GT5p vs GRID (First, and only, take)

• Thread starter sxboyd
  • 298 comments
That's the thing you guys don't seem to get... Race cars don't have the movement that regular cars have. So if you're looking for the car to make insane leans through turns, it's not going to happen with a race car. Watch any F1 race, Lemans race, Indy Car, etc. Aside from NASCAR, which is arguably the most primitive form of racecar, the cars don't have much side to side, nor front to back movement... If their suspension was that soft, the cars would either be too tall and catch too much air under the car, or they'd bottom out at every turn and stop since they're millimeters off the ground to begin with.
I don't think that anyone has said anything that would lead you to believe that we think that?

However lets get one thing 100% clear, stiffer suspension may reduce or stop body roll and heave, but what it does not stop is load transfer. And GRiD has almost no concept of load transfer in its physics model at all. If it did we would not get cars rotating around a fixed central axis, cars yaw around the COG, which varies as load moves around the car. GT5:P (and many other games) model this well, GRiD does not.

What GRiD also fails to do is model the yaw at the tyres, as a result the cars rotate with almost no regard for forward velocity at all, thats the reason why you don't have to apex corners in GRiD, rather you just drive into them and slam on the brakes, turn the wheel and the car rotates pretty much on the spot and you then accelerate away.

Its not realistic at all, not in any way, shape or form.

Not only does the stiff suspension and lack of travel make the feel a bit more accurate.
No it doesn't and its incrediably miss-leading to suggest that the GT series does not model the effects of differeing suspension set-up and how the change load distribution and transfer speeds. GT5:P does so in a manner that GRiD could only wish to be able to do.

But the AI is FAR better than any AI in ANY GT games bar none. And more realistic or not; A) you're not going to out drive a Formula car in a Skyline (like you can in GT) and B) The AI never changes in GT. They always make the same moves, every race, every track. If you've raced a track long enough, you know exactly what the AI is going to do at the beginning every time... and you only need to know what the AI is going to do at the beginning because it's so damn easy to pull away once you're ahead of them... Especially if you're in equal cars. Are you kidding? Realistic? I'd rather have the realism of spontaneous AI with human-like reactions, damage that affects the way a car handles, and AI that can not only keep up, but actually pose as a challenge.
I would agree that the AI in GRiD is more challenging, but I would not agree that its more realistic at all.

Drive like the AI in GRiD and you would get black flagged by the end of the first lap. Its as wrong as GT is, just for very different reasons.

To date the only games that have come close to good AI for me are Enthusia, Ferrari Challenge and to a lesser degree F1:CE.

While GT has the best physics (of any racing game I've played) in the hands of standard automobiles, the race cars in the game have very little difference in their handling.
Its the same physics engine, it doesn't differ for road and race cars at all and the race cars have a huge difference in the way they handle. Are you honestly saying that the Mugen Civic and Panoz in GT handle the same? Both are race cars and both handle in very different ways.

The only thing that really bites me about the physics in Grid is the rain driving... I know, it's not raining while you're driving, but the roads are wet... and there's NO lack of traction and there really should be. Codemasters did a great job of changing the way the cars react depending on racing surface and weather in DiRT, I can't see why they didn't do it in Grid.
The only thing that bites me about the physics in GRiD is how utterly wrong it is in every single way. Its fine as an arcade game, but nothing about the physics model is even remotely close to being a sim.

And most of the reason I've preferred GT over any other racing game is because of the GT mode itself, not the Arcade mode, which oddly enough, most people here prefer to play in.
??????????????

Not in my experince at all, personally I have hardly ever spent time in the arcade mode at all. Spend time in the GT tuning and set-up threads and you will find many, many people who live and breath the GT mode.

Most of my enjoyment in GT comes from the hours I can spend tweaking a car to perfection and beating my best lap times as well as competing with others to do so... granted, I'm far from great, but it's the challenge of it that draws me to it. But in the end, that just simply gets too boring after not too long either.
I have say (and it is personal) that I've done the same and not got bored with it at all, but I actually prefer tuning to raceing (mainly because I'm a much better tuner that I am racer). Physics and the nuts and bolt mechanics of what makes a car go interest me to a huge degree. That is however just a side effect of my working life.

The physics on the race cars such as the LMP2 and LMP1 cars are no different from that of the same cars in Grid. They handle the same way, with the same grip, and the same lack of motion. But in essence, the lack of "tunability" in Grid puts me off a bit. I'd really like to be able to set up my cars. GT5P still has that, but not as in depth, but being a demo, I hope they bring the same setup back that they had in GT4.
GT4 Prologue had no tuning options at all, yet GT4 had the normal set-up we have come to expect, so I fully expect to see normal service back for GT5 (and fingers crossed for more).

However LMP2 and LMP1 cars in GRiD do not drive the same as the identical cars in GT4 at all. The handling and grip levels are very different (for a start GT4 has actually heard of understeer) and GT4 has at least a rudimentary understanding of load transfer, GRiD doesn't.

Yeah, but GT doesn't even make an effort... Both NASCAR, DiRT, and Grid, do. And in all actuality, GT has all the crashing featured in Grid... you just don't get damage from it... makes if far more realistic, yeah?
I don't think anyone disputes that damage in the GT series is long overdue, and the Fall/Autumn update should resolve that. However damage alone does not make GRiD more realistic as a whole.

Realistic tuning options??? Maybe setup options... but not tuning. You mean to tell me that there are three thousand different cars in the world that can have all the same aftermarket parts installed? And they're all the same price? I've been in auto and truck parts for the better part of a decade and I'm yet to see half the crap GT lets you put on the average, every-day driver. Since, of course, there's nothing like putting a 6-speed, high performance tranny in a 1984 Civic 3-door, or a locking differential... Just like the brake balance adjustment kit that you can put on your cars... It's called a knob operated proportionate vavle that you can simply put on your dashboard to control how much pressure goes where... And it doesn't cost $10K.
Are you seriously suggesting that the tinest level of detail is given to each and every tuning option, its suitability for each car and price????? Every other racing game around does exactly the same as GT in this regard, even previous versions of Race Driver did (that's right CM not only removed the ability to set-up cars but also the ability to change parts).

As for fitting parts of this nature to daily drivers, sorry but its more than possiable, if you have the money it can be done.

Here's a quaife application list that include a diff for Civics back to '88...

http://www.quaifeamerica.com/differentials/diff_apps.htm

.. and that's an off the shelf application, and here's some more...

http://www.aj-racing.com/catalog/home.php?cat=137

....to suggest that its not possiable to fit parts of this nature is simply not true. Some will be off the shelf and some would need to be custom fabricated, but almost all of them can/could be done.

And with the time it takes Polyphony to make a GT game, and the innovation that they brought to the genre in the first place, I don't see why that isn't possible. It would, in deed, be the perfect racing game, in my humble opinion. Is it really that far out of reach?
Now that I agree with.

Whoo Hoo!!! I made a post without swearing like a jerk!
Feels good doesn't it and I for one thank you.

Regards

Scaff

I don't think that anyone has said anything that would lead you to believe that we think that?

However lets get one thing 100% clear, stiffer suspension may reduce or stop body roll and heave, but what it does not stop is load transfer. And GRiD has almost no concept of load transfer in its physics model at all. If it did we would not get cars rotating around a fixed central axis, cars yaw around the COG, which varies as load moves around the car. GT5:P (and many other games) model this well, GRiD does not.

I don't know if maybe you're just not trying to push, but the weight transfer is definitely there. The rear end slides out constantly in turns, when you hit the curbing, it throws the car to the side, it definitely shows weight transfer and traction loss at speed.

What GRiD also fails to do is model the yaw at the tyres, as a result the cars rotate with almost no regard for forward velocity at all, thats the reason why you don't have to apex corners in GRiD, rather you just drive into them and slam on the brakes, turn the wheel and the car rotates pretty much on the spot and you then accelerate away.

Its not realistic at all, not in any way, shape or form.

Have you played the game on the harder difficulty settings? The harder the setting, the more it forces you to drive a much more steady line, like you would in GT. It also changes the way the car handles through the turns, and how the AI reacts to your movements. In the easier levels, you can just whip the car around anywhere you want to, and I agree that it's far from accurate. But if you're in extreme or ninja mode, you'd see quite a difference in the lines you must take and what the car does throughout the track.[/QUOTE]

No it doesn't and its incrediably miss-leading to suggest that the GT series does not model the effects of differeing suspension set-up and how the change load distribution and transfer speeds. GT5:P does so in a manner that GRiD could only wish to be able to do.

But again, you're talking about a variety of different cars from stock to formula. Of course there will be a noticeable change between the two. What I'm saying is that if you took an LMP1 car from GT and one from Grid, they feel exactly the same.

I would agree that the AI in GRiD is more challenging, but I would not agree that its more realistic at all.

Drive like the AI in GRiD and you would get black flagged by the end of the first lap. Its as wrong as GT is, just for very different reasons.
It's more realistic to me in the sense that they don't make the same moves every time in every corner. They spin out, crash, put debris on the track that you have to avoid, etc. Sometimes they'll race you clean, other times they won't. Instead of being a robot like the AI in GT, there are variables you have to watch out for. While it's not great, and it can get aggravating, it's not nearly as bad as GT penalizing you for contact whether you instigated the impact or not. Though I've read that PD might be changing that so we'll see how that goes.

To date the only games that have come close to good AI for me are Enthusia, Ferrari Challenge and to a lesser degree F1:CE.
I'll have to get those at some point when I have some extra cash.

Its the same physics engine, it doesn't differ for road and race cars at all and the race cars have a huge difference in the way they handle. Are you honestly saying that the Mugen Civic and Panoz in GT handle the same? Both are race cars and both handle in very different ways.

No, I'm not saying they handle the same way, or their speeds/times are comparable. But what I'm saying is that you can use the same marks in almost every corner to start braking, turning, accelerating, etc, regardless of the car you're in.

The only thing that bites me about the physics in GRiD is how utterly wrong it is in every single way. Its fine as an arcade game, but nothing about the physics model is even remotely close to being a sim.

And that's where I have to ask the question... Has anyone in here actually driven a race car? If not, how could you possibly know what the handling and physics of one feels like. It's easy for us to liken the physics engine of GT to our personal vehicles or others we've driving in the past because they're just every day cars. But to actually claim that the physics of a Toyota Minolta are accurate simply because the physics of a Honda Accord are is preposterous. The fact of the matter is that if you want an easy win with Grid, go to the easier modes and whip the car around all you like. Get into the harder modes and you'll notice a huge difference in the physics of the cars, especially since you're forced to drive a more realistic line.

??????????????
Not in my experince at all, personally I have hardly ever spent time in the arcade mode at all. Spend time in the GT tuning and set-up threads and you will find many, many people who live and breath the GT mode.
Almost every competition in this group has been based in Arcade mode. That's why I can't stand to participate in any of them. I like to set up my cars a specific way, and I like to take the time to tweak the hell out of them. So racing in Arcade mode is completely worthless, but that's usually all I find in here.

I have say (and it is personal) that I've done the same and not got bored with it at all, but I actually prefer tuning to raceing (mainly because I'm a much better tuner that I am racer). Physics and the nuts and bolt mechanics of what makes a car go interest me to a huge degree. That is however just a side effect of my working life.
That's mostly how I feel and that's why GT still stands out for me. I'm young, but I've been turning a wrench since I was about 12. I've built anything from a T-bucket Roadster, to a Demo Car, to a Modified, to a Mack Truck... Kind of just a progression as I've followed where the money's gone since I'm not really qualified for anything but being a grease monkey. And in today's economy it's just gotten horrible. Truckers aren't trucking as much, no one can afford to put fuel in their cars for the local dirt track races, and I've basically been stuck rebuilding a 1200cc Harley motor for a friend, the front end of my wife's bike, and doing little odds and ends here or there on my own bike... God I wish I has a nice hotrod to play with right now.:grumpy:

GT4 Prologue had no tuning options at all, yet GT4 had the normal set-up we have come to expect, so I fully expect to see normal service back for GT5 (and fingers crossed for more).

However LMP2 and LMP1 cars in GRiD do not drive the same as the identical cars in GT4 at all. The handling and grip levels are very different (for a start GT4 has actually heard of understeer) and GT4 has at least a rudimentary understanding of load transfer, GRiD doesn't.

And that's just where I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. The only track to really compare the two games is Sarth... I find both sets of cars from either game to handle very similar to one another on the track. In Grid, understeer is as much a problem as GT on that track as well. And I don't know about you, but I'm the jerk that races all of the races in GT in A-spec. I don't have a single B-spec mile on my game and I've gotten 100%. Yes, that's more than 100hrs on endurance races alone.

I don't think anyone disputes that damage in the GT series is long overdue, and the Fall/Autumn update should resolve that. However damage alone does not make GRiD more realistic as a whole.
No, it doesn't. But when you add the more human-like (or at least, less robotic) AI, along with the damage affect toward the handling and speed of your car, to me, it makes it more realistic than GT. Where (not that I do it) you can simply dive into a corner and slam into another car to get a better angle through the turn... And suffer no consequences... at least, not until GT5P, and this system is worse than not having one.

Are you seriously suggesting that the tiniest level of detail is given to each and every tuning option, its suitability for each car and price????? Every other racing game around does exactly the same as GT in this regard, even previous versions of Race Driver did (that's right CM not only removed the ability to set-up cars but also the ability to change parts).

As for fitting parts of this nature to daily drivers, sorry but its more than possiable, if you have the money it can be done.

Here's a quaife application list that include a diff for Civics back to '88...

http://www.quaifeamerica.com/differentials/diff_apps.htm

.. and that's an off the shelf application, and here's some more...

http://www.aj-racing.com/catalog/home.php?cat=137

....to suggest that its not possible to fit parts of this nature is simply not true. Some will be off the shelf and some would need to be custom fabricated, but almost all of them can/could be done.

I'm not saying it's impossible at all. I'm saying that the prices aren't going to be the exact same with every car... Not every car will have the buildable options that GT gives them. However, it's just not practical or even realistic in any way to assume anyone would do such things. I mean, sure, there's someone out there that'll try anything once, but to think that people in the masses will dish out that much money on a Civil is ridiculous. I absolutely guarantee that for the more than $150K worth of parts you can put on a Civic in GT, you can put on one in real life for no more than $20K, even $10K is more likely closer.[/QUOTE]

Now that I agree with.
Have you played GTA4 yet? If so, you know the immense amount of memory it takes up on your PS3, you also know the outrageous detail given to every little thing in the game that is far larger and advanced as a program than GT has ever been and will ever be. And RockStar has done this time and time again, and in far less time than it take PD to come out with the next GT. And while I know they're apples and oranges in most senses, they are alike in the sense that they are and have always been the leaders of their genre, the most innovative, and the most interactive by far. And while GTA has fallen short on graphics up until now, it's still been a far more complicated program overall with far more depth and detail given. This new game officially has 113 cars, with at least three variations of all of them, all highly detailed. Add that do up to 100+ other cars on the screen at one point in time, along with buildings surrounding you, lights flashing everywhere, helicopters flying overhead, the radio playing, etc, etc, all while running at full speed in 1080p, and it puts PD to shame with what it comes out with in three times the time it takes Rockstar to come out with the next best installment of GTA. And it just baffles me as to how PD just can't improve to the standards people expect.

Have you played GTA4 yet? If so, you know the immense amount of memory it takes up on your PS3, you also know the outrageous detail given to every little thing in the game that is far larger and advanced as a program than GT has ever been and will ever be. And RockStar has done this time and time again, and in far less time than it take PD to come out with the next GT. And while I know they're apples and oranges in most senses, they are alike in the sense that they are and have always been the leaders of their genre, the most innovative, and the most interactive by far. And while GTA has fallen short on graphics up until now, it's still been a far more complicated program overall with far more depth and detail given. This new game officially has 113 cars, with at least three variations of all of them, all highly detailed. Add that do up to 100+ other cars on the screen at one point in time, along with buildings surrounding you, lights flashing everywhere, helicopters flying overhead, the radio playing, etc, etc, all while running at full speed in 1080p, and it puts PD to shame with what it comes out with in three times the time it takes Rockstar to come out with the next best installment of GTA. And it just baffles me as to how PD just can't improve to the standards people expect.

You can't compare a game like GTA4 with a racing game like GT.
100 cars on screen ? WHen lol ? Didnt you notice that cars exist for like 1km maybe ? Like if you spot a car you like but dont turn around quick enough and the car vanish you wotn be able to find it again cause it has load another car at that point.

Again GTA and GT isnt something you can compares.

As for Grid, I bought it cause I saw that some D1 car were licensed and I was hoping to be able to get them even if physic wasnt that good. Sadly it was far from my expectation.

My dear Lord, you guys really can write :)

GRID is fun. End. Now everytbody rush to the nearest store and buy a damn Ferrari Challenge to have real men game. And to help Mark Cale payoff his investment too :D

Your post went a bit mad on the quotes side of things, so I edited it to sort it out for you.

I don't know if maybe you're just not trying to push, but the weight transfer is definitely there. The rear end slides out constantly in turns, when you hit the curbing, it throws the car to the side, it definitely shows weight transfer and traction loss at speed.
It doesn't matter that they try and model load transfer at all (and its basic at best), the fact that the cars rotate around a single fixed point with no regard for the yaw rotation at the tyres is totally and utterly wrong. The physics of car dynamics do not work in the manner the GRiD does.

What I have to say amazes me about your view on this, is that even the developers and publishers don't describe GRiD as being a sim. Its aimed at the arcade racer market, sorry but the physics in GRiD are not realistic.

A game can model load transfer all it wants, if it then does not use that to determine the cars COG and relate that to its impact on yaw points and roll and heave centres then it pointless. The reason why CM use this is simply because it makes cars very predictable for the driver, but it doesn't make it realistic.

Have you played the game on the harder difficulty settings? The harder the setting, the more it forces you to drive a much more steady line, like you would in GT. It also changes the way the car handles through the turns, and how the AI reacts to your movements. In the easier levels, you can just whip the car around anywhere you want to, and I agree that it's far from accurate. But if you're in extreme or ninja mode, you'd see quite a difference in the lines you must take and what the car does throughout the track.
Yes I have played it on the higher difficulty levels and while that does help slightly it does not remove the core problems with the physics engine at all.

GRiD does not punish you (regardless of the difficulty level) for over-driving the car, it simply plays with the grip limits without changing the flawed fixed rotation problem.

But again, you're talking about a variety of different cars from stock to formula. Of course there will be a noticeable change between the two. What I'm saying is that if you took an LMP1 car from GT and one from Grid, they feel exactly the same.
No that's not what I am saying at all, I am saying categorically that LMP1 cars in GRiD at GT4 do not drive the same at all.

It also worth noting (and this can easily be found on various threads around here) that I do not consider GT4's physics engine to be the greatest in teh world either. GT5:P makes significant improvements on it, yet GT4 is still a better physics engine (in terms of realism) than GRiD.

It's more realistic to me in the sense that they don't make the same moves every time in every corner. They spin out, crash, put debris on the track that you have to avoid, etc. Sometimes they'll race you clean, other times they won't. Instead of being a robot like the AI in GT, there are variables you have to watch out for. While it's not great, and it can get aggravating, it's not nearly as bad as GT penalizing you for contact whether you instigated the impact or not. Though I've read that PD might be changing that so we'll see how that goes.
AI has always been a major flaw of the GT series, that would be plain daft for anyone to deny, and yes the AI in GRiD do make mistakes. That makes it more entertaining without a doubt and adds an extra element to things, but the manner in which they drive (which is rarely clean) is not realistic.

I am again however talking with reference to previous versions of the series, which had far better AI. Every previous version of the series (TOCA and Race Driver) had AI that was both clean while being aggressive and challenging. GRiD took that and just increased the aggression, Demolition Derby is the only race type the AI is realistic in.

I'll have to get those at some point when I have some extra cash.
And once you have you will see my point in regard to the AI in GRiD, hell pick up a copy of Race Driver 3 for the PS2, that's got far more realistic AI than either GT or GRiD (and despite also using fixed point rotation on the physics is better done that GRiD).

No, I'm not saying they handle the same way, or their speeds/times are comparable. But what I'm saying is that you can use the same marks in almost every corner to start braking, turning, accelerating, etc, regardless of the car you're in.
You are aware that racing lines on a track do not vary wildly from car to car?

Yes the distances you brake from will vary (but actual tyre compound and speed will determine that as much, if not more than the car itself). The same is true to a degree of clipping, apex and throttle application points.

The silly degree of freedom that GRiD allows you is not realistic at all.

And that's where I have to ask the question... Has anyone in here actually driven a race car? If not, how could you possibly know what the handling and physics of one feels like. It's easy for us to liken the physics engine of GT to our personal vehicles or others we've driving in the past because they're just every day cars. But to actually claim that the physics of a Toyota Minolta are accurate simply because the physics of a Honda Accord are is preposterous. The fact of the matter is that if you want an easy win with Grid, go to the easier modes and whip the car around all you like. Get into the harder modes and you'll notice a huge difference in the physics of the cars, especially since you're forced to drive a more realistic line.
Yes I have, over the years I have driven a number of track and hill climb converted cars (mainly hot-hatches and saloon cars), a few open wheel race cars (Formula Ford and Caterhams), a Clio V6 Trophy (Mk1) and a Radical SR3. I've also driven a number of FWD, RWD and 4WD rally cars, in addition to a number of semi-competition spec Land Rovers.

In addition I have worked in the motor industry for well over a decade, working for manufacturers and third party companies, a good period of that has been spent in training, which has included driver training, vehicle evaluation and vehicle dynamics training. In all its given me a lot of track and proving ground experience, given me access to the majority of UK sold road cars and a very, very good understanding of exactly how a car reacts dynamically. Hell I still have my subscription to Racecar Engineering.

So I do hate to break it to you, because while the limits are of course different, the physics involved in modelling an Accord and a Le Man car, are exactly the same. race cars and road cars do not operate to differing laws of physics.

Almost every competition in this group has been based in Arcade mode. That's why I can't stand to participate in any of them. I like to set up my cars a specific way, and I like to take the time to tweak the hell out of them. So racing in Arcade mode is completely worthless, but that's usually all I find in here.
The set-up and tuning forums tell a very different story, and I have participated in a number of series here that have not used Arcade. All you have to do is step outside the OLR series.

And that's just where I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. The only track to really compare the two games is Sarth... I find both sets of cars from either game to handle very similar to one another on the track. In Grid, understeer is as much a problem as GT on that track as well. And I don't know about you, but I'm the jerk that races all of the races in GT in A-spec. I don't have a single B-spec mile on my game and I've gotten 100%. Yes, that's more than 100hrs on endurance races alone.

We will, because GRiD doesn't feel ro react the same as GT4, and is a very long way from GT5:P (and not in a good way if you are after a sim).

I'm not saying it's impossible at all. I'm saying that the prices aren't going to be the exact same with every car... Not every car will have the buildable options that GT gives them. However, it's just not practical or even realistic in any way to assume anyone would do such things. I mean, sure, there's someone out there that'll try anything once, but to think that people in the masses will dish out that much money on a Civil is ridiculous. I absolutely guarantee that for the more than $150K worth of parts you can put on a Civic in GT, you can put on one in real life for no more than $20K, even $10K is more likely closer.
So you are criticising the GT series for doing the something that every other racing series available does as well?

Actually they have tried a little, in that not every part is available for every car, nor are the prices exactly the same for the same part on differing cars. This is also a strange thing to pick the GT series up on given that GRiD doesn't even give you that, and TRD2 and 3 (which did) had the exact same issue.

Sorry but GTA4 does not run at 1080P (not even close) and it certainly doesn't maintain a steady frame rate at all, both of these are issues that it has been heavily criticised for.

Yes I have played it and its not even close to comparable, a 100% realistic vehicle handling model alone would be more the PS3 could handle, hell a 100% realistic full model damage simulator takes more power than a PS3 could muster. You seem to be massively underestimating just how complex vehicle dynamics are to model.

Regards

Scaff

Maybe I am underestimating it, but with todays technology, I really don't think so. What they've already been able to do would only lead you to believe it's possible, if not probable. GTA4 definitely runs in 1080 resolution... I thought 1080P, but I only have 1080I, furthermore, I don't really know the difference between the two... None the less, the PS3 automatically goes to the highest resolution your tv settings give it. I have standard NCST, 480P, 720P, and 1080I as options on my TV. When I pop the game in, it goes right to 1080i. So far, only GT and TT have done the same. I don't have many PS3 games yet. And frame rate speeds can differ from system to system... I have had zero frame rate issues with GTA4. I get them all the time with San Andreas, but not 4. But the main beef is that I honestly can't believe that simply concentrating on crash physics for cars could possibly take up more space than GTA4. I'd have to believe that it's far more advanced as a program than GT. GT has very limited parameters, everything that's going to be on the track will always be there and the game itself has the ability to know where you are going to be at all times... With GTA, the game has to be constantly loading for you to go wherever you please, whenever you want to. A simple way to test this is by going to a race in GT, take the disc out of the drive and you can still race. Play GTA4 and take out the disk and your character can only move for a little while before it freezes completely. The only thing that won't continue with GT is the music. But I've also seen (in person), full machines where the driver is in the seat and the physics mimic that of a real car while moving the machine to mimic it even further simultaneously. It was at an electronics expo in MA a couple of years back... professional drivers were even taking a whack at it and praising it. Granted, they could have been paid to do so also. But it looked and felt similar to GT4, but more like GT5P, but also, there weren't any real racecars that you were driving on it either, it was a Corvette.

Also, as I said before, my horizon in racing games isn't that large, so I don't even know of any other games that let you upgrade your car like GT except for NASCAR (Dirt to Daytona)... with the newer NASCAR installments, they've simplified it to a disgusting degree and taken all the interest and challenge out of the game... just, horrible.

And yes, I'm aware that race lines should differ from car to car... but at least in GT4, they don't seem to change much at all. In GT5P, I just raced it to completion and never bothered to play it anymore because the penalty system gets me far more pissed off than any game should.

But you're definitely right about the aggression of the AI in Grid. They don't race clean at all, but at least you don't get penalized when they hit you... at least not penalized by the game itself. You can still be pushed into walls, tires, etc. But the challenge is what really draws me to it.

And don't get me wrong... I'm not comparing the handling of the cars in GTA4 with that of any GT installment... they're far more basic. All I'm saying is that I really think that PD can do far better than it is, especially in the time they take to do it. And I hate to say it, but I've been starting to liken PD to EA with EA's NASCAR series... do what it takes to make the sales and nothing more... because people are going to spend the money anyway.

However, regardless of any of it; alas, Grid simply doesn't have the replay value that GT4 still has. But, nor does GT5P in my opinion. I can honestly say that I'm so far very disappointed with these "next gen" games. Halo 3 was just more of the same, Assassins Creed was great, but repetitive. GTA4, while being a great game and drastically improving in graphics, lacked so much more... and took a huge step back from everything else. DiRT was a bunch of fun, but once completed, there again, was no real reason to keep playing. GT5P so far is suffering the same feat, but I expect that to change in the full version. I'm sure there are people out there that have all the cars, etc. in GT4, whether they got them with or without codes. But in the end, that's part of what keeps me going back to that game. To earn another car, make it as fast as I can get it, and go from there. So far, none of the next gen games I've played have any real reason to play beyond the conclusion. In GTA;San Andreas, by earning 100%, you got unlimited ammo, planes, helicopters, cool cars, tanks, etc. In GTA4, you get bupkiss... At first I thought it was a glitch... so I did it again... nothing. Same with DiRT, Grid (well you do get 4 bonus cars), Assassins Creed, and a few others that I have. They get so boring so quickly.... I really hope PD breaks this trend for me. All of these publishers seem to be focusing so hard on the online multiplayer aspect of a game that they ignore the person that either wants to be left alone, or just wants to play with other friends in their house. It drives me nuts that I can't play any games with my wife, but if I wanted to, I could play with someone in China!

Sorry for the extended rant.

Maybe I am underestimating it, but with todays technology, I really don't think so. What they've already been able to do would only lead you to believe it's possible, if not probable. GTA4 definitely runs in 1080 resolution... I thought 1080P, but I only have 1080I, furthermore, I don't really know the difference between the two...

1080p
1080i

Go nuts :sly: Basically, 1080P is a progressive-scan picture, where every line is drawn, and 1080i is an "interlaced" picture, where all the odd lines are drawn, then the even lines in each frame. A 1080p is considered "full HD" because it's drawing every line in sequence each frame, so no visual information is left out. The difference is noticable from a short distance (1080i is a little "fuzzy") but lessens the further away you get 👍

However, regardless of any of it; alas, Grid simply doesn't have the replay value that GT4 still has. But, nor does GT5P in my opinion.

But GRID and GT4 are full games, GT5P is an extended demo. I'd expect GT5 to have even better replay value than GT4. It also seems you're missing out not racing online, if you've basically stopped playing after getting all the cars. Yes the penalty system is annoying and yes you get the occasional punter but check the online section of the GT5P forum and look for times you can race some GTP regulars, you'll find some brilliant racing.

GTA4 definitely runs in 1080 resolution...

Sorry but it doesn't. GTA4 runs at 630 and is then upscalled to 1080P, just as COD4, Halo and a whole bunch of other titles are.

http://game-on-game.com/gta-4-goes-1120x630-on-ps3/

Do not for a second trust the resolution that the TV tells you, for example if you pop a DVD in you PS3 the TV will tell you that its 1080i (in your case or 1080P for me). Now we know that's simply not true, a DVD does not have a native resolution of 1080, its maximum is 576 (for PAL). All that happens is that your PS3 (or any DVD upscaller) is 'filling' in the missing resolution to show it at 1080.

GTA4 is not a 1080 resolution game, and while GT5:P runs at a much higher resolution its still not true full screen 1080p...

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-76181.aspx

...moral of the story, don't believe everything written on the back of a game box.

Regards

Scaff

I don't want to hera anything about breaking spots and proper corner negotiation. truth is if your at the back of the pack and you want in front, you have to drive outside that line from time to time because honestly turns and corners can be the best places to pass in certain situations. I hear you guys bitch about getting slammed by other cars. Welcome to the race gentlemen, put down your purse, insert your feminine hygeine product, get in your car shut your mouth and race. Unless needle point is more your style, then by all mean pick that purse back up and leave the racing to the men. I love it when the race line gets all 🤬 up because a car broke grip in mid turn. Then you have to hope you can see through the smoke well enough to keep from running into stalled or busted car. BEtter yet, the car right in front of you gets picked up by the wind and comes flying right at you giving you 1/1000s of a second or less to avoid disaster. That is the race, thats what its all about. I don't get why everyone labels it "arcadey" the accelleration is realistic, the way it breaks grip is dead on as well as braking.

1) "I don't want to hear anything about breaking points" tells me you don't really care about real racing, in REAL and I mean REAL FREAKING RACING braking points, throttle control, and your line ARE EVERYTHING! And I REALLY DO KNOW what I am talking about. You want to catch the dude in front of you, watch where you brake know the limits of your car, so that you can use throttle control accordingly, in order to get the BEST exit speed to CATCH the guy in front of you.

2) "I hear you guys bitch about getting slammed by other cars" Ok, who the HELL do you think you are buddy? We only talk about when someone rams into us going 100mph into a 20mph turn. I mean seriously, at least understand what we mean before going on a rant like that.

3) "I don't get why everyone labels it "arcadey" the accelleration is realistic, the way it breaks grip is dead on as well as braking" I have played GRiD and no, this statement is NOT correct. the acceleration is NOT realistic and breaking the car loose? NOT EVEN CLOSE. GT5:P is not perfect by any means. But holy crap it is better than GRiD.

Luke

My first take on GRID is on the 5th page of this thread. Now I'm on my 27th season on GRID World and instead of racing in the normal mode, I race against the savage AI opponents. I'm still using the gamepad instead of my G25 and I've resigned to the fact that I'll never be able to drive the cars in the game with a steering wheel and that's fine by me. I've done all the races but drift is the one that will always elude me. I love the muscle cars and hate the prototypes. And I have been playing GT5P alongside GRID and I found that both games compliment each other splendidly. I pull GT5P when I have time to spare and when there's little or no distraction while GRID is the game that I play when I'm in the middle of doing different things where it becomes the distraction. But which of the two would I take to that proverbial desert island. I would be hard pressed to pick between the two but if I have to do it, despite its overwhelming flaws and incompleteness, GT5P to me, has that certain indelible quality while GRID, perhaps because the more Arcade nature of the game and the fact that while it's a fun game, the cars or rather the control of it, makes it less involving than GT5P. Just today in GT5P, I spent the whole afternoon at a single track, Fuji Speedway, while trying the different cars in my Garage and regardless of the fact that I've been playing this game for the last four months, I was still enthralled by the experience.
I'm glad that after being dissapointed by the GRID demo, I went ahead and bought the full game and it has been one of the best racing game I've ever played.

Im about on my 18th season,having completed every single championship now.All i enjoy doing is drifting online.Its great fun imo

Haha, I know it got posted earlier in this thread, it made me laugh horrendously hard. :lol:

Luke

Sorry red i didnt know, theres that much info on the topic just really couldnt be bothered to go though and read it all, but parts ive been reading is true and some not so.

I've said my part but at the end of the day, people will always be different in some way or another lets face it your either a sim guy or not same goes for arcade.

lucky im abit of both if its done in the right way to let me have a bit of fun.

For instance GT5P great game great graphics for what it is (which is a prologue) only issue i have with the game is the online part of it and maybe collecting/saving up money for the cars and going back over and over to buy just one car, but i see that as experiants in the long run.

I just think people expect way to much out of a game now days arcade or simulation, be happy with what you have got because if it was'nt there then you would have something to complain about same goes to myself "got you thinkin ah?"

Now GRID yet again another great game and by all mean not perfect, issues with online again...for exsample bluetooth headset cutting out once in a while and when ghosting though over racers cars you cant see hardly see from time to time.

All im gonna say now is this if u dont like a game or you think that something is better in one way or another, thats your opinion everyone one has one and every has a right to it. That im sure everyone can agree with me on.

Now lets stop the arguements and instead of putting a downer on everything how about we talk about what we do like about the game instead of what we dont like for a change ah?

(Please note this is not directed at anyone)

My Two Cents

Last edited:
The video there is good for GRID fans cause it actually makes them feel better. Then I just comment and make them look at this thread:) End of story

When I started this thread, I never thought it would continue on with such great information mixed with so much disrespect and drivel. Now to answer your question for the second paragraph, I have raced in real cars, real race cars, and motorcycles and I will let you know that the weight trasfer is not right in GRID (loateral or longitudinal). You mention that the cars slide the rear end - that's part of the problem. Just try this. Go to the High Speed Ring in a GT-R and ccharge through turn 1 and 2 to get the car to get into turn 2 properly, just relax the throttle a little and the weight transfers just enough to settle the car. If you let completely off the throttle, the weight transfers to the front, the back picks up and the car goes into a serious oversteer. At the bottom of the curve, punch the throttle and the car "sits" with just a touch of oversteer. Now charge into turn 3, dive to the inside, brake and downshift and feel how the weight of the car surges to the outside (center) of the track and the back end gets very light and wants to step out - it wants to turn in very hard, then push. Roll the accelerator in and the car settles and you can induce the proper amount of understeer to get the car controlled. After you get that down, now try the same move in the Ferrari or the Corvette - you are sure to spin one, or both, of them.

You cannot feel that kind of transfer in ANY car, on ANY track, in ANY setting in GRID because the physics engine does not take several factors into consideration (all have been discussed in this thread in past postings - mostly by Scaff). Believe me, when you are in a real car (race car or otherwise) the loading will make the car behave differently under braking, turning, acceleration, offtrack, and in a slide (spin). You feel and see them dive, roll, squat, sit, and yaw as you drive them at their limits. You feel the dynamics of the suspension, you feel the roll/yaw of the tires, and you get feedback through the steering wheel. Now if you can feel all that in GRID, the you have a much more active imagination than I. Right now, I own 6 cars and 7 motorcycles. You know what? They all feel different, they drive differently, have different suspensions and tires, and they all behave much differently when pushed to their limits. THAT kind of stuff doesn't exist in GRID, but it is closely simulated in games like Gran Turismo, Test Drive Unlimited, Enthusia, GTR2, and Race 07.

Oddly, some of those same factors WERE considered and very well represented in TOCA Race Driver 2 and 3. Because of the TOCA series and all the media hype, I expected the same, or better, from GRID. It didn't happen - it was too arcadish, so I was DISAPPOINTED aand I took it back and started this thread. The reason I didn't like it was personal preference and disappointment. GRID is a good game for what it was intended, but it is not what many of us expected out of Codemaster after having seen what they were truly capable of producing. It is not the kind of racing that many of us enjoy. Despite all the debate to the contrary, I am still disappointed with GRID - it does not measure up to the hype.

Oh, and as far as the GRID vs GT video on youtube, I laughed my butt off. However, I would rather have the challenge of setting up and racing the underpowered little stockers against equal drivers and close simulation of the cars than race the most powerful of the GRID offerings in any venue that they offered. THAT is my vanilla ice cream preference to your chocolate cake offering. They are THAT different.

Oh, and by the way. Why is it that when some people run out of logical, intelligent argument in a debate, why do they so readily start in with personal attacks and insults (or efforts thereof) like calling the rest of us "fanboys". That is SO lame and weak. I AM a fan of GT, but think, that at my age and experience level (61 years old, 45 years of experience) I at least deserve to be called fanman. But I guess that kind of respect isn't going to come from people who have no respect.

To all the rest of you, thanks for the great input and information (even those that were GRID supporters. Even if we don't agree with one another, it gives us reason to consider another view.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never heard someone explain it so perfectly.:tup:That is as close as you can get to explain what happens in a real race car when the weight transfers under braking and turning. Once everyone understands this, they will have a better chance of improving thier time. I do not own Grid and have only the demo to compare to. I was not impressed with the demo, that is why I do not own it today. So to all that enjoy Grid, good for you.:)The same to all that enjoy GT5P. Just be open to a different view once and awhile.

Last edited:
When I started this thread, I never thought it would continue on with such great information mixed with so much disrespect and drivel. Now to answer your question for the second paragraph, I have raced in real cars, real race cars, and motorcycles and I will let you know that the weight trasfer is not right in GRID (loateral or longitudinal). You mention that the cars slide the rear end - that's part of the problem. Just try this. Go to the High Speed Ring in a GT-R and ccharge through turn 1 and 2 to get the car to get into turn 2 properly, just relax the throttle a little and the weight transfers just enough to settle the car. If you let completely off the throttle, the weight transfers to the front, the back picks up and the car goes into a serious oversteer. At the bottom of the curve, punch the throttle and the car "sits" with just a touch of oversteer. Now charge into turn 3, dive to the inside, brake and downshift and feel how the weight of the car surges to the outside (center) of the track and the back end gets very light and wants to step out - it wants to turn in very hard, then push. Roll the accelerator in and the car settles and you can induce the proper amount of understeer to get the car controlled. After you get that down, now try the same move in the Ferrari or the Corvette - you are sure to spin one, or both, of them.

You cannot feel that kind of transfer in ANY car, on ANY track, in ANY setting in GRID because the physics engine does not take several factors into consideration (all have been discussed in this thread in past postings - mostly by Scaff). Believe me, when you are in a real car (race car or otherwise) the loading will make the car behave differently under braking, turning, acceleration, offtrack, and in a slide (spin). You feel and see them dive, roll, squat, sit, and yaw as you drive them at their limits. You feel the dynamics of the suspension, you feel the roll/yaw of the tires, and you get feedback through the steering wheel. Now if you can feel all that in GRID, the you have a much more active imagination than I. Right now, I own 6 cars and 7 motorcycles. You know what? They all feel different, they drive differently, have different suspensions and tires, and they all behave much differently when pushed to their limits. THAT kind of stuff doesn't exist in GRID, but it is closely simulated in games like Gran Turismo, Test Drive Unlimited, Enthusia, GTR2, and Race 07.

Oddly, some of those same factors WERE considered and very well represented in TOCA Race Driver 2 and 3. Because of the TOCA series and all the media hype, I expected the same, or better, from GRID. It didn't happen - it was too arcadish, so I was DISAPPOINTED aand I took it back and started this thread. The reason I didn't like it was personal preference and disappointment. GRID is a good game for what it was intended, but it is not what many of us expected out of Codemaster after having seen what they were truly capable of producing. It is not the kind of racing that many of us enjoy. Despite all the debate to the contrary, I am still disappointed with GRID - it does not measure up to the hype.

Oh, and as far as the GRID vs GT video on youtube, I laughed my butt off. However, I would rather have the challenge of setting up and racing the underpowered little stockers against equal drivers and close simulation of the cars than race the most powerful of the GRID offerings in any venue that they offered. THAT is my vanilla ice cream preference to your chocolate cake offering. They are THAT different.

Oh, and by the way. Why is it that when some people run out of logical, intelligent argument in a debate, why do they so readily start in with personal attacks and insults (or efforts thereof) like calling the rest of us "fanboys". That is SO lame and weak. I AM a fan of GT, but think, that at my age and experience level (61 years old, 45 years of experience) I at least deserve to be called fanman. But I guess that kind of respect isn't going to come from people who have no respect.

To all the rest of you, thanks for the great input and information (even those that were GRID supporters. Even if we don't agree with one another, it gives us reason to consider another view.

Epic. That's the only word I can think of. :drool: Amazing post. 👍

Luke

.....Oddly, some of those same factors WERE considered and very well represented in TOCA Race Driver 2 and 3. Because of the TOCA series and all the media hype, I expected the same, or better, from GRID. It didn't happen - it was too arcadish, so I was DISAPPOINTED ....
I was "in love" with the Toca games, even Toca 1 / Toca 2 from 1997/1998 (PSX). I was very disappointed when Codemasters stopped the Toca-series. Grid is a something else, and for me it don’t feel “right”.
I still drive Toca Race Driver 3 on my PS2 (prosim), and the online part is nearly perfect!

I`m not a big fan of the Gran Turismo games, but maybe I will be it one day…. But on my PS3 is it only one game these days.... GT5P :)

Polyphony Digital: We need Voice Chat and private rooms online. Time trials/drifting listings on nation basis will also help a bit.... And hat about tire ware and pit stop?
:)

I agree with sxboyd that GRID isn't realistic and offers a different sort of experience, and frankly, GeoQuin4 has no idea what he's talking about, but I'm not sure what makes sxboyd's post "epic." I also still disagree with him and the others when he says GRID was a disappointment after TRD2 or TRD3 -- they're all arcadey, they're all unrealistic, it's just that TRD2/TRD3 are arcadey in a boring, sim-like way, and GRID is arcadey in an in-your-face, intense way. GRID is still far, far more enjoyable, IMO. TRD2 and TRD3 feel like piloting a hovercraft.

So again, I respect your opinion, sxboyd, but like with everyone else, I'm not sure where you got the expectation that GRID would be realistic at all.

I'd say that many of us had the expectation that GRID would be at least half-way realistic as that's something that the Codemasters franchise has focused on for some time, even if the handling has been subtley more arcadey (or, "accessible", in some camps) with each incarnation. I've talked about TRD/2/3 before and I certainly find the handling in those games more realistic than that in GRID, so the fact that GRID went all-out arcade was maybe a shock to some people.

I downloaded the demo and played it for 5minutes..... I want those 5 minutes of my life back..... I would seriously rather play Porsche Challenge than this 'game'. It was talked up to be so awesome, seriously the most unrealistic racing game yet. -11 / 10

I even got the whole game for 4 days before returning it to the store. I missed the vital info about the "sim" parts that was missing. Stuff like pitstops, fuel strategies and tire wear. GRID is not that bad, but Codemasters did a "wonderful" job advertising it as sim. <- Sarcasm

I would seriously rather play Porsche Challenge than this 'game'.

Off topic, but Porsche Challenge was awesome :D I hope they bring that back on PSN like they did with Wipeout. Actually, on topic, it'd be great if they allowed download of the original TOCA games too. Now they're some Codemasters racers worth playing.

I agree with sxboyd that GRID isn't realistic and offers a different sort of experience, and frankly, GeoQuin4 has no idea what he's talking about, but I'm not sure what makes sxboyd's post "epic." I also still disagree with him and the others when he says GRID was a disappointment after TRD2 or TRD3 -- they're all arcadey, they're all unrealistic, it's just that TRD2/TRD3 are arcadey in a boring, sim-like way, and GRID is arcadey in an in-your-face, intense way. GRID is still far, far more enjoyable, IMO. TRD2 and TRD3 feel like piloting a hovercraft.

So again, I respect your opinion, sxboyd, but like with everyone else, I'm not sure where you got the expectation that GRID would be realistic at all.

I think that the point that Sxboyd is trying to make is that it was advertised as a driving sim. And, just like me, being a racer of real cars, had high hopes for the game. After I tried the demo and Sxboyd purchased the game we were highly disappointed with the results. GT5P gives us what we are use to during a race. ( as close as a game can get ) That is why it might seem like our views are one sided. I enjoyed TRD3 because of the people I met online, not for the game play. I never finished the off line part of the game because of the way it felt. There is a ton of people who enjoy the arcade racing games and all the power to them. So to all that enjoy Grid:tup: If there was no arcade style race games, it would be quite boring. Just think, all sim driving games, there wouldn't be GTPlanet today. I respect everyone's views on what they think is the best driving game out. It makes some great reading and some great discussions.:)

How many out there still do TRD3 online? I haven't been online for sometime.

Last edited:
Back