GT5 License's

  • Thread starter Thread starter ST-2
  • 59 comments
  • 7,873 views
Although they're a staple to the GT series, I find license tests pretty pointless personally nowadays. I realize their original purpose was to teach the player proper racing techniques, but after playing for 10 years, I think I know how to control the throttle in a turn, how to hit the apex, and how to avoid little orange cones. :(

It couldn't hurt to refresh up on the new license's.......
 
I want my Skyline GT-R at Trial Montain from Monkey-turn to Shade Straight.

I want 20 licences per class. No, I want 30 of them. And I want at least 7 classes - A, B, International A, International B, International Racing, S-Class and Rally. And maybe even special class with only Track Skill - let's call it International-T.

And I want to gold be hard-as-hell, as it was in the first Gran Turismo. I want that geting all gold gives you something and that golding the licences becomes counted towards overall game completition.

I want 100 Missions.

Thank you PD, you're great guys there.

+1 👍
 
The coffee break was optional and didn't affect the result of the test.

I loved the licence test, but i do have a small irritation with it. I like to get all the tests done with at the beginning, and this means experiencing some of the faster cars in the licence test. It takes away some of the excitement when you actually able to buy it, because you know what to expect.
Like i said, it's a small irritation:)
 
What version did you play, because I did none of the Coffee Break tests and it let me though each class without trouble.
The PAL version, but I only ever tried skipping them once, and that was when I first played it. I tried to take on the final licence test, and I recall a message telling me I had to do all of the tests before taking it. As I had already done everything but the Coffee Break, I went back and did it - swearing under my breath for most of it - and got into the final licence test just fine. After that, I always just bit the bullet and did them. I never got anything more than bronze, and took three times longer than the silver time to complete them.

And African Kat, I think it's intended that you get the B-Licence, do all the related races before going back for the A-Licence, doing the races and so on. Because if you know which races to do right away in GT4, you can get over two hundred and fifty thousand dollars having completed just two full licences and two races.
 
The GT Licenses have always been a love hate thing for me.

I like the idea of having some kind of license system which can teach you how to improve your car control both on and off the track. And helps you to understand what to do and why your doing it. I think the licenses fall down on the why part.

In all fairness it's must be very hard to get the balance right and I'm not sure I even know how to improve it, but it wasn't great in previous games. Fingers crossed GT5 can improve on this.
 
Licenses are key to the game, I just hope they keep them consolidated. I could only see needing 5 licenses tops - B, A, S, R and Special - with however many tests that you need for each - 15, 25 whatever.

B and A for the basics, S for sports cars and track driving, R for race cars and full laps, special for rally and drifting. Poor weather driving should be a part of every license.

Also, there should be tests in each license to learn about damage (hopefully) and proper competition - like a tight group of cars where if you cause damage you fail.

Driving missions: get rid of them and put them into two categories - either license tests or bonus/unlockable "special segments". My idea for a special segment: Have the player partake in "Top Gear" and "Best Motoring" TV segments. Like you play as the Stig racing againt the other top gear guys or something, you know all the dumb stuff they do - well you do it. Or you drive as yourself in a togue battle against Kei-san and Orido. So either have license tests or something interesting... but DO NOT make a man sit there for 120 seconds twittling his thumbs!
 
Driving missions belong in Arcade mode not Gran Turismo mode.

Personally I have had enough licence testing throughout GT, GT2, GT3 and GT4 to last a life time. It wouldn't bother me if I never did another one ever again, but if they are part of a locked save to the PS3 and are a requirement of online racing it might sort out the punter issue.

Having said that you would then get people complaining about not being able to race online so maybe restricting the unlicenced to a online Beginner Race Hall might work.
 
License tests would undoubtedly make a better driver...but it remains give or take...
An 07 ARTA NSX time attack on Suzuka Circuit should make up one of the events.
 
If they have multiple F1 cars in the game, they may as well have a license for races with them, including the Formula GT race.
 
I like license tests.

One small not important at all but still perhaps pretty nice thing, would be if every car you use in the tests had the same paint scheme. For example they could be white and have a sticker or two that says "GT Test Vehicle" or something. Never mind, lol...
 
I wouldn't mind doing the test again, to see if I can get better with my wheel, but then again PD may do what they did for GT4, how you got B and A licences instantly if you owned GT4P.
 
Although they're a staple to the GT series, I find license tests pretty pointless personally nowadays. I realize their original purpose was to teach the player proper racing techniques, but after playing for 10 years, I think I know how to control the throttle in a turn, how to hit the apex, and how to avoid little orange cones. :(
I agree whole heartedly...boy do I agree:ouch:
 
I like license tests.

One small not important at all but still perhaps pretty nice thing, would be if every car you use in the tests had the same paint scheme. For example they could be white and have a sticker or two that says "GT Test Vehicle" or something. Never mind, lol...
Same. With the sheer number of cars in the game, it's always easy to pick a lemon. I did it just a few weeks ago when I started again and ran with a 1990s Nissan Sivia, but even with a few upgrades and an oil change, it was an absolute dog. I find the licence tests, even if they are repetitive, give me a chance to try out a few cars I wouldn't normally consider.

Plus, I never played GT3. Going from GT2 to GT4 was a huge step up, so it was good to re-learn everything (that, and I hadn't played GT2 for a long while).
 
No way you could have GT without the test,or the driving missions. That is the real fun of GT going through all the levels of license test. And quite honestly I really look forward to a whole set of virgin test when GT5 comes out. :dopey:
I will probably sit there for a good 20 hours or so at first just doing them 1 after another.

That is got me hooked on GT in the first place-the License tests. I didn't do any racing until I had all Licenses "B1 to S".
 
I made it my goal to not do any races until I got gold on the license tests.

What can I say? I love gold!
 
I heard a rumor that Top Gears test track will be included. not sure how true
 
It will be nice if we get voice training in GT5 just like in GT4:Prologue, that was so cool and helpful
 
I like them, even after getting them all I still went back to them every once in awhile. Although there is one thing I would get rid of are the pace car tests as they were the most annoying thing ever.
 
Although they're a staple to the GT series, I find license tests pretty pointless personally nowadays. I realize their original purpose was to teach the player proper racing techniques, but after playing for 10 years, I think I know how to control the throttle in a turn, how to hit the apex, and how to avoid little orange cones. :(

What about the Gran Turismo first timers who will buy their first GT when GT5 comes out because GT5 already got game of the year. Those who had a GT before aren't the only people who will buy GT5 in the future.
 
What about the Gran Turismo first timers who will buy their first GT when GT5 comes out because GT5 already got game of the year. Those who had a GT before aren't the only people who will buy GT5 in the future.
Very true, in fact they are PD's prime demographic, there are way more people who haven't played it than have.
 
I am of the opinion that licence tests are essential to the gran turismo series. Its licences which pushed me to become a better driver, I wouldn't be a GTP D1 driver if it wasn't for me trying to improve on licence tests.

Let me explain, I got the original GT game when I was fairly young (8 years old), unsurprisingly that meant I went with the mentality of racing with the most powerful car in every race possible. This worked and I continued race with the same philosophy for the subsequent gran turismo titles. It wasn't until completing GT4(more or less), I got a steering wheel and decided I would put the gear changing paddles to good use.

So I started learning to race with manual transmission, I used my overkill tactic and beat the field, even with my dodgy shifting. I thought a better way to learn would be to redo the licence tests but this time with a manual gearbox. I worked through and eventually got the hang of things. At one point I thought: Why can't I get these golds? they are impossibly fast!' I set myself the target of getting all silver times and soon I realised I had to adjust and learn racing lines, watch how the demo car did the lap and try to repeat it. I soon achieved all silvers and quickly set about getting all the gold licences to, which was no easy accomplishment.

It was the licence test which changed my mindset. The overkill, the car will do all the work mindset, carried through all the series due to my immaturity playing the first gran tursimo.

After the licence tests, rather than overkill, I set about winning races with the worst car possible, it was all about good driving rather a than a good car.

If you wan't to learn to drive licence tests are the places to start, getting rid of them would be a grave error on behalf of PD, adding more would be great. As amar has stated, more emphasis (greater reward) should be put completing licence tests.
 
If GT5 has licence test (which is pretty certain), I really hope they reduce the number of tests per licence.

The first Gran Turismo had 8 tests per licence, and back then you only had B, A and I-A licences. In GT4 you had like what, 18 tests per licence, and something like 10 different licences!? :boggled: Okay, I know I'm exaggerating a bit, but still, quality over quantity, please! 💡
 
I want my Skyline GT-R at Trial Montain from Monkey-turn to Shade Straight.

I want 20 licences per class. No, I want 30 of them. And I want at least 7 classes - A, B, International A, International B, International Racing, S-Class and Rally. And maybe even special class with only Track Skill - let's call it International-T.

And I want to gold be hard-as-hell, as it was in the first Gran Turismo. I want that geting all gold gives you something and that golding the licences becomes counted towards overall game completition.

I want 100 Missions.

Thank you PD, you're great guys there.

Completley agree with you. Even in the hard-as-hell part. You can easily realize that the gold licenses at GT4 were not as hard as they could be. If they were, only a few select people would be able to gold them. Yet, there are hundreds of people who have done it, while still being on different levels.
I would like something else, that you guys probably won't agree: a license mode akin to Tourist Trophy. Not everything there was pure speed, but rather skill too, where you had to avoid obstacles, and the ones that tested your reflexes, which I think was pretty cool. It would add a lot more of experience to the game that way.
 
Only if the game contains a drift mode, or drift races, though. Although it could be an optional license to do, in case there are not any drift modes. Just for sake of experience.
 
Driving missions 👎

If we have to wait 90 seconds for each session again, they will have FAILED GT5 completely imo, its 2009 now people, quit being lazy!

Jerome

Agree completely.
 
Props for that. 120 second wait is probably the worst thing ever of GT4.
 
Props for that. 120 second wait is probably the worst thing ever of GT4.
Got that right! That's one reason why I never bothered to complete all those driving missions. I must admit though, that those driving missions were one of the best things about GT4. 👍

Only if the game contains a drift mode, or drift races, though. Although it could be an optional license to do, in case there are not any drift modes.
Well, GT3 had a separate licence for the rally mode, so why not? Actually, if they plan to have rallying in GT5, I sincerely hope they have a separate licence for them.
 
YAY! I just finished my last Licence on GOLD! YAY! 60 of 60, none, even one wasn't as hard as in GT4, so if you are into a series you should do just fine.. AND I think licence is very important to complete, they teach you all trick and tips GT offer, if you complete them on silver or bronze thats way too easy you dont learn nothing new there... my opinion.

maybe this will help someone - dont try to complete all of them at once, just do as I did, new day, fresh strength, turn on GT5 and do 3 of them today as a training before serious racing, done gold, next, move on do something esle so they dont become fustrating... continue next day..
 
Back