GT5 Review scores (Update :Average metacritic score)

• Thread starter DoctorFouad
  • 1,417 comments
I'm really worried.
About those nonsense 1080p with PS2-quality tracks, with NASCAR, Rally and Kart at cost of Premium cars.I think PD are gambling this time and they failed little bit.I'd better go with beautiful,and constant 720p without crappy Nascars,Rally and Kart (and 3D), but with more Tracks and Cars.Also Premium/Standard car dividing add even more to inconsistency of the game.Did you see standard cars racing at LeMans?It's PS2 with 1080p...Wait - loading times are EVEN SLOWER???Are you kidding?Look into GT3 - it's a perfect and simple GT with perfect and simple menu structure...I need to calm down...

On my tv , and in games in general, higher resolution is much better, and what they achieved no Forza or COD or any other can achive in two year cycle. Even Crysis on my PC with everything up to high doesn't look this photorealistic. I will quote my wife "wow, this looks photorealistic, not cartoony like that other racing game (Forza 3) that you play ".

The main positive for me is the physics engine is without doubt the best i've ever played.

Im rather proud of myself because yesterday I managed all golds in B, A, IC licences and yet this was the first time i've ever used a wheel. Due to the excellent physics engine I quickly adapted to using a wheel instead of a controller.

Seems like the saving grace right now. Good news, I'm about to jump on my new G27 in a few hours for the first time when I get off work to try on GT5. Great to hear about the physics. The leaderboard has to be locked for some reason right now, I can't think of any reason out of all games why GT5 wouldn't have them.

After reading that review, I'd have that say that it is a nicely written review.
"Gran Turismo 5 gives back as much as you put in".

Thanks! (i think i''ll add that to my signature)👍

For me its like this:
When I play the game ... > ... its all about the physics ... Awesome!
When I watch the replay ... > ... its all about the graphics ... Very Good!

Last edited:
"A-Spec's races aren't helped by the return of the series' now trademark zombie A.I. Any tweaks that have been made are hard to decipher as by and large your fellow racers will pay little attention to your on-track maneuvers, often braking at inexplicable moments and turning what should be a high-octane contest into a comic bout of very expensive bumper cars."

VS.

"Opponent AI feels like it has greatly improved since the last game. It appears that a lot of care went into realism this time around. I got the sense that I was in races with drivers of different types for the first time in the series. Some seemed aggressive and others careful. All seemed to put on the heat in the last leg of the last lap. This made for some tense finishes that felt closer to what you might experience in a race with real opponents. There were many times where I was fully immersed in competition and had to remind myself that I wasn't actually in a live race."

You can't really get 2 more different views than that lol...Once again, never fully trust reviews.

I got the game yesterday (Subway contest) and have been playing it for hours now. I'm not sure why some are shocked by the reviews. The game is clearly designed for GT fans. It's fairly evident that PD didn't set out to make it appeal toward people that weren't interested in the series before. Instead they pushed it more to being geared toward those of us that have already loved it. If you're in that boat then you're going to be perfectly happy with it. If you're not then your opinion of the series probably isn't going to change.

SolidSnakex this is the best review ever........ and this is where Forza went wrong. Casual gamers don't appreciate hardcore sims, they more on after 1 or 2 months to the next game. I wonder how LFS,Rfactor or any other PC sim would behave if they where meant for casual players.

regarding reviewers problem with damage, it unlock after certain level, which i assume non of them have.

regarding reviewers problem with damage, it unlock after certain level, which i assume non of them have.

I still cant believe they actually did it this way. So something so crucial to making a sim actually realistic, has to be unlocked. Who's bright idea was that one?

And that's a fact is it? I haven't received my copy yet but from what I gather it's very much up in the air at the moment.

If it's true please quote source thanks.

None of those reviews should be taken serious GT5 and GT as a whole has so much content you would have to give your thouhts at least two or three months of play time to give a honest opinion.

I don't understand all that fuzz about the marks.
They are for the masses and for them presentation trumps everything.
After my first few minutes I was sure the marks would be around 8 to 8.5.
Simply the mass market (and thats for which the reviews are made) love gfx monsters. Otherwise the huge success of many franchises can't be explained.
Simply as that the pros of GT 5 are with it's simulating part and thats the part that really matters.
In my first arcade race with an fiat 500 I was shocked about the shadow bugs and so forth. Thats cause the game is rather slow and I had plenty of time to admire the interior of my car.
Than I took a more demanding track and a nice sports car and *bang* I didn't even notice all those small gfx glitches, I was to much in the game and the race to notice.
That was the point I knew, this game is, at least for me, everything I wanted. Pure and simple.
And thats why I see all those reviews as an interesting read and a great source for laughs. Sadly those reviews will have influence on the selling numbers, but on the positive side it maybe will us spare a lot of time bitching about arcade game racers in the online part which don't know nothing of racedriving and think driving somebodys car of the track is actual good racing.
GT 5 is a game for drivers not players that's the trues and I'am very happy with that

I still cant believe they actually did it this way. So something so crucial to making a sim actually realistic, has to be unlocked. Who's bright idea was that one?

IT's not a bad idea, the better driver you get through progressing in game, more it's unlocks. Do you really need damage while you're trying to pass in the license tests, and make money in the first races.

Wow these reviews actually are kinda horrible, and I'm referring to the reviewers.

Let me stick some words together, put strictly negative connotations here and there and call it a day.

Alot of the reviews seem rushed.

IGN's was horrible aswell, it's like they don't talk about everything the game has to offer?

And reviews on damage are a joke, we have seen recently some of the more extreme damage, which they seem to not have reached.

After playing 3-4 hrs. I would give the game an 80-85%... But as I said, only after 3-4 hrs. I bet I would give it an 95% after 2-3 weeks! And so the testers must do... I think they played 3 hrs. with the pad and say BS game (especially those french test jerks)...

One worse point are the shadows... Really, I never thought that they will worry me but they look worse... Maybe I must change some settings? Just playing on 1080p ??

Also I miss time trial online and PP points... The content seems also shrunked, I´am scared that the game is finished after 1 week... And then you can´t even play the online time trial, wich I did all the time in prologue...

One of the reviews on there gave it a 70. What a joke.

We are all critics. We all know how to analyze. Don't forget that, it's just another person's perspective(which tends to vary in the human race) which IS wrong and right, but it's always much better to figure it out yourself and develop your own thoughts.

After playing 3-4 hrs. I would give the game an 80-85%... But as I said, only after 3-4 hrs. I bet I would give it an 95% after 2-3 weeks! And so the testers must do... I think they played 3 hrs. with the pad and say BS game (especially those french test jerks)...

One worse point are the shadows... Really, I never thought that they will worry me but they look worse... Maybe I must change some settings? Just playing on 1080p ??

Also I miss time trial online and PP points... The content seems also shrunked, I´am scared that the game is finished after 1 week... And then you can´t even play the online time trial, wich I did all the time in prologue...

Shoot I've only played the bb demo, and I'll already give this game a 9/10.

Rated based on it delivers the most important thing necessary for real racing. The most accurate physics and feeling of racing a vehicle period, I got lost playing for about 2 hours in these 2 minute races! Imagine the real game.

Then layer on all the other aspects, and it's apparent this game should recieve no less then a 9. (Based on todays reviews of games despite flaws)

Last edited:
what!
bull**** from IGN GT5 (8.5 of 10). forza 3 (9.4 of 10) seriously! physics is crapy and the graphics there's no comparison with GT5 even GT5P.. are they blind!

what!
bull**** from IGN GT5 (8.5 of 10). forza 3 (9.4 of 10) seriously! physics is crapy and the graphics there's no comparison with GT5 even GT5P.. are they blind!

They are judging two 'games', we judge to driving sims. Given that I think it is fair.

It was confirmed to me by Amar, and Kaz also twitted.

Well that's the dumbest idea ever.
With regards to Kaz's twits it was translated as will come later. Make of that what you will but lost in translation seems the theme for GT5.
Did he mean a patch, levelling or even GT6. Nostradamus was clearer lol.

Its kind of hard to take games media(or any for that matter) seriously. Wouldnt worry. I've played insanely high rated games that are beyond awful. If anything its looking like the games media is becoming more irrelevant.

edit: the above sounds terrible reading it back but I dont want to write any essay and start a huge debate :P Just see them for what they are.

One of the reviews on there gave it a 70. What a joke.

We are all critics. We all know how to analyze. Don't forget that, it's just another person's perspective(which tends to vary in the human race) which IS wrong and right, but it's always much better to figure it out yourself and develop your own thoughts.

Shoot I've only played the bb demo, and I'll already give this game a 9/10.

Rated based on it delivers the most important thing necessary for real racing. The most accurate physics and feeling of racing a vehicle period, I got lost playing for about 2 hours in these 2 minute races! Imagine the real game.

Then layer on all the other aspects, and it's apparent this game should recieve no less then a 9. (Based on todays reviews of games despite flaws)

Its a fun game too. But can you take a review seriously when they play it for less than two days and have to do a write up? ;)

Wow these reviews actually are kinda horrible, and I'm referring to the reviewers.

Let me stick some words together, put strictly negative connotations here and there and call it a day.

Alot of the reviews seem rushed.

IGN's was horrible aswell, it's like they don't talk about everything the game has to offer?

And reviews on damage are a joke, we have seen recently some of the more extreme damage, which they seem to not have reached.

The problem is 5 years of hype. And also that some of these reviewers aren't fans of the GT series, it's obvious from some of there comments.

I would highly recommend the eurogamer review. While not totally in depth, it's an enjoyable read if nothing else.

well that's the dumbest idea ever.
With regards to kaz's twits it was translated as will come later. Make of that what you will but lost in translation seems the theme for gt5.
Did he mean a patch, levelling or even gt6. nostradamus was clearer lol.

;)

SMOKY427
what!

The main problem IGN tried to point out, I think, is the double standard in GT5. Great attention to detail would go to a particular area, while other areas doesn't seem so. The standard/premium thing seemed to be a big deal for them. Also, the fact that there is a lot of content in the game, but they're also very limited. For example, weather, day/night being only in select few tracks, and visual customizations to only a select of few cars. It's like of a combination of greatness, and mediocrity. To be great, you have to have just greatness, with few flaws.

As much as I love GT5, I think it was fair. They did mention that the physics was great. For a game to be really great, it would have to be consistent, and GT5 just doesn't seem consistent enough for them I guess. Also, they gave it Editor's choice if that matters.

One thing I noticed about their review is they don't seem to have unlocked the full potential of damage in the game. I didn't see any in-depth stuff talking about mechanical damage, dislocation of body parts, and even rollover. I may be wrong cause I read it through pretty quick.

Game is averaging 8.6 and several perfect scores, here is your crow the people who said, (Won't get any higher then 7). Considering the people knocking points off are mainly because it is a sim, and not arcade like forza.

I would say that this game is like a good aged whiskey. Not everyone can quite understand what they are tasting. This is pure class in my opinion (but I am obviously a fanboy).

I also have to say that I love spending time outside the track as opposed to the other game where all I wanted to do was get the race over with so I can move on to the next one.. All those driving schools and mini-games are one heck of a good time. I don't understand some of the reviews, it's like they were intimidated by the game and what it has to offer.

Game is averaging 8.6 and several perfect scores, here is your crow the people who said, (Won't get any higher then 7). Considering the people knocking points off are mainly because it is a sim, and not arcade like forza.

We will see what ISR put up eh. They review sims properly with a wheel.
And what's with the Forza hatred all the time?

Its a fun game too. But can you take a review seriously when they play it for less than two days and have to do a write up? ;)

Very true. And i was actually gunna agree with ur statement about game media relevance as there seems to be a lost in credibility amongst reviewers as it seems a review is more a approached as a personal opinion rather than an overall foundation of a game.

Thoblem is 5 years of hype. And also that some of these reviewers aren't fans of the GT series, it's obvious from some of there comments.

I would highly recommend the eurogamer review. While not totally in depth, it's an enjoyable read if nothing else.

It's sad because people actually take into account these reviews. Give me a website and i can put some words down, its rather simple.

Oh and wheels.
ohhh yoouu :)

Last edited:
Back