GT4 WRS Week 170 : Opel Calibra @ Nurburgring

• Thread starter Sphinx
  • 106 comments
T3. 1'42.059 (seen 1'41.7)
T5. 3'06.674 (seen 3'06.3)
T8. 4'59.882

Been testing the ending a lot so managed 1.2s over my other time. Usually on Nurb combos I restart alot for sectors 1-3, but I can actually test passed T8 this time since I'm not crashing much.

Still a lot of errors although first time I've been under 5'00 at T8 even though I've been ahead .5 at T7 I mess up and get 5'00.3.

Optimal lap is probably 1'41.1/3'05.1/4'56 so I'll run a bit more later.

Been testing the ending a lot so managed 1.2s over my other time. Usually on Nurb combos I restart alot for sectors 1-3, but I can actually test passed T8 this time since I'm not crashing much.

I see you were participating in a Nurburgring series a few years back. I'm sure that you have run this track plenty of times and must of been happy to see this weeks combo.
I will look forward to your replay if needed. I would like to compare it to mine in certain sectors that I am not performing well, especially t5 - t8.
I am loosing quite a bit of time through those sections, despite no real mistakes. The next session I will be going through that area over and over after watching some old WRS replays on the lines and techniques taken through there.
I was working on that darn Galgenkopf and I feel pretty smooth through there now. I have been trying to keep the speed for that long straight to the finish. Its working.

Actually tried a couple of the recent Ring WRS's and I do much worse than I used to. It's just with this combo, (maybe not if it was the Vauxhall car) I can go all out speed after T1/T5/ before T10 quick easily whereas I would be crashing quite a bit and never making it passed T5 much.

As for T5-T8 and this car in general loses a lot of time if you don't downshift sometimes even if you are going to upshift in 5 more mph. I could give you more information in PM if you send those individual splits (T5-T6-T7-T8), because these ones as T5-T8 isn't really a good indication of anything.

Kenny I can see your tail lights now. I just keep chipping away at it. T8 to finish is probably my best sector, that and start to t3. Like you I'm losing a lot of time t3-t8.

I have my moments but they are usually met with disaster.:banghead:

1'43.614
3'09.907
5'07.214

picked up 1.8 at the line however!

Had a long session today. Switched to 270 top speed, which is definitely the way to go I think.

About two hours of solid driving, with a fair bit of frustration along the way :indiff:, came to these splits:

t3: 1'43.972
t5: 3'11.424 (mistake between t4 and t5 :indiff:)
t8: 5'07.511

It looks pretty close in D3, but I think I'm pretty much at my limit, so I hope my t8-finish is good enough... :nervous:

Hey, Andy, not playing ball this week? :sly:

Not much players participate regularly in the WRS nowadays, maybe 20 or so. This number tends to drop as GT4 is getting older and GT5 kicks in. But I still play both games.

My first laps are all dirty or slow (restarted), so I don't have any splits to post, but I'm running very close to jmgyro's pace. I think I'm slower than him at T3 (best was 1'42.3) but faster at T5 and T8. I used gears at 270 but 280 is probably better.

Thanks for the answer. It's as I thought it was. Also the reason I was near the top 2 weeks ago. This just confirms what I thought. Thanks.

My first laps are all dirty or slow (restarted), so I don't have any splits to post, but I'm running very close to jmgyro's pace. I think I'm slower than him at T3 (best was 1'42.3) but faster at T5 and T8. I used gears at 270 but 280 is probably better.

Yea I had a couple days of just restarts with no progress, but seem to be doing a bit more efficiently now as I really hate seeings T1-T3 again and again.
Just did 1'42.2/3'06.3/4'59.1, but crashed twice which sucks. I did compare splits with 2 people though and to one person I'm losing 1.1s just from T4->T5 alone so I've got to ask how fast are you guys going on the 2 turns right after T4. I really never got the hang of that little sector since I can never find grip.

Those turns are some of the hardest of the track. It's one of the places where I (and probably most of you as well) lose many good laps either with crashes or lots of lost time. I was doing them in 3rd gear, for the first one I used a braking point at the right side of the track (I don't remember exactly what it is, it's where grass ends and tarmac starts or something like this) and I take it between 130-135 kmh, and for the second one I brake at the beginning of the uphill and take it at 125-130 kmh.

Yea I think the first turn there I was in 4th so maybe I'm losing some power, I can't drive with the ghost while turning so I can't tell exactly how I'm gaining/losing time. I did manage a better time by getting 0.5 quicker in that sector but I lost that much time right before T8, but overall 1.1s quicker.

T3. 1'41.984
T5. 3'06.243
T8. 4'59.424

update:
T3. 1'41.717
T5. 3'06.213
T8. 4'58.992

.4 more although lost that .270 I made up in the first 3 sectors to T5.

Great T3, can you tell what are your T1 and T2 times? My best is 4x.3, 1'14.8 and 1'42.3. T3 could be a bit better with this T2, but still I don't know where I'm losing so much time.

Thanks, I'm not sure if you can but I don't see why not.

0'42.034/1'14.507/1'41.717

Best T2 I've seen, but I've seen 0'42.3-> 1'14.616 and 0'41.9 at T1. So optimal is like 0'41.9/1'14.2, but I just want to get around 1'42 flat at T3, since even in my best lap so far I took the turn right after T3 poorly and had to brake instead of going all out.

T3 143.158
T5 3.08.851 .6 slower than last time
T8 5.02.776 2 sec quicker than last time - Dont give up the times are out there !!

On a squeaky clean lap

This Mornings times.....

T3 1.43.044
T5 3.07.738
T8 5.01.468

Tempting combo but I'm gonna skip this one due to a leg injury(shin splints) which heals very slowly. I did run 5 laps to get a taste of this car. My splits are only a bit quicker than jymgyro's. He and Kenny are on fire this week:tup:

Third session brought it down to:

1'44.387
3'10.837
5'06.769

Very nervous finish though. :nervous:

Here's the lap I'm submitting:

1'42.054
3'06.152
4'59.532
Top speed 280

I had big mistakes at Aremburg, the hairpin before the Karrussel, the fast right-hander after T8 and the last corner, as well as some minor mistakes. So, I guess the lap could be a bit over 2 seconds better.

I got 1'41.9/3'05.8/4'58.7 but managed to only gain 0.20 :ouch:
Think I also got the same final time off 4'59.3 so you may have got me at the moment Cmir. Have seen 1'41.5/3'05.4/4'58.1 which could of been 4'57 but I choked and crashed shortly after and it was kind of a fluke run.

Great splits there, it would take me some more time to match that 👍 Honestly I don't think I will win this week, as I said I have 2 mistakes after T8 and your T8 is already better than mine, so you could only end behind me with a terrible last T8-finish part. Furthermore, I have already submitted my lap so I won't improve.

True, but I had to go one last time since it's been bothering me.

1'41.795
3'05.958
4'58.569

Was .3 behind at T8 and T9, but my ghost scrubbed out after that mini carousel and I caught up and got .5 more. Think I'm done as well as my thumb is all messed up and I'm about to lose it.

BOARD Update

I ran a few laps last night, but I was a little worn down from my trip. Managed a few with T8 around 5:10, I just kept messing up just after T9 and running off track. I'm sure I'll be able to put together a clean one tonight, just a matter of whether it will be quick. :dopey:

Just as I want to start posting my time in the WRS, I decide to come back on a week at the Nurburgring... bad timing
Its the one track i have really never invested much time on
Im flying off all over the place!
Maybe the next race is a better one for me

I love this combo! The configuration with low HP but good grip makes this car very enjoyable to push to its limit, especially at the Ring! :)

Some splits:

1'42.605
3'07.624
5'01.376

Using DS2 for this one. Quite pleased with that time, but will try to break it tomorrow (and I'll also try to remember to submit this week :dunce: )

Latest Posts

Back