GT5-Prologue Impressions Thread

i havent been experiencing any framerate drops myself either. only once which was actually in a replay where i spun out in daytona and there was a heap of dust from the grass and 4 other cars on screen.

OK, I haven't played it yet but can someone explain to me why it installs sooo much data to the hard drive, does it even use the disc to play the game?? If so then why bother making a retail version, I was hoping that everything was held on the disc like a normal game then a save file of a few MB would be created???

I really don't understand, can someone explain?

Robin

theres a retail version because in some countries people cannot afford 2gb of downloads. eg. a lot of people here in australia have internet packages that limit the downloads for a month to 600mb. also some people simply don't have 2 days to wait downloading due ot their connection speed. and finally, some people don't want to pay for something and have nothing tangible for it (eg. a disk)

edit: oh and yeh it installs all the game on the hdd for faster load times.

I haven't had a single slowdown of screen tear yet, I've put at least 2 and a half hours into it.

To which there's only two possible explinations.

-Your PS3 is faster than evryone else's.
-You haven't nocited them, but they are there.

I guarantee, that in the current state of the engine, if running with multiple cars screan tearing is there in evry track.
It's just doesn't stay there for very long.

I just finished GT5 P. and I must say the game is so far very good. First of all it is beautiful to look at and the details are amazing like moving grass and reflections. The AI has improved allot since its predecessors and the physics come much closer to the real deal as well. Only the BMW M3 fell short of power and agility. The game is not that hard to beat but I am looking forward to the online feature. At some parts of the game you can SEE that it is only a "demo" . For example the spectators at Daytona raceway are 2D. But this will probably be fixed. The cockpits are beautiful done and everything now runs smoothly. The only thing were I think the game really needs allot allot of improvement is the sound area. The sound fails with every car to really deliver this feeling that makes the hair in the back of your neck stand up.
But oh well.
Overall amazing and makes me wonder what other amazing things PD may deliver.
P.S. Comes closer to a sim than I expected!

I've had some slow downs in the game. I dont feel like they hinder my driving though. Its not the same as First Person Shooter online multiplayer lag where things get fustratingly choppy. In GT, there is always enough frames per second to still enjoy the game and not ruin a lap.

If anyones played F1:CE then you've probably been fustrated by online multiplayer lag and I'm hoping GT's online framerate is as solid as the offline framerate.

At some parts of the game you can SEE that it is only a "demo" . For example the spectators at Daytona raceway are 2D. But this will probably be fixed.

Well considering at Daytona the spectators are in grandstands I doubt they can make the tens of thousands of spectators 3D.

and everything now runs smoothly.

You don't notice odd the frame rate drop?

The only thing were I think the game really needs allot allot of improvement is the sound area. The sound fails with every car to really deliver this feeling that makes the hair in the back of your neck stand up.

I think they did a good job with most of the cars, though some are not the best. Gotta remember not all road cars in real life makes you hair stand up.

It is a good improvement to say the least IMO.

I think they did a good job with most of the cars, though some are not the best. Gotta remember not all road cars in real life makes you hair stand up.

It is a good improvement to say the least IMO.

Personally, from what I've seen on YouTube from The Moose, the V8s in the Mustang and the Z06 are nothing but outstanding compared to what they were in the past. Watching those cars in his videos, I felt genuinely excited about the engine sounds.

I've put maybe 20 hrs into the game and i only had one case of framerate drop which was on the London track while i was still in C Class, seems like that has track has the most problems when it comes to screen tearing and framerate, it also seems really dark and dull i guess due to the HDR lighting, but on the replays from afar the track looks really bright and amazing, i have a question though, what's up with that Mission Race with the Ferrari F430s and Audi R8s in S Class? i've finished in first place and got nothing? i'm assuming since the F430's are both yellow you have to have the CPU driver finish in second? i can't read the race info so i'm not sure what to do.

ps. instead of the A-Class Daytona race that makes you like 2,000,000 in 3 minutes try the Ferrari 599' Mission Race in S-Class, you can cut through the grass at that little midpoint around the oval without incurring any penalties if you do it right, just avoid the cars going around the turns in front and you're way ahead, easy way to make 3,750,000 in 1"54ish if you're looking to get alot of cars in several colors like me :)

When racing with 16 cars on Fuji the framerate drops pretty bad in the first corner, if it's this bad with the field spread out as far as the AI does, online could be pretty bad, I guess we will find out on the 25th.

What's up with the low number of races? I have to do the same races over and over to earn enough money to buy new cars which are required to move on to the next class. Why don't they give me the car needed for the next race?

And why the hell don't I have access to all the cars in arcade mode, if a car sim has good physics there is no need to block access to all the cars.

To which there's only two possible explinations.

-Your PS3 is faster than evryone else's.
-You haven't nocited them, but they are there.

I guarantee, that in the current state of the engine, if running with multiple cars screan tearing is there in evry track.
It's just doesn't stay there for very long.
I've had a look out for them and I have noticed some small framerate drops, but still not seen a single screen tear.

What's up with the low number of races? I have to do the same races over and over to earn enough money to buy new cars which are required to move on to the next class. Why don't they give me the car needed for the next race?

And why the hell don't I have access to all the cars in arcade mode, if a car sim has good physics there is no need to block access to all the cars.

KY has said they made GT5P more like a small striped down version of a full GT, meaning you need to earn money/credits to buy cars, like a mini career.

I just got my G25 and i'm trying gosh, it's a whole different world, i'm a damn noob now :P

nvm found the problem :D

I just got my G25 and i'm trying gosh, it's a whole different world, i'm a damn noob now :P

nvm found the problem :D

did u got everyithng on sim? :) i remember when i used a wheel on gt4 lol DFP :)

Got everything on sim all aids removed and all that, doing the nsx time trial course and i can't ****ing do one turn without going in the grass :P

goddamn nsx, will take a lot of time to get used to this, first time with the wheel :P

I haven't had too much trouble with the time trials so far, but the B class one in the Evo I just can't get a rythem going. I loved the Audi TT one, from my first lap I was just amazed at how fast that can can be driven. I got overtake by an R8 with about 3 mins to go and by the time I finished I still had the R8 in sight. Granted, it's not keeping up with the R8 for that long, but it put a smile on my face. I managed to overtake the GT-R as well a few times, took him a good lap to get far enough past me for me to not out brake him and nick in front.

One thing I'm not keen on is the penalty for contact, you get away with most contact but the times I have been penalised aare when an AI car has been pushing inot me, not the other way round. That and the way the races start, it should be in a grid formation rolling or standing, it should be a grid formation, are my two biggest gripes.

hansiu - what does physics have to do with cars being available in arcade mode? :S

The mode I play the most in good sims (like LFS, RBR and Forza 2) is just free ride, I can spend probably hundreds of hours just driving around, the AI and multiplayer parts doesn't really interest me that much. But GT doesn't have that driving joy for me, so I see it as them artificially giving the player additional challenges so that the player doesn't get bored with just driving around.

It doesn't take long to work through the races, I'm half way through in maybe a combined total of 4 hours of play.

like Dave mentioned, I have been thinking the same.....

I really hope GT5 includes grid formations, I have a bad feeling due to performance reasons rolling start has only been used.

I just finished all the races & all the manufactures races that were lit up, I wonder if the ones that weren't lit up are because those cars will be available for download later?

Oh well, I'm going to rack up some cash & save it to my Japan account for when the online is released.

Got everything on sim all aids removed and all that, doing the nsx time trial course and i can't ****ing do one turn without going in the grass :P

goddamn nsx, will take a lot of time to get used to this, first time with the wheel :P

dont give up, after a while ull love it more and more :)

NSX might not be the best car to practice using a wheel in straight away, with all assists off and professional mode the NSX can be a little tricky when pushed hard, but sure fun.

i seem to struggle with anything rwd. namely the nsx, vette, and ferraris. think i have too much of a heavy right foot going around corners. and that i don't know how to adapt my driving style for rwd cars. anything fwd or 4wd i am fast.

rather the problem i have is that once the car steps out a bit i try hold it but it either keeps going and spins out or on the snap back i lose it.

any tips anyone?

Welcome to my short look and impressions of GT5 Prologue. Some of you may or may not know that I have imported GT5P from Japan as have allot of people on GTplanet.net, well I have had my copy for two days and I wanted to share what I like and dislike so far with promise of a full rundown on the game as soon as I’ve golded all the races.

1316_0007small.jpg

With anticipation I flicked the switch at the back of my PS3 and pushed the PS button in the middle of my sixaxis controller after been greeted with the usual strings and flow of liquid across my screen I popped the game disk into the PS3 and loaded it up, now after reading the back of the box I knew I had to install at least 5GB of data onto the PS3’s HDD but it took its time to do this part of the process compared to other games, but saying that it all went along with no problems what so ever.

1316_0012small.jpg

After the install I proceeded to watch the intro and in HD is looked awesome, after that I was placed into the main menu which is very nice and slick, its easy to find what your doing and although It’s a Japanese import its mostly in English so not problems there, then after turning the music off in the game and replays I had to purchase my first car, and after reading the impressions of people who already own I got myself the Integra Type R, the I jumped straight into the Makers Race and turned off all aids and switched to Pro mode.

1316_0014small.jpg

After waiting for what seems like half a second I was prompted with race stats and details and the options to Race and various others like watching a race that is carried out with out me actually racing. Again click into the race you are starting to race within no time at all, its all very fast loading and Polyphony Digital have done a great job of optimizing the load times, especially considering the amount of stuff it has to load, so it begs the question why all other games have such long load times, this is obviously not down to load amounts, its just down to sloppy coding and sloppy workmanship, PD have really got the Next Gen vibe with things like this.

1316_0016small.jpg

Playing feels so familiar yet also very new, the new pro mode physics are a great improvement over the aging GT4 template and the graphics are as you can see by the screenshots absolutely stunning but what really lets this game fall short of a true great is the sound, Tires and wind and engine sounds all sound like they have come from GT4 but just tweaked a little bit, they are poor especially when we have seen films with great audio fidelity and awesome sounding engines, Im just hoping they make it into GT5’s finished package, but slating the sound isn’t really a big thing as it does the job its meant.

1316_0017small.jpg

The improvements have been not just seen in graphics, but also an area that has been slated in all GT games from the start and thats the AI, I have found the AI so much better, if your like me and try as hard to be a clean driver obviously making the slight mistake here and there the AI is great to drive with, they try and overtake each other and this can be a pain sometimes as they are 3 and 4 cars abreast and trying to find a way through can be hard but fun as it makes the game that little more realistic then you have the way they react to you if they are behind you they slow to avoid you and will over take and give you enough room to maneuver without ramming you off the track, but alas its not all so polished, they still stick to rigid lines and wont cut across to defend from an overtaking from you, but they do make the occasional mistake which is fun to see.

1316_0018small.jpg

Overall I think GT5P is a bit of 50/50 game some things are a let down and others are fantastic, but for me i’ve been waiting for a really good GT experience since GTHD as the demos can only satisfy small portions of my desire for GT. So would I recommend this game to anyone else, well If like me you love GT then yes, if you are a casual gamer then I would say wait for GT5.

1316_0020_small.jpg

PD are obviously making inroads to the kind of realism they want but this effort seems to me more focused on the graphics rarther than the actual gameplay, but I've never had a real problem with any of the GT games so for me im as happy as a pig in muck.

Plus points:
  • Lush Graphics
  • Improved AI

Negative Points:
  • Poor sounds
  • No online (yet rumored to be added at Christmas)

Score: 80%

Nice little review, online is not rumoured for christmas it is confirmed on the official GT5P website.

I don't mind most the sounds, the tyre sounds are improved mainly in the range of sound when loosing traction, from a scrubbing/houl to a screech and various pitches it between.

My biggest negative points:

*Occasional frame rate loss and tearing
*No replay controls except view change
*No grid starts (performance issue I suspect)
*Pretty much forced to use standard physics settings to complete some of the trials and missions

I wont bother with the plus points as there are so many.

Back