GT40...seriously?

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
I bought the GT40 today and it drives like a tank, seriously.
I went for extreme tuning for oversteer but it's hardly made any difference. Am l missing something, or is this car undriveable?
It feels so bad with it's performance!

So now l have the GT MK IV which is undriveable due to it spinning out and now l have the GT40 which is undriveable due to it feeling like a tank. What the hell gives...?

This game is doing my head in!

This is not a pleasure at all. I have tried the diff at all settings and it's still a dog's dinner. It's unreal.

If anyone has a tune i'd be interested because this is nuts!

Well, l may have been a bit quick to lower the darn thing but raising it helps a little.

Ok, so here's the deal. Do not put any carbon brakes on it. For some reason they seriously impede and prevent the car from performing on the track. So much! Taking them off has literally changed the whole cars performance for the better...

That to me, is fricking weird!

Last edited:
Ok, so here's the deal. Do not put any carbon brakes on it. For some reason they seriously impede and prevent the car from performing on the track. So much! Taking them off has literally changed the whole cars performance.

Don't carbon brakes need to be up to temperature to work well? I have no idea if the game simulates that but it's something to think about.

Well, l may have been a bit quick to lower the darn thing but raising it helps a little.

Ok, so here's the deal. Do not put any carbon brakes on it. For some reason they seriously impede and prevent the car from performing on the track. So much! Taking them off has literally changed the whole cars performance for the better...

Same thing happened to me with carbon brakes, but I can't remember which car it was (maybe R32 or Toyota 86???). Switched them back again and it was driveable again... yep, weird!!

I have them in the R32 and they're fine so it must be the 86.

When the carbon brakes are on the GT40, they come on too strong and slow it down too much, even when feathering the brakes. It's nuts
Also, it doesn't turn in well and it certainly doesn't exit well. Nuts again!

As for temperature, l don't think this game pays that any attention.

Ah, I see. I always ran it stock, so that’s maybe why I enjoyed it.

Same thing happened to me with carbon brakes, but I can't remember which car it was (maybe R32 or Toyota 86???). Switched them back again and it was driveable again... yep, weird!!
Oh man... this is going to be a big issue when a lot more people discover this one. Scripted grip levels based on part selection, how odd. It's much more noticeable than I thought it would be

Last edited:
I have them in the R32 and they're fine so it must be the 86.

When the carbon brakes are on the GT40, they come on too strong and slow it down too much, even when feathering the brakes. It's nuts
Also, it doesn't turn in well and it certainly doesn't exit well. Nuts again!

As for temperature, l don't think this game pays that any attention.
Just checked and it is the R32 for me but it's that same symptoms you describe with the Gt40. They bight far too hard so even in a straight line the rear is trying to overtake the front. I think we're really going to have to balance our performance packages for each individual car... which is good imho.

Oh man... this is going to be a big issue when a lot more people discover this one. Scripted grip levels based on part selection, how odd. It's worse than I thought it would be initially
It's not unlike the real world though. You do need to have a balanced package and I think I may've just tipped this car over the edge. It was more balanced with a bit less brake for the Sport Soft tyre I was running. Maybe I could've balanced it better with brake bias but I didn't think of it at the time. I've really been noticing how much you can overpower the tyre compound with too bigger brake package though.

Last edited:
Just checked and it is the R32 for me but it's that same symptoms you describe with the Gt40. They bight far too hard so even in a straight line the rear is trying to overtake the front. I think we're really going to have to balance our performance packages for each individual car... which is good imho.

It's not unlike the real world though. You do need to have a balanced package and I think I may've just tipped this car over the edge. It was more balanced with a bit less brake for the Sport Soft tyre I was running. Maybe I could've balanced it better with brake bias but I didn't think of it at the time. I've really been noticing how much you can overpower the tyre compound with too bigger brake package though.
Yeah in GT Sport the brake bias did wonders on every car, was kind of like a grip selector, just a bit exaggerated but entirely changed the driving dynamics of every car. It's rather cool that's carried over to the, presumably updated or less restricted physics engine in GT7. I look forward to tweaking my cars with the least amount of purchases then fine tuning it

I bought the GT40 today and it drives like a tank, seriously.
I went for extreme tuning for oversteer but it's hardly made any difference. Am l missing something, or is this car undriveable?
It feels so bad with it's performance!

So now l have the GT MK IV which is undriveable due to it spinning out and now l have the GT40 which is undriveable due to it feeling like a tank. What the hell gives...?

This game is doing my head in!
it's an American car, what do you expect 😂😂✌️✌️

The Ford GT-40 MK IV, which is one of the cars OP is referencing, is 100% American. (It was not based on the MK I built but brand new from the ground up.)

It was engineered, developed, built, and tuned in the United States.

The GT-40 MK II, which was based on the MK I, was modified and built exclusively in the United States by Ford and Shelby.

The GT-40 MK I, based on the lola but not the exact same, was developed by Ford UK.

The funny thing is that the most fragile part of the GT-40 MK I and MK II was the Italian sourced transmission that was built in a factory a few blocks down the street from Ferrari, it also caused a lot of the DNF finishes for the car at the start of the program. At the time, Ford did not have a transmission up for the job to handle such high-speed endurance racing; it was eventually replaced in the MK II and not used in the MK IV.

it's an American car, what do you expect 😂😂✌️✌️
That British or American car (depending on the model) absolutely destroyed any Italian or German competitor on the track.

Last edited:
@wheelhp why the laughing feedback? Just looked it up and Wikipedia says this

The effort began in the early 1960s when Ford Advanced Vehicles began to build the GT40 Mk I, based upon the Lola Mk6, at their base in Slough, UK. After disappointing race results, the engineering team was moved in 1964 to Dearborn, Michigan (Kar Kraft). The range was powered by a series of American-built Ford V8 engines modified for racing.

In 1966, the GT40 Mk II broke Ferrari's streak at Le Mans, notching the first win for an American manufacturer in a major European race since Jimmy Murphy's triumph with Duesenberg at the 1921 French Grand Prix.[5][6]

@wheelhp why the laughing feedback? Just looked it up and Wikipedia says this

The effort began in the early 1960s when Ford Advanced Vehicles began to build the GT40 Mk I, based upon the Lola Mk6, at their base in Slough, UK. After disappointing race results, the engineering team was moved in 1964 to Dearborn, Michigan (Kar Kraft). The range was powered by a series of American-built Ford V8 engines modified for racing.

In 1966, the GT40 Mk II broke Ferrari's streak at Le Mans, notching the first win for an American manufacturer in a major European race since Jimmy Murphy's triumph with Duesenberg at the 1921 French Grand Prix.[5][6]
Not laughing at you, you're absolutely right on the money. I just think it's hilarious what you said

The Ford GT-40 MK IV, which is one of the cars OP is referencing, is 100% American. (It was not based on the MK I built but brand new from the ground up.)

It was engineered, developed, built, and tuned in the United States.

The GT-40 MK II, which was based on the MK I, was modified and built exclusively in the United States by Ford and Shelby.

The GT-40 MK I, based on the lola but not the exact same, was developed by Ford UK.

The funny thing is that the most fragile part of the GT-40 MK I and MK II was the Italian sourced transmission that was built in a factory a few blocks down the street from Ferrari, it also caused a lot of the DNF finishes for the car at the start of the program. At the time, Ford did not have a transmission up for the job to handle such high-speed endurance racing; it was eventually replaced in the MK II and not used in the MK IV.

That British or American car (depending on the model) absolutely destroyed any Italian or German competitor on the track.
That was before the germans participated in that class btw.

That specific model you talking was indeed a great car, that season it won the big 3 but if we zoom out the Ferrari P330 is the more successful car overall, the version after the P3 was dominating again, even the GT40 could stand any chance. I'll give you that one season Ford reigned over the Europeans 😉

Back