GT5 - Steering wheel vs controller!!!

• Thread starter vtecguy
  • 89 comments
vtecguy
I was just wondering, is there a diff in lap times when you use a steering wheel vs PS3 controller?

Coz i've been trying out the online rankings with the r35-suzuka-standard mode and for some reason no matter how clean my lap is the best i could do is a low 2'10 (the online rec is a 2'05).

I downloaded the ghost car of the top driver and i could see that while he could carry a lot more speed into corners my car was understeering and running off track.

Could this be bcoz im using a controller? Have any of yo'l seen an improvement in lap times after switching over to a wheel?

Some of these online lap times are just mind bogling.

It could well be, however, some of the fastest folks in the world (look for holl01, Mr P, etc. on this site) will happily switch between controller and wheel depending on the car / track combo to see what suits them best.

On another note, we don't like the use of txt slang here, so please don't use things like "bcoz" here. Our Acceptable Use Policy that you agreed to when you signed up here is pretty specific about this, so please bear it in mind with your future posts.

No slang words that promote laziness, ie; “r”, “u”, “plz”, etc. will be tolerated. Decent grammar is expected, including proper usage of capital letters. Repeated violations will be grounds for suspension and/or permanent removal from the forums.

One thing you'll learn from here is that no matter how fast you think you are, there's usually someone faster than you! (What we affectionately refer to here as aliens
alien.gif
!)
See our online racing forums for more information on this, and the GT5:P registry discussion thread for news on our Weekly Race Series making the transition to GT5:P.

Hope this helps you to settle in, and of course, welcome to
gtp.gif
! :cheers:

Last edited:
I believe that the difference are not in the choise of controller, but in car setup ;) Gat a setup from the car tuning forums here, and be amazed of how much better the car drives, and how much faster you are ;)

I believe that the difference are not in the choise of controller, but in car setup Gat a setup from the car tuning forums here, and be amazed of how much better the car drives, and how much faster you are

But does time trial allow tuning? I cannot tune anything in TT.

Nope, Time Trial doesn't allow tuning, beyond choosing which tyres you wish to drive with up to a certain compound.

To be perfectly honest since getting my wheel 2 months ago,the biggest advantage of wheel vs controller to me is the gas/brake pedals.They allow for more precise control of throttle/braking.Which is of most importance with a high powered car in loose conditions.Having the wheel adds more physical aspect to racing,gives your arms a workout,and does require an adjustment period.Was`very dissapointed first few times using my GTDF wheel I thought my God all this time I thought I was good but I really suck.Still sometimes find it hard to control some cars with wheel,for example the tuned Lotus.But as far as a lap time advantage,sometimes yes/but sometimes not really.:crazy:

I'm pretty sure the game smooths the inputs a bit from the controller. When I got the G25 the first thing I noticed was how much I'd been relying on this. My initial learning curve involved being a lot more smooth with my inputs but, once I'd sorted this out, the laptimes plummeted. I know some guys get sick times with controllers but I was about 2secs a lap slower in a GT06. Nowadays I can't even keep a car on the track with a sixaxis.

I just got the logitech wireless driving force and im ready to return it, having trouble adjusting it . Im used to sixaxis, and need advice on adjusting this wheel. I am turning into walls and really dont like the gas and brake paddles. Any advice comments?

I just got the logitech wireless driving force and im ready to return it, having trouble adjusting it . Im used to sixaxis, and need advice on adjusting this wheel. I am turning into walls and really dont like the gas and brake paddles. Any advice comments?

I think the simple advice is: it's going to take time & practice. After many hours with a controller, it's going to take a while to readjust to a wheel...

I have the logitech driving force GT wheel and I think its great and it has really Improved my lap times. But it took a little time to get used to it but I couldn't go back to the controller. How long have you had your wheel ? Give it a few days then try the GT wheel.

I have the logitech driving force GT wheel and I think its great and it has really Improved my lap times. But it took a little time to get used to it but I couldn't go back to the controller. How long have you had your wheel ? Give it a few days then try the GT wheel.

+1:tup:

I got my DF GT a few weeks ago and i'm loving it. Still not as quick with some cars yet but it's a lot more immersive. I agree with the comments about maybe the pad smoothing out throttle movements because i have to be a lot more careful and can't just stomp on the the gas like i seemed to be able to with the pad.

woot woot, getting my DFGT soon, can not wait!!!!!!!!:dopey:
watch out, time to put down the sixaxes.:sly:

From what I've experienced, you get more turning angle with a steering wheel rather than from a controller

Hmm, that probably explains why my R35 understeers while the ghost car doesn't (even though we both enter the corner at the same speed and racing line).

Now i really want a steering wheel. LOL

Each of the different controllers (wheel, Dual Shock, or SixaXXis) seems to offer its own advantages. Those advantages seem to change from car to car and track to track. Generall, these are the things that seem to hold true across all of the tracks and cars. First, the controllers, both DualShock and SixaXXis, offer a much faster reaction time, especially when steering side to side (such as collision avoidance and spin recovery) and from full on brake to full on throttle. These traits offer a special advantage in the Drift races/Drift Trials. The wheels, however, offer greater precision and smoother operation of the vehicle, which some vehicle/track combinations demand. The DF-GT offers the advantage of easy access to RA Functions while in a race, but I've found that I never use them anymore except to lauch the GT-R form standing starts (50/50). During a race, I find it more a distraction than an advantage. Since this wheel does not have a 200 degree mode, it sucks for things like tight rally races and for drifting - the reaction time is just too slow/sluggish. The Driving Force Pro is the best compromise for all around use. In the 900 degree mode, you get that great precision and smoothness required for most cars and track venues. However, in the 200 degree mode, you get a great compromise between reaction time and precision, good for racing on most tracks and for use in Drift mode - BTW, this mode is the same as the operation of the Driving Force, which is a 200 degree wheel, and is a good alternative for transition from hand-held controllers to steering wheels, and they are not that much more expensive than the a new hand-held.

sxboyd, I heard somewhere that you can switch the DFGT by pushing the buttons in a special order.I have not seen what the order is though.It was in one of the other threads.

sxboyd, I heard somewhere that you can switch the DFGT by pushing the buttons in a special order.I have not seen what the order is though.It was in one of the other threads.

Holding: "Select", "R3" and the "Upshift Paddle" at the same time on the DF Pro switches from 900 degree to 200 degree mode, and the right-hand indicator light will go out. (Use the same button combo to switch back.)

However, the DFGT doesn't have the indicator lights and the Logitech website doesn't mention anything other than full 900 degree operation for that wheel. I don't have one so I can't try it out, but that button combo might work.

Of course, you could always try reading the manual that came with the wheel! ;)

hi vtecguy im that ghost car and i use a g25 but my friend who is in second uses a controller (very close) so i guess that on this track combo its quite the same

I think the best wheel is the DF-GT but the G25 has the best pedals ... so what I use is a hybrid of the two. In particular the grip is much better on the DF-GT, I found the leather on the G25 a bit on the slippery side.

The advantadge for Wheels on Prologue is bigger than it was on GT4. Sincs driving physics improved, car reactions changed a lot. N or S tires on a fast car = major advantadge for the wheel. GT4 was way more forgiving for DS2 players.

It's all a matter of how smooth you will draw a line over the course, and 99% of the times the wheel will give you better precision. If you have incredible precision control with your thumbs, you may do well with a controller, but i would recommend a wheel if your thing is online rankings.

Hey, the registry race is a great example of that. The F430 on the sixaxis... just doesn't do justice. I really miss my wheel in my new place (have no room to install right now). Personally, with N or S tires i have a difference of 1.5-2.0 seconds from the sixaxis to the wheel.

Off course, for things like drift, the controller is still ok.

It's all a matter of how smooth you will draw a line over the course, and 99% of the times the wheel will give you better precision. If you have incredible precision control with your thumbs, you may do well with a controller, but i would recommend a wheel if your thing is online rankings.

Hey, the registry race is a great example of that. The F430 on the sixaxis... just doesn't do justice. I really miss my wheel in my new place (have no room to install right now). Personally, with N or S tires i have a difference of 1.5-2.0 seconds from the sixaxis to the wheel.

Off course, for things like drift, the controller is still ok.

Yep I agree. The Registary event is not good with a Sixaxis lol losing about 3 seconds...

Wheel has more control instead of tapping left and right...

Drifting looks better.

and of course you can have time to left go of the throttle without having to keep holding with your worn out thumb lol...

Im thinking of DFGT but need the £ 👍

Of course, you could always try reading the manual that came with the wheel! ;)[/QUOTE]

Manual? I don't need no stink'in manual!:sly:

Holding: "Select", "R3" and the "Upshift Paddle" at the same time on the DF Pro switches from 900 degree to 200 degree mode, and the right-hand indicator light will go out. (Use the same button combo to switch back.)

However, the DFGT doesn't have the indicator lights and the Logitech website doesn't mention anything other than full 900 degree operation for that wheel. I don't have one so I can't try it out, but that button combo might work.

Of course, you could always try reading the manual that came with the wheel! ;)

I've tried the DF Pro button combination on the DF GT and it does not work. BTW, the DF Pro also switches 900/200 modes on the PC also. I use the DF Pro on my PC driving games, and I use the DF GT on my PS3.

I've read the manuals through and through and found nothing. I've checked on line in every forum that I could find, in every walkthrough, in every cheat - nothing. As far as the manual that comes with the Logitech steering wheels, they are about as useful as the teats on a boar hog. To be honest, they sucki canal water. I helped write technical manuals for 30 years and I would be ashamed to put my name on anything that weak.

Great steering wheels - sucky manuals and support.

hi vtecguy im that ghost car and i use a g25 but my friend who is in second uses a controller (very close) so i guess that on this track combo its quite the same

Firstly, congrats dude. Your lap record is just untouchable. I know im trying as hard as i can and keeping it as clean as possible and to be 5 secs quicker than that is really awesome.

Is you friend "markyboy92"? Will download his ghost and see where im losing out. I feel the problem is im too conservative in my corner enter, as in im not really taking the car as sideways as you guys are.

I will hopefully get a DFP fro X-Mas from my wife, but my guess is that the force feedback has a lot to do with the stability in corners. I assume that with FF you can feel it when the traction starts to break, so you can use the throttle and steering to keep it near the limit in the longs sweepers. With the six axis, you are pretty much totally guessing, and once it breaks you have no idea what steering angle to go back to to regain control. The skidding sound helps, but it's not perfect. Plus, once it starts to understeer, the instinct is to push the steering over all the way, which just scrubs off more speed and makes it worse. For example, using the six axis I am getting through the long right hander at Fuji just by the experience of knowing aboult how hard I can push it. I am hopeful that the FF will make allow me to know when I am right on the edge!

Anyway, hopefully I will discover that this is true!

Hello all first post here and I will try to follow the rules. Can anybody coment on nsbratt's idea about the FF letting you lnow what is going on with over/under steer? I assume that this is the biggest benifit in using the wheel. I have yet to decide which wheel to get, but am looking forward to it. I used to use a Mad Catz with GT2 and 3 and loved that wheel for the toy it was. See you guys out there.

With any of the logitech force feedback wheels, if traction starts to break the wheel will go light (much like it does in real life). This means you can catch the slide a lot easier than with a controller.

The other advantage of a wheel is the pedals and wheel offer a lot more modulation - it's not so much "on" or "off" with steering and gas/brake like it is with the controller. This makes RWD MUCH easier to drive quickly - I still can't manage a RWD car with ASM/TC off using a controller.

I didn't, however, notice as much of a difference for FWD/4WD cars when moving to the wheel though there is still improvement.

If you can afford a G25 get that, if not look for a second hand Driving Force Pro (in my opinion the fidly dials on the Force GT are a gimmick - especially considering you can assign these to buttons on the wheel or a controller and keep it by the wheel if you really need them).

Oh, and I hope the mods give you credit for using the search function :)👍

Edit: A bit off topic, does anyone know what the DS3 is like with GT5p? This may solve your lack of "feel" at half the price.

Back