GT40...seriously?

Don't carbon brakes need to be up to temperature to work well? I have no idea if the game simulates that but it's something to think about.
Does this go for time trial as well? I recently fully slammed a 300zx and the carbon brakes don't work. It's like stopping a freight train.

And then the German's and Italian's came back and Ford slinked back into the shadows with no overall win for America at Le Mans since.
Le Mans banned larger engine sizes and essentially kicked Ford out from competing after 1967. The same 427 SOHC was even banned from Nascar. Having LeMans essentially ban you from competing shows that you've made your point that you are capable of being competitive.

Modern BoP system has basically destroyed any real competition. LMP1 is not very interesting as you can't really make a road car from it.

Last edited:
That was before the germans participated in that class btw.
I don't understand this bias. I bet you would say that if Le Mans big crash did not happen in 1955, Mercedes would be the most succesful F1 team ever 🥱 One cannot know for certain.

Also reminds me of high school kids saying "I would get a better grade in the test, if I studied more". Well why didn't you study more then? 😁🙃

Yes, Porsche and Audi have been succesful looking at Le Mans history. So have Ferrari, Jaguar and Ford. In the old days it was Bentley or Alfa Romeo. Different eras, different winners. Sad that Toyota got unlucky against Porsche that one year, so close to winning... And dieselgate sadly affected Porsche and Audi (dieselgate main reason behind their exit?), which are owned by VW.

I hope hypercars make the Le Mans top class great again, so that Toyota gets to prove many wrong that it is not only lack of competition which has made them dominant. I guess I will support both Toyota and Ferrari 🇯🇵🤝🇮🇹

Last edited:
Just bought it to test: After the first corner i saw it has wood tires on it (Comfort Soft), why does anybody wonder why it has bad handling?
Although i think it doesn't even drive that bad for those tyres.
[E]
So my first Nurb time with the stock GT40 fresh out of the dealership with comfort soft i got a 8:05. I don't think it's difficult to drive, it's pretty spot on for a 60 yo car with wood tires.
Trying the 917K now

Last edited:
Just bought it to test: After the first corner i saw it has wood tires on it (Comfort Soft), why does anybody wonder why it has bad handling?
Although i think it doesn't even drive that bad for those tyres.
[E]
So my first Nurb time with the stock GT40 fresh out of the dealership with comfort soft i got a 8:05. I don't think it's difficult to drive, it's pretty spot on for a 60 yo car with wood tires.
Trying the 917K now
That must be the Nord' without Nurb', surely.

You have to set more rear bias with carbon brakes i've found.

The initial Ford GT40 is a Ford UK product afaik :scared:
The original Ford GT40 was terrible according to those who drove them - the brakes, handling, and engine (reliability and power issues) - the GT40 didn't come into it's element until they re-engineered it here in the states. 289 v8 then the 427. Believe it or not the american v8's were more reliable than the first iteration. Shelby and others moved mountains to turn it into the legend it is.

Le Mans banned larger engine sizes and essentially kicked Ford out from competing after 1967. The same 427 SOHC was even banned from Nascar. Having LeMans essentially ban you from competing shows that you've made your point that you are capable of being competitive.

Modern BoP system has basically destroyed any real competition. LMP1 is not very interesting as you can't really make a road car from it.
Ford weren't the first manufacturer, nor the last to have their designs banned. Many have had this done to them, and they overcame it.

As I said in other thread, in this game many cars have awful default tuning settings and you need to change many things.
Those cars with bad default tunings, once you fix them, they can feel totally different in most cases.

Pro tip: don't mod anything on race cars, you will only make it worse.
Sorry, what?

Last edited:
Try this out and let me know, but I was driving the 2000GTR earlier with racing brakes and noticed that its braking distance was muuuuch longer than other cars. At the time I was using the stock wheels, I tried switching to custom wheels and noticed immediately that braking performance was improved and was now similar to other cars on racing brakes.

Is there any chance that braking performance is affected by rim size? If you cycle through rim sizes you can see that the brake disks and callipers increase and decrease in size at the same time. Different sizes of tyre wall should result in a difference in handling behaviour as well if that's being calculated by the game.

Could this be an issue for older cars that at stock have larger tyre walls/smaller rims compared to modern cars?

Ford weren't the first manufacturer, nor the last to have their designs banned. Many have had this done to them, and they overcame it.
What would have been the point for Ford?

The entire point of the exercise was to show that they could compete and win against the best on the race track; even though they were a family car company. Ferrari protested the 1968 rules changes too and refused to compete.

Last edited:
About the Ford GT40:

The British built Mk I did not have any Le Mans sucsess, not until Carrol Shelby handed over the GT40-project to Holman-Moody in LA CA USA. Holman-Moody, who worked with Ford`s nascar & Can-AM rascecars totally rebuilt & reinforced the chassie to handle a detuned version of Fords nascar-engine, the famous FE427R sideoiler.

This +650hp raceengine was detuned to about 550hp and fit into the GT40. Wherever you look upon the web you`ll find "485hp" as the max power, but that`s a misunderstanding. Ford decided to be wery careful and instructed their drivers to low-shift at 6200rpm to keep the engines alive through the long 24 hours race. (The engine was down on 485hp at 6200rpm) But this defensive tactic led to Ferrari taking the lead so Fords driver Ken Miles decided to skip the tactic and let the 7-litre rev up to it`s nascar shiftpoints at 7400rpm. From there, the rest is history.

Last edited:
Back