GT40...seriously?

I bought the GT40 today and it drives like a tank, seriously.
I went for extreme tuning for oversteer but it's hardly made any difference. Am l missing something, or is this car undriveable?
It feels so bad with it's performance!

So now l have the GT MK IV which is undriveable due to it spinning out and now l have the GT40 which is undriveable due to it feeling like a tank. What the hell gives...?

This game is doing my head in!
Have you tried putting ballast in and then moving it (front to back)?

That was the Lola AFAIK, the Ford MK IV is American. It's also Ford. It's in the American dealership of GT7 too isn't it?

So is the Focus RS, but if there's any car that says "Modern Britain" to me, it's that one.

It would be weird to have a Ford dealer under two different countries though, I suppose.

Mine drives great. Of course the tail will kick out (just like every other RR/MR/FR car in this game) if you aren't careful with the throttle. I'd suggest rolling it back to stock, adding sports softs, and then slowly changing one variable at a time from there. Even then, this isn't a 700PP car. It's always been a killer in the 350 to 625-ish range though. It tunes down to lower levels than it should better than it tunes up to compete with modern super cars.

Revert it to stock and see how it drives. Work from there.
Is there a way to easily revert settings back to stock? I think when you switch between different parts (like transmissions), it re-applies the stock settings for that part. But many cars, especially high-PP race cars only have 1 part available sometimes so then you can’t switch back to stock.

I’ve been messing with rear and front downforce on some cars but I don’t know how I can re-apply the stock values.

Exact same issue in the De Tomaso Mangusta!

I don't think the brakes are bugged, it's something to do with the added braking performance + car setup.

At stock settings the racing brakes work fine but I found that certain changes made my braking distance go up massively, I couldn't understand why it was so bad at first. I'm not at home at the moment so can't check what settings are responsible, but try changing ride height, ballast (try positioning at front and back), and adjusting softness of suspension.

Is there a way to easily revert settings back to stock? I think when you switch between different parts (like transmissions), it re-applies the stock settings for that part. But many cars, especially high-PP race cars only have 1 part available sometimes so then you can’t switch back to stock.

I’ve been messing with rear and front downforce on some cars but I don’t know how I can re-apply the stock values.
Just de-select items you've upgraded. Most of them, like mufflers for instance, are a drop-down list if you click on them.

Adding ballast to the front to get it to 45:55 (or better, but watch the overall weight) makes a HUGE difference in this car.

Last edited:
Just de-select items you've upgraded. Most of them, like mufflers for instance, are a drop-down list if you click on them.

Adding ballast to the front to get it to 45:55 (or better, but watch the overall weight) makes a HUGE difference in this car.
Yes I know about deselecting items, but I have been fiddling with cars without upgrades. If you take a brand new car you never touched before and start fiddling with the chassis settings, I don’t think there is a way to reset those values back to stock?

IMO there should be an option for the settings sheets to revert to default, but it’s not there. :(

That was before the germans participated in that class btw.

That specific model you talking was indeed a great car, that season it won the big 3 but if we zoom out the Ferrari P330 is the more successful car overall, the version after the P3 was dominating again, even the GT40 could stand any chance. I'll give you that one season Ford reigned over the Europeans 😉
Except in 1969, where a Porsche 917 participated in S 5.0 class and lost to a GT40 MK I.

Yes I know about deselecting items, but I have been fiddling with cars without upgrades. If you take a brand new car you never touched before and start fiddling with the chassis settings, I don’t think there is a way to reset those values back to stock?

IMO there should be an option for the settings sheets to revert to default, but it’s not there. :(
Oh, right. My bad. There isn't an option to reset the car to factory is there...

If you add another "settings page" does it just copy the setting you currently have? Seem to remember it resetting it to default in previous games but I've not used it in GT7 yet.

Oh, right. My bad. There isn't an option to reset the car to factory is there...

If you add another "settings page" does it just copy the setting you currently have? Seem to remember it resetting it to default in previous games but I've not used it in GT7 yet.
Yeah if you add a new page it gives default settings and switches back to original parts where possible.

Except in 1969, where a Porsche 917 participated in S 5.0 class and lost to a GT40 MK I.
you're right! I always forget about the first version of the 917 since back then they had to rush the car and it still had a lot of flaws so it was basically "only" the homologation car. But yeah, the GT40 kicked our asses in 69 😉😂 god, what an epic era for motorsport.

Last edited:
you're right! I always forget about the first version of the 917 since back then they had to rush the car and it still had a lot of flaws so it was basically "only" the homologation car. But yeah, the GT40 kicked our asses in 69 😉😂
That's how it rolls in Le Mans; it's too bad the GT40 MK IV was essentially banned. I would have loved to have seen a MK IV or maybe even a potential MK V go up against the 917.

The Ford GT-40 MK IV, which is one of the cars OP is referencing, is 100% American. (It was not based on the MK I built but brand new from the ground up.)

It was engineered, developed, built, and tuned in the United States.

The GT-40 MK II, which was based on the MK I, was modified and built exclusively in the United States by Ford and Shelby.

The GT-40 MK I, based on the lola but not the exact same, was developed by Ford UK.

The funny thing is that the most fragile part of the GT-40 MK I and MK II was the Italian sourced transmission that was built in a factory a few blocks down the street from Ferrari, it also caused a lot of the DNF finishes for the car at the start of the program. At the time, Ford did not have a transmission up for the job to handle such high-speed endurance racing; it was eventually replaced in the MK II and not used in the MK IV.

That British or American car (depending on the model) absolutely destroyed any Italian or German competitor on the track.
And then the German's and Italian's came back and Ford slinked back into the shadows with no overall win for America at Le Mans since.

Yeah if you add a new page it gives default settings and switches back to original parts where possible.
I just checked and if you click the drop down on the suspension and LSD, select the stock version, then go back to the customizable it will revert them to original.

I've been doing 1:33's (not very fast, but I'm not very fast no matter the car, lol) on Brands Hatch with Sports Softs using this:

641PP 444HP 403ft lb torque 2661lb 45:55 weight ratio

Suspension:
75 - 85
5 - 1
30 - 24
36 - 30
2.68 - 2.68
0.4 - 0.6
\/ 0.02 - /\ 0.04

LSD:

Downforce:
130 - 275

Ballast:
127kg
(for a 45:55 weight ratio... Adding more weight to bring it closer to 50:50 may help a lot)

Transmission I just set to 290 and then roughly evened out the gears and adjusted the final ratio to 2.850

Brake Balance +1 (one click right... this will heavily depend on your driving style so play with the balance)

I put pretty much all of the power upgrades on Racing Muffler/airfilter/manifold/high-end supercharger
Racing brake pads, racing brakes upgrade.

Gt Auto

Front Spoiler + rear wing
Added 17in tires, wide/wide offset.

It's very much a work in progress. I'm not @praiano63 or one of the top tuners and I've only been working on it for about 25min, so don't expect it to be a world-beater if you use it, lol.

It still requires a light touch with the throttle like all rwd cars in this game, but it's driving much better for me at least.
Oh, and no TC, ABS default, no other assists. Haven't tried it with racing hards yet; that might make it much more drivable.
I'm sure I'll keep playing around with the settings as this is one of my favorite cars and if I get it to be drastically better I'll update (will be the suspension... that's where I'm toying around the most)

@MrMattAdz I accidentally replied to the wrong person. For some reason I thought you were the OP so that's why I @'d you

Last edited:
I just checked and if you click the drop down on the suspension and LSD, select the stock version, then go back to the customizable it will revert them to original.

I've been doing 1:33's (not very fast, but I'm not very fast no matter the car, lol) on Brands Hatch with Sports Softs using this:
What car is this for, the Mk I or the Mk IV ?

Aah that’s a good point. I’ll give that a try!

It would be weird to have a Ford dealer under two different countries though, I suppose.
GT4 (or GT PSP?) had Ford USA, Ford EU and Ford AU.

It's because BMW owns the rights to the Mini brand, present and past...
That still doesn't make the new Mini ( or any Mini tbh) a German car imho.

Well the original Mini Cooper is under a German flag in the game too so I wouldn't put too much on that 🤣

100% - the new mini is designed and built in the UK, just owned by a German brand.

Funny that they put Jaguar in the UK come to think of it, as it's owned by Tata in India 🤷🏼‍♂️

The car world is so weird and incestuous that you could pick holes like this all day long. I don't mind the mini being placed under German branding, even as an Englishman. Ultimately I just appreciate the car being in the game 😎👌

And then the German's and Italian's came back and Ford slinked back into the shadows with no overall win for America at Le Mans since.
Ok no overall win but lemons isn't just 1 category. In fact it got to a point where the other categories were more interesting and LMP1 became a farce then died. The Ford GT LM GTE from 2016 did alright and beat the Germans and Italians several times.

Last edited:
Back