GT5 Prologue vs. GT HD vs FM2

• Thread starter frestkd
  • 59 comments
I downloaded GT5 Prologue, and the graphics is not as good as FM2 or GT HD graphics. The controls are the same old crap, and no damage.

:grumpy:

23iz8ly.jpg

Damn it! I came into this thread in hopes of seeing a video comparison of the 3, instead I just saw the same crap that I've seen since the release of the Demo. That is, more complaints about the same thing that has been in 10 other threads. The polar bear picture was new so I guess it isn't all bad.

I downloaded GT5 Prologue, and the graphics is not as good as FM2 or GT HD graphics. The controls are the same old crap, and no damage.

The graphics in the GT:P demo are an improvement over GT:HD, and blow Forza Motorsport 2 out of the water.

The controls are, of course, the same. What could Polyphony do? Make it so square and circle turn you left and right, respectively? That'd be ridiculous. Cars haven't changed the way they are controlled, so why should GT5? If you're talking about the physics, boy, they are vastly improved in GT5. Maybe you have to turn off the driving aids and/or switch it to professional simulation to fully appreciate how much they've improved.

And ah, of course. Damage. Visible damage. No, there isn't any in the demo. There might not be any in the full game. But the visibility of damage is useless, except to look pretty. If you're a good driver, then you should rarely crash. And if you are a bad driver who crashes multiple times per race, I don't imagine you being able to stand Gran Turismo for longer than 30 minutes. Anyway, I'm sure Polyphony will include some sort of internal damage model at the very least, like in GT2.

So, you needed to start a new thread for this comment?

*yawn*

Yeah, the cars look amazing in FM2 btw!

Cars look amazing in FM2, that's one of the funniest thing I've heard this week.:lol: I know you're joking, though.

You have downloaded a GT5 prologue DEMO, and you perfer the graphics in GT HD and Forza 2. And it has never been anounced that damage will featured in the GT5 Prologue Demo !
Don't affirm anything when it's just your opinion.

FM2 has decent graphics but GT5:P blows them out of the bater, it's not even close. They're better than GT;HD's as well, though the difference isn't as big, since GT:HD already looked better than FM2.

I'm no GT fanboy either, I really like FM2, but if GT5:P is any indication of what GT5 will be like, then in terms of visuals and physics at least, it dumps on FM2 from a height.

You have got to be kidding me. GTHD and FM2 graphically better then GT5:P? You obviously need some glasses because I see quite the opposite. Since you didn't back up your complaint,I'm gonna compare the three games just to let you see how blind you are:

BTW, I don't remember This part of the forum being called "the GT complaints Forum" So this isn't really contributing at all and if anything should be closed since its a silly complaint.

You guys still give credit to stupid flame-bait posts like this? C'mon...

Just ignore them, people.

You guys still give credit to stupid flame-bait posts like this? C'mon...

Just ignore them, people.
Fair point. I just ask myself how someone this ignorant can be a member for six years and make almost 500 posts. You'd expect that such a person would have learned something during that time.

I promise you that is not me...

haha

My thoughts were always backed up with photos and discussion not some silly posting like this.
And I do not think Forza looks better than GT5 at all...I only mentioned that i felt the framerate was smooth in my personal opinion.
The cars in Forza look terrible.

Ok, I have a Playstation 3, an Xbox 360, and a Nintendo Wii on a 53 inch 1080i HDTV. If you don’t have the ability to compare Gran Turismo HD Demo, Gran Turimso 5 Prologue, and Forza Motorsport 2 with your own eyes, your opinions on this subject has no grounds, or merit, and watching it on Youtube.com doesn’t count. In order to have separate linear throttle/ brake like in Forza Motorsport 2, the user/gamer has to reassign controller buttons, or go buy racing wheel that costs around 100 bucks. The Forza Motorsport 2 Demo that can be still downloaded off of Xbox live has cosmetic, and simulation damage. I expect when a software company advertises their product as “The Real Driving Simulator” to have REAL DAMAGE like a real simulator. As a die-hard Gran Turismo fan I’m very disappointed in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue so far, because it can’t stand up even against Gran Turismo HD Demo which is an earlier version of itself. Gran Turismo HD Demo has complex sprites walking around interacting with each other in the racing environment, and Gran Turimo 5 Prologue has simple sprites in the grandstands not interacting with each other in the racing environment, like in the first three Gran Turismo games. Gran Turismo 4 has both spite types, and Forza Motorsport 2 has something almost like Gran Turismo 4, but not quite. Polyphony Digital has their work cut out for them if they’re going to compete with Turn10’s Forza Motorsport 2. Polyphony Digital has to include custom paint jobs , full driveline swaps, online auctions, online racing with the user/gamer’s own vehicles, have full exterior damage, and separate linear throttle/ brake without reassign controller buttons in Gran Turismo 5 if they want to keep fans like me. If Gran Turismo 5 doesn’t have every generation of the BMW M3, I might not buy it when it’s first released. The BMW E30 M3 is one of the most successful production racing cars in the world, and it wasn’t put into Gran Turismo 4? What type of crap is that? I was a little disappointed for Forza Motorsport 2 not having a BMW E30 M3, but Turn10 had the sense at least to put the European version of the BMW E36 M3 in the game.

Kristof :crazy:

I said I would not debate in the forums anymore but I will give it another shot and take some abuse. :)
GT is in no danger of being overtaken by Forza and the car lists in the GT series are very robust and while they might not by chance include your favorite car they are by no means lacking.
I may have criticized the GT5demo with good reasons but the PD team has a passion and are perfectionists in the end(part of my shock of the state of the demo visuals). I do not think they can do damage how they want to do it and they are going to leave it out for now. I am fine with that and you should be too. Forza damage is ugly and not really realistic. I am all for a way to penalize online racers for damage in GT5 though.

You are right......I have a great setup 1080p myself and GT:HD looks much better to my eyes. It has no cars on track though so I will be very curious to see the same track in GT5 prologue.
I still think in my personal opinion that Forza's frame rate is more solid than GT5:P demo. My wife says the same thing by looking at it as does my non gamer friend. They both ask why it is choppy when cars get in front of you.
Does it look better than GT5....hell no....
My non-gamer friends also pick GT:HD as the best looking game they have ever seen when over my place. (it has no cars on track though)
Anyway I see some of your points but you are not making a good case by saying forza looks better and is going to overtake GT
It doesn't and wont.

Awesome post frestkid. I needed a laugh :lol:

So where do I start my reply...

frestkd
Ok, I have a Playstation 3, an Xbox 360, and a Nintendo Wii on a 53 inch 1080i HDTV. If you don’t have the ability to compare Gran Turismo HD Demo, Gran Turimso 5 Prologue, and Forza Motorsport 2 with your own eyes, your opinions on this subject has no grounds, or merit, and watching it on Youtube.com doesn’t count.

The difference between the graphics is quite obvious even in youtube videos. So what are you trying to say? That Forza Motorsport 2 (a full game) looks better then this demo?

frestkd
The Forza Motorsport 2 Demo that can be still downloaded off of Xbox live has cosmetic, and simulation damage. I expect when a software company advertises their product as “The Real Driving Simulator” to have REAL DAMAGE like a real simulator. As a die-hard Gran Turismo fan I’m very disappointed in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue so far, because it can’t stand up even against Gran Turismo HD Demo which is an earlier version of itself.

The Forza Motorsport 2 demo was released just a couple of weeks before the final game was shipped. Gran Turismo 5 won't be shipped until Q3 2008 or later. So you're saying Gran Turismo shouldn't call itself the real driving simulator because you can't bust our your windows and have underwhelming damage like Forza? So if PD setup the damage system where smashing your car into a barrier at 100mph broke off your front bumper and bent your hood up would that make it a real driving simulator? If in your mind damage is the most important feature to be a 'true' simulator you are SADLY mistaken.

Great simulators like Microsoft's Flight Simulator have NEVER had damage, yet are there those who claim it is not a true simulator because they can't satisfy their blood thirst and crash the planes? I feel sorry for the individuals who do because their priorities of what makes a great simulator are 'twisted'

frestkd
Gran Turismo HD Demo has complex sprites walking around interacting with each other in the racing environment, and Gran Turimo 5 Prologue has simple sprites in the grandstands not interacting with each other in the racing environment, like in the first three Gran Turismo games. Gran Turismo 4 has both spite types, and Forza Motorsport 2 has something almost like Gran Turismo 4, but not quite. Polyphony Digital has their work cut out for them if they’re going to compete with Turn10’s Forza Motorsport 2.

The fans in the Gran Turismo 5: Prologue demo at Suzuka are 3-D and animated despite the fact there are hundreds on screen at times.

But wait a second, you're expecting PD to waste who knows how much processing power to create full 3-D fans around the track? :scared:

frestkd
Polyphony Digital has to include custom paint jobs , full driveline swaps, online auctions, online racing with the user/gamer’s own vehicles, have full exterior damage, and separate linear throttle/ brake without reassign controller buttons in Gran Turismo 5 if they want to keep fans like me.

I doubt PD will miss your 'type' of fan, because quite frankly I'm sure there aren't many of you. If gimmicky features make or break a game in your mind then I feel sorry for you. PD's analogy was correct, some enjoy cheap, economy watches with alot of features, some prefer premium watches with not as many features, but higher quality.

I also find it funny for a fan who demands a hardcore simulation experience you use a PAD, and refuse to fork over money for a wheel...:lol:

frestkd
If Gran Turismo 5 doesn’t have every generation of the BMW M3, I might not buy it when it’s first released. The BMW E30 M3 is one of the most successful production racing cars in the world, and it wasn’t put into Gran Turismo 4? What type of crap is that? I was a little disappointed for Forza Motorsport 2 not having a BMW E30 M3, but Turn10 had the sense at least to put the European version of the BMW E36 M3 in the game.

Seeing that you own every console and a HDTV and you have extremely high, unrealistic standards, I see you as a very hard to please person who wants everything the way you like it with little to no compromises. An only child perhaps?

One of the consistent problems with the trolls here is that they chew away like little rats on any little flaw/shortcoming of the demo yet they ignore everything it does well.

. Polyphony Digital has to include custom paint jobs , full driveline swaps, online auctions, online racing with the user/gamer’s own vehicles, have full exterior damage, and separate linear throttle/ brake without reassign controller buttons in Gran Turismo 5 if they want to keep fans like me. Kristof :crazy:

funny.... i don't see anyone holding a gun to your head...!! yr entitled to yr opinion but at least back it up convincingly... and don't complain about things that if u were a true GT fan u would already know about... :dopey:

perhaps u should wait until gt5p comes out and them pass judgement. I'm sure you will find it will be significantly more polished than this demo... and don't worry i have all 3 games and a 50inch HD plasma...... FM2 does not have superior graphics or a superior frame-rate to this "demo" of a "demo" of gt5

If Gran Turismo 5 doesn’t have every generation of the BMW M3, I might not buy it when it’s first released. The BMW E30 M3 is one of the most successful production racing cars in the world, and it wasn’t put into Gran Turismo 4? What type of crap is that? I was a little disappointed for Forza Motorsport 2 not having a BMW E30 M3, but Turn10 had the sense at least to put the European version of the BMW E36 M3 in the game.

You might want to try EPR. its got an E30 M3 and its awsum fun to race!!!!

Earth has already made a fair bunch of good points about your comments, but I'd like to add some more...
The Forza Motorsport 2 Demo that can be still downloaded off of Xbox live has cosmetic, and simulation damage.
I'm afraid I can't find it right now, but I do remember a nice statement someone made in one of the GT5:P demo threads. He said that there are two types of demos:

1. a demo that is a small portion taken out of a full and ready game
2. a demo that is a full or partial set of a game still in development

Obviously, the result will differ. In the first case, the demo will most likely be fully functional and represent the capabilities of the game in full effect. That is what the FM2 demo is like.
In the second case, such as with the GT5:P demo, it is a part of early development and therefore nowhere near finished. Considering the way a game is built - programming the basic stuff like physics, graphics and sounds and then start to hone and add the small things - it should be obvious that the "in the works" demo of a preview of a full game does not represent the final product to a full extent. And if I can understand that, I wonder why you can't.
I expect when a software company advertises their product as “The Real Driving Simulator” to have REAL DAMAGE like a real simulator.
Uh oh, I've been waiting to discuss this very thing for a long time, and finally, the day has come. I've been playing computer games since the Atari and the C64. And even then, when those games only were a bunch of gigantic pixels and some pling plong noises, the packaging advertised the content as "realistic", "breathtaking" and "simulation". It has always been done, and it always will: marketing. Therefore, I don't see how you can blame the "real driving simulator" for not being as real as you'd like it to be.
If we talk about real damage, which I personally would love to see, we're talking about a realistic crash simulation like the big car manufacturers do them. That inculdes a dead character when you slam your car into the wall at 180 mph. Also, this would need a 100% correct inner structure of the car to allow true to life deforming of all parts. I am with Kaz on this one: true damage would be great, and if I can't have that, I'll rather have no damage at all. Driving against a wall at full speed resulting in a dented bonnet and a broken window may be a nice effect, but nowhere near realistic either.
Polyphony Digital has to include custom paint jobs , full driveline swaps, online auctions, online racing with the user/gamer’s own vehicles, have full exterior damage, and separate linear throttle/ brake without reassign controller buttons in Gran Turismo 5 if they want to keep fans like me.
It may sound harsh, but maybe Gran Turismo doesn't need fans like you, which always complain about what they don't have and what they won't get, instead of being happy with what they actually have. Maybe it's just a general difference in attitude between you and me, but I spent many many very nice hours with Gran Turismo so far, and I have no reason to believe that future Gran Turismos will change that. I'm not saying the game is perfect, there are loads of things that should be addressed. Still, I don't leer at what other games have and do all the time, and I don't see the point of that. If you like FM better and don't like where GT is going, why don't you just simply stop playing GT and play FM?
Look how far we've got. In the past, there were games where cars weren't even true to life, rather than some fantasy models. In GT4, we had 700+ real life cars, and you're complaining that there was a specific model missing. That's like watching a movie with Angelina Jolie, Cameron Diaz and Keira Knightley, and then complain afterwards that Jessica Alba was not in that movie, which she should have been, as she is a beautiful actress as well.

"Gran Turismo doesn't need fans like you"

that's right....how dare you say you like Forza!...or say GT:HD looks better. GT:HD is year old how could it possibly live up to the godly GTP5 demo.

get out of here you forza freak!

seriously you guys are such fanboys about this series....
It is ok to criticize the game and still love the franchise. Now is the time. Make you issues public and we will get a more polished product in the end. If PD says 1080p and it is not...call them on it.(720p and less issues is fine with me, but just say so) If they say 60fps and it is not....same....as for the lighting and v-snyc issues.
I am sure I will get flamed for saying that....
When the game looks like the media they have released I will be there right along with you defending the forum against "forza lovers"

You're missing the point. Of course it is okay to like Forza better than Gran Turismo. The reasons why you do should be based on proper facts however. And if those facts are simply not true, how can I be fine with that decision in general?

I try to base my decisions on facts, sometimes on feelings. It happens that a game does everything obvious right, but that I still prefer another game, just because it gives me a better overall feeling. When I am asked however, I must be honest enough to state what is wrong with the game I like.

If I criticise the "real driving simulator" for not having damage and therefore prefer a game that does have damage, but nowhere on a realistic level, I have to accept that I will be addressed for that, simply because there's little logic in the decision. Like I said, it sounds harsh to say that "GT doesn't need fans like you", but that statement stands. If someone has been playing GT for such a long time and has been a member in this forum for years with hundreds of posts, I expect an open-minded and fair view on things.

I own Forza and Have got the GT:P demo , and I can honestly say graphic wise GT is much much better , hell PGR4 graphics are better than forza. comparing a demo of a demo of a full game to a full game isn't fair at all , I would rather you guys waited atleast until GT:P gets out , and still wouldn't be fair

"Gran Turismo doesn't need fans like you"

It may sound harsh, but maybe Gran Turismo doesn't need fans like you, which always complain about what they don't have and what they won't get, instead of being happy with what they actually have.

nafai23, can you spot the difference between the two quotes above?

In editing the Interceptors actual words you have subtly, but significantly altered the entire tone of it. Having seen more than enough flame-wars on this site in the past, actions like this can quickly escalate. In context and with the 'maybe' added back in make quite a bit of difference.

So for future reference can you please quote peoples words accurately (which is after all what the quote button allows you to do).

Thanks

Scaff

In order to have separate linear throttle/ brake like in Forza Motorsport 2, the user/gamer has to reassign controller buttons, or go buy racing wheel that costs around 100 bucks.
Whoa, reassign controller buttons? That must be something never seen before, and unbelievably hard.

The Forza Motorsport 2 Demo that can be still downloaded off of Xbox live has cosmetic, and simulation damage.
As far as I know, it's a demo of the final game, not a WIP alpha version of a game to be released next year.

I’m very disappointed in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue so far, because it can’t stand up even against Gran Turismo HD Demo which is an earlier version of itself. Gran Turismo HD Demo has complex sprites walking around interacting with each other in the racing environment, and Gran Turimo 5 Prologue has simple sprites in the grandstands not interacting with each other in the racing environment, like in the first three Gran Turismo games.
GTHD is what was to be released as a full game. It IS a full game, albeit a very small one. And full games tend to be a bit more polished than WIP alpha versions.

If Gran Turismo 5 doesn’t have every generation of the BMW M3, I might not buy it when it’s first released.
You have pretty damn weird requirements, I must say.

The BMW E30 M3 is one of the most successful production racing cars in the world, and it wasn’t put into Gran Turismo 4? What type of crap is that? I was a little disappointed for Forza Motorsport 2 not having a BMW E30 M3, but Turn10 had the sense at least to put the European version of the BMW E36 M3 in the game.
I wonder why we don't have a hoard of Ford fans complaining about the lack of the Mk2 Escort. Or a hoard of Fiat fans complaining about the lack of a 131. Or actually, I don't wonder. Those people are smart enough not to complain about things they can't change.

Don't whine about a product that isn't finished yet. You just look very stupid.

Back