GT5 Steering Adjustability (Must read for all wheel and future owners)

• Thread starter G12
  • 136 comments
G12
I found after buying that the official GT5 wheel T500rs is unable to adjust any steering settings in GT5 , that's the only problem I found and that for me is the biggest problem.karts and Real Racing Cars like F1,LMP,GT and even WRC have a small steering which gives them quicker turning and they never cross arms , those race cars also require a very quick countersteer and its miserable when the steering is not fast and it does not matter how fast your hands are for the F1 , the steering is just too big and long. The t500rs is far from the steering you would need for a race car to be driven fast on tight circuits let alone tight corners that are in every circuit.

I found Fanatec CSR elite is the opposite , you can adjust steering settings and I remembered fanatec is mainly Xbox. Im probably going to have to return the t500rs for now and plan on waiting if there will be an update or plan on buying CSR elite.

How can the official GT5 wheel not have the most important steering setting when the official forza CSR elite wheel has it in GT5

T500rs is official GT5 wheel and you cant adjust the steering degrees in GT5.

CSR Elite is official Forza wheel and you can adjust not just steering degrees but other steering settings too straight on the wheel buttons.

Adjusting steering degrees is the biggest feature a wheel needs and T500rs official GT5 wheel doesnt have it for GT5.

"I really liked T500rs' smoothness and accuracy , its excellent but the steering is useless for the F1 car in GT5 since the steering is unchangeable at 1080 (540 each left or right) and real F1 steering has 360-420 (180-210 each left or right) , the F1 car cannot be driven fast and on oversteer slide , even if your hands are as quick as they can be , the steering is just too long and slow , you wont be able to save or correct the oversteer slide. On tight tracks or corners , steering is not fast enough , you need to cross arms which is impossible to do with the given time at F1 speeds on tight corners.The f1 wheel or t500rs f1 wheel is not designed for crossing arms because it is not round. Single seater drivers never cross arms because the steering is always set to maximum at around 180-210 from centre to left or right. No matter how good the quality the wheel has , nothing works without the realistic steering"

Will GT5 ever have steering settings (degrees/radius) for supported and official wheels. I've tried searching and it seems there are no plans for this.. No choice but to wait and see

It might just be me but in a recent update, at least for the DFGT, when you are driving a car that only has 540 degrees of steering wheel rotation (rally cars for example), your 900 degree wheel will stop at 540 degrees. I guess PD forgot to implement that feature for 1080 degree wheel users.

Steering sensitivity works on my G27, have it on 2 mostly but move it higher if needed for F1 etc, made the mistake of not changing it a while ago when changing back to my LFA on the nurb, it was un drivable on the higher setting.

I clicked submit before I meant to, you beat my ninja edit. :)

I do understand the frustration with it, but at least with 900 degrees you can turn as sharp as they can without letting go - though with 1080 I can see how it might not be quite enough. Going further is a bit unrealistic but can be useful with the way GT5 works, especially with tire wear off.

But being able to adjust both things is something that really should be automatic for games and wheels by now. I was completely and forever spoiled by the adjustments on my GT3 in approximately 5 seconds. Can't imagine living without them now.
You only use the full (180-210)right or left turn on chicanes or hairpins , you dont actually use full turns for corners that aren't very tight. If you watch F1 for once then you would know this that an F1 car has a total lock of (360-420) from leftmost to rightmost. To get to the car's limit with the given time requires quick and fast steering because if you try and cross your
arms then by the time you do cross your arms , you've already hit the wall or grass. If your not crossing your arms with anything over 420 like the t500rs which has 1080, no matter how quick your hands are , you wont make it with the given time and speed you carry on the limit of grip therefor you go to the wall or grass. For oversteer slides , F1 requires fast steering and with t500rs no matter how fast your hands can be , your countersteer will never be fast enough therefor you will loose saving the car or simply not being
able to correct the car. You would know all this if you watch F1 for once.. My F1 wheel is also styled like real F1 wheel rim which is designed like a rectangle not a circle because of the fast steering required and never needing crossing arms.

Steering sensitivity works on my G27, have it on 2 mostly but move it higher if needed for F1 etc, made the mistake of not changing it a while ago when changing back to my LFA on the nurb, it was un drivable on the higher setting.
Controller steering sensitivity does not work for wheels. Your G27 automatically adjusts specific steering degrees on different cars.

It might just be me but in a recent update, at least for the DFGT, when you are driving a car that only has 540 degrees of steering wheel rotation (rally cars for example), your 900 degree wheel will stop at 540 degrees. I guess PD forgot to implement that feature for 1080 degree wheel users.
DFGT and G27 has that feature implemented

T500rs doesn't.

Last edited:
G12
DFGT and G27 has that feature implemented

T500rs doesn't.

That's a shame. Is it because PD forgot to implement that feature for the T500 RS or is it because the T500 RS doesn't have physical hardware implemented into the wheel itself that allows less wheel rotation?

G12
Controller steering sensitivity does not work for wheels. Your G27 automatically adjusts specific steering degrees on different cars.

Thats strange, just tried it and it does increase the amount the wheels turn in comparison the steering wheel, the effect is quite dramatic. This is confirmed by my other half who has his own G27, not saying you are wrong but others should try this and post their results.

I've never had any problem with 900 degrees, karts, f1, various racing cars, rally cars and road cars it has never felt too slow.

Haven't tried controller sensitivity and don't know if it changes by itself with rally cars etc like others here have said.

Why am I posting even then... don't know. I apologise.

Thats strange, just tried it and it does increase the amount the wheels turn in comparison the steering wheel, the effect is quite dramatic. This is confirmed by my other half who has his own G27, not saying you are wrong but others should try this and post their results.

Although I have a DFGT instead of a G27, I can confirm everything said in this post.

G12
You only use the full (180-210)right or left turn on chicanes or hairpins , you dont actually use full turns for corners that aren't very tight. If you watch F1 for once then you would know this that an F1 car has a total lock of (360-420) from leftmost to rightmost. To get to the car's limit with the given time requires quick and fast steering because if you try and cross your arms then by the time you do cross your arms , you've already hit the wall or grass. If your not crossing your arms with anything over 420 like the t500rs which has 1080, no matter how quick your hands are , you wont make it with the given time and speed you carry on the limit of grip therefor you go to the wall or grass. For oversteer slides , F1 requires fast steering and with t500rs no matter how fast your hands can be , your countersteer will never be fast enough therefor you will loose saving the car or simply not being
able to correct the car. You would know all this if you watch F1 for once..

Well, as someone who has never watched F1, I apparently also don't know that with the driver turning the steering wheel as far as it can go, the cars as prepared for any other racetrack are not even capable of turning the front wheels sharply enough to simply drive around the tightest hairpin at Monte Carlo and that they require special modifications to do so. But in GT5 by turning the wheel as far as it goes you can turn the front wheels much tighter than what they are capable of even at Monte Carlo.

I suspect this may be an issue with a 1080 turning radius that doesn't actually present itself with 900 degree wheels. With 900 I have to use very nearly but not quite all of what I can reach without crossing my arms to get around those tightest corners, at 1080 you might not be able to do it. If that's the case then it can surely be a problem in those few corners.

Of course, GT5 seems to allow you to gain advantage by using the full rotation in some situations(though it seems that should destroy your tires very quickly as well), but that makes it an issue when competing with others in GT5 rather than an issue with real world accuracy.

I still maintain the opinion that this is something that future generations of hardware and software need to address as one of the parts of their basic "must-have" checklist.

EDIT: Controller steering sensitivity does seem to affect my GT3 as well. This could easily be a part of the issue.

EDIT: Controller steering sensitivity does seem to affect my GT3 as well. This could easily be a part of the issue.

That is not supposed to happen. I think Gran Turismo 5 thinks you are using a controller.

That is not supposed to happen. I think Gran Turismo 5 thinks you are using a controller.

I hardly ever change it anyway. I had thought it didn't do anything for a while, then I thought I did notice a difference a while back. I just went back to test it and I can't detect anything, so now I'm back to thinking it doesn't do anything. :)

Well, as someone who has never watched F1, I apparently also don't know that with the driver turning the steering wheel as far as it can go, the cars as prepared for any other racetrack are not even capable of turning the front wheels sharply enough to simply drive around the tightest hairpin at Monte Carlo and that they require special modifications to do so. But in GT5 by turning the wheel as far as it goes you can turn the front wheels much tighter than what they are capable of even at Monte Carlo.

I suspect this may be an issue with a 1080 turning radius that doesn't actually present itself with 900 degree wheels. With 900 I have to use very nearly but not quite all of what I can reach without crossing my arms to get around those tightest corners, at 1080 you might not be able to do it. If that's the case then it can surely be a problem in those few corners.

Of course, GT5 seems to allow you to gain advantage by using the full rotation in some situations(though it seems that should destroy your tires very quickly as well), but that makes it an issue when competing with others in GT5 rather than an issue with real world accuracy.

I still maintain the opinion that this is something that future generations of hardware and software need to address as one of the parts of their basic "must-have" checklist.

turning without crossing arms on a hairpin at monaco with 1080 or 900 is again no where near the f1's limit , ofcourse you got the car through the corner but slow and not fast and ofcourse you might think your fast but thats because an F1 car is already faster than any other car without being on its limit. Need to watch F1 for once before you start talking about "destroying your tyres" ofcourse you can save front tyres going slower and turning less but when your no where near its limit , then your no where near of even the safety car, you are only near being last. Oversteer slides on F1 car also require fast steering. That is why F1 wheel is never designed for crossing arms and above all F1 with the given time and speed on the given corner never has crossing of arms because its the fastest way for a fast lap. If F1 steering was ever designed to have crossing arms or 900 or 1080 then the car will probably finish last or crash but I dont see that ever happening. You should also remember the F1 steering has 360-420 anything higher can slow down cornering not 900 or 1080. If you still dont get F1 steering then watch F1 onboard for once.

G12
turning without crossing arms on a hairpin at monaco with 1080 or 900 is again no where near the f1's limit , ofcourse you got the car through the corner but slow and not fast and ofcourse you might think your fast but thats because an F1 car is already faster than any other car without being on its limit. Need to watch F1 for once before you start talking about "destroying your tyres" ofcourse you can save front tyres going slower and turning less but when your no where near its limit , then your no where near of even the safety car, you are only near being last. Oversteer slides on F1 car also require fast steering. That is why F1 wheel is never designed for crossing arms and above all F1 with the given time and speed on the given corner never has crossing of arms because its the fastest way for a fast lap. If F1 steering was ever designed to have crossing arms or 900 or 1080 then the car will probably finish last or crash but I dont see that ever happening. You should also remember the F1 steering has 360-420 anything higher can slow down cornering not 900 or 1080. If you still dont get F1 steering then watch F1 onboard for once.

That's why for racing cars it's better to have less steering lock and faster steering. I agree with everything said in this post.

Giving wheel user an adjustable rotation would help us compete with DS3 users who go lock to lock in about 1 inch. When things get messy the DS3 user will win the battle every time.

Giving wheel user an adjustable rotation would help us compete with DS3 users who go lock to lock in about 1 inch. When things get messy the DS3 user will win the battle every time.
thats correct ive raced with ds3 users that drive very fast and there are very fast ds3 users just as quick as anybody else but also good ds3 users will have an easier time than good wheel users.

That's why you'll find that the leaderboards for Drift Trials are often dominated by DS3 users. It takes a lot more skill to drift as well with a wheel than with a controller. That said, just about any wheel user can be better than a DS3 user in terms of drifting.

Never upgraded from driving force Pro wheel.
Has Manual over ride to turn 900 mode back to 200 mode ( arcade mode ) being the official GT4 wheel it is still supported.

I use always 900 degree mode in my Fanatec wheel. There is no need to adjust because GT5 has been designed for 900 degree wheels and even F1 cars won't feel wrong.

I use always 900 degree mode in my Fanatec wheel. There is no need to adjust because GT5 has been designed for 900 degree wheels and even F1 cars won't feel wrong.
it will feel slow and wrong , you cant drive an F1 fast with long and slow 900 or 1080 steering which is roadcar steering. It may feel right and fast for people because an F1 car is already faster than any other car even when its not driven at fastest. If you read my post my suggestion is that if you think driving the F1 with 900 or 1080 feels right or feels at fastest then you dont know F1 because anything higher than 360-420 degrees full steering total will slow down cornering like my post says , you should read this or atleast watch F1 for once.
G12
if your using 900 degrees on all the time , it may feel right for you but it is 100% wrong for an F1 car all the time weather its performance or feeling simulation.

G12
it will feel slow and wrong , you cant drive an F1 fast with long and slow 900 or 1080 steering which is roadcar steering.

I never use more than 360 degrees of the 900 when I am driving F1 car in GT5. Game compensates this automatically.

If you stopped completely in a F1 car, you'd find that the wheels will continue to turn as you turn the steering wheel to full lock.

Game compensates this automatically.

Yes 👍

Steering angles for every car are determined by the game.

I happen to have Fanatec CSRE wheel and theoretically I can change steering degree for every car. I have tried that and it resulted with totally akward behaviour and it messed up everything.

I am using OFF setting for the steering degree, where OFF uses game-default values and everything works as a charm.

If you stopped completely in a F1 car, you'd find that the wheels will continue to turn as you turn the steering wheel to full lock.

I noticed that too. But if no F1 car that I have heard of has 900 degree steering, then why doesn't it lock at 360 degrees?

Because PD.

Because PD cannot be bothered to do it properly? Because they cannot be bothered to make the official wheel of Gran Turismo 5 work properly with all the cars in the game? In my opinion that's just lazy.

It seems that PD has "compensated" for the larger steering angles. Question is, when you turn the wheel to full lock, do the wheels turn more than they would on the real car (meaning you would never have to turn it to full lock to use it as it would be used in reality) or do the wheels only turn as far as they can on the real car, meaning you need to turn the wheel more than in reality?

I suspect it's the first, but I haven't tested it...

I've only read the OP so if someone has already said this then sorry!

I own a T500 RS and wear the wheel will lock CAN change depending on the car.
X2010/X2011/Ferrari F1: all lock at about 180-200. The wheel can turn more but it is much harder to do so. This also is the case for other cars. Most supercars lock about 90 before the wheel locks.
Cheers,

It seems that PD has "compensated" for the larger steering angles. Question is, when you turn the wheel to full lock, do the wheels turn more than they would on the real car (meaning you would never have to turn it to full lock to use it as it would be used in reality) or do the wheels only turn as far as they can on the real car, meaning you need to turn the wheel more than in reality?

I suspect it's the first, but I haven't tested it...

I don't really understand what you said in this post.

I don't really understand what you said in this post.

Sorry, might not be making sense :P

I'll try and explain it another way. Let's say a car can turn it's wheel (the one with the tyre on) 40 degrees to each side, by turning the wheel (the one with your hands on) 200 degrees to each side. (purely fictional numbers for the sake of this explanation)

Now, we want to recreate this car in-game. But, our steering wheel in-game can turn 450 degrees to each side. How do we emulate the real car?

One option would be to allow the wheels (on the tarmac) to be turned to 90 degrees when the wheel (in your lap) is turned 450 degrees. This would mean that at 200 degrees, they would be turned 40 degrees. Result: you need to turn the steering wheel as much in-game as you would out-of-game. But, you can turn it farther, creating unrealistic situations.

Another option would be to limit the wheels to 40 degrees for full-lock on your steering wheel. This means you can't make "unrealistic" turns, but, it also means you have to turn the steering wheel much more....

The third (and in my opinion best) option, would be to limit both the steering angle of the steering-wheel as well as the steering angles of the wheels to their realistic values. So, you could only turn the steering-wheel 200 degrees to each side, resulting in 40 degrees on the ground. Turning further would be stopped via the FFB motor.

Unfortunately, I don't think the third option is used in GT5 (never noticed it at least) and based on my experience with the DFGT I think they use option 1. Though I'm not at all sure.

Of course, maybe I'm completely wrong alltogether :P

Back