GT5P physics vs Enthusia

• Thread starter Biggles
  • 97 comments
Not wanting to go off topic, but I have to say that, concerning the feel of "weight transfer" and "wheel FFB" (at least with a G25), EPR got finally surpassed. Not by GT5P, but by another "low profile, poor selling, abandoned by their creators" game (this sounds familiar) called Ferrari Challenge.

At least with this one a sequel is to be released, concerning EPR I lost my hope ...

Well, today I ordered Enthusia cheaply online. Hopefully in a few days time I'll be able to give my thoughts on physics 👍

...and here are my thoughts, after a couple of hours' worth of playing.

The very first corner in my Nissan Micra set the tone for my experiences and gave me something to recalibrate my mind with. All driving aids off, automatic transmission so I could get used to the handling, and at the San Marco circuit. My attempt at cornering was an understeery, slithering mess. I'd failed to take account of the different physics, given that the rest of the game looks so similar to GT, and even the sounds are almost identical.

Right, mental note, onto and off the brakes smoothly, turn in really smoothly, accelerate out slowwwwwly. Better this time. Needs manual transmission though as I'm not used to the different characteristics of the auto and the fact the revs rise and fall unrelated to the road speed. Chose semi auto, the only other option for the car. Much better, though still not as good as full manual.

Getting the hang of it, but the Micra is an understeery beast even as I win races and the car is tuned up. I fiddle with settings (very rudimentary compared to GT4/GT5P) but it begins to handle better. The setup may be rudimentary but the bars showing what effect it has on the handling are a useful touch.

A different car, Honda Mobilio, CVT only. Bit less understeery, lighter on it's feet. Like the way you can feel (and see, with the meter) the wheels gripping and losing grip on the road. Makes you drive smoother, I reckon.

What I don't like is the very mushy feeling of the steering, which is exacerbated by the extra "realistic" understeer in most situations. I use a pad for all games and the GT games feel much more incisive, and generally more "lively". The suspension physics aren't as good in GT but the way the car moves seems more realistic. In EPR if you overcook it going into a corner, understeering too much, then very little allows you to get back on track. Lifting or braking don't seem to have too much effect even at low speeds. Maybe it's my inexperience with the physics as yet, but in this respect GT is closer to the sort of "ideal" you'd find in LFS, for example.

I tried the Audi A4 which gave me much more grip but still no "feel". The rumble effects through the pad aren't up to much either. A rumble pad on the PS2 or PS3 vibrates in FWD cars which although a sort of generic effect applied to all cars, does a good job of letting you know how much the wheels are spinning or turned.

Lift off oversteer and the back end moving under braking are well represented in EPR, much more so than in GT, but then controlling any movement seems... not slow witted exactly, but again there's no "feel" when steering. I presume it's better with a G25 or something but GT does a good job of making a joypad provide feedback and EPR doesn't.

Anyway, I need more time with the game and I'll give more feedback when I've played for more hours 👍

Funny thing, with my sister's new PS3 and the discovery of GT5:P at Blockbuster, hopefully in the next few weeks she'll allow me use of the system to play a rented copy for a couple weeks. Then I'll really be able to get a feel for the physics.

Got an idea, 1st buy a copy you tight arse :) ($40 aussie so it cant be too expensive???) .....2nd steal (not borrow) the PS3 from your sister (chicks dont usually play PS3 that often do they?) and 3rd lock yourself in a room for 3 days (G25 is a must!!!!)........then give up some analysis on the physics 👍

Me personally, I love the GT5p physics.....but still recon the way Enthusia portrayed body roll and inertia (including stuff like hitting ripple strips etc) was better. Also still stand by my rating of Forza 2's burnout physics (low speed stuff) being also better.
As I have said before, theres no going back to EPR or FM2.....GT5p is just too good!

More feedback from myself on EPR, after more time playing it:

Definitely getting the hang of driving on the game now, so some of my initial concerns have died down. I still find the brakes and throttle quite hard to modulate smoothly, so it's hard to keep a constant line around the corner as the extra motion of the suspension over games like GT4 and GT5 means any throttle or brake adjustments have more of an effect on your cornering lines.

Since the other day I've tried a few more cars. For my first foray into RWD I used a Silvia S14 which was interesting. You have to be very careful indeed with the throttle, though probably not significantly more so than RWDs in GT5P. The car isn't as uncontrollable as I'd been led to believe when researching the game though, so that's good. What does seem a little excessive is the ease of which the inside rear spins up when accelerating, even when being very, very smooth. I even tried increasing the LSD's lock and it didn't make too much more difference. I think in that respect, EPR is a bit over the top. The car drifts nicely though, it feels more "planted" in a drift than GT5P but maybe not quite as controllable.

I've tried a couple more AWD cars too, an Evo II and a VW Touareg. Both are great fun to drive, and as I become smoother it's nice having the extra feeling of weight transfer over a game like GT4 - EPR is roughly equal with GT5P in this respect, but I find it's easier to notice in EPR because there are cars available, such as the off roaders, that have more pronounced movement than cars in GT5P.

@hun200kmh: Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me that I now have the option of playing the PS3 version of Ferrari Challenge. I've heard great things about it, but wasn't sure those qualities made it into the Wii version, so I've been holding off until I could rent it or buy it for cheap.

@unv412: Hah. Sorry, the game is just a big demo. I want to buy a copy, especially considering GT5 likely won't arrive before the end of the year, but when I do, I won't be spending more than $10.

@homeforsummer: I'm glad you're having fun. Keep at it and we'll have a go at each other when you think you've come to your "final" conclusion. ;)

What does seem a little excessive is the ease of which the inside rear spins up when accelerating, even when being very, very smooth. I even tried increasing the LSD's lock and it didn't make too much more difference. I think in that respect, EPR is a bit over the top.

it's nice having the extra feeling of weight transfer over a game like GT4 - EPR is roughly equal with GT5P in this respect, but I find it's easier to notice in EPR because there are cars available, such as the off roaders, that have more pronounced movement than cars in GT5P.

The inside wheelspin may be a little excessive but you ve got to remember some of the older cars are on very skinny tyres of period specific compounds with alot of body roll and an open diff.

The extra feeling of weight transfer is perfect, but your right the car selection does help over GT5p and also the chase cam view is more descriptive of this phenomenon where as GT5p 's is utter crap!

@homeforsummer: I'm glad you're having fun. Keep at it and we'll have a go at each other when you think you've come to your "final" conclusion. ;)

Having a go at each other? Oh you cynic you :sly: Anyway, my kind of "conclusion" is below.

The inside wheelspin may be a little excessive but you ve got to remember some of the older cars are on very skinny tyres of period specific compounds with alot of body roll and an open diff.

I've only driven modern cars in the game so to me the wheelspin is a little excessive and it's not a feeling I'm basing on cars with skinny tyres. Though you're right, the tyres do seem to be modelled well with regard to compound and things like width making a difference. But they're still a little too keen to spin.

The extra feeling of weight transfer is perfect, but your right the car selection does help over GT5p and also the chase cam view is more descriptive of this phenomenon where as GT5p 's is utter crap!

I don't use chase cam view so that doesn't bother me :P

My verdict - GT5P vs. Enthusia with regard to physics

For starters, bear in mind that I only use a joypad. I'm sure both games are even more impressive with a wheel, and ideally that's the way they should be played, but at the same time they're both still games and not actual real life, so they should be fun and give a sense of realism even with a humble pad. I'm happy to say that both games are enjoyable with a pad, GT5P maybe a little more so but I shall come to that in a second.

Suspension
Enthusia is clearly better with regard to modelling suspension movement. The little graphic that shows weighting (or lack of) on each wheel and centre of gravity is helpful for this, especially with the aforementioned wheelspin because you can back off the throttle to the exact amount to stop the wheel spinning. This would be something that you'd feel in real life but in a game it's handy to have.

Gravity and weight
This ties in with the above because the effect of these rely very much on realistic suspension movement to give a realistic feeling. Again, EPR is better than GT5P in these areas. The jumping and landing physics in GT5P can be well illustrated by the jump at Eiger, and we all know that this is less than realistically represented. Enthusia does a much better job of taking off and landing, giving you the feeling of individual wheels leaving the ground and a good feeling of them landing again, or bouncing in some circumstances. It feels much easier to lose control on a heavy landing if you've got the wrong amount of throttle/brake/steering on.

Weight transfer is more pronounced too in EPR. Lifting or braking, or adding more throttle all have a large effect on cornering attitude.

Tyres and traction
This is a more even battle. GT5P was a massive step forward over GT4, the car feeling much more "connected" to the road, giving a better feeling of tyre scrub when over/understeering, not as easily spinning away power from a standstill and actually giving good forward motion even so out of a corner, when a car in GT4 often felt like it was just spinning away it's power. At the very least, it's predictable. EPR is less predictable for me. It's still very good - sliding and drifting physics certainly seem well modeled, as is the more realistic feeling when powering off from a standing start - there's wheelspin, but it's more easily measured than in GT5P, and miles ahead of GT4.

What I'm not as keen on, as mentioned in my earlier post, is the ease to which an inside wheel spins away it's power in a corner. A good example to illustrate this would be the Nissan Micra I started on. Regardless of skinny tyres or unsuitability of a shopping car to circuit racing, I find it hard to believe that on the limit of grip in a 60mph corner, a 1.4 Micra would have enough power to spin it's inside front wheel if you applied more throttle. Understeer? Sure, it's only got so much grip, but it's only got so much torque too. Even at lower speeds the spin is excessive. No low-powered FWD I've driven in real life has been as keen to spin it's inside wheel at good speed - say, 40mph accelerating hard out of a roundabout. Powerful hot hatches? Again, sure, but not city cars.

A stint in cars like the AW20 MR2 (mid-rear) and S14 Silvia (front-rear) showed the same problems, even when more and more lock was allowed with the limited slip diff. By and large, the AWD cars are fine for this trait.

If anyone (Wolfe? :P) would like to enlighten me then please feel free. What I do notice is that the joypad is much less responsive in Enthusia than it is in GT5P, and harder to modulate brake and throttle. More on this below.

Steering and "chuckability"
I didn't know quite how to phrase this title, other than it's how realistic it feels to throw the car about, how quickly the car reacts to steering inputs etc. For this, I think GT5P, and indeed GT4 and games like LFS have a definite edge over EPR. The fact that GT5P is closer to LFS in this respect leads me to believe that GT5P is more accurate at representing this.

In GT5P, every action has a definite reaction. You turn, and the car follows, either following your line, understeering or oversteering depending on what you do with the other controls. EPR doesn't seem to do this. The steering seems less accurate, more wallowy (a feeling possibly heightened by the extra suspension movement the cars have increasing the time it takes for your action to result in a reaction). Maybe I've been spoilt, but I've never driven a car that's felt as vague as any of the cars in Enthusia, be they city cars or sports cars. In GT5P I rarely use full steering lock even on the little joystic, whereas I find myself basically on full steering lock quite a lot on Enthusia, just to get a reaction.

Joypad observation
Until I got a rumble joypad for GT5P, it felt oddly detached after playing GT4 and feeling constant vibrations depending on the surface and car. GT5P is now like this, but EPR isn't, and adds to the wallowy, weird feeling when cornering. I like vibrations as I go over kerbs, or when I'm accelerating in a FWD, as it gives a good "substitute" feeling for torque steer or the wheel moving in your hands. The only rumble effects that EPR betters GT in general for are those on the rally circuits, which give you a really good feeling of the surface you're on. So why not more of this on the normal circuits?

Conclusion
Considering everything between GT5P and EPR, I'd personally put them on a level. If EPR had the same feeling of the car being "alive" that GT5P does, then it would greatly, greatly enhance the game. As it is, the great physics are unfortunately dragged down by all the cars feeling sluggish to respond and wallowy, whether you're piloting an E30 M3 or a Toyota Landcruiser.

GT5P definitely has a lot to learn with regard to gravity, weight, more detailed suspension movement and all that jazz, though.

On a note unrelated to physics, at the moment I'd place Enthusia as my preferable game. Without doing a whole review on it, the tracks are great, the car choice is fantastic and the physics are real enough for my liking, so it's a more enjoyable game than GT5P. However, I can see it being mothballed when GT5 eventually arrives, but I suppose I can enjoy it for some time yet... and there's still GT4 waiting on my shelf, too.

excellent reveiw mate! The excesive inside wheel spin discussed does happen IRL but it is solely determined on how much understeer is dialed into the equation (FF cars only)...I mean, turn into a flowing corner at a race track with a big hand full of understeer with a FF car, and most will light up the inside wheel as the lateral forces undermine accelarative grip!!! Alternatiivly you could be right about it being excessive ! lol GT5p seem more accurate.

A fair and agreeable review, certainly. I see what you mean now about the inside wheel -- you think the speed seems too high for the car to actually push the tire beyond its limit. I think it depends on the car, the gearing, and the suspension load. I actually have real-world experience with this exact situation -- my BMW is open-diff'd, and I took it to an autocross on a small oval in the fall of '07. Taking the course at the top of 2nd (40-55mph), my suspension almost entirely unloaded the inside rear wheel on each corner, which would cause it to spin even with just 101hp. (If I had money to throw around on unnecessary upgrades, I would buy it a rear sway bar)

So for a FWD car to spin its inner wheel at full bore on a racetrack seems plausible to me. It's not so much about power, but weight transfer.

I completely agree with you on the suspension modelling and jumping, though they aren't perfect of course. For example, rolling the car is impossible, but as has been established before, manufacturers don't like licensing games where their cars can be flipped. Still, you can't even lift a wheel unless you jump. Another thing about the tires/launching -- you mention powering away from a standing start, well, Enthusia perfectly slips the clutch for you. Wheelspin would be more severe if you could drop the clutch and leave the throttle floored. At least you can still be spun off the course, as my YouTube video illustrates.

As for "chuckability," the problem is mostly the controller. With a wheel Enthusia still isn't the sharpest-handling game, but as we here in this forum have discussed before, it's kind of like a generalized, "rounded off" hardcore sim, fudged a bit to make it more playable. Who knows whether the PS2 could handle anything more serious.

The way to approach steering with the controller is to come to terms with the fact that your in-game driver is lazy and turns the wheel slowly. Keep that in mind, and it is no longer a matter of sluggish cars, but slow, precise steering (which is the sort of driving EPR often requires anyway). It's not ideal, but it's workable.

I pretty much agree with you, given my current experience with GT5:P (which I have not yet played in detail). Enthusia and GT5:P are on roughly equal terms, given Enthusia's age and flaws and the things GT5:P still lacks, and I could easily imagine the full GT5 absorbing a lot of my time. If the physics are fun at all, there will be many laps of the 'Ring to log in my 135i. :)

What you need to try, as Hun has already indicated, is Ferrari Challenge. It has much of the weight transfer characteristics of EPR but with much better FFB.

Although GT5P is immensely improved over GT4, there is still something odd about the way the cars behave - there is still an over-tendency to understeer, as if the tires are always as happy to slide sideways as they are to roll forwards - it's almost as though you're driving on round balls rather than tires. Compared to FC, the FFB supplies little information about what the car is doing, so you have to learn how to balance the car through trial & error rather than through feel.

Having said that though, GT5P's physics now include a lot more variables than they did in GT4, including oversteer & are more complex & detailed than the physics in FC (or EPR).

Well, we started to compare EPR to another 2005/PS2 game, but it wasn't really fair to compare a small attempt at simulation to a huge eye-candy game on that platform. ;)

So, now we have two comparable games, and we still don't care about number of tracks and number of cars. It wouldn't be fair because GT5P is a Prologue. But ... game size was really never the point anyway :D

I can't believe that you guys are seriously comparing these two games.. v.v;

We aren't comparing the games, we're comparing the driving physics. And really, since I've only just got the game, a good opportunity for myself to talk with people who've been playing Enthusia for a lot longer than I have and compare the handling with a game that I'm much more familiar with, i.e. GT5P.

Last edited:
I have the game too and after playing it for a while I usually give up and throw it back to the corner to gather dust. why? it's very arcade from my point of view. the "tuning" is rubbish, and they seem to have very little to do with the cars handling.

About it being "arcade" I guess you're entitlled to your opinion, of course.

About the "tuning", Konami was very clear in their press releases. If you are a guy that feels "tuning" to be a great part of the joy you get from a racing game, Enthusia wasn't really a game for you to enjoy.

A bit of google-use and I found it:

"ENTHUSIA steps away from the norm in the racing genre, opting to focus on driving rather than the time spent “under the hood.” Winning will require superior driving ability, establishing ENTHUSIA as a true simulation for driving enthusiasts who appreciate the details of car physics, performance and motion."

I am going to say this about Ferrari Challenge. At first I REALLY didnt like it at all,seemed kinda wierd to me. Well I will just admit it DANG HARD. But that was really due to some really bad habits GT had let me slide on for years. Like use of brakes,corner speed,weight transfer etc. With FF set to high I can actually FEEL the front tires slide & chatter I now LOVE how the cars feel in FC. Yes it is lacking in some areas and the offline part of the game is rather tuff. But it is called CHALLENGE. Oh and the tracks..Spa, Mugello, Silverstone,and the Ferrari test track.

About the "tuning", Konami was very clear in their press releases. If you are a guy that feels "tuning" to be a great part of the joy you get from a racing game, Enthusia wasn't really a game for you to enjoy.

"ENTHUSIA steps away from the norm in the racing genre, opting to focus on driving rather than the time spent “under the hood.” Winning will require superior driving ability, establishing ENTHUSIA as a true simulation for driving enthusiasts who appreciate the details of car physics, performance and motion."

I've thought to add something to this post, with regard to my experiences of tuning in EPR. Obviously, you can't tune the car yourself, with parts. This doesn't particularly bother me. It's a nice feature in GT, but EPR isn't GT, so I can accept it's absence.

Car set-up is rudimentary in EPR, but the system in place is very good indeed, I find.

In GT, you get a page full of numbers, and that's it. Not very helpful, really. Many of the numbers mean virtually nothing, and even in real life they mean very little, unless you run an F1 car.

Let me put it this way. If you have a car with adjustable suspension, do you figure out how many extra kg/m of load to put into the suspension, or do you give it an extra couple of turns to whichever knob or device you use to tighten up the dampers? You use turns, of course. Maybe give it half a turn towards the harder limit, and maybe give the rear units half a turn too.

When you look at it this way, the simple sliders in EPR make much more sense, and their little graphic showing how your actions affect the behaviour of the car is invaluable. The ticker-tape sentence running at the bottom of the screen in GT4, for example, confused the hell out of me. I knew what certain settings changes would do, but knowing how to balance springs and dampers was a mystery. I know how they work now, thanks to the excellent responses by several members in this thread a while back, but can still use EPR's sliders so much more easily to apply the knowledge I have on springs and dampers to make a car handle how I want it to.

For example, the Jaguar X-type. A car I very much like. In EPR, it's an oversteery beast from stock, with too much wheelspin. After setting ride to half the total and springs to half the hardness, I took it for a spin. Better, but same characteristics. Locked up the rear diff about a third. Better, but still too much wheelspin and oversteer. The front end was diving too much letting too much weight off the rear, so I stiffened it. Even better, but still lots of wheelspin from the rear inside tyre. A bit more locking of the diff, and softened the rear dampers a tad to let them compress a bit more and give a bit more traction. Really getting there now, but turn in is too slow. Without wishing to compromise the rear end which was now how I wanted it, I stiffened the front springs a little to sharpen the response, but increased the front dampers a little too so that the weight transfer wasn't too sudden. Bingo, the X-type now handles like a dream. All this without even touching toe and camber - I'm sure in not a lot of time I could make the car handle even better.

On GT, faced with a page of numbers, this would have taken absolutely ages, and I would have probably got things wrong regardless. The setting up on EPR is so much more intuitive and the things you do seem to have much more effect on the car, which makes tuning so much less of a chore than it is on GT.

Apologies for the long post, but as I'm learning the game better I'm definitely coming around to it's good and bad points. Setup is certainly one of the good points, for me!

Don't forget the aural effects of the "level" tuning. As you increase the levels, you can hear the different exhaust notes, squeaky race-spec brake pads, louder (or newly added) turbocharger/supercharger noise, or straight-cut gear whine from a transmission upgrade. So even if you don't know exactly what you're upgrading, listening to the car can provide some clues. Gran Turismo also does most of these things, of course, but its inferior engine sounds detract from the experience.

Another aspect of the level tuning I like -- certain cars seem to have a specific upper limit for their performance. The E30 M3, for example, was a homologation Group A racecar which, in its fastest form, made over 300hp, could hit 60mph in just over 4 seconds, and could reach a top speed of nearly 180mph. The Level 10 E30 M3 in Enthusia hits 60mph in just over 4 seconds, and can reach 180mph on the Ocean Bridge if you completely stretch out the gearing. :)

I haven't checked any other cars, but I imagine the E30 M3 isn't the only one that is tuned to its real life racing specifications at Level 10.

I did notice the change in sounds in some models - the first time it became apparent was with the V8 VW Touareg, which went from a low, rumbly sound to an altogether smoother and higher revving sound as it got upgrades. The differences when weight is reduced and tyres are improved are quite noticable too.

I've been driving the E30 M3 quite a bit, just recently taken it up to level 10 and by that stage it's a real flyer. I've recently done the same with the Honda NSX, which is brilliant to drive at level 10. The Jaguar I mentioned above is fantastic to drive when it's fully tuned too, it feels perfectly balanced now. It makes me pine for the Arden X-type...

pic02.jpg

Much as I think the in-depth tuning is great on GT, there's definitely something to be said for the way Enthusia does it too. I know it doesn't suit all people, and personally I like to buy parts like GT allows, but definitely with regard to car setup I prefer Enthusia's approach. It makes finding a good setup far less... well, boring.

The E30 M3 and the NSX are amazing, just as they should be. Beyond the fact that I was using it because it's my favorite, the M3 turned out to be a nice mid-range car that could easily win races in Enthusia Life, yet still earn me plenty of points. I stuck with it through the KotY race.

On the topic of subtleties in sound and feel, try a Honda with a high-revving VTEC motor and see if you can hear or sense when it switches cams. The effect is most noticable with the older Integra Type-R (DC2).

Like you, I like buying parts, but I also like Enthusia's tuning system more than GT's. The best, though, is Live for Speed. No part upgrades to be found (yet?), but everything uses real units, and rather than being given an oversteer/understeer bar or, well, nothing, you get to watch how your adjustments affect the car in real time, and can "drop" it from a short height to see how the suspension reacts to bound and rebound. Not the most user-friendly system in the world, but it works.

I played enthusia but sold it with my ps2. Now i miss it :(But i am lucky that i have ps3 with software bc and used enthusia was only 8€ internet auction.

Jst got EPR last week - its a step away from GT4 on the Ps2 and I find it quite good on the DFP - for 4.99 used PS2 Game its pretty good and has me racing more & more.

Plus its the only game that has an X-Type in it - solid.

Cheers,

S. Chapman

So I've rented GT5:Prologue and have been giving the latest update some real driving time. It's still a little early to come up with my final conclusions, but I've already decided it's not worth a purchase. After two nights with the game, class C and B are cleared, A is almost done, and I've driven pretty much everything I wanted to drive. Above all else, I don't like the limited selection of tracks. However, the physics are better than I expected, even after playing the game before (on an older update).

What first struck me was the "solidity" of the tires. The cars actually kinda feel like they're leaning and bucking on four pieces of rubber at each corner of the chassis. However, as Biggles said on the last page, there's still something odd. The very beginning of turn-in is responsive, but after that, the car doesn't really do anything. It just understeers unless you've really given it an indication you want to drift, at which point the car awkwardly rotates and begins sliding, with no perceptible transition between grip and no grip. Like Biggles said, it's like the cars are on balls instead of wheels.

Overall -- so far -- I want to say GT5:Prologue is the more modern game, with a more polished and more detailed physics engine. But it still can't match Enthusia on the fundamental physics forces. Oversteer, mid-corner balance, the effects of wheelspin...all of these things, despite being a bit wallowy and "fudgy," are more faithfully recreated in Enthusia.

So while GT5:P feels better on the outside, EPR is better, on the inside.

Anyone else who's played both have any thoughts?

I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head there with that conclusion, though I'd say that I prefer GT5:P because it's more accessible, and I don't often think that difficulty is the answer with games, regardless of how real they try to be. What's always cemented this viewpoint for me is the difficulty of the slalom licence tests in GT games - ever since I've been about 15 years old I've always been pretty damn sure I could accomplish the slalom more easily in a real car than I could in the game.

Whilst lacking a slalom (at least one I've found), Enthusia seems to have a slight playability expense when it reproduces realism, which I haven't found with GT5:P. Of course, I'm a pad user (like you, I'm sure I remember you saying?) and I lack the final percentage of realism you get from a wheel and pedals combo, but even using a pad you should at least get an idea of how a game links to real life and EPR seems a little too much on the fudgy mushy handling side to feel like driving a real car - impressive as it is.

Much as I love Enthusia and have been really impressed in the short time I've owned the game, it's likely to be shelved once GT5 comes out, as for me the PS3-gen GT games address the final few problems I had with the GT series up to now.

EPR's saving grace is that it still offers a more diverse selection of cars and even GT5 might not offer the off-roaders, minivans and tiny British classic sports cars that EPR does.

Yes, I use a pad as well. I have yet to find a console game that rewards the use of a wheel. Really, the only game that gets the G25 is Live for Speed. I've even been using my USB gamepad for rFactor.

Apart from the slow steering, the biggest inhibiting factor in Enthusia is likely the realistic consequences of wheelspin, a quality rarely found in driving games. That is, when a RWD car spins its wheels, the forward propulsion combined with the lack of lateral traction allow the tail to swing left or right as the rear end tries to swap with the front. Like some games, GT5:P tries to simulate this, but it doesn't work right, like it only works because PD tacked something onto the physics engine, not because it happens naturally.

Really, Gran Turismo will never be truly realistic until PD drops the simplistic modelling. As improved as GT5:P is, it still feels like a two-point "sliding brick" model with a bunch of extra rules attached. I bet cars are still limited to a specific angle when they get airborne.

Oh well. It's still fun. Now I know I want to buy GT5.

As my PS3 is freezing (disc read error) after about 20 - 25 minutes of racing, I have pulled out my old PS2. I wanted to stick GT4 on & take it for a run around GT4's amazing Nurburgring. However, opening the GT4 box, I find it EMPTY! :ouch::grumpy:

I decide to stick in EPR & give it a try instead. First, I'm put-off by the appallingly murky graphics - they didn't look too bad on a standard, small TV, but on my HDTV they look terrible. Unfortunately, the Nurburgring, with its strangely grey colour & light effects looks particularly bad. I take the Mazda 787B for a few laps - I'm almost a minute off my best time set more than two years ago - but gradually improve my times. Overall, not too impressive an experience - the steering with the G25 has a spongy feel & the physics are not all that convincing.

Then I decide to take Wolfe's beloved M3 Evo for a run. I immediately spin off the track a few times, but gradually get the feel for the car & physics & into my second lap I really start to groove on it. I get that familiar EPR feel, & suddenly, in spite of the terrible, murky graphics, I'm really enjoying it. It actually feels like driving a real car! In particularly the weight transfer & the balance between oversteer & understeer, throttle & brake, feels right.

The physics in GT5P are much more complex than in GT4, but I think they are still much too understeery. The cars feel like they are are too ready to slide sideways at any point & weight transfer is still not well represented. In fact, the physics of Ferrari Challenge are much more similar to EPR than GT5P's & I would recommend any Enthusiast give FC a try (especially the less race-oriented, & vintage cars). The one area of EPR's physics that I feel is quite weak is the implementation of FFB, & that is where FC excels. Unlike the vague, spongy feel of EPR's FFB, FC's FFB communicates a lot of information about what the tires are doing & overall gives the game a much more visceral quality than EPR or GT5P.

I don't play Enthusia maybe since mid-2007, and never played it with the G25 I'm now using. I had a 200º Logitech wheel back then so that's probably why I never felt EPR's FFB to be "spongy".

If I had more playtime than I do atm I would set up the PS2 again. Maybe I will one of these days.

The G25 transforms EPR. The wheel spins far more freely than previous wheels, and it makes a big difference (it does in LFS too, where you'd have massive lash in the DFP). You can throw the wheel round, or do no-hands drifts (turn in, hit gas, let go of wheel and make circles until you get bored, lift slightly and it'll pull straight). :)

The cars do feel like they have underinflated tyres in EPR, but that's a consequence of the low fidelity of the physics engine (a likely issue of the PS2). You won't feel every grain of the road, but beyond that it seems perfectly reasonable.

BTW, there is a PS2 sim which definitely requires the DFP (or better), Richard Burns Rally (still the best FFB on a console, best damage modelling, best offroad surface physics). It's better on the PC, for sure (better visibility from high res, more stable framerate, mods..), but the PS2 effort is still the full driving experience.

Anyone ever made it around the Nurburgring in the Cobra 427 (with no penalties) in EPR? :ill:

I didn't realize you could get RBR for the PS2. Any idea where I could pick up a copy?

Back