GT5 Steering Adjustability (Must read for all wheel and future owners)

• Thread starter G12
  • 136 comments

G12

I found after buying that the official GT5 wheel T500rs is unable to adjust any steering settings in GT5 , that's the only problem I found and that for me is the biggest problem.karts and Real Racing Cars like F1,LMP,GT and even WRC have a small steering which gives them quicker turning and they never cross arms , those race cars also require a very quick countersteer and its miserable when the steering is not fast and it does not matter how fast your hands are for the F1 , the steering is just too big and long. The t500rs is far from the steering you would need for a race car to be driven fast on tight circuits let alone tight corners that are in every circuit.

I found Fanatec CSR elite is the opposite , you can adjust steering settings and I remembered fanatec is mainly Xbox. Im probably going to have to return the t500rs for now and plan on waiting if there will be an update or plan on buying CSR elite.

How can the official GT5 wheel not have the most important steering setting when the official forza CSR elite wheel has it in GT5

T500rs is official GT5 wheel and you cant adjust the steering degrees in GT5.

CSR Elite is official Forza wheel and you can adjust not just steering degrees but other steering settings too straight on the wheel buttons.

Adjusting steering degrees is the biggest feature a wheel needs and T500rs official GT5 wheel doesnt have it for GT5.

"I really liked T500rs' smoothness and accuracy , its excellent but the steering is useless for the F1 car in GT5 since the steering is unchangeable at 1080 (540 each left or right) and real F1 steering has 360-420 (180-210 each left or right) , the F1 car cannot be driven fast and on oversteer slide , even if your hands are as quick as they can be , the steering is just too long and slow , you wont be able to save or correct the oversteer slide. On tight tracks or corners , steering is not fast enough , you need to cross arms which is impossible to do with the given time at F1 speeds on tight corners.The f1 wheel or t500rs f1 wheel is not designed for crossing arms because it is not round. Single seater drivers never cross arms because the steering is always set to maximum at around 180-210 from centre to left or right. No matter how good the quality the wheel has , nothing works without the realistic steering"

Will GT5 ever have steering settings (degrees/radius) for supported and official wheels. I've tried searching and it seems there are no plans for this.. No choice but to wait and see

Last edited:
hey i was looking for a wheel any advice?? about price expectations what to look at what to avoid and can you drive clutch with a wheel cus i have only found them have a 2 petal system and i not looking in the right places or what

hey i was looking for a wheel any advice?? about price expectations what to look at what to avoid and can you drive clutch with a wheel cus i have only found them have a 2 petal system and i not looking in the right places or what
if you are looking to race competitively or for fun (realistic experience of steering) which im sure 90% of GT5 wheel players want , I cannot advice you the t500rs because of the issue it has.
I dont know either if they are planning on updating or if its even possible for the system to be so.

The best wheels would be CSR Elite or G27 , both wheels are cost effective for the price they have.. G27 although you cant set steering settings , it still offers fast steering that you need for race cars ,doesnt look stylish to me in any way but it depends on your budget. Cheapest wheel would be DFGT,works but obviously wont be as good as the CSR Elite or G27 , the special feature of DFGT is the switch for brakes and driver aids , can be beneficial if you ever drive no ABS , brake balance switching helps a lot.

G12
if you are looking to race competitively or for fun (realistic experience of steering) which im sure 90% of GT5 wheel players want , I cannot advice you the t500rs because of the issue it has.
I dont know either if they are planning on updating or if its even possible for the system to be so.

The best wheels would be CSR Elite or G27 , both wheels are cost effective for the price they have.. G27 although you cant set steering settings , it still offers fast steering that you need for race cars ,doesnt look stylish to me in any way but it obviously depends on your budget. Cheapest wheel would be DFGT.

DFGT is a good wheel, only has 900 degree steering but it works.
In my opinion it's FFB is a little sloppy/lose/slow.

G12

The best wheels would be CSR Elite or G27 , both wheels are cost effective for the price they have.. G27 although you cant set steering settings , it still offers fast steering that you need for race cars ,doesnt look stylish to me in any way but it depends on your budget. Cheapest wheel would be DFGT,works but obviously wont be as good as the CSR Elite or G27 , the special feature of DFGT is the switch for brakes and driver aids , can be beneficial if you ever drive no ABS , brake balance switching helps a lot.

DFGT is a good wheel, only has 900 degree
steering but it works.

In my opinion it's FFB is a little sloppy/lose/slow.
I own DFGT and it works because it has fast steering like the G27 even with 900 degrees , the difference is the smoothness and accuracy
My T500rs though does not steer fast enough.

My advice is to adapt, my T500 RS also has the H-shift on a Wheel stand pro, and I have no problems, no assists except abs, and even the final corner of Laguna Seca gives me no trouble in Race cars, so I can recommend the T500 RS
Should add:I used it to replace my DFGT, found no problems going from that wheel to the T500RS

As I said in your other thread, it's not a specific T500RS issue, it's a problem across ALL wheels in GT5. The fact that the T500RS feels less sensitive is because of it's greater steering angle, at 1080º, versus the 900º found in most other wheels. So, if you can afford it, the T500RS is your best bet, especially if you play PC sims as well.

I have mentioned this a few times. Getting whooped by a pad user in the F1. No way I can turn fast enough to keep up. Whats so hard in adding this feature, ffs PD!!

My advice is to adapt, my T500 RS also has the H-shift on a Wheel stand pro, and I have no problems, no assists except abs, and even the final corner of Laguna Seca gives me no trouble in Race cars, so I can recommend the T500 RS
Should add:I used it to replace my DFGT, found no problems going from that wheel to the T500RS
You cant adapt slow steering with the F1 car :( When you have an oversteer slide with the F1 car even if your hands are at quickest , the countersteer is still not fast enough so usually you would loose the correction.. Thats why in real life F1 cars have almost 3x smaller steering degrees/radius. Most race cars would have 2x or less steering degrees/radius. Any race car would be slower and struggle on tight circuits like monaco or madrid or any tight corner with the t500's slow and long steering.

As I said in your other thread, it's not a specific T500RS issue, it's a problem across ALL wheels in GT5. The fact that the T500RS feels less sensitive is because of it's greater steering angle, at 1080º, versus the 900º found in most other wheels. So, if you can afford it, the T500RS is your best bet, especially if you play PC sims as well.
T500rs has 900 in GT5 but its the sensitivity because G27 and DFGT quick steering even though with 900 too.

Have you tried the steering sensitivity option.

I saw someone post this suggestion in one of the numerous other threads you have posted about this.

I have mentioned this a few times. Getting whooped by a pad user in the F1. No way I can turn fast enough to keep up. Whats so hard in adding this feature, ffs PD!!
Since pad controller sensitivity setting came there had been pad users as quick as anybody else or quickest on the ferrari f2007 and f10 too when f10 became easier than hard.

Then I urge you to look in the sim racing hardware section and completely disregard this thread.

None of your buissines on both Rev! Oh and your nice vissitor message, already reported! Your 6th account made it to 33 posts, that's a new record for you!

Controller sensitivity dose effect wheel users as well it's quite noticeable if you actually try it ! And with the t500 you can adjust the amount of rotation. Most people I have spoken to run it between 1000-1050°. this also effects the sensitivity

G12
blahblahblah

Are you still going on about this ?

I use a T500 and when driving around any course , the most rotation required would be no greater than 360 degrees total , thats 180 left and right. Any more and you're just scrubbing the tyres. Generally its 90 degrees each way for a total of 180. If I need to make a U turn , then I use more of the wheels rotation.

You really have been emotionally damaged by this wheel haven't you darling.

I really want the option to change the steering degrees on my G27. It would help when drifting and recovering from mistakes or spins.

Controller sensitivity dose effect wheel users as well it's quite noticeable if you actually try it ! And with the t500 you can adjust the amount of rotation. Most people I have spoken to run it between 1000-1050°. this also effects the sensitivity

Well its interesting to try about sensitivity setting, although it was meant to be for pad users.

And how would you adjust the T500 rotation in GT5?

Are you still going on about this ?

I use a T500 and when driving around any course , the most rotation required would be no greater than 360 degrees total , thats 180 left and right. Any more and you're just scrubbing the tyres. Generally its 90 degrees each way for a total of 180. If I need to make a U turn , then I use more of the wheels rotation.

You really have been emotionally damaged by this wheel haven't you darling.
Maybe you are when my wheel is more than what you can afford , dont worry about it if your only turning 180 on the t500rs on tight corners then that means your not going fast enough , your no where near on scrubbing your tyres on the F1 car or you don't have the wheel.
Watch F1 for once at least , they never cross arms on any corner. 180-210 left or right and 360-420 as a whole , t500rs has more than double that. ofcourse you can do the same but your already too slow if you had t500rs
T500rs is pretty solid wheel but completely useless for F1.

Well its interesting to try about sensitivity setting, although it was meant to be for pad users.

And how would you adjust the T500 rotation in GT5?
you cant adjust the t500 in gt5.

I will try the controller sensitivity again , My t500rs is already packed up on the box and ready to return :P if that doesn't work then its a no choice but csr elite..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes indeed, I've always resisted getting a 900 degree wheel
because of the issues raised in the o.p.

I'm very happy with my basic, 200 degree Driving Force EX 👍

Works with PS2 and PC too

I own a fanatec GT2 and yo can adjust the sensibility, on race cars I use 540° (or less on formula cars or kart) with 20 in linearity (if there is no linearity the wheel is too reactive), and 900° or sen off on road cars

With this trick it much more fun to drive race car

On GT5 fanatec is the only choice if you want to adjust your steering sensibility

T500rs is official GT5 wheel and you cant adjust the steering degrees in GT5.

CSR Elite is official Forza wheel and you can adjust not just steering degrees but other steering settings too straight on the wheel buttons.

Adjusting steering degrees is the biggest feature a wheel needs and T500rs official GT5 wheel doesnt have it for GT5.

I really liked T500rs' smoothness and accuracy , its excellent but the steering is useless for the F1 car in GT5 since the steering is unchangeable at 1080 (540 each left or right) and real F1 steering has 360-420 (180-210 each left or right) , the F1 car cannot be driven fast and on oversteer slide , even if your hands are as quick as they can be , the steering is just too long and slow , you wont be able to save or correct the oversteer slide. On tight tracks or corners , steering is not fast enough , you need to cross arms which is impossible to do with the given time at F1 speeds on tight corners.The f1 wheel or t500rs f1 wheel is not designed for crossing arms because it is not round. Single seater drivers never cross arms because the steering is always set to maximum at around 180-210 from centre to left or right. No matter how good the quality the wheel has , nothing works without the realistic steering

My G27 has pretty fast steering input, how ever I wish you could adjust it, becasue I want quicker steering for Karts, F1, etc.

I want a proper Clutch first..

F1 steering doesn't go past what your hands can reach, but F1 steering also won't allow you to turn around within the width of a road without doing a flick-spin or a 5-point turn. I'm not sure my road car can even turn as sharp as maximum lock in GT5. Both thing should really be adjustable however.

Morgoth_666
F1 steering doesn't go past what your hands can reach, but F1 steering also won't allow you to turn around within the width of a road without doing a flick-spin or a 5-point turn. I'm not sure my road car can even turn as sharp as maximum lock in GT5.

Regardless of how much lock a F1 car can produce, it should go from lock to lock in less than 900 degrees.
That's what the op is complaining about.

Regardless of how much lock a F1 car can produce, it should go from lock to lock in less than 900 degrees.
That's what the op is complaining about.

I clicked submit before I meant to, you beat my ninja edit. :)

I do understand the frustration with it, but at least with 900 degrees you can turn as sharp as they can without letting go - though with 1080 I can see how it might not be quite enough. Going further is a bit unrealistic but can be useful with the way GT5 works, especially with tire wear off.

But being able to adjust both things is something that really should be automatic for games and wheels by now. I was completely and forever spoiled by the adjustments on my GT3 in approximately 5 seconds. Can't imagine living without them now.

Back