GT5-Prologue Impressions Thread

It arrived and I've just fired it up, I wen't almost straight out from work I've just got back in. DFP check, PS3 armed and ready, now all I need is thoes translations.

Thanks.

I've done a few races and I'm very impressed. My first car was the VW Golf, I've won the Sunday cup races and the manufacturers race in that, and I've bought a Suzuki Cappuccino for the lightweight races and just won thoes. I really like that little car.

Firing Squad reviews GT5P

http://www.firingsquad.com/games/gran_turismo_5_prologue_review/

You can’t bring up Gran Turismo without hearing complaints about the lack of car damage and how “unrealistic” the physics are in comparison to something such as Konami’s Enthusia Professional Racing. Gran Turismo 5 attempts to fix all of these complaints, and with GT5: Prologue we have a chance to preview one of these issues. The developer of Gran Turismo, Polyphony Digital, has traditionally cited lack of car manufacturer support for car damage. With the success of Gran Turismo reaching stratospheric heights, it’s the manufacturers who are now approaching PD for inclusion into the game. At the recent Tokyo Motor Show, Gran Turismo was used to showcase the new Nissan GT-R, Lexus IS-F, Mitsubishi Evolution X, and Subaru WRX STI. Even Ferrari has joined the Gran Turismo bandwagon. With the car manufacturers seemingly on board, Polyphony Digital has changed their tune. While they are working on incorporating “car damage,” into the game, they insist that they will only release that feature when it is ready. Their caution leads me to speculate that we’ll be looking at updated tire wear, brake fade, and engine oil overheating rather than the traditional “the headlights are no longer working” or “your windshield is cracked” simulation. That is, if you were really going to talk about “realistic damage modeling” you’d have to talk about the 90% mortality rate that occurs when a 3300 lb motor vehicle T-bones your car at 30 mph (assuming you were in a car with no side-airbags).

Gran Turismo 3 has already been used by professional drivers for practice and simulation. With GT4, the physics engine was improved, and with GT5, a new “Professional” physics engine has been introduced as an option, promising even more realism. In our GT5 Prologue Demo Preview (Tokyo Motor Show Edition), I commented that the new Professional simulation mode offered a better overall feel of driving dynamics between different cars. While I still couldn’t do the donuts, use the clutch to drift, or generate the outrageous drift angles that are possible with Enthusia Professional Racing, the responsiveness of the cars on the track under “normal” racing conditions seemed very natural. Unfortunately, having never driven an Evo X, IS-F, BMW 135i, or WRX STI, it was impossible for me to comment on the physics realism.With Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, the impossible is now possible. GT5: Prologue allows you to drive cars that exist in the retail market, and I’m happy to say that the realism of the driving simulation is better than any previous Gran Turismo iteration. With a force feedback steering wheel, the cars handle realistically. Grip with “sport tires” mirror the performance of real-life. More importantly, the audio in GT5: Prologue has been upgraded tremendously allowing you to rely on the sound of screeching tires in conjunction with the force feedback to get a feel for the grip of the car on the road. Engine audio is also significantly improved from the previous iterations of GT4, though my audio system isn’t equipped with a big enough subwoofer to figure out if Polyphony Digital captured the full tonality of a real engine. One thing I do know is that while the game supports Dolby Digital, it is also possible to enjoy a native 7.1 PCM mix over HDMI.

It’s easy to hand wave about “realistic physics.” After all, every reviewer can claim to be a car expert on the Internet and every iteration is “near perfect.” As “near perfect” as GT4 was, when Edmunds.com and IGN compared Gran Turismo 4 to real-life lap times at Laguna Seca, they consistently found that the game offered faster lap times. They attributed this to the fact that “you can’t die in Gran Turismo, so you’re prone to take greater risks.” It’s also easy to say that Enthusia Professional Racing is the most realistic game because it’s one of the few games where you can do donuts or huge drifts. In my experience, the more time I spent with Enthusia, the faster I was with Gran Turismo, so they were doing something right even if it was just penalizing the gamer for being any imperfection.

Even though GT5 won’t let me do donuts, I still think the physics realism is the best of any simulator I’ve played so far. The disclaimer is that this is based purely upon the driving dynamics of Nissan and Infiniti vehicles. Those are simply the cars I’m most familiar with in real-life. Do the Evo X and WRX STI handle awesomely in GT5? You bet. Is that handling performance realistic? I don’t know – I haven’t driven those cars yet. It is worth noting that when we interviewed Bob Earl a few years ago (a championship driver with 24 career victories including 24 hours at Daytona and 12 hours of Sebring and the Macau Grand Prix), he found the time differences between Laguna Seca in GT3 and Laguna Seca in real-life to be less than one second. In fact, he was also able to identify the exact turn of Laguna Seca which deviated from real-life. Bob Earl was a fan of GT3 as a simulator… he drove for the Nissan Performance GTP team and was the lead development driver on the Nissan P35 V12 Group C car.

Edmunds.com saw huge differences between lap times in a Ford GT, Dodge Neon SRT-4, Mazda RX-8, and EVO 9RS. No Nissans. Bob Earl and I think Gran Turismo is realistic, and we’re Nissan drivers. Is there a common theme here? Actually, there’s one more piece of the puzzle. Nissan factory drivers have been the primary consultants to the Polyphony Digital Team for the Gran Turismo series. They’re the ones who are giving the software developers the most accurate feedback on how “realistic” a car feels in the game. The connection between PD and Nissan is so close that NISMO worked with Polyphony Digital to design a 350Z aero kit, and the electronic gauges in the new GT-R were designed by Polyphony Digital. Perhaps by providence, the cars I happen to drive in real-life are the cars that are more accurately portrayed in the game.

The driving dynamics of the Nissan’s in GT5 is superb, but are the lap times spot on? I haven’t driven any of the tracks featured in GT5: Prologue, so I can’t talk about lap times.

Like every Gran Turismo before it, Gran Turismo 5 raises the bar for visual realism. While the Xbox 360 has had games with better quality than the PS3 up until recently, there is no doubt in my mind that the cars in GT5:P are the most realistic cars of any game. Yes there’s aliasing, and no, the environments may not have all of the wonderful eye candy that other games may have, but the quality of the lighting and pearlescence of each car. Interiors are now fully modeled, although the GT-R seems to be the only car where the accessory gauges are also active. Unfortunately, the text resolutions of the interior seem disproportionately low. While the exterior shots can be mistaken for reality (especially when the image is downsized, removing any aliasing), the same cannot be said about the interior.

👍

Use Professional mode ;)
I am, no traction control, no stability control, no help selected in the steering wheel optionsl, professional handling selected there too and simulation physics selected pre race. High strenth FFB and manual transmission.

I am, no traction control, no stability control, no help selected in the steering wheel optionsl, professional handling selected there too and simulation physics selected pre race. High strenth FFB and manual transmission.

👍 Now, try to win gold on S-3

👍 Now, try to win gold on S-3
Got to get there first mate, I suspect it's a time trial like the Swift one in the C class races. I've just won the Swift trial and the Swift manufacturer race. All I need to do now in the C class is the 147 trial and the mission race, but they'll have to wait until tomorrow or Saturday.

Thanks.

I've done a few races and I'm very impressed. My first car was the VW Golf, I've won the Sunday cup races and the manufacturers race in that, and I've bought a Suzuki Cappuccino for the lightweight races and just won thoes. I really like that little car.

Fluck me!

I didn't think that ANYONE would fall for that one!

I bought an Integra, straight out of the gate! Absolutely no problems finishing the C or B sections with that car in the garage from the get-go!
The A and S sections are more difficult (obviously) but gaining enough credits to buy both Ferrari's is a good start!

Sitting with all GOLD from C-B-A sections and 50% GOLD done on S section.

All cars still in garage, and 50 mill+ credits!

I wish there was a "suck my Fl*ck*ng D;ck" award for the so-called 'smart-arse' brigade!
And they could accept that they have been stupid enough to be sucked into the 'hipe' of the new format/handling.

Life's too short for all this BS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neil

Doh!!
I just realized I'm going to have to start all over!
I've been playing this under my US account, if there is any possibility I'll be able to play online I'm going to need to get a lot of cars & cash in my Japanese account just in case you can only race the cars you own on line!:ouch:

If this is the prologue, I can't wait for the real thing. All I can say is remember how GT4 is a very polished GT3? Well, GT5P is a pretty polished up GT4. Nice.

Doh!!
I just realized I'm going to have to start all over!
I've been playing this under my US account, if there is any possibility I'll be able to play online I'm going to need to get a lot of cars & cash in my Japanese account just in case you can only race the cars you own on line!:ouch:

Just go to the Game Data Utility and copy the file over to your other account. I did that with the GT5P Demo. I had everything opened on my account, but my daughter didn't. So, I just copied it over to the other accounts on our PS3.

I've just got it and finished Class C and Class B and I love it. I simply can not believe though the graphical problems. The very obvious tearing any time you quickly pull to the side whilst close behind another car is severe and very obvious. However the drop in frame rate i've just seen in the first Class A race I did around London in the R8 is just plain unacceptable. It verges on making the game unplayable. They simply must improve this before GT5P is released to the rest of the world. It is just unacceptable. Still a great game though and great improvement in the physics.

Fluck me!

I didn't think that ANYONE would fall for that one!

I bought an Integra, straight out of the gate! Absolutely no problems finishing the C or B sections with that car in the garage from the get-go!
The A and S sections are more difficult (obviously) but gaining enough credits to buy both Ferrari's is a good start!

Sitting with all GOLD from C-B-A sections and 50% GOLD done on S section.

All cars still in garage, and 50 mill+ credits!

I wish there was a "suck my Fl*ck*ng D;ck" award for the so-called 'smart-arse' brigade!
And they could accept that they have been stupid enough to be sucked into the 'hipe' of the new format/handling.

Life's too short for all this BS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neil
What the hell are you talking about? :odd:.

I don't know! I am wondering that myself. :odd:

Was a little, no, scratch that, a lot pi$$ed and fairly hacked off with the world in general.

Sorry guys!

Bad mood, beer and brandy, and getting flamed by 'new members' for asking a simple question about wind noise all contributed to producing that reply.:guilty:

Neil

After playing GT5:P for a couple of hours my feeling so far is that they don't simulate physics at all, it's completely "fake". The driving dynamics feel a lot more realistic than before, but after doing some small tests it seems like they simulate how it feels to drive a car, not how the physics of a car works (like PC racing sims).

It almost looks like they simulate around on central axis, like the old Colin McRae games. You still can't lock the wheels and when you do a FWD burnout the only thing that happens when you turn the steering wheel is that the car leans to the side. But maybe they do it like this beacuse it is faster to do for so many cars, but I actually think it feels OK, and I can't wait to test it with my G25 when I get home from my Christmas vacation.

Well I have the game now, I actually got it last night after going to the Fed Ex Worldwide Services building.. (more on that tomorrow because that's pretty interesting) and I think its pretty awesome... just need to figure out how to win the races. ---- Randy

I was hoping that once I golded all the races in C,B,A and S class plus golded all the one make races, which is all you can do that I'd win a car or a congratulation screen (like in the licenses in GT4) but no....nothing at all, a bit of dissapointment. Oh well now that everything is done guess I'll just prepare for the online play on the 25th.

Of all races, which one gave you the most trouble to Gold? Mine was the Viper at Eiger, I kept getting within .200 - .500 until about my 30 th. try which I finally Golded. Probably (at least for me) the hardest one make race was the Elise at London, but that only took 5 attempts. Except for the C class all the races seemed a bit too easy, but I won't feel that way once we start racing each other online.

Just go to the Game Data Utility and copy the file over to your other account. I did that with the GT5P Demo. I had everything opened on my account, but my daughter didn't. So, I just copied it over to the other accounts on our PS3.

Thanks, I'll do that!

I just LOOOVE the game so far, every car are alot more different unlike gt4, ........and im stuck on the Swift trial:grumpy:

OK, I haven't played it yet but can someone explain to me why it installs sooo much data to the hard drive, does it even use the disc to play the game?? If so then why bother making a retail version, I was hoping that everything was held on the disc like a normal game then a save file of a few MB would be created???

I really don't understand, can someone explain?

Robin

Well i'm not 100% sure but the loading time is so much faster than gt4, so maybe by installing data on the hard drive it loads much faster. That's my guess.

I've just got it and finished Class C and Class B and I love it. I simply can not believe though the graphical problems. The very obvious tearing any time you quickly pull to the side whilst close behind another car is severe and very obvious. However the drop in frame rate i've just seen in the first Class A race I did around London in the R8 is just plain unacceptable. It verges on making the game unplayable. They simply must improve this before GT5P is released to the rest of the world. It is just unacceptable. Still a great game though and great improvement in the physics.

Well, just so you know, when Vsync is lost it's because of a drop in framerate in this game.

I haven't had a single slowdown of screen tear yet, I've put at least 2 and a half hours into it.

Back