GT5 Steering Adjustability (Must read for all wheel and future owners)

• Thread starter G12
  • 136 comments
Sorry, might not be making sense :P

I'll try and explain it another way. Let's say a car can turn it's wheel (the one with the tyre on) 40 degrees to each side, by turning the wheel (the one with your hands on) 200 degrees to each side. (purely fictional numbers for the sake of this explanation)

Now, we want to recreate this car in-game. But, our steering wheel in-game can turn 450 degrees to each side. How do we emulate the real car?

One option would be to allow the wheels (on the tarmac) to be turned to 90 degrees when the wheel (in your lap) is turned 450 degrees. This would mean that at 200 degrees, they would be turned 40 degrees. Result: you need to turn the steering wheel as much in-game as you would out-of-game. But, you can turn it farther, creating unrealistic situations.

Another option would be to limit the wheels to 40 degrees for full-lock on your steering wheel. This means you can't make "unrealistic" turns, but, it also means you have to turn the steering wheel much more....

The third (and in my opinion best) option, would be to limit both the steering angle of the steering-wheel as well as the steering angles of the wheels to their realistic values. So, you could only turn the steering-wheel 200 degrees to each side, resulting in 40 degrees on the ground. Turning further would be stopped via the FFB motor.

Unfortunately, I don't think the third option is used in GT5 (never noticed it at least) and based on my experience with the DFGT I think they use option 1. Though I'm not at all sure.

Of course, maybe I'm completely wrong alltogether :P

I understand it a little bit better now 👍 .

Hey! That's my way of writing that!

\o/ /o\

DFP FTW.

Select + R3 + right paddle = 200deg mode.

Oh and select + R3 + left paddle turns down FFB strength.

Those were the days, right? You got to love the DFP for having two hard-lock settings. Having the 200 degree mode also gets around this steering adjustability problem if you are driving a car that has around 200-360 degree steering. I'd say that the DFP would be perfect if it had a PS button, a bigger wheel rim and a much faster turning speed :) .

I've only read the OP so if someone has already said this then sorry!

I own a T500 RS and wear the wheel will lock CAN change depending on the car.
X2010/X2011/Ferrari F1: all lock at about 180-200. The wheel can turn more but it is much harder to do so. This also is the case for other cars. Most supercars lock about 90 before the wheel locks.
Cheers,
You haven't tried the Ferrari F1 F10 , it has 1080 full steering lock that means 540 per turn but the real F1 steering or the correct F1 steering must have 360-400 total lock which means 180-200 per turn. F1 doesn't auto adjust.

G12
You haven't tried the Ferrari F1 F10 , it has 1080 full steering lock that means 540 per turn but the real F1 steering or the correct F1 steering must have 360-400 total lock which means 180-200 per turn. F1 doesn't auto adjust.

It does. Trust me!

Hey! That's my way of writing that!

\o/ /o\

Those were the days, right? You got to love the DFP for having two hard-lock settings. Having the 200 degree mode also gets around this steering adjustability problem if you are driving a car that has around 200-360 degree steering. I'd say that the DFP would be perfect if it had a PS button, a bigger wheel rim and a much faster turning speed :) .

And a good set of pedals.👍 As my first wheel DFP has a special place in my heart but it is far from a perfect wheel.

G12
Correct, that option doesn't work for wheels. If there's ever an update for supported and official then it has to be in degrees too

Exactly. Degree configuration option is a MUST for a so nice driving game that officially supports so many wheels! 👍

And a good set of pedals.👍 As my first wheel DFP has a special place in my heart but it is far from a perfect wheel.

I think the biggest let down for both the DFP and the DFGT is the pedals, especially the gas pedal. Why don't I say the brake is the biggest let down? The brake is fine compared to the gas pedal. At least on my wheel, the gas pedal twitches and I always end up accelerating when I don't want to. The only way to sort this out is to plug out the wheel from the mains for a couple of minutes and then plug it back in so the wheel can recalibrate.

Thats strange, just tried it and it does increase the amount the wheels turn in comparison the steering wheel, the effect is quite dramatic. This is confirmed by my other half who has his own G27, not saying you are wrong but others should try this and post their results.

TRUE. Adjusting steering sensitivity DOES effect steering.

That is not supposed to happen. I think Gran Turismo 5 thinks you are using a controller.

I don't know what it thinks but I have been using a G27 since september of 2011 and was current on my game updates and still am up to date but adjusting the sensitivity DOES work and always has. I adjust it for everything I am driving.

I hardly ever change it anyway. I had thought it didn't do anything for a while, then I thought I did notice a difference a while back. I just went back to test it and I can't detect anything, so now I'm back to thinking it doesn't do anything. :)

Read below

Giving wheel user an adjustable rotation would help us compete with DS3 users who go lock to lock in about 1 inch. When things get messy the DS3 user will win the battle every time.

This is the way for you guys to be able to see that changing the steering sensitivity effects tires turning. the lower the number or negative and the slower the steering ratio is, and the higher the number or max 7 is the highest steering ratio.

Get a premium car or FGT or Ferrari formula and try to drive it with say 0 sensitivity or better yet try it with negative 2. use in car view where you can see the drivers hands on the wheel, Make a lap of your choice of track with it on negative 2 then stop on the track and take notice of how far the wheel on the screen turns compared to you turning it 90 degrees left and right with your hands.

THEN turn the sensitivity up to 7. make a lap for the new feel and then stop and turn your wheel 90 degrees left and right and see how it matches to the wheel on the screen. it makes a difference. I use low steering sensitivity for drift, about 3 or 4 for most other cars, and formulas and go karts I use 7.

Oh that is good news. Haven't played for ages but knowing the lock can be adjusted is great.

TRUE. Adjusting steering sensitivity DOES effect steering.

This is the way for you guys to be able to see that changing the steering sensitivity effects tires turning. the lower the number or negative and the slower the steering ratio is, and the higher the number or max 7 is the highest steering ratio.

Get a premium car or FGT or Ferrari formula and try to drive it with say 0 sensitivity or better yet try it with negative 2. use in car view where you can see the drivers hands on the wheel, Make a lap of your choice of track with it on negative 2 then stop on the track and take notice of how far the wheel on the screen turns compared to you turning it 90 degrees left and right with your hands.

THEN turn the sensitivity up to 7. make a lap for the new feel and then stop and turn your wheel 90 degrees left and right and see how it matches to the wheel on the screen. it makes a difference. I use low steering sensitivity for drift, about 3 or 4 for most other cars, and formulas and go karts I use 7.

Thanks for this write-up. You are talking about controller sensitivity, the one that shows up when you push "select", right? I've tried that a dozen times, doesn't do it for me.

I had a DFP and have now a G27, and
  • the 900° issue (non-adjustability)
  • together with GT5's Force Feedback (wheel is not turning "against drift angle" (like it DOES IRL due to caster angle and also in properly designed Force Feedback like LFS or rFactor real feel))
  • plus the slight lack of inertia around the vertical car axis in GT4 and GT5 physics
are really getting on my nerves.

Since the G27 HAS a 200° mode (that iniciates automatically in some of my games) I've always been searching the net for a button combination to trigger it (DFP-ish) but without success so far.

P.S.: Please refrain from making "you should've bought a Fanatec" comments, I would have done that, but in the country where I reside ATM it's impossible to order one. G27 was the only option and I definitely have to stick with it for budget reasons.

Last edited:
Steering senstivity doesn't work for T500 just tried it before and I tried it again just now nor did it work for my DFGT, controler steering sensitivity never worked and never will because 1st it says controller steering sensitivity and 2nd the scale of -2 to 7 is not good for a future setting for wheel.

And remember this thread is about t500 steering angle/degrees for F1 and not sensitivity because there's no such thing as sensitivity option for wheel , sensitivity of using and turning a wheel comes from toe in and toe out.

Last edited:
Sorry, might not be making sense :P

I'll try and explain it another way. Let's say a car can turn it's wheel (the one with the tyre on) 40 degrees to each side, by turning the wheel (the one with your hands on) 200 degrees to each side. (purely fictional numbers for the sake of this explanation)

Now, we want to recreate this car in-game. But, our steering wheel in-game can turn 450 degrees to each side. How do we emulate the real car?

One option would be to allow the wheels (on the tarmac) to be turned to 90 degrees when the wheel (in your lap) is turned 450 degrees. This would mean that at 200 degrees, they would be turned 40 degrees. Result: you need to turn the steering wheel as much in-game as you would out-of-game. But, you can turn it farther, creating unrealistic situations.

Another option would be to limit the wheels to 40 degrees for full-lock on your steering wheel. This means you can't make "unrealistic" turns, but, it also means you have to turn the steering wheel much more....

The third (and in my opinion best) option, would be to limit both the steering angle of the steering-wheel as well as the steering angles of the wheels to their realistic values. So, you could only turn the steering-wheel 200 degrees to each side, resulting in 40 degrees on the ground. Turning further would be stopped via the FFB motor.

Unfortunately, I don't think the third option is used in GT5 (never noticed it at least) and based on my experience with the DFGT I think they use option 1. Though I'm not at all sure.

Of course, maybe I'm completely wrong alltogether :P

Thank you for posting that so clearly. I would agree that option 3 would be the best if possible, but GT5 seems to only use the first method - at least with my GT3.

I was trying to say essentially the same thing but apparently it didn't come across very clearly. And I probably confused the issue by trying to explain that F1 cars can't turn the wheels (the ones with the tires on them) nearly as sharp as street cars in the same argument.

Sorry, I just want to bring that up one more time:

Since the G27 HAS a 200° mode (that iniciates automatically in some of my games) I've always been searching the net for a button combination to trigger it (DFP-ish) but without success so far.

Did anyone ever hear of a button combination, a hack or a workaraound to access the digital 200° mode of the G27 in GT5?

Thanks for this write-up. You are talking about controller sensitivity, the one that shows up when you push "select", right? I've tried that a dozen times, doesn't do it for me.

[*]together with GT5's Force Feedback (wheel is not turning "against drift angle" (like it DOES IRL due to caster angle and also in properly designed Force Feedback like LFS or rFactor real feel))

controller sensitivity in driving options while online or while in the event or practice offline.

I can feel a definite difference and can visually see the wheel on the screen match my wheel. it doesn't set a lock if thats what people want it to do but it makes the steering ratio fast enough to not need to turn more than 90 degrees right or left for racing purposes UNLESS you lose the back end and have to massively countersteer. with drifting I go lock to lock with it on negative 1 sensitivity

also with your comment about the wheel not turning against the drift angle try going in the options screen in gt5, go to wheel setting and give it a try with it set to simulation, steering assist or power steering whatever it's called turned off and force feedback level set between 8 and 10.

ALSO
I was told early the way to calibrate the wheel is to plug it into the ps3 while the system is turned off, then turn on the ps3, it will spin the wheel and calibrate, then when you start gt5 it will calibrate again. it made a big difference back before the g27 was added to gt5 but it was stayed my ritual ever since, may give that a try.

Did anyone ever hear of a button combination, a hack or a workaraound to access the digital 200° mode of the G27 in GT5?

Not every game supports 900 degrees, that might be the reason for your wheel going to 200 degrees on the other games.

A really, really long and complicated post alert! I don't think anyone else can top this for the complicated-ness of this post :ouch: . Sorry for making this post so long, but it's the only way I can explain.

As other people have said, not every game supports 900 degrees so the wheel will automatically use the largest amount of steering angle allocated by the game. There are also a few games on the console and almost every PC sim racing game I can think of that let you choose how many degrees your wheel will turn lock to lock.

If you choose a steering angle that is less than 900 degrees (in the case of using a 900 degree steering wheel), then it's not a hard-lock, it would be a soft-lock if you know what I mean. A hard-lock on a force feedback wheel is where the wheel is restrained by a physical barrier inside the steering wheel itself; you cannot turn the wheel any more without breaking it. A soft-lock is where the wheel is not physically restrained by a barrier, but by the force feedback motor. When you reach this soft-lock, the force feedback motor will push back as hard as it can to get back within the 540 degree steering wheel range. I think that's what you are talking about with the 200 degree mode on your G27. If you do not understand what I am saying here, then look at photos of steering wheel internals then it will all make sense to you.

If for example you set the steering angle to be 540 degrees because you are doing a rally and you turn the wheel where the steering lock should be, you can find that you could turn the wheel further all the way to it's normal lock, but it's harder because the force feedback motor is trying to restrict you. These are the two types of lock on a force feedback steering wheel.

Now what people were saying about the Driving Force Pro, that steering wheel actually has and probably is the only wheel that has two "hard-locks" which can be activated by pressing a certain combination of buttons on the wheel. Pressing these buttons will switch the hard-lock between the full 900 degrees to 200 degrees. Changing the hard-lock will also change the calibration of the steering wheel inputs. And since the passing of the DFP, I haven't seen another FFB steering wheel to date that has two hard-locks that can be switched manually on the wheel, which is a shame really.

Although I don't own a DFP, I think it automatically changes to the 200 degree mode from the 900 degree mode if you are playing a game that doesn't support the full 900 degrees that it is capable of. And no, there isn't a hack you can do to the game nor the G27 to get 200 degrees on the wheel while playing Gran Turismo 5. If I am wrong, then please post a video of you playing Gran Turismo 5 with a G27 on the 200 degree hack. Thank you.

Last edited:
^^ MSTER232

Well, thanks for the giant post. Everything oyu write is perfectly understandable and nothing new to me. I wasn't requesting info regarding the 200° mode, though, I know WHAT it is and how it differs from the DFP, I've got both wheels (although the DFP not here with me, it's on another continent).

And no, there isn't a hack you can do to the game nor the G27 to get 200 degrees on the wheel while playing Gran Turismo 5.

The simple fact that you do not know about any hack that makes the G27 go into its 200° mode while playin GT5 doesn't prove there is none, though. How do you know there is none? If the G27 can trigger its 200° mode itself, then there IS also a way to make it go into that mode in GT5. The question is maybe: Can it be done by someone like me or does it require a mad scientist with a soldering iron?

Even if it hasn't been done so far that doesn't prove it's impossible.

Not every game supports 900 degrees, that might be the reason for your wheel going to 200 degrees on the other games.

^^JAV Yes, of course. And it also starts in 200° mode in LFS, unless you set the wheel up to 900° in the Logitech Wingman profiler.

controller sensitivity in driving options while online or while in the event or practice offline.

I can feel a definite difference and can visually see the wheel on the screen match my wheel. it doesn't set a lock if thats what people want it to do but it makes the steering ratio fast enough to not need to turn more than 90 degrees right or left for racing purposes UNLESS you lose the back end and have to massively countersteer. with drifting I go lock to lock with it on negative 1 sensitivity

also with your comment about the wheel not turning against the drift angle try going in the options screen in gt5, go to wheel setting and give it a try with it set to simulation, steering assist or power steering whatever it's called turned off and force feedback level set between 8 and 10.

ALSO
I was told early the way to calibrate the wheel is to plug it into the ps3 while the system is turned off, then turn on the ps3, it will spin the wheel and calibrate, then when you start gt5 it will calibrate again. it made a big difference back before the g27 was added to gt5 but it was stayed my ritual ever since, may give that a try.

^^ mikeonthebike
Look, I'm gonna give this a go again as soon as I can, but seriously: I've tried all these settings so many times with no significant result, I have a hard time believing this. Think I haven't d-loaded the latest update yet, too.

Last edited:
^^JAV Yes, of course. And it also starts in 200° mode in LFS, unless you set the wheel up to 900° in the Logitech Wingman profiler.

That's not the game tough, that's the default setting for the wheel wich like you said you need to correct on the profiler. And now that you bring it up, maybe you'd want to look arround and see if there's some kind of firmware that would limit the wheel to 200 degrees at all times...

^^ MSTER232

Well, thanks for the giant post. Everything oyu write is perfectly understandable and nothing new to me. I wasn't requesting info regarding the 200° mode, though, I know WHAT it is and how it differs from the DFP, I've got both wheels (although the DFP not here with me, it's on another continent).

The simple fact that you do not know about any hack that makes the G27 go into its 200° mode while playin GT5 doesn't prove there is none, though. How do you know there is none? If the G27 can trigger its 200° mode itself, then there IS also a way to make it go into that mode in GT5. The question is maybe: Can it be done by someone like me or does it require a mad scientist with a soldering iron?

Even if it hasn't been done so far that doesn't prove it's impossible.

Just so we can make this clear, are you saying that the G27 has two hard-locks, one for 900 degree mode and the other for 200 degrees? Or are you talking about a soft-lock which is determined on the game, or if the game supports a wheel but not the full turning angle?

EDIT:

Are you saying that adjusting the controller sensitivity affects steering wheels too? I think they need to call it steering wheel sensitivity if that's the case. And for racing, I'd like to be able to cross arms when turning at times. It keeps me awake instead of being able to do every single corner by barely turning the steering wheel.

Last edited:
^^ mikeonthebike
Look, I'm gonna give this a go again as soon as I can, but seriously: I've tried all these settings so many times with no significant result, I have a hard time believing this. Think I haven't d-loaded the latest update yet, too.

Well I can positively say it makes a difference.

Another thought here is that I ALWAYS run with a ps3 ds3 remote set to controller 1 by pressing the ps button and changing it to controller 1 to have my ebrake rig running also.

Somebody once said that it's due to the controller being on control 1 allowing that sensitivity feature to still work but applying it to the wheel. Ill give it a test here later on and see if it makes a difference either way with having my ds3 remote on control 1 or not.

Here's a link to a thread in the drifting forum where they are talking about the same thing. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=248384

For some reasons i think G12 got a problem with a belt-driven wheel. DFGT & G27 aren't. For me it was a very big difference. At first it seems to smooth at all so i don't got a feeling on steering and how much. Its the same when you change from potentiometer to load Cell in Pedals. Your brain needs a bit, but if you don't offer some hours never gets comfortable with it.I had some terrible first days, specially when some pad****** beat my ass till poo comes out. 50€ equipment vs 370€ -.-'

You can change almost everything, when its plugged into a PC. I did change my rotation from 900° to 1080° and set DF to 100% now the "arms of the driver" moves like mine.
Seemed to have a reaction on PS3/GT5 ?!
Maybe i imagine it wrong??

Maybe the OP should write directly to Thrustmasters, I'm pretty sure that if enough people complaint about it they can come up with a solution to make the adjustments trough the PC work on the PS3.

Just so we can make this clear, are you saying that the G27 has two hard-locks, one for 900 degree mode and the other for 200 degrees? Or are you talking about a soft-lock which is determined on the game, or if the game supports a wheel but not the full turning angle?

It's what you call a "soft-lock", but it's definitely those two modes.

Jav
Maybe the OP should write directly to Thrustmasters, I'm pretty sure that if enough people complaint about it they can come up with a solution to make the adjustments trough the PC work on the PS3.
Thrustmaster told me that the adjustment fix for steering degrees can only be done by GT5 Developer. I tried telling them to help suggest the problem to The"GT5 Developer" but they said again that its GT5 developer, I dont understand why they cant tell the GT5 developer. Im returning my wheel anyway , t500rs would have been perfect with its anti wear technology. The steering felt excellent but With the wrong 1080 steering degrees with an F1 wheel rim and let alone an F1 car, will never work for me and will never simulate F1 feel or F1 performance.

The wheel has been out for a year and if the "GT5 Developer" cant fix the steering degrees on specific car like F1 then I doubt it will ever get fixed in the future. Thrustmaster cant even suggest the "GT5 Developer" to make the product right.

I am planning on buying CSRe wheel but ill give it some time until they release the formula wheel. If t500rs steering degrees is ever fixed during my wait on fanatec formula wheel then I would definitely buy a t500rs again since im already sure the feel of the steering will be excellent.

I hope we can keep this thread to maybe inform the "GT5 Developer" or anyone who is able to inform the "GT5 Developer" to fix GT5's official wheel.

Just get a G27 with Nixim mod ver.II for brake pedal.. then sell it when you get CSRe. For GT5, G25/27 works perfect..

AND, I tried that ''controller sensitivity'' with my G25. It's like a new game again. I love that adjustability, it does work, and works well.

I like +3 to +4 in regular cars, definitely +3 or lower for LM cars, etc., sinse GT5 already compensates, it seems like the quicker the rack in the car should be, the lower I set that setting. It makes a huge difference in the feel of the car and how you catch a slide, etc. I can even tell the difference in the Force Feedback.

I wish I would have tested that out sooner. 100% working though fo sho.

I use a g27 and it came with the logitech software which i used to lower the rotation degrees on the wheel.

I am not sure if it actually made a difference in the GT5 game but I think it did , this isnt proven though so im sorry i cant provide any facts.

You should give it a try thought if you use a g27.

I use a g27 and it came with the logitech software which i used to lower the rotation degrees on the wheel.

I am not sure if it actually made a difference in the GT5 game but I think it did , this isnt proven though so im sorry i cant provide any facts.

You should give it a try thought if you use a g27.

PC software / drivers doesn't affect G27 on the PS3 and GT5 even a little- guaranteed. LOL.

Back