GT5-Prologue Impressions Thread

So,
My online update installed after abut 6th try.. On my euro account I turned off my 2PC, reset modem, reset router, plugged and unplugged Internet cable to/from console and it did not help, had an error in different points of download.
I switched to Japanese account and it download on a first try .. :)
Did about 5online races so far - no lags, only cars of other players (not every one) where little bit "jumping" but nothing particular (thats my first online racing so this might be lag ?...), I can only race edgier backwards - mostly 4recers race - unfortunately there is raming too but not as bad as I expected it to be.
Track looks much better than in GT:HD.
Since I do not experience big lags I will race on ma Japanese account at least till weekend, when I will test euro account for lags.

So my Japanese PSNID is villainpl :)

Oh and one more thing - already had one freeze of the system - I tried to do c1 race with integra and it stopped on "loading" screen...

See you online, I'm currently spaming erg race :)

It is definitely first in first out cos when I try to enter the race as fast as possible after finishing previous one I manage to start as first (once) second (twice) fourth once and last once

You can only race Eiger backwards simply because you currently have selected a car that belongs to the Integra Type R class. If you take, say, an Impreza or Evo, you can race on the Oval and the London track, and with the GT-R you can for instance enter the tough (pro-mode, no assists) but fun (because its 3 laps) Fuji race.

Oh and one more thing - already had one freeze of the system - I tried to do c1 race with integra and it stopped on "loading" screen...

see, that worries me. i've had 3 or 4 freezes. then the console froze twice on me when i was entering other game demos that always played fine. since i live in brazil, there's no such thing as "sony custumer service".

should i be worried or is it normal that my PS3 is freezing sometimes?

After 12 agonizing days of waiting, my coyp of GT5P came in on monday, and until about 30mins ago, that's mostly what I've been doing since. Like others, I had issues downloading the update, but now it's done and everything goin smooth. Something really needs to be done about penalties, because there are times that I'll barely brush into an AI car and get penalized, or a car will hit me in the back and I'll get penalized. And when you're challenged to go from 16th to first in a race, it's extremely difficult to not get BS penalties. Also, the fact that they have other racers on the track in time trials DRIVES ME INSANE. I'll be running an awesome lap, tryin to get gold, only to have a slow freakin Diahtsu dart right into my racing line. Time trials should be done alone.

Other than that, I'm lovin the game. The DFP works great with it, I LOVE the graphics and cockpit view, and I'm so glad that GT finally got the Daytona road course. Definitely worth the wait.

The only freezes I've had were during online, and I think that was usually just some kind of network timeout, and if I waited long enough, the game would continue or give a message.

Nope GT has never had rewind option on replays (as far as I remember), and sadly GT5P has hardly any replay options.

Nope GT has never had rewind option on replays (as far as I remember), and sadly GT5P has hardly any replay options.

It's just perplexing for me why they can't do this. I usually go about 3-7 Nordschleifes and for example I like the part from 24m 30s to 28 min 7 sec, want to cut that and save for others to show them my ride. But I can't do that and nobody wants to see first 25 mins of plain and uninteresting ride. Hope this will be present in GT5, because we all love GT replays and want to do more with them and brilliant photomode option.

well i finally got my copy. some wading through the menus and I'm off.

first impression i got of the game was underwhelming frankly. It seems too sedate, too sterile. After a while driving however, it gets very interesting. The cars actually behave like cars this time around for the most part, meaning you can chuck little ff cars around with lift off oversteer and come out of it unscathed, and there is finally what is aproaching proper wheelspin oversteer from the rear drivers. force feedback is a little weak, and you dont really feel the weight transfer and tire slip as much as in other sims, but it's downright amazing for a GT game.

penalties are dumb. They should fix the physics so that you dread contact with other cars instead. Like Forza or Toca. And make the AI feel the burn too.

graphics are great, but i seem to get a lof of jaggies on my screen. I dunno if its a 720p thing or not. some tearing but not very noticeable. also, while i'm grateful there IS a cockpit cam, it isn't a convincing or visceral experience like in GTR or PGR. it's kinda just there. no effects off the windscreen, no shaking about. just pretty stitched leather.

Sound is middling. still much better than GT4. cars sound like recordings of the actual cars instead of synthesized blenders. Needs more engineering to make it pop though.

music is ****E.

garage and other presentation aspects are class. no comparisons warranted, it rules the roost in this aspect. go play forza and wince.

car selection still shows Kaz is somewhat xenophobic. But at least there's a mustang and zo6 thrown in there, which sound like they should.

havent played online. don't really care until the game comes out. seems like a nightmare to get organized on there, and prologue doesnt seem to recognize my network connection half the time.

OVERALL. good. not worth the money except if you have no patience. still a very promising indicator for GT5.

feedback is a little weak,

Did you fiddle with the wheel settings turn the force feedback up a bit in options?

car selection still shows Kaz is somewhat xenophobic.

Just under half the cars are not Japanese, for a game sold exclusive to the Japanese market..... frankly I wish they did throw a few more Japanese models in the game.

kinigitt, excellent riteup on the game.....sounds honest.I too hope PD fix all those weak points you mentioned by GT5, as it sounds promising on the physics side of things and everyone has raved about the grafixs.Fingers crossed!

Did you fiddle with the wheel settings turn the force feedback up a bit in options?

Just under half the cars are not Japanese, for a game sold exclusive to the Japanese market..... frankly I wish they did throw a few more Japanese models in the game.

yeah i looked up the menu translations, turned it up. still kinda weak.

Ok, almost 50% of the cars are japanese. Does Japan make 50% of the world's noteworthy automobiles? And if they were intent on more japanese content, at least make it the notables. nix the daihatsus. throw in an MX-5, an S2000, an RX-7 or two. Something fun to drive, show off the new physics. Anyway the car selection is good. I'm just prattling.

yeah i looked up the menu translations, turned it up. still kinda weak.

Did you turn off power assist? That seemed to make the FF weak for me by assisting as I fought the FF.

force feedback is a little weak, and you dont really feel the weight transfer and tire slip as much as in other sims, but it's downright amazing for a GT game.
Which's your wheel? I play with the G25, FF set to 10, power assist off, active steering off and the feedback is really good specially for the cars featured on the game, at least 2x-3x stronger than GT4 on my setup with similar cars. Obviously on GT5 with race and tuned cars the FF will be more strong yet, as GT4.

yeah more Japanese cars would be fun, maybe a supra,s2000,rx-7,silvia

Same here im a big JDM fan that big that i only drive Japanese cars. They realy need to put the new civic type R (JDM), mazdaspeed 3 and lots of old JDM stuf.

mine arrived this morning, its a good game, alot more realistic than in the previous GT's. ive noticed that the game judders when there's more than 3 or 4 cars around you which i'm not a fan of. i've also noticed that the car isn't very sensitive to small movements on the analouge stick on the Sixaxis controller. overall i'm very impressed.

Which's your wheel? I play with the G25, FF set to 10, power assist off, active steering off and the feedback is really good specially for the cars featured on the game, at least 2x-3x stronger than GT4 on my setup with similar cars. Obviously on GT5 with race and tuned cars the FF will be more strong yet, as GT4.

I play with a G25, i turned FF up to 10 active steering is off. I'm trying to figure out the menus again to find this "power assist" thing.

Does anyone else get kicked with that over-correction-automatic-steering when you go sideways? It's kind of frustrating.

thats power assist i think lol....its the third option down when in the wheel settings menu under options...

I play with a G25, i turned FF up to 10 active steering is off. I'm trying to figure out the menus again to find this "power assist" thing.
This was before the update:

6xkejbn.jpg

So if i'm getting it right the most realistic wheel setup includes:

active steering off
mode set at simulation
power steering off
??

Am I just a really bad driver or is the GTR horrible to drive... I know its rear wheel drive but seriously any gas on a corner it will try to spin out. You also have to break so early into corners (I thought it had amazing brakes!).

Robin

Am I just a really bad driver or is the GTR horrible to drive... I know its rear wheel drive but seriously any gas on a corner it will try to spin out. You also have to break so early into corners (I thought it had amazing brakes!).

Robin

definitely not as easy to drive as the r34 GTR

Robin

I am presuming you are talking about the GTR online races, which I think they have S2 tires on.

To the best of my knowledge, the GTR is not RWD and it is arguably one of the best handling car in the game.

Ultimately what makes a car go, stop and turn are all pin on how much traction the tires are providing. Having good brakes means literally nothing if you have spare tires on. I've been saying this for a long time now, a car is a system, it can only go as fast as the weakest link (driver included).

I am presuming you are talking about the GTR online races, which I think they have S2 tires on.

To the best of my knowledge, the GTR is not RWD and it is arguably one of the best handling car in the game.

Ultimately what makes a car go, stop and turn are all pin on how much traction the tires are providing. Having good brakes means literally nothing if you have spare tires on. I've been saying this for a long time now, a car is a system, it can only go as fast as the weakest link (driver included).

Yes in online races! I haven't tried it anywhere else yet, I think it might be 4 wheel drive but it sure doesn't feel like it most of the time.

Yes in online races! I haven't tried it anywhere else yet, I think it might be 4 wheel drive but it sure doesn't feel like it most of the time.

That is a designed charactieristic ever since they introduced the HICAS/Super HICAS system to aid the cars turn in (by helping it to rotate), the R35 GTR had a more advanced system called the VDC-R to take care of that. In addition to that, it must have something to do with how the car distribute its torque front and rear (which I am not sure the exact %). In R8's case the F/R torque never exceeds 30% at the front.

Not to mention the stock GTR uses some specially developed "runflat" which weights a ton and relatively suck.

There are also many contributing factors that affects the handling which no one knows if they are (and probably not) factored in by PD's "black box" physics, namely the active shock absobers on the 599/zo6/GTR (may be 430 & R8 too).

This is exactly why the so called "real physics" is really far from the real thing as todays passanger cars had so many E-aids in them which, IMO, is very hard to duplicate correctly (or included) in a game simulation. The funny thing is, it is probably 10X easier and more accurate to create a simulation for a 1600 formula ford, which is simple.

Robin

yea its cos your going into high speed corners like 30-40km/h faster and have 400+bhp at the back as opposed to 280/300 with a standard skyline lol

Robin

You're a bad driver ... :D

Seriously, though, you do realise that the online race with the GT-R has quite difficult settings, right? It's restricted to pro-mode, all assists off, basic tires ... you should try similarly fast / powered cars and see how well you can drive those, before you consider the GTR horrible to drive. ;) It's a lot easier to drive for instance than say, an F430 !

Back