GT5 Prologue vs. GT HD vs FM2

• Thread starter frestkd
  • 59 comments
If you don’t have the ability to compare Gran Turismo HD Demo, Gran Turimso 5 Prologue, and Forza Motorsport 2 with your own eyes, your opinions on this subject has no grounds, or merit, and watching it on Youtube.com doesn’t count.
Says who? you? The difference can even be seen on Youtube.

frestkd
In order to have separate linear throttle/ brake like in Forza Motorsport 2, the user/gamer has to reassign controller buttons, or go buy racing wheel that costs around 100 bucks.
And what does this have do with with your complaint? makes no sense at all.

frestkd
I expect when a software company advertises their product as “The Real Driving Simulator” to have REAL DAMAGE like a real simulator.
Hahahaha! First of all, you apparently have very high standards more like a spoiled brat then a Casual gamer. Second, Software Company? You mean Game developer? Maybe its just me, but this seemingly justifies that you have no idea what you are mad about if you can't even get that right.
frestkd
As a die-hard Gran Turismo fan I’m very disappointed in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue so far, because it can’t stand up even against Gran Turismo HD Demo which is an earlier version of itself. Gran Turismo HD Demo has complex sprites walking around interacting with each other in the racing environment, and Gran Turimo 5 Prologue has simple sprites in the grandstands not interacting with each other in the racing environment, like in the first three Gran Turismo games. Gran Turismo 4 has both spite types, and Forza Motorsport 2 has something almost like Gran Turismo 4, but not quite.
Is there something you do like about the game because it looks like you are just about negative about everything. BTW, its a Demo. Thought you like to know that.

frestkd
Polyphony Digital has their work cut out for them if they’re going to compete with Turn10’s Forza Motorsport 2. Polyphony Digital has to include custom paint jobs , full driveline swaps, online auctions, online racing with the user/gamer’s own vehicles, have full exterior damage, and separate linear throttle/ brake without reassign controller buttons in Gran Turismo 5 if they want to keep fans like me.

attachment.php

Again, says who?

frestkd
If Gran Turismo 5 doesn’t have every generation of the BMW M3, I might not buy it when it’s first released.

attachment.php

While I'm at it, I would like to see you make a game with fans like you making rather unrealistic expectations, moaning and griping about every single little thing seen in the game and don't back it up with facts, but with nitpicking bickering. Seriously, People like you need to stop going ape over what you don't have and appreciate what you do have because your type of fans don't help at all.

"Gran Turismo doesn't need fans like you"

that's right....how dare you say you like Forza!...or say GT:HD looks better. GT:HD is year old how could it possibly live up to the godly GTP5 demo.

get out of here you forza freak!

seriously you guys are such fanboys about this series....
It is ok to criticize the game and still love the franchise. Now is the time. Make you issues public and we will get a more polished product in the end. If PD says 1080p and it is not...call them on it.(720p and less issues is fine with me, but just say so) If they say 60fps and it is not....same....as for the lighting and v-snyc issues.
I am sure I will get flamed for saying that....
When the game looks like the media they have released I will be there right along with you defending the forum against "forza lovers"

Although I don't have the V-Sync problem and very slight frame rate issues, I have to agree with what you've said. It seems like any criticism of the game, even constructive ones, are look down upon from fans of Gran Turismo. We should be criticizing an unfinished game and voicing our opinion on what should be improved.

PD, if they were smart which I'm sure they are, would have some people dedicated to just reading feedbacks from their fans and reading both positive and negative feedbacks and taking all constructive ones into consideration. I'm pretty sure PD has people just for this, we just don't know it but I'm willing to bet that someone from PD is watching. Maybe that guy who was doing the translation for KY at the TGS? He seems to have the English language down pretty well. ;)

If I were head of a development company, that's exactly what I would do. If you think about it, it's FREE information and ideas that will only help better the game you're developing and will overall help with sales.

People are too quick to jump on someone for saying anything negative about the game. It doesn't mean that we don't like the game and think it's a piece of crap. Just voicing our opinion on what should be done to maybe improve the game more and take it one step closer to "simulation". Telling someone to go away and play their Forza game is just plain immature, in my opinion.

I thought GTP would have a more mature and more open minded crowd than Forzamotorsport.net but I'm starting to have my doubts. Of course, I still feel that this thread should not have been made since there have been so many other threads about this already. Ok, I'm done! Feel free to look right past my long and boring post to more interesting ones.:lol:

It seems like any criticism of the game, even constructive ones, are look down upon from fans of Gran Turismo. We should be criticizing an unfinished game and voicing our opinion on what should be improved.
While I totally agree, There is a difference between reasonably expressing your opinion or suggesting ideas and Unreasonably complaining and some of the criticisms "look down upon" seem to be more towards bickering about every small thing instead of reasonable criticising about the more important issues.

PD, if they were smart which I'm sure they are, would have some people dedicated to just reading feedbacks from their fans and reading both positive and negative feedbacks and taking all constructive ones into consideration. I'm pretty sure PD has people just for this, we just don't know it but I'm willing to bet that someone from PD is watching. Maybe that guy who was doing the translation for KY at the TGS? He seems to have the English language down pretty well. ;)
I would think they are watching and listening, how else would ferrari and Daytona be here?;)
Quiet_Storm
If I were head of a development company, that's exactly what I would do. If you think about it, it's FREE information and ideas that will only help better the game you're developing and will overall help with sales.
Very true. If anything, thats the best way to know for sure is to hear from the fans themselves, Though only realistic and reasonable would be the sort of criticism I would be looking for if I were in that position.
Quiet_Storm
Telling someone to go away and play their Forza game is just plain immature, in my opinion.
I think you have missinterpreted that. His post looked like this:
The Interceptor
It may sound harsh, but maybe Gran Turismo doesn't need fans like you, which always complain about what they don't have and what they won't get, instead of being happy with what they actually have. Maybe it's just a general difference in attitude between you and me, but I spent many many very nice hours with Gran Turismo so far, and I have no reason to believe that future Gran Turismos will change that. I'm not saying the game is perfect, there are loads of things that should be addressed. Still, I don't leer at what other games have and do all the time, and I don't see the point of that. If you like FM better and don't like where GT is going, why don't you just simply stop playing GT and play FM?

I don't read anywhere that it said "go away and play your forza game".
Quiet_Storm
Of course, I still feel that this thread should not have been made since there have been so many other threads about this already.
Exactly.

Man this is some thread, what is with the constant reiteration of the same things discussed, just one page prior. We've got a member who for some reason, is a half empty glass type of guy. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but what is wrong is him trying to pass that off as enlightening information, then ever soo often repeats the same thing, a few posts later.

For if all the little niggles bother you that much, why even waste your precious time talking about it on a board for those who are looking for to the game? So one question, do you have a game that upholds your standards? If yes, log out and go play it.

As for the other individual, are you seriously trying to insult the plethora of people in this forum? Listen if you are soo much more mature than everyone else, you for one would have been able to decipher what he was trying to do. It's not about maturity but common sense. Mixing truths and half truths are the hallmark of those who like to undermine others and their beliefs.

Sorry for takin up your time and/or space, but I felt that I needed to get this off my chest.

Back to topic.
Of the 3, Prologue Demo, mops up easily in the visual depatment, even with the jaggies, it's still displays more vehicles, higher native resolution and polygon count, than the other two. Even in it's demo stage, this demo is pretty stiff competition for two full fledged games. The sound fields within the car are done exceptionally well, vehicles sound more like their reali life counter parts, they look the part definately. Supports the best wheel ever.
Now The physics in the demo are a little strange, the best sense of physics are on the n1-3's and s1-s2's, depending on car. overall feel is very good, because of the ABS, braking feels strange, and also grip loss, is a bit sudden at times. Vehicular impact physics are definately not optimized, it's still a pretty good demo.

Another reason I am so critical of the demo and want to have complaints aired is that I find PD to be the most impressive, most passionate, and most hard working development team I have ever seen clips, researched or read about.
I would not be here if I was not a fan myself but that does not mean I am impressed with everything about the demo.
So it is the love that brings the extra picky thoughts....

For if all the little niggles bother you that much, why even waste your precious time talking about it on a board for those who are looking for to the game? So one question, do you have a game that upholds your standards? If yes, log out and go play it.

Why even waste your precious time to reply to these threads if you're so sick of it? Is someone holding a gun to your head and is forcing your to read these threads, reply to them and get really frustrated over it?:lol:

As for the other individual, are you seriously trying to insult the plethora of people in this forum? Listen if you are soo much more mature than everyone else, you for one would have been able to decipher what he was trying to do. It's not about maturity but common sense.

I don't know what other individual you're talking about but I'm going to assume it's me since I did say something about maturity. How should I have decipher this thread? That he was looking to get made fun of and flamed for his criticism of the game? I don't know about you but I sure don't enjoy being flamed on an internet forum so I really can't understand why someone would do something to purposely get flamed or start a "flame war".

Also, maturity has nothing to do with the ability to "decipher" what someone is saying over an internet forum. I can tell you to "**** off" in a joking way and am smiling while I'm typing it but would you know that it was in a joking way? Would you be able to decipher it properly over an internet forum just by reading my post? Do you know what I'm feeling right now and what my intentions are with this particular post? Are you psychic? If you are, am I going to be rich one day when I grow up?

Who are you to say what is true and what is untrue? Just because you feel a certain way doesn't mean other people will have to agree with you on it. Just because you're not experiencing it or doesn't have the eye to see certain imperfections, doesn't mean others will see the same thing that you do.

Mixing truths and half truths are the hallmark of those who like to undermine others and their beliefs.

Are you a very religious person? Just curious. :)

That statement of mine about "GT probably doesn't need a fan like you" ... usually I don't say stuff like that. And that's the exact reason why I said that it may sound harsh. I know it was borderline insulting frestkd, and it obviously created a stir. However, I still think that a person that considers itself a "die-hard Gran Turismo fan" and that has survived well in this pretty strict forum for such a long time will have some more insight. I would expect those comments from

a) someone who doesn't like Gran Turismo in general
b) someone who hasn't informed him/her what to expect from the GT5:P demo

It's no shame to not know something, but it is a shame to not inform you about it, especially if you know this forum. There's plenty of information and room for criticism in the already existing GT5:P demo threads. And I don't see how this one-sentence rant was important enough to not go in there.

Quiet Storm, im not sure what you are attempting to say, but try not to mis-quote me. Yet again you are trying to defend his silly so called points. Why? The demo has issues, what's your point? He said that it doesn't run at 60FPS, is that a truth or an untruth? You seem intelligent, how about you read and understand next time before you start firing off eh? This guy goin on an on about calling PD on things they didn't live up to. Let's see here: 1080p check, 60FPS check, 16 car grid check, car interiors check, better A.I. check, some of the best if not the best ingame visuals seen in a game to date check. Last time I looked, PD said nothing about V-Sync being perfect ironed out for the Demo of Demo of GT5. So you know what all his point make him sound like? A pessimistic brat, enjoy the demo, if you don't like it, don't play it. When I get bored, i like to speak my mind, especially when I can clearly see that someone isn't even being serious, just nitpicking over a demo. A DEMO?!? I wonder what happens when someone gets his order at the local buger place wrong, they have to cart him off in a paddy wagon, complete with a hug me shirt on.
Fanboys?!? Call someone something that you yourself pretty much are, never once did he speak of the issues in Forza, limited sounds, pathetic visual damage, impacts that cause damage that doesn't even make sense, blandly colored courses and courses that look like they were colored with pastels, inconsistent frame rate, I can go on, but why. I like Forza to an extent, it's still a great game, but to me it's still a place holder for GT5. I prefer PD's style, ain't got much to do with realism, i just like what PD has offered me and will continue to like it until such a day comes where I do not like it anymore. Till then enjoy what you like, if you have criticism, fine, but what was witnessed in these few pages is plain old nonsense. Be serious, both of you. There is a limit to patience, kindness and passivity. PM if you have anything to say worthwhile.

Seems to me like the only one firing off here is you. ;) Did you read anything I said about constructive criticism? I'm not defending the OP at all. If you read my previous post to the one made replying to your post, you would have seen that I said another thread about this subject just isn't neccessary. You seem like an intelligent person, try reading more carefully yourself. We all know it's a demo but that doesn't mean the few people who are seeing flaws within the demo can't voice their opinion. If we all keep quiet, how would the game get better?

I find it amusing that you called me a fanboy.:lol:

Can you guys please stop fighting? We've already had one guy in unreasonable fashion voice his opinion and one guy misreads another one's post making him seem guilty when he isn't, now this argument? This really isn't helping anything or anyone at all.

Alright peoples. First off I'm a buddy of Kristof (frestkd) I was at his house when we compared the 3 and GT4 on top of that. As far as it looks at this point in time GT5 is shaping up to be another GT3 A-spec but for PS3. This guy is a PD and Sony whore to a high degree. All I've heard out of him for the last 5 years is GT this and GT that. I mean I've seen this guy play for days.......DAYS! And straight, not go to work and come home and boot up the Playstation. All A-spec also! Plays like a machine and is damn good at these games. I was blown out of the water when he pointed these issues out to me and I sat down and compaired it all for myself. I still play GT4 but also FM2. Now the fact is GT1 was fantastic and of course GT2 was better in every way possible. Now GT3 was not as good as GT2 except for the graphics part and sound. Now GT4 came out and took the PS2 graphics and knocked em up quite a bit and added the features that GT3 lacked. Now sure I picked up FMS for Xbox when it came out and it had that personal aspect to it and hooked me. I like making my car personal. Not NFS like because I think those games are a damn joke. I have pics posted of this personal touch that was improved in FM2. So thats one thing I look for in a Real Driving Simulator due to the fact if I actually owned these cars I would make damn sure they didn't have the same paint job as all the others. Driving damage is another factor I like in visual form. Sure Driving into a wall at 100 mph in Real life will kill you in almost all cases and in Real life you will see visual damage. These new games are supposed to be next gen right? Well then I want to see new features and graphic effects. what is great and solid can always be built on. Really take all the GT games and compare and the facts are there. I'm not a gamer who bases everything off of graphics but the features and content are what I really look for. I guess I won't truly know till GT5 hits the shelf. But as far as it looks right now they still have miles and miles to go. Again these are my own opinions and everyone has em.

Attachments

• 0b01a07e-cbed-4231-bcb5-ad71664da64b.jpg
    0b01a07e-cbed-4231-bcb5-ad71664da64b.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 26b61771-b659-447d-9b30-b1f6ee31c1a1.jpg
    26b61771-b659-447d-9b30-b1f6ee31c1a1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 53
  • b3badc1e-e405-4f12-91ba-8cf61be3d147.jpg
    b3badc1e-e405-4f12-91ba-8cf61be3d147.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 54
If you don't mind jagged edges or way too oversteery handling and destroying legendary cars with horrendous graphics and bodykits is your cup of tea, I understand why you like FM2 so much. It's undoubtedly a good game in its own rights but it would still be wise to wait for the full release of GT5, play it and only then make the comparison. At the moment you're comparing FM2 to GT4, which is just about as intelligent as comparing GT4 to GT1. Somehow I have a feeling that every variable hasn't been taken into consideration here.

The entire thread title is a bit misleading, there is no point in comparing GT5P Demo (as we don't have the full Prologue yet), GTHD and FM2. One of them is virtually a free work in process alpha release, one of them is a free mini-sized game and one of them is a full game that costs money. Call me biased but I don't think this comparison is fair by any means.

I prefer

GranTurismo5.jpg

Some prefer

Forza2.jpg

Now don't get me wrong there are advantages to option #2. You can do alot of extra things with it. Look, it even has great customization unlike the first option which is starting to look more and more like that boring Gran Turismo that doesn't let you customize anything. Just like Forza's awesome paint shop feature that lets you paint the cars anyway you wish, you can get any color you ever wanted here as well

cheap-watch-colors.jpg

It also has lots of other fancy things like stop watch, and glow in th dark faceplates. Oh and I shouldn't forget to mention that Rolex is pretty tough and can take a beating without breaking, much like the cars in Gran Turismo. However, option #2 is realistic as it breaks quite easily just like Forza's marvelously detailed damage system.

Can you really blame those who like option #2?

If you don't mind jagged edges or way too oversteery handling and destroying legendary cars with horrendous graphics and bodykits is your cup of tea, I understand why you like FM2 so much. It's undoubtedly a good game in its own rights but it would still be wise to wait for the full release of GT5, play it and only then make the comparison. At the moment you're comparing FM2 to GT4, which is just about as intelligent as comparing GT4 to GT1. Somehow I have a feeling that every variable hasn't been taken into consideration here.

The entire thread title is a bit misleading, there is no point in comparing GT5P Demo (as we don't have the full Prologue yet), GTHD and FM2. One of them is virtually a free work in process alpha release, one of them is a free mini-sized game and one of them is a full game that costs money. Call me biased but I don't think this comparison is fair by any means.

Everyone read this.

it was posted just a two posts up, but since it seems the most sensible post so far, I thought it would be useful to emphasise the post a bit.

Don't bother with comparisons yet, lets wait and see shall we 👍

Look what I can do with FM2 ... I hope I can do that on GT5 ... hehe

Attachments

• 53492c33-1036-463f-acfb-77751f1dbf6f.jpg
    53492c33-1036-463f-acfb-77751f1dbf6f.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 69
I give up...

welcome to the Dark Side ... haha GTR2?? that last PC Racing Sim. that I played was Sports GT by EA ... then I got hooked on GT after GT4 was out I went and bought an original XBox and Forza Motorsport. I wasn't really impressed at first until my friend borrowed my original XBox started playing Forza. By that time I bought an XBox 360 so I bought another copy of Forza kinda like the gameplay the graphics weren't not upto GT4, but having separate linear throttle/brake is nice touch. Then FM2 came out ... then I realize the 360's short comings ... the dual layer dvd drive.

You missed my point.

Why start comparing yet, there is very little to compare, since most things are going to improve. at least wait until prologue, then you can compare a few more things. If I am honest, the only fair comparison will be the full GT5 game, but we may be waiting quite a while for that, given PD's delay record.

Just out of curiosity, for the people who played GT4: Prologue, did the final GT4 game change much from GT4: Prologue or was it exactly the same as Prologue? I'm talking about graphic/sound/physic/AI wise? I know Prologue probably didn't have modifying or tuning options like the final game but what about the other stuff that I listed? I never played GT4: Prologue so I have no clue and was just wondering if PD made any improvements overall in the final GT4 game compared to Prologue.

I will have to say that there are some very good things Forza 2 brings to the table. I finally got Live Gold going friday, and spent hours just having a blast racing - and wrecking a lot - and shopping on the auction house. The cars these artists and modders are making are just incredible, and there are thousands of them dedicated to recreating race cars and coming up with originals, like myself.

Personally, this is a direction I want Gran Turismo to move into. I want GT to encompass as much of the real world of motorsports as possible, and it looks like Polyphony is opening those doors. Remember that the GT5 roadmap included items like a paint shop, body kits and extensive performance modification, license plate editor, auction house, club builder, and many of the things Forza 2 left out. And as much as I'm meh on drifting, recall that GT HD had it's own Drift Competition Mode.

After waiting on the return of race modification from GT2 and seeing what Forza has to offer, that's what I want. I don't want to have a preexisting paint job for someone else's car handed to me, as well as millions of other racers across the planet. I want to be able to create my own livery from scratch. I want blank race cars I can put my own paint, decals and number plates on. The LAST thing I want to see is to get online, enter a race server, and see half the field with the 1999 Raybrig NSX. I would harf. :P

People complained about 50 slightly different Skylines in GT4. Well, along with Kent's Tuner Village idea, something like this would eliminate half of them. Now if you want to add another Skyline with it's own paintjob, either roll your own, go to Tuner Village, get or buy one from a friend, or go to the Auction House and bid on some.

Along with the joys of winning races, creating your own identity is the coolest thing ever. If you want to create a racing club, your members can have a custom livery which will identify them across the planet. Not "Hey, we'll all buy and race the #19 Calsonic Skyline!" I would harf. :P

Go go Gran Turismo ultimate mode!

As for my experience with online racing, it was... an experience all right. My God, the wrecks I was in. Invariably if I had the lead, I'd get rear ended and end up finishing third to fifth out of eight. You guys who like damage so much, keep a bottle of aspirin handy. Oy.

I will have to add that as gradually as Gran Turismo is edging towards uber realistic racing, after playing the Prologue demo, both Forza 2 and GT4 feel primitive in comparison.

Alright peoples.
So Frest dragged you in here to defend the obvious "neutrality" in his observations ?...

Good call.. Next time I make a bold statement out of my ass, I'll get my EO to sign up and say good for me !...

Yeah, I must say that most of frest's post was a load of poo, but what else is new on these boards? Malcontents, shocking. How about more happy threads to frolic in? ;)

I have wet myself! The latest DLC for FM2 has an E30 M3 .... Hmm this is so freaking cool!

Attachments

• E30m3b.jpg
    E30m3b.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 22
Back