GT4 WRS Week 126 : VW Beetle Cup Car @ Midfield

• Thread starter Sjaak
  • 83 comments
Not to give away any secrets but I've spent most of my time practising in time trial mode and then run a few races at the end of the session. I have a ghost saved which is pretty fast at this point (57.xxx second split and a fast finish) so it's good practice chasing it.

I decided to do the same to evaluate some alternative lines for the pre- and post-tunnel turns between T1 and T2. It was useful for that, but the physics seem quite different - after three laps I was down to a 47.2 T2 which is .9 faster than any T2 I've managed before or since :confused:.

Hmmm, I tried practising in time trial mode but without the tyre wear the car felt completely different and I didn't think it was much use...

Also, I've changed my mind, it's faster without TCS ;)

I've also come to the conclusion that no TCS is the way to go (if only I could switch it off after the launch :lol:)

No new spits, by the way, but have improved total time by .750

I'd guess I'm definitely faster on the time trial track, I've seen some sub 24.5 first splits which I haven't been able to repeat during the race (too much pressure maybe :-)). The handling does feel different, I agree there.

You don't need TCS for the launch, that part I have down now. Before the start shift to 2nd and hold the throttle at just below max. You can find the level with a bit of trial and error but the key is you should be able to hold this at launch and not see any significant wheelspin. Once you're moving ease it smoothly up to full throttle and change at redline. Doing this I've been able to pass the lead car in time to go to the outer edge in 5th before the first corner and I've seen 33.8xxx on the first split and can reliably get low 34s if I don't bugger anything up.

Now if I could only figure out how to go through that friggin tunnel fast. I've tried all three possible lines so far, slow, slower and slowest :(

33.827/57.304
25.174/48.481
24.652/48.087
I still have plenty to improve, but I've got a racing line selected and now it's down to perfecting it. I especially need to work on that hairpin just after the S bend.
I'm loving this more than I thought I would however.

BTW I've been using no TCS this whole time and I'm glad it hasn't been for nothing. 👍

You don't need TCS for the launch, that part I have down now. Before the start shift to 2nd and hold the throttle at just below max. You can find the level with a bit of trial and error but the key is you should be able to hold this at launch and not see any significant wheelspin. Once you're moving ease it smoothly up to full throttle and change at redline. Doing this I've been able to pass the lead car in time to go to the outer edge in 5th before the first corner and I've seen 33.8xxx on the first split and can reliably get low 34s if I don't bugger anything up.

Now if I could only figure out how to go through that friggin tunnel fast. I've tried all three possible lines so far, slow, slower and slowest :(
That's the way! Now for the tunnel, it's not only the tunnel that you need to worry about(3rd or 4th work similarly here, otherwise I just using third for the start of the race and that tight turn before the winding turns onto the main straight), but the long sweeper before the T2 mark. Stay wide and apex late, getting on the gas as soon as you can without going wide. This is where keeping your foot/finger on the throttle is important, just make sure you're not giving it too much gas or else you'll plow off the course.

👍 👍

Definitely having fun with this combo, and it's also bringing me back into cursing at the TV at times... :lol: Time for another quick stint, not expecting anything though until I take a longer stint tomorrow and/or Sunday.

First set of decent splits. Still not entirely happy though.

Gotta run a few more this weekend.

L1 - 34.259 58.045
L2 - 25.107 48.384
L3 - 25.201 48.490

I can't seem to find the groove I once had on this :ouch: I do have new splits that are very similiar to my last ones but gained .2 at the line, I know I should be another .3 faster but it's elusive..... I'll probably sub what I have so far seeing as how I'm off to rustle up some blue grouse soon 👍

Good luck all, it seems to be heating up.

Finally snagged something that contained some blend of consistency and speed. I've really been struggling with getting decent second and third laps, but I think I've managed to at least maintain some decent speed.

33.846 57.190(seen 33.6xx once, and 57.04x on the race before this one)
24.607 47.824(seen 24.511, 47.6 once)
24.694 47.895
1'23.147 2'32.909

These are ~.8 faster than the splits currently on the leaderboard, although I had a race with similar if not slower splits that was .6 faster than the current leaderboard splits, so...

I'm still searching for more time, if everything was perfect I think I could pick up another 8 tenths, but :lol: like that's going to happen. We'll see if I can shave more off before the deadline, I won't be dissatisfied if I have to submit these though.

New splits ... a few mistakes but set a lap record on the last lap :) Brave pills, we don't need no stinking brave pills ....

34.096 57.704
24.669 48.145
24.598 47.846

Not a huge improvement but shaved .8s off the overall time compared to the previous splits so the finishes are definitely improved.

Improved by about a second overall and have these new splits:
34.120 57.549
24.747 47.937
24.802 48.201
1:23.669 2:33.687

Think I've finally figured out a good line through the first tunnel which is getting me into the 47's for T2.

By the way, anyone have a theory as to why lap 3 is faster than lap 2? I noticed it with my own times and then when I checked the leaderboard in almost all cases lap 3 is also the fastest. The only thing I can come up with is that although the tires are more worn the balance is improved. Judging by the colors it looks like the fronts go off first and as the session progresses the rear wear catches up to the fronts.

Finally had time for some laps, hard to get a rhythm without a ghost car and only 3 laps at a time. Great combo, challenging. I'm terrible between T1 and T2 on the final two laps.

33.856/57.118
24.691/48.006
24.527/47.731

New splits for me there could be still .4 out there but maybe .2 in the splits

0'33.751/ 0'56.995

0'24.553/ 0'47.673

0'24.636/ 0'47.775

good luck everyone 👍

By the way, anyone have a theory as to why lap 3 is faster than lap 2? I noticed it with my own times and then when I checked the leaderboard in almost all cases lap 3 is also the fastest. The only thing I can come up with is that although the tires are more worn the balance is improved. Judging by the colors it looks like the fronts go off first and as the session progresses the rear wear catches up to the fronts.
The tires aren't worn, they're warming up. They're actually increasing in grip until they're almost orange, and that's when they start losing grip. The car's front wheel drive, so the front tires have a LOT more stress on them than the rears.
Submitting my time... On with the rally! (and the BC7 ;) )
Where can we see the results and standings and what not for how the BC is going so far?

And Ren-tec, FLYING my man, just flying. 👍👍

We'll see if I can chop some more off here in a few minutes. I have an hour or two I can commit to this if I put off putting stuff on ebay some more, which is what I've been doing for a couple weeks now... :ouch:

EDIT: Meh, too much effort. Time submitted from current splits! I wonder if they'll be enough to move up a spot in the standings... Probably not though. Oh well, it was fun!

The Board Challenge is being ran here

As for this race, I can't see how I lose so much time at the launch, my 33.9 seemed perfect and other splits that are not so good give me a closer difference to the top guys?

New splits for me there could be still .4 out there but maybe .2 in the splits

0'33.751/ 0'56.995

0'24.553/ 0'47.673

0'24.636/ 0'47.775

Flying splits, Mike :crazy: How did you manage the last section of the track?

As for this race, I can't see how I lose so much time at the launch, my 33.9 seemed perfect and other splits that are not so good give me a closer difference to the top guys?

What's your starting technique? Gear, tcs, amount of throttle? With cars with little traction there's a lot to be gained and lost at the start ;)

No submitting from me this week. I'm really not happy with my times and don't have any time left for more runs.

I start in 2nd gear as you said earlier, about 80% throttle and no TCS.

80% sounds way too low ... you should definitely be up higher without getting wheelspin. Given how good you are on the second and third laps, 33.8xxx should be a no brainer for you. I don't even bother continuing if I miss 34.1 and I'm way down here in Div 2 :) Try 90% and hold it until everything grips and then push it up smoothly so that you're at full throttle by about 1000 RPM before redline.

I really should submit at this point. Yesterday was a run made in heaven (for me, not anyone who has talent) and in two sessions I haven't come close to knocking it off. The obsessive compulsive in me is sitting here whispering ... "go on give it another try ... you might just run faster ... you might just have chance at a division win ... the wife and kids will understand" :)

Splits from my sub -

34.548/58.498
24.794/48.798
24.980/48.727

Good Luck to All

Kevin

33.668/57.052
24.672/47.841
24.530/47.866

Very frustrated with sector 2-missing speed somewhere.

Fun week. Can't wait to see the finishing order.

Flying splits, Mike :crazy: How did you manage the last section of the track?

What's your starting technique? Gear, tcs, amount of throttle? With cars with little traction there's a lot to be gained and lost at the start ;)

Lol cheers Hugo but i pretty much droped .2 i think i my last lap but a good .250 off my total thou :P (choked on the last lap :()

Ok final splits and iv had a dam good time runing this one :cheers: Sjaak

0'33.671/ 0'56.994

0'24.509/ 0'47.669

0'24.447/ 0'47.485

.3 faster than my last race at the line ;)

Back