GT5 - Steering wheel vs controller!!!

• Thread starter vtecguy
  • 89 comments
I have recently bought a G25. I must say the accuracy with a wheel is astounding.

As for times I am currently not much faster with the wheel, than i was with the pad (Still learning). The pad does offer better control with some cars but a wheel will always be faster and smoother.

Switched from using a pad since GT1 to a DFP about 6 months ago... and never going back :) 👍

Switched from using a pad since GT1 to a DFP about 6 months ago... and never going back :) 👍

Exactly the same as me but I only got a wheel about 2 months ago. Am now much, much faster with a wheel. One of the best things I ever bought for any Playstation would be this DFGT.

Edit: A bit off topic, does anyone know what the DS3 is like with GT5p? This may solve your lack of "feel" at half the price.

I've been using a DS3 since I got the game. I've tried a Sixaxis when my batteries run out, and I'm definitely faster with the DS3. I guess the rumble and extra weight of the controller helps. Plus, I've used a DS/DS2 since GT2, so it's just what I'm used to.

I started off with a sixaxis and got a DS3 before they came out n the UK and id say for the cost its deffinately worth it!

You do get more feel than with a six axis though im sure its no where near as good as a g25 (which im hoping to get for xmas :P )

I was a long time controller user (GT1,2,3,4) and also used the sixaxis on GT5P for a while. I found the game got quite dull with the controller, not as much content as GT4 so thats all I played. Anyway..

Was out and about one day and saw a g25 wheel on sale for 350NZD which sounded fine to me, had a bit of an impulse buy but it is so worth it! Took me about 3 days to re-learn to drive. I am now doing the best I have ever done! Am still not good enough for expert events but I have been doing alright in the intermediate events.

Cheers.

My runs were always cleaner and more precise using my DFGT but alot quicker using my Sixaxis I have to say. Need more time and practice with my wheel lol

I have played many many laps of my favourite car and track combination with the controller and once I got the G25 I went from roughly position 30 to top 10 within the space of a week. If it's time trials you are into then you need a wheel. That's pretty much the bottom line. I can't imaging there are many top 10 controller users on popular car/track combinations, but I could be wrong.

I use the DFGT, much better than the DS3.
Sometimes it's harder handle strong cars, but the fun is bigger, for sure.
A few days ago, my friend invited me to play GT5P in his house, i had to use the controller... how strange and boring it was. I hope i never had to get back to the DS3. =P

I use the DFGT, much better than the DS3.
Sometimes it's harder handle strong cars, but the fun is bigger, for sure.
A few days ago, my friend invited me to play GT5P in his house, i had to use the controller... how strange and boring it was. I hope i never had to get back to the DS3. =P

I'll second that. I feel exactly the same,as far as faster or not I dont know some of the fastest guys I know of use a pad,but a wheel is so much more fun.

I have always used the controller. What I don't like about the one I am using now is that the steering doesn't seem to be variable. It's either full left (or right) or nothing. My old controller from my PS2 system was nice in that I could feather the steering however much I wanted. When on a track like Test Course, Daytona or High Speed Ring, it's good to just give it a little steering input on the sweeping corners. Instead, I'm finding that my wheels are chirping alot when I turn.

I don't believe there is a difference in out right speed but using a wheel I find i'm much more consistent and relaxed when getting lap times.

After switching to the wheel I find my braking / gassing and cornering techniques are much more precise; therefore, my lap times have greatly improved. (I even managed to get 1st place in the 1-lap Suzuki event in class C!).

In honesty, I don't understand how ANYBODY could be faster with the controller :odd:

It is also far more fun; try slamming the gas pedal as you exit out of a corner, then your back in flys out... :sly:

I drove many years with a wheel, but since a have no option to put the steering wheel in the living room i'm using the controler since well about 2 weeks again. Must say, that I can really hammer the cars arround the tracks. I find driving easier with controller.

It's also more relaxed when just playing the game. On the couch surrounded by my 4 legged friends motivates enough. They bark when I'm not fast enough ;)

Downside with controller is the feel of driving a car. Controller is more a game experience. Wheel is driving experience :) Both fun!

Kind regards,
galgospeed

I got a g25 a week ago, not only my first wheel but also my first time using a wheel and i must say wheel>pad, no doubt about it, i'm matching my pad times right now and there is still so much more room for improvement.

With a wheel you can be so much more precise in throttle and steering and you have way more control over the car than you'll ever get with a controller.

I've never seen a real car driven by a controller/game pad. Since GT is a driving simulation, it's best to use a steering wheel to enjoy the full experience.

I got a g25 a week ago, not only my first wheel but also my first time using a wheel and i must say wheel>pad, no doubt about it, i'm matching my pad times right now and there is still so much more room for improvement.

With a wheel you can be so much more precise in throttle and steering and you have way more control over the car than you'll ever get with a controller.

Sounds promising...can't wait to get mine. 👍 Hopefully I'll see the same improvements as you. Hell, you were fast enough before, you'll definately be up there with the best if you step your driving up much further :)

man its so much different when switching from a controller to a wheel, but i must say that i have yet to experience the best out of my dfgt since i have no proper mounting area for it..i had to use a stool to some how mount it in place..really uncomfortable!

I, like many people over Xmas have just become the owner of Steering wheel/Pedal set thanks to good old Mr Claus. I was lucky enough to be brought (actually I stipulated but there you go) a G25 setup along with a Speed Seat racing frame to bolt everything to. Everything works really well and GT5:P plays brilliantly with the wheel, pedals shifter etc.

The downside for me thus far, is that I am re-discovering (went from pad to wheel on Forza 2) that it's extreamly difficult to be competative with the steering wheel compared to the controller. It seems that like many other people, I am not able to get anywhere near my trial times with the wheel compared to when I was using the controller. On certain tracks with certain cars im not even close which is really frustraiting. Best example is probably the High Speed ring with the R35 GTR. Controller Im able to run (although not every lap) 1.13.641 but with the wheel Im barely able to break into the 1.14's, my times are usually in the low 1.15's.

I guess my question is fairly simple, with enough time spent on the wheel is it possible to run as quickly as you can on the pad ?? If so what's your tips to getting to grips with the wheel having used the controller for a lenghtly period ??

wheel anyday. I got a DFGT for christmas and i love it. I don't mind waiting for 2009 for gt5 now, reason, after getting the wheel gt5p is like a whole new game now.

Last edited:
I guess my question is fairly simple, with enough time spent on the wheel is it possible to run as quickly as you can on the pad ?? If so what's your tips to getting to grips with the wheel having used the controller for a lenghtly period ??

Practice. It is possible to obtain the same lap times, better lap times, and worse lap times compared to the pad. The translation of physics is completely different between the two and it's something you just have to get used to. Remember, good lap times will come. The experience and fun factor is what really matters.

but i must say that i have yet to experience the best out of my dfgt since i have no proper mounting area for it..i had to use a stool to some how mount it in place..really uncomfortable!

When I bought my first wheel, the cheap Driving Force EX, it came with a lap attachment so I could sit on the sofa and use it... always worked a treat and I now use the same attachment with my new G25.

So as a cheap solution that doesn't involve moving the dining table or filling the living room with gadgetry, Logitech also sell the lap thingy seperately - it fits all their wheels:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/playstation_2/wheels/devices/405&cl=US,EN

:)

When I bought my first wheel, the cheap Driving Force EX, it came with a lap attachment so I could sit on the sofa and use it... always worked a treat and I now use the same attachment with my new G25.:)
I've looked at the picture, but how do you place it on your lap in a stable fashion? Is it any good with the G25's strong FFB?

Ontopic: I have used both the controller and wheel and both have advantages and disadvantages. The controller obviously suffers from lack of range of motion for the thumbsticks and triggers. But this is largely compensated by a large dose of steering assist, even when all assists are off inside the game. Also, if released, the wheel will always return to the center, regardless of what you are doing or where you are. So you can steer back to center by just releasing the thumbstick.

The wheel does not suffer from lack of range of motion, but you have to do everything yourself. Also, the wheel will not return to center position unless you make it. Releasing the wheel does not make it steer back to center.

Tip for wheel users: try the controller again sometime to see just how much you are being helped when using it. This is something you don't notice unless you have used a wheel for sometime and switch back.

I have also noticed that with the Spec III update, there is a difference in controller sensitivity. The controller is much more sensitive and as a result, cars are more difficult to control.

Just get yourself comfortable and pedals correctly distanced, then put it on your lap with the lower bit between your knees. It sits perfectly stable on my lap, even with the G25 trying to rip itself out of my grasp... No its not perfect but its definitely better than no wheel or a kitchen stool :)

Which leads me neatly on topic - as a G25 owner and former owner of a DF EX, I would say there is no contest between wheel and controller. I personally cannot come even close to my wheel lap times with a controller.

No its not perfect but its definitely better than no wheel or a kitchen stool :)
I faced the same problem (no decent place to attach the wheel to and the wife killing me if I order a playseat ;)), so I got myself a Wheelstand Pro. A bit more expensive, but works perfectly. :)

BTW, at first I couldn't get the same laptimes with the wheel as the controller, but now it's the exact other way around. :) Nothing beats a wheel.

I have to say that after being used to a wheel, now that I am home for Christmas and my wheel is still at my uni residence I can no longer play this game competently with a controller!

I can get around at a decent enough whack but there is no subtlety to the control!

Steering wheel FTW and I am buying a G25 with my next loan cheque!

I faced the same problem (no decent place to attach the wheel to and the wife killing me if I order a playseat ;)), so I got myself a Wheelstand Pro. A bit more expensive, but works perfectly. :)

BTW, at first I couldn't get the same laptimes with the wheel as the controller, but now it's the exact other way around. :) Nothing beats a wheel.

Wow that's a very handy little device! Lars, you totally recommend that wheelstand Pro? It doesn't slide about on carpet or the floor with pressure from the pedals or anything like that?

All the best
Maz

It doesn't slide about on carpet or the floor with pressure from the pedals or anything like that?
No, not at all. Even when it gets very aggresive. ;) And I didn't even secure the pedals to the base. :)

Back