GT4 Will it make me buy a PSTwo?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cobra_UK
  • 184 comments
  • 6,298 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
in reply to #58 (yeah the guy is like a dog with a frisbee, he won't let go)

Zer0 ah you're still doing your DICTATOR thing. Good luck with that. It won't stop other people reading this thread though.;)

Now do you really think I care about your opinion? Wait do you actually have one? Looks like it's just ridicule, attitude and lack of respect for other people's opinions if they differ from yours. But wait what was your opinion?:lol:
 
Zer0
Cobra_UK ah you're still doing your HYPOCRITE thing. Good luck with that. It won't stop other people buying GT4 though.;)
Fixed.
 
You're surprised you're not getting intelligent critisicm? How could you not expect to be biased in here, Cobra?

I notice you edit more than half of your posts about 5 minutes after. I can't listen to someone who doesn't have an unwavering opinion.

And don't give the franchise so much credit. The PS2 is a very very old console, and it really can't do much but barely keep up with its 2-year younger opponent, the Xbox.

Damage, as i have read before, was not added because Kazunori himself stated that the kind of crashes in this game would leave the cars in pieces on the roadtrack. I think if they focused too much on damage, they would not be able to focus on their core aspect - realistic car behavior/drive quality.

Wait do you actually have one? Looks like it's just ridicule, attitude and lack of respect for other people's opinions if they differ from yours. But wait what was your opinion?:lol

I'm asking you the same questions, edit spammer. ;)
 
Cobra_UK
Well here is the problem, I played GT3 and was very disappointed. Features like damage, good AI, 3D people, online play, custom individual body kits (as in just a spoiler or just a bonnet intake or a front splitter), custom decals were still missing. The fact that some cars didn't have a racing number and just a blank space where the number should be was also annoying. The number of cars included wasn't much and I was missing all the classics and obscure models from GT2.

Those were things people had been asking for since the first ever GT1. However years after GT3 and a long agonising wait has turned many GT players (like myself) to other games, consoles.

Then GT4 starts taking shape, it's impressive and looks like it may be it, just like GT2, and GT3 did. Everyone is hoping that this will finally give us what we've been waiting for. But no... A lot of new things have been added and one or two of the things people have been waiting for (but even those not fully). Why?

Because it's business, GT is now a franchise, they'll give us players little by little what we want and hold back things to squeeze as much income as possible. After all is published by SONY. A lot of other games have incorporated the features GT is missing with great effect so why is GT not? Because they will hold it for the next release and we'll have to spend a bit more cash to buy that too (want online, pay again for an online version late next year).

Do you know when a publisher/developer gets away with this? When there's no competition.

So will I buy a PSTwo and GT4? No.

GT4 DOES have competition, why would you say there's no competition? i see plently. there's forza for the xbox, race driver 2 for multiplataform just to name a few.

so you're saying they hold back things so they can squeeze more money from you 5 years later? (wich is about as long as it takes for a new version to come out.)

That makes no sense what so ever... this sin't EA just updating a few stats and selling you a "new" game evry year.
the new GT features a lot more cars, accurate tracks this time around, an updated graphics engine that suprases even the best looking xbox games when it comes to pixel shaders, and most importantly, a completley new physics engine, to me, that's more than enough to upgrade.
there's no damage... no surprise here either, the developers went for the best graphics they could get for the PS2, at 60 frames per second, there's NO WAY to get graphics as detailed as that, and still have room for realistic crash physics, don't like the trade off? tough ****, there's forza for you, don't like either game? go play a PC game then, lots of racing sims out there.
Good AI... this one's actually important, specially since PD just chose to remove online from the game, wich was just as important as the other new additions i mentioned, and one that should've been prioritzied over "photo mode" or "B-Spec"
this again, has to be due to the design desitions made early on about pushing the graphic envelope to the PS2 limit, leaving no room for good AI, hopefully when the PS3 comes out, the team will take a different aproach, and just not try to go for photo realisim, but instead leave enough room for evrything they couldn't include here.
What's very obvious to me is that you understand very little about hardware and it's limitations, so before you go out on a rampage do some reasearch.
Forza has crash physics, more polygons, presumably better AI and bodykits, but guess what? even though the xbox is more powerful than the PS2 the game will only run at 30 Frames per second because of that, so as you can see, they also made trade offs the same way PD did with GT4.

i've played the BMW demo of GT4, and for a sim fan like me the new stuff is more than enough to make me want to buy it, it's been 4 years since the last GT, and it shows, this time the PS2 is truly being pushed to it's limits.
so please, stop preaching your uninformed points of view here, it's very obvious to me that you just pulled all that stuff out of your ass, its far from an educated opinion, considering you have never played the game, sure we all want the best graphics, with the best physics, 1000 cars, bodykits, real tracks, realistic sound, and just about evrything that the real world can produce, but if you want that on a PS2 you'll just end up very disapointed.
and this time around they actually got some of those things right.
 
SaintKamus, they have essentialy taken GTC, and upgraded it abit...that is ABIT EA like.

Forza runs at 30 fps for a number of reasons, one being that the xbox is not THAT powerful.
 
Here it is, the definition of forum trolls include, starting a personal war against someone on somebody else's thread, taking the thread off-topic (thread hijacking), ignite flames on a somebody else's thread (hoping for thread closure), ridiculing other members and their opinions. Now look at Jedi2016, Zer0 and donkee's posts on this thread and you'll see them in action. Believe it or not sometimes they even work together. Just read this descriptions on the net about forum trolls. There'll probably be more soon...

I'm trying to hold my own but I don't want to risk thread closure so I'll leave it where it is and hope people that read this thread will find the important posts worthwhile. I will reply again when a post deserves replying to.
 
code_kev
capnlarge, you have PLAYED rsc2, best racing game availible to buy imo. BY FAR. Theres so much to it (great races, great multiplayer, amazing graphics, fantastic sound, brilliant night time racing, cool cars, plays really really well), and it's brilliant fun.

And the n64 comment is UTTER BS. 👎


You're right...the N64 DID have Mario Kart. :P

As for Rallisport, I agree it's good, but I'm not a huge fan of dedicated rally racing games. I prefer games where you can take, say a Mustang or a Mercedes, throw some dirt tires on them and see how they perform on the dirt.
 
You leave much to be desired and also leave me disappointed, Cobra_UK.

Maybe you should buy GT4 after all eh? ;)
 
code_kev
SaintKamus, they have essentialy taken GTC, and upgraded it abit...that is ABIT EA like.

Forza runs at 30 fps for a number of reasons, one being that the xbox is not THAT powerful.

Abit? I never played GTC but I'm sure it didn't have 650+ cars, 50+ tracks, better graphics and tectures, and the lil :crazy: change to the physics engine. Nurb, Sears point, Capri...? This aint no lil upgrade. You just love getting a rise out of ppl :sly:
 
Originally posted by Cobra_UK
I like to edit my posts if I find a spelling mistake or want to add something, wow! Last time I checked there wasn't a law against that.

There should be, when you add something to every other post. Just so the next guy that reads it won't think you're a complete jackass.
 
Cobra_UK
Here it is, the definition of forum trolls include, starting a personal war against someone on somebody else's thread, taking the thread off-topic (thread hijacking), ignite flames on a somebody else's thread (hoping for thread closure), ridiculing other members and their opinions. Now look at Jedi2016, Zer0 and donkee's posts on this thread and you'll see them in action.
  • Troll Message is an outrageous message posted to a message board, newsgroup or mailing list to bait people to answer.

"Sometimes, Internet troll is trying to spin conflicting information, is questioning in an insincere manner, flaming discussion, insulting people, turning people against each other, harassing forum members, ignoring warnings from forum moderators."

"Alternatively, they may protest that their right to free speech is being curtailed."

Hypocrite.
 
in reply to #63
Giancarlo
I like to edit my posts if I find a spelling mistake or want to add something, wow!
Last time I checked there wasn't a law against that. As for an opinion the first and foremost thread has the opinions mate, might want to start there. Perhaps it's why the only thing you commented on was damage was because you never read the thread start properly. There were a lot of other points made also. As for a biased opinion, no problem, I have nothing against that, just against being called names, ridiculed, and treated with lack of respect. Most people tend to have a problem with that. I leave you disappointed? Hahaha are you for real?

in reply to #64
SaintKamus
Well all I have posted has been information from IGN, gamespot and GTPlanet regarding and the thread is actually based on that information. Sorry but I did not pull it out of where you said but you have the right to believe what you want, politeness would not go amiss but forget it you two really aren't worth it...cya
 
The other thing Cobra seems to be forgetting is that WE didn't sell off our PS2's. So none of us are in the position of having to spend $200 to play GT4. I've still got my first-gen PS2, bough it on release day, and I'll be first in line on GT4's release day to buy the game. Since I already have a PS2, there's no problem.

Sounds almost like you're trying to justify your lack of a PS2 by saying that GT4 just isn't worth it. In which case, the millions of people who will buy GT4 will probably prove you wrong.

As far as damage goes, I made a very in-depth post about it in another thread. KY can't get REAL damage into the game, the PS2 simply isn't capable of it. So it ain't there. Period. And this is where you respond with "Well, other games have damage", to which I respond, "No they don't". What other games have is FAKE damage. Pre-modeled "damaged" cars that are swapped out in-game to simulate the appearance of damage. Real damage requires intense calculations to determine what part of the body should crumple where, and how much, based on speed, direction, and point of impact. And it would also need to use those same calculations to determine precisely how the car's performance is affected by that damage. This is "real" damage, which NO game to date has ever done. That's the only kind of damage that KY would want in GT, a kind of damage that's up to par with the rest of the game. It's currently impossible on the PS2, ergo it's not there. Waa-waa.

Your statement about wanting intelligent discussion is somewhat interesting, considering you didn't ask any sort of question in the initial post. All you said was that GT4, in your opinion, wasn't worth the $200 investment of a new system + game. So we're supposed to sit here and discuss your opinion? Or what? What exactly did you want us to "intelligently discuss"? The lack of the features you so desperately desire? Everything you mentioned has been brought up on these forums time and again, they've been discussed to death. In effect, the thread is pointless. After all, you yourself have spent the entire thread bickering and arguing with other users. Does that really serve the purpose you intended? I seriously doubt it. There are two options.. either that IS your intention, and you're sitting back enjoying all of this (as per your previous post that your friends at work are getting a laugh out of it), in which case my initial argument was dead-on. Or, the thread has gotten far beyond your control and/or original intent, in which case normal procedure is to lock the thread. Your lack of willingness to do so seems to point to purpose #1, that you came here to do nothing but stir up some ****.
 
I have had enough of you Jedi2016 again making assumptions about my intentions and have reported your second thread.

The thread is a mess due to people like yourself and to be honest I will not post anymore and hope the thread will stay open...

I will ignore you Jedi2016 and others like you that came on this thread with such nasty attitude and will only respond to the people that reply to this thread respectfully.
 
Yeah this thread has lost its point. It wants to be a GT vs Forza thread but that has been talked to death already (150+pgs!). I'll go back to the original question (which was interesting). Is GT4 worth buying a PSTWO? HELL FU<KIN YEAH! Is Forza worth buying a XBox? Um....no.
 
Your definition of respect is an odd one. I don't recall posting anything disrespectful in my responses, it seems to be more a matter of your interpretation. I asked some very pointed and very on-topic questions in my last post, and your only answer was "I don't like you anymore". I've no fear of the Admins here.. I know how to play by the rules, and I know very well where the "line" is. I admin myself on several other forums, so I know the sort of thing to watch out for. I've been doing this internet forum thing for a long time now, I can play the game very well if you wish to dance.

In regards to your reporting my posts... well, that's certainly your right to do so, but I don't quite understand what you hope to accomplish. You seem to be under the impression that by pushing the "Report" button, you can have me banned or something. However, as I've done nothing worth censuring, the Admins will probably only read the posts you've reported, then come examine the thread itself. All the "Report" button does is send a copy of my text to the Admins and Mods to read, nothing more. Which, as I said, is perfectly fine by me, as much of what I said was meant for their ears anyway.

Oh, and please do not PM me about reporting my posts.. it serves no purpose except to brag.

Incidentally, how old are you? Surely someone near my own age would be a bit more tactful and willing to discuss alternate viewpoints and answer the questions asked of him.
 
You just love getting a rise out of ppl

Hook, line and sinker dunkee

how do you know that forza isnt worth buying an xbox for? It could be a great game, on par with Gt4 in terms of playability and depth for all you know.

BTW I bought my ps2 for gt4 :)
 
Jedi2016, i agree with everything you've said so far, and Cobra_UK, you've made some fair points too. Now can we all please grow up and stop argueing.

But cobra, if you aren't going to buy GT4, then don't. But you dont have to tell us all your reasons for not buying it, were not interested.
 
lol this thread is great!

Cobra_UK: You make a thread about purchasing GT4 and you go on to bash GT3 and how it doesn't have "all the features". When was the last time you played a game, ANY game, that was 100% complete and had every feature you could possibly think of with the highest texture quality/sound/graphics..etc..etc..? I'm not saying GT4 is 100% complete at what it's aiming for but it's getting there.

Then you bring up how "Sony" would like to hold off the game to milk it's consumers... riiiight.... so THAT's why they kept delaying it and are bringing it out this late. You know what? Business IS business, how do you think companies are supose to make money? Look at any consumer product in the world. They all have their flaws. But that's what the next version is for: upgrading. And I like how you say "there's no competition", so? what's your point? don't like it don't use it. Don't cry about how windows will bring up the blue screen of death if you don't like it but still use it cuz your ignorant.


Cobra_UK
I have had enough of you Jedi2016 again making assumptions about my intentions and have reported your second thread.
So what happened to this free speech thing you were yammering about...


PS: oh, and starting a thread like this: what did you THINK was going to happen?
 
dunkee
You are gonna start a lil war here (this is GTplanet)...not that there is anything wrong w/ that. However, there already is a 150+ page thread about GT vs Forza. You can go there and talk about how much would would prefer Forza over GT if you like. As for code-kev and T5-R, you guys are temporary sell-outs...but you will come crawling back once GT4 comes out.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Temporary sell-outs?! I don't have a clue how you reached that conclusion. Not once have I said I would boycott GT4, I have merely said how dissapointed how many things have been left out. And no photomode does not make up for GTs short comings, more of an insult I think.
 
code_kev
Hook, line and sinker dunkee

how do you know that forza isnt worth buying an xbox for? It could be a great game, on par with Gt4 in terms of playability and depth for all you know.

BTW I bought my ps2 for gt4 :)

I was speaking only in my opinion...others may buy into the hype and would gladly pay the money. As for me, someone who is older & doesn't like to wastefully spend money, Forza doesn't seem like it's worth it. I bought the PS2 only for GT3 (I actually got the bundle) but I knew what GT was about. But an Xbox for Forza, a no-name company? It's too much of a gamble to take w/ someone so new to the racing sim genre. I'm not interested in any other game for Xbox. So far what I have seen and read about Forza does not make me want to buy it. OFC, I still need to play it before I officially decide but as of right now I have no intent on shelling 200 beans for it. They're gonna have to really blow me away w/ something, and damage and body kits aint gonna cut it.
 
please close this pointless thread so people wont spam, like me.
 
T5-R
:lol: :lol: :lol: Temporary sell-outs?! I don't have a clue how you reached that conclusion. Not once have I said I would boycott GT4, I have merely said how dissapointed how many things have been left out. And no photomode does not make up for GTs short comings, more of an insult I think.

Photomode & BSpec does not make up for the things you are disappointed about...but what about everything else they put in? The beautiful tracks like Nurb (which is 1 out of like 50), the Holy $hit physics, the open-top realistic drivers, 650+ cars. How can you guys not appreciate that and yet ask for more? The jump from GT3 to GT4 is incredible. It is the same compared to GT2 from GT1. It would be so cool if you guys were not allowed to play GT4 cause you complain so much. Then you would appreciate it more.
 
T5-R
I have merely said how dissapointed how many things have been left out. And no photomode does not make up for GTs short comings, more of an insult I think.
Very nicely put, and code_kev strangely enough I am starting to agree with what you have been saying, photomode, b-spec, no online, no damage not even an indicator rather than visual does seem to be lacking in this day and age.

Forza
GTR
Toca Race Driver 2

In fact most racing sims that have been and are coming up for release have and are incorporating the same formula; realistic handling and physics, damage and fairly clever opponents, as well as online play also. Not shooting down GT4 or anything but I understand what people are talking about and I can also see what Cobra UK is all about asking if GT4 is worth buying a PSTwo for. to this I would say maybe, however a PSTwo is worth buying for GT4, GTA:SA and Killzone to name a few.

On the other side an Xbox is worth buying for Forza, Halo 2 and I'm not upto speed much on upcoming Xbox titles.

Best thing to do is wait and see, then you can try them out yourself and judge for yourself.
 
I think he got banned. :odd: Great thread guys, keep it up! 👍

Anyways, I think the person with the biggest attitude on here is cobra. He comes into a GT board and pulls a stunt to get attention, and then bashes everyone left and right, ridiculing this, making fun of members, telling them what to say and what not to say, acting like a big-shot and all. I think he has controll issues. His friends ignore him at school and that pisses him off, so he comes on this board and yells at everyone, ridiculing a great game that he won't even buy. I kinda hope he didn't get banned so he could respond to this, but that would be pure trolling. [hehe] :) Just my 2 cents.
 
I absolutely agree with "_aj". Of course you can say that by the fourth reincarnation the GT series should be very close to perfect instead of lacking features the fans might hunger for. On the other hand, there are a lot of limitations to cosider: time, money, abilities of the hardware, abstract wishes of some fans. That's why you can't put in everything somebody would like to see.
And talking about the features of the game: I don't think they're holding some features back intentionally to be able to place them piece by piece in GTx.

Ok, you might say, but there are lots of people that'd like to have customizable cars, damage or online play. And there are several reasons why these features still didn't make it into the game. Nevertheless this is one of the best, if not the best, driving game series ever made. You also should consider the different tastes of Europeans, Americans and Asians. Maybe some of these features aren't as popular in Asia as they are in Europe or America, which means they only have low priority to get into the game.

If you asked me personally if I would buy a PStwo for GT4, I'd say yes. When my first PS1 broke, I bought a new one only for Gran Turismo. And I bought my PS2 only for GT3. So you can assume I'd buy a PStwo for GT4 if I needed one. I can understand if you have doubts about it. But if the alternative is to buy an X-BOX and Forza for about the same money, I'd take GT4 and the PStwo. I'm not saying Forza is a bad game, but I'll rather stick to the GT series. If Forza turns out to be really really good though, I might consider getting both games & consoles. But I don't think GT4 could be as bad and Forza could be as good that I'd only go for X-BOX alone.

But like "_aj" already recommended: have a try at GT4 when it comes out! Then you'll know if you'll want it or not, and then you should decide whether or not to buy it.

Regards,
the Interceptor
 
dunkee
Photomode & BSpec does not make up for the things you are disappointed about...but what about everything else they put in? The beautiful tracks like Nurb (which is 1 out of like 50), the Holy $hit physics, the open-top realistic drivers, 650+ cars. How can you guys not appreciate that and yet ask for more? The jump from GT3 to GT4 is incredible. It is the same compared to GT2 from GT1. It would be so cool if you guys were not allowed to play GT4 cause you complain so much. Then you would appreciate it more.

Of course tracks & cars is always good as is improving existing features (such as the handling), but with crap AI & no online it will make it alot harder to appreciate such efforts. Since instead of thinking 'Wow this is so great, it feels like I'm really pushing this car to its limits & being neck 'n' neck with my opponent is fantastic' its 'This handling is nice, oh damn! *shunt* gone into the back of the dumb AI again as they brake far to harshly for a corner' There is more to the game than just numbers, as a driving simulator surely it should focus just as much on the racing element as this is one of the most fun aspects of driving.

As for not being able to play GT4 & being unappreciative, I'd say it was appreciative waiting for a such a long time for a proper sequel (GT4) & then finding out one of the best features (online) which would push it to the next level had been missed out. Just because I can see GTs faults doesn't make me any less deserving. Besides at the end of the day (as is also becoming more noticable) PD just wants our cash & as customers we have the right to have expectations. Especially when it was one of the most promoted & major features...

(Wouldn't suprise me if GT Online was cancelled & moved onto the PS3).
 
The reason I got a PS2 was because of the amount of good games out there, including GT
Forza looks promising but so far I don't see it as being graphically superior. Even though xbox has the power but no racing game has been able to capture the atmosphere of driving. The reflections in GT still haven't been matched by any other racing game. GT just feels different, and i've played lots of racing games.

Forza will not make me buy a xbox.. cause i don't like the games. There is just not enough japanese game support or games that suits me.

GT is more than a game now it's a car industry marketing tool. Backed by so many manufacturers who actually use the program to market their vehicles. I think this kind of support shows how GT is above the rest

Artz
 
The reflections in GT still haven't been matched by any other racing game.

AHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

OMG HE'S BEING SERIOUS!!!:dunce:

So his reasons consist of "gt looks better" and "gt feels different" (which when you think about it is obvious as no 2 games really feel alike).

btw halo 2 :D
 
Heres my opinion.

_B-spec sucks. I dont want to tell some guy how to drive his car I want to drive the car.
_Damage is insignificant. The idea is not to ever hit the other cars or the wall.
_Photo mode is cool. I like the Idea of having real life pics of my GT cars.
_Better AI would be nice, but for me half the game is racing and the other half is doing solo runs tying to break times. besides, when some idiot car rams me I just pretend he's trying to be a prick and take me out either to be mean or because he knows I'm so good.
_Body kits would be good. But definately one offs, not real life parts. I DON'T want any of those stupid "slap this on your car and it'll be three inches lower" body kits. Side skirts do nothing to the CG. If your car wont go low enough for you then get a fender upgrade or tub it. thats how you slam a car. And also, a well designed, carbon fiber body kit will improve aerodynamics, downforce, and weight. and perhaps even allow for adjustable downforce.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back