GT5 Track Editor Thread

• Thread starter Tapey
  • 1,324 comments
Ok I figured I'd make a new thread regarding the track editor in GT5 for discussion/specualtion since being tucked away in the DigiExpo thread, there could be a lot of people who don't see the news, so here you go.

First of all, here are two sources for the news:

Gran Turismo 5 track editor confirmed at DigiExpo
Click here for source

Gran Turismo 5 Track Editor Confirmed By Polyphony Digital
Click here for source

So, thoughts?

Personally I'm thinking this might be too good to be true, and possible result of a mistranslation/misunderstanding (regardless of what the articles say). The thing is that being able to create tracks is one thing, but the Polyphony Digital rep also states that you can edit tracks that come with GT5 too? Sounds crazy. I can see editing rally stages and maybe some gigantic test track but I don't think for one second it would be possible to tamper with tracks such as Nurburgring and Route 246 etc, I mean... how would you?!?

Still, this could be a really cool feature if it ends up in GT5 👍

Right now I'm only expecting being able to add / remove cones, and other basic stuff. PD always talks about the overall quality of the game, so I can't see how they would let us do anything we want with any of the tracks.

If editing with already existing tracks, it might simply mean letting you up cones and barriers on the track, sorta like Live For Speed's "track editor"

IMO editing existing tracks would get confusing. If there is anything to all this I imagine that some sort of track generator could be used for rally stages or circuits similar to eiger or el capitan. When you complete part of the game which uses pre-set generated tracks you'd unlock the ability to edit those tracks or start from scratch, I can't see you being able to make your own grand valley or anything like that.

Apparently it was a fake story...still waiting for more news.

Yeah, I think it might have been another site owner/writer making up stupid stories to get web traffic. Most likely saw the first article about DigiExpo and decided to run with it 👎

Having used plenty of map/track editors in other games I honestly can't believe their will be one in GT5 simply due to the complexity and nature of the game...

I'm not buying it, they have been very secretive thus far I doubt they would just tell someone who called about a major feature.👎

Yeah, it's really annoying the amount of articles that spout complete and utter crap just so site owners can generate traffic. It's one of the main problems with N4G, which is usually a fantastic source for videogame news (provided you avoid the comments sections as much as possible).

Yeah, it's really annoying the amount of articles that spout complete and utter crap just so site owners can generate traffic. It's one of the main problems with N4G, which is usually a fantastic source for videogame news (provided you avoid the comments sections as much as possible).

Yeeep

I'm not buying it, they have been very secretive thus far I doubt they would just tell someone who called about a major feature.👎

Same here. We all know how secretive PD is. Revealing a feature to a random guy is not what PD would do. It's definitely just an attempt from the guy to get web traffic. Unless he called some sony guy who forgot he should keep his mouth shut like the one in the video :lol:

The best you could hope for is something like PGR3 (just blocking off streets).
Maybe some new layouts of New York or Seattle. would be possible.

Test Drive V-Rally had a great track creation utility, but PD building a utility for a game like GT5 would be a big diversion. :)

More silly rumors.. and false ones at that. :indiff:

I'd like to remind everyone that Kazunori said in an interview with IGN just a couple months ago that a track-editor would NOT be in GT5 and even admitted that it "wasn't something we've really thought about."

Read that interview here (second to last paragraph)... http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/101/1015547p1.html

I'd like to remind everyone that Kazunori said in an interview with IGN just a couple months ago that a track-editor would NOT be in GT5 and even admitted that it "wasn't something we've really thought about."

Read that interview here (second to last paragraph)... http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/101/1015547p1.html

I'm sure everyone here remembers that. Kazunori is a complicated guy, just because he says something will be in, it doesn't mean it will. The same goes for when he says something will not be in.

Not that I'm buying that story but Amar did hint on it more than once, and that sony guy did say you could make your own tracks.

Last edited:
The unfortunate thing here is that there will be a lot of complaints when GT5 launches without a track editor, and people will bash Polyphony Digital for "lying" about it when word only got out because of some sad website owner making up stories to get traffic for his website =/

The unfortunate thing here is that there will be a lot of complaints when GT5 launches without a track editor, and people will bash Polyphony Digital for "lying" about it when word only got out because of some sad website owner making up stories to get traffic for his website =/

Indeed. These are my thoughts exactly.

As I mentioned in my comment to my news blog post, I have no doubts about the existence of the track editor per Amar. Whether or not Polyphony Digital will be able to develop the feature to an acceptable level of quality is what, I believe, will ultimately determine whether it ships with the game or not.

I'm sure hoping for a track editor, although I'm doubt there will be such.
Still, it would be great if I could build my own track - from my home to my friend's home in my city... :)

P.S. This could explain why GT5 looks like 3 disks - maybe one of them is the Track Editor software to be installed (either on PC or PS3...)

Haha, I hate you. :P

I'm inclined to believe that there will be a track editor. Probably won't use it myself, but certainly would love to race on other people's tracks.

I can only wonder if tracks will be deleted if they're based on real-life locations though...

I personally believe, in a similar fashion to Jordan, that they have been tinkering behind the scenes...

When I first saw the Ferrari 458 video, and the footage of a winding road, I immediately thought that it may have been the product of the "track editor."

I don't for one second believe that they've been working on giving us a full-blown editor, à la CryEngine2's Sandbox, but rather a simplified, morphable-tile-based method. That is, you draw the track in sections and adjust curvature and height etc. and the engine fills in the scenery according to the tile type and selected track "location" - the advantages being as Custer85 said in the DigiExpo thread.

Personally, I'm hoping for a random generation feature, and the ability to save and edit the resulting seeds for future use.

Still dreaming, for now.

Back