GT5p vs GRID (First, and only, take)

• Thread starter sxboyd
  • 298 comments
I don't know about any of you but GeoQuin4's take on GRID was one of the most entertaining pieces I have read for some time.

Don't get me wrong GRID has its place and races can be enjoyable, but to claim its realistic. Come on admit you were joking.

The original Toca was much more realistic. I loved that game, even the silly tank you could get.

They really should get someone to make a game like race07 on consoles.

I don't know about any of you but GeoQuin4's take on GRID was one of the most entertaining pieces I have read for some time.

Don't get me wrong GRID has its place and races can be enjoyable, but to claim its realistic. Come on admit you were joking.

The original Toca was much more realistic. I loved that game, even the silly tank you could get.

SimBin will be releasing what is essentially, Race 07, on the X360 very soon under another name.

Haven't heard that but I know that GTR was orignally going to be out on 360 April 2007, still waiting on that Lol.

I would love some good tin top racing, Ferrari Challenge is good but we really need some slower cars for this if you know what i am getting at, for the same reason I suppose as the 500pp races were entertaing.

You should check out Ferrari Challenge, if you havent done already. While its not quite Race 07, its pretty close to being the best Race sim aviable on the PS3 now.

Haven't heard that but I know that GTR was orignally going to be out on 360 April 2007, still waiting on that Lol.

I would love some good tin top racing, Ferrari Challenge is good but we really need some slower cars for this if you know what i am getting at, for the same reason I suppose as the 500pp races were entertaing.
GTR won't ever be coming out. However, the game I was talking about from SimBin is called Race Pro.
http://www.forzacentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29638

It might be what you're looking for. :)

That would be nice. Games like GT Legends, GTR2, Test Drive Unlimited, and Race07 are deserving of more attention and a good platform, though the PC works fine - but who is really set up to run those games the way they are designed?

I have not seen the Ferrari Challenge. Is it for the PS3? Who coded it? Is it available in the US? I would love to have more of this stuff - great fun.

That's got to be the biggest load of poo I have ever read regarding GRID. You're practically saying GRID is actually realistic in its physics engine that you can set a lap time close to the real world's.

As for your 2nd to last sentence, you have to do the same thing in GT5:P.

No, you don't. If you take a Ferrari 599 to Suzuka, right off the first straight, if you hit the brakes right at the white line going into turn one, you'll take the apex perfectly. The same goes for every other car I've driven in the game... the Viper, Skylines, etc.

Really? Because the nightly races held here say otherwise.

Are these races where you're actually online, or are you just comparing lap times? If it is online, I've never been in a race where someone wasn't deliberately trying to wreck people.

Must be your experience, then. I've never had the AI hit me. In fact, they do their best to avoid me when they know they're faster.

I'm constantly getting hit by the AI. Especially in the Super class. Even when I completely change my line to give them as much room as possible, they still slide into me.

Ugh, pretty sure we had similar lists in all the GTs that said what was & wasn't allowed.

Yeah, where, here? Not in the game... Some races will tell you what cars you need. And even still, in GT5P, after buying all the other cars you had to in order to get to the Super class, you still had to race repeatedly to get enough for the 599, and then even more to get the other required cars for the Super class races.

Oh goody! A system that basically lets you go back in time. Yeah, that's super realistic.

I'm not saying that's the part that's realistic... I said the handling was.

Simply untrue.

Of course, not. But you can go back in time which is practically the same thing to me.

Yes, but if you go back in time, the cars always change... unlike in GT where they are always in the same place no matter how many times you restart.

How can GRID beat GT5 in every shape or form when GRID is nothing but arcade racing?

Grid beats GT5 because of what it allows you to do and what it doesn't take away from you. It's far less arcade-like than NFS or Ridge Racer (which is 🤬 horrible by the way). And it's way less boring. GT5 is simply the same old stuff that GT4 was, just a little polished and shinier. There's no excitement in it, there is no sense of speed, and the penalties make me want to throw my controller through the TV. If I hit another car, or 🤬 myself up and fly off the track, then I deserve any penalty that the game gives me, but I just can't stand when the AI causes me to crash and ruins my race because of it. GT5 is simply more of the same, same cars, tracks, 🤬 soundtrack, generic tuning, etc. Just read the reviews gaming magazines have given between them. 🤬, even NASCAR '09 got a higher rating than GT5P, and NASCAR is HORRIBLE!!! However, to be fair, I've never played Toca... In fact, I've never been outside of Burnout, GT, NFS, NASCAR, and Ridge Racer until now. Either way, it takes the best qualities of all of those games and puts them together and more. Grid isn't purely arcade racing, and the editors agree. It's at the very least a "sim-leaning" (GI) game.

Personally if GT heads in the direction GRiD has been taken by CM then I will want nothing to do with it at all, just as many want nothing to do with the F1 game they are now going to put out (for exactly the same reason - they want a sim not an arcade game).

Regards

Scaff

I guess I would have to agree with you on most points. After putting GT back in, it's definitely an unbelievable improvement. I guess I was more or less basing the physics on my non-stop GTA4 stint I'd been on since it's release.

McLaren & Scaff have already done a great job of dissecting and exposing GeoQuin4's unique take on these games, but the reality is that there are a lot of people like GeoQuin4, who , while they may not admit it, prefer arcade like racing games, what with all the "excitement" they can offer with their exaggerated gameplay, and over the top crashes, and you know what, there is nothing wrong with really enjoying those kinds of games.

Until recently, after downloading the Grid demo, I'd pretty much exclusively played GT, from it's very first release. I'll give NFS, NASCAR and others a short burst and be done with it, and go back to GT to learn it all again.

However, as pointed out by both McLaren and Scaff, and many others, you really do a disservice to the validity of your own opinion when you make such absurd comments, and *exaggerate or make up facts in order to support your opinion.

* Something unfortunately many of the same small cast of characters do when criticizing GT over and over again... including GT5P although curiously they only have XBL tags, but no PSN tags... hmmm possible motivation?

Geoquin4 is my PSN

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, there is plenty about GRiD to enjoy, and for those that prefer that style of game, then it is equally understandable why many gamers will prefer GRiD over GT5P. It also doesn't hurt GRiD being a multiplatform game that those who don't own a PS3 but do own a 360 can enjoy as well. 👍

The important thing to remember is that while based on personal preference, you can prefer GRiD and another person can prefer GT5P, and you would be both right. The problem occurs when someone exaggerates and or falsify facts in order to make their personal preference more meaningful. Doing so not only makes your opinion less meaningful to those who know better, but it can also mislead others who may not know any better and may very well regurgitate the same false info in other posts, and this is how false facts get perpetuated through this and other forums... and is also why the first rule in GTP's AUP is:

What am I exaggerating? The accuracy of the physics? Fair enough, but everything else involved in the game brings it above GT5P in many ways.

While the vast majority of GTP members abide by this rule, which is one of the reasons this place is a good deal better than most forums, especially when it comes to getting accurate and informative information, and the civil discussions that often come from such posts. However, and unfortunately, there is also a small group of GTP members who often disregard this rule, and often promote heated and uncivilized arguments.

[/soap box]

I wasn't intentionally trying to start an uncivilized argument in any way shape or form. Although, it certainly seems like you are. I have not attacked any person in particular here, just the game. And instead of simply rebutting my comments, attacking my personality or experiences with games is juvenile at best. And I'm not just calling you out as an individual.

I've argued pretty hard in favour of GT5P in this topic so far, but I honestly can't add anything to the above three posts. GeoQuin4's post, be it his opinion or his genuine belief, was way off the mark, and doesn't show much evidence of having read the previous twelve pages of discussion on the GT5P vs. GRID debate...

No, I only read the very first post, and stated my opinion based on my experience with the game. The rest of the discussion is irrelevant.

From the looks of it, I guess I really need to broaden my racing gaming experience from just the small library I have. I have no idea what PGR, Toca, or most of the other games people are talking about are. So I guess I'll have to start looking for them. Either way, GT4 is still easily the best game I've ever played, and from what I'm seeing with GT5P, there will be no point in spending the money if it's just more of the same. It could also be that I'm blind, but with the HD setup, the graphics between GT4 and GT5P are marginal, so I really don't see myself shelling out the money for a repetitive piece. So far, every GT game has taken a step forward until now. GT5 just doesn't stack up. And while GT4 is my all-time favorite (and imo the best ever) racing game, Grid is definitely the most fun, competitive, entertaining and complete racing game I've played in a long time.

Grid beats GT5 because of what it allows you to do and what it doesn't take away from you. It's far less arcade-like than NFS or Ridge Racer (which is 🤬 horrible by the way). And it's way less boring. GT5 is simply the same old stuff that GT4 was, just a little polished and shinier. There's no excitement in it, there is no sense of speed, and the penalties make me want to throw my controller through the TV. If I hit another car, or 🤬 myself up and fly off the track, then I deserve any penalty that the game gives me, but I just can't stand when the AI causes me to crash and ruins my race because of it. GT5 is simply more of the same, same cars, tracks, 🤬 soundtrack, generic tuning, etc. Just read the reviews gaming magazines have given between them. 🤬, even NASCAR '09 got a higher rating than GT5P, and NASCAR is HORRIBLE!!! However, to be fair, I've never played Toca... In fact, I've never been outside of Burnout, GT, NFS, NASCAR, and Ridge Racer until now. Either way, it takes the best qualities of all of those games and puts them together and more. Grid isn't purely arcade racing, and the editors agree. It's at the very least a "sim-leaning" (GI) game.

No one is disputing that you are allowed to prefer one game over another, it was your claims that GRiD was a more realistic sim than GT5:P that has picked up the most feedback.

GRiD has sim leanings in that it has real tracks and cars in it, its handling model is not sim like in any way shape or form, and that for me is the core requirement.

Hell I like arcade racers as well as sims, but for me GRiD was a massive let down in both regards (and I say as much in the GRiD thread), being stuck between the two.

As far as reviews go, well I take any gaming magazine review of sims with a huge pinch of salt, most don't review for the accuracy of the handling model. One look at the reviews that Enthusia got will quickly show that.

Comparing GT5:P and GRiD is, for me, as pointless as comparing GT5:P and Ridge Racer. Sim and arcade just don't mix, and the one thing GRiD is not at all is a sim.

From the looks of it, I guess I really need to broaden my racing gaming experience from just the small library I have. I have no idea what PGR, Toca, or most of the other games people are talking about are. So I guess I'll have to start looking for them. Either way, GT4 is still easily the best game I've ever played, and from what I'm seeing with GT5P, there will be no point in spending the money if it's just more of the same. It could also be that I'm blind, but with the HD setup, the graphics between GT4 and GT5P are marginal, so I really don't see myself shelling out the money for a repetitive piece. So far, every GT game has taken a step forward until now. GT5 just doesn't stack up. And while GT4 is my all-time favorite (and imo the best ever) racing game, Grid is definitely the most fun, competitive, entertaining and complete racing game I've played in a long time.

I have to disagree about the difference between GT4 and GT5:P, the physics engine is a huge step forward and graphically the two are chalk and cheese.

As far as other racing titles to look at, well that depends on which direction you want to go, more arcade or sim. If its the sim direction then I owuld recommend Ferrari Challenge when it gets a US release.

Regards

Scaff

You should check out Ferrari Challenge, if you havent done already. While its not quite Race 07, its pretty close to being the best Race sim aviable on the PS3 now.

Hey klondike, I have Ferrari Challenge it is a great game.

But what i would really love is a 2 litre Touring Car game, a BTCC game would be just fantastic, I know a lot of British Circuits aren't too well known, but would love a blast around croft, snetterton and donington online.

In race driver 3 my favourite series was the clio cup, played that split screen constantly.

Hopefully when GT5 comes we will be able to set up races like that depending on what race models are available.

Actually even on gt5p would be great to have an Integra Type R race around eiger, allowing race tyres, would make for some close fun racing. A bit of contact would have to expected Jason Plato and Matt Neal style lol

Good lord, people are still grinding this into the ground? :lol:

Truth is I find both games kinda blow in their present state. GRiD, while being complete (snicker snicker) has the worst online MP in existence. GT5P, is well, just plain boring now. The game is missing way to many 'sim' elements that would truly make it spectacular even as a 'demo'. I do agree with whoever posted the comment that it's just GT4 'more polished and shiny'. Of the two games GRiD is more fun to play offline I think, there's just more going on in the races, GT5P is very static in its environment, it's like racing in a vacuum, hard to describe, but it's there.

PD had better implement pretty much every single thing that's been mentioned as far as in-game features go, weather, damage, 24 hr day, full tuning, etc or the game is simply not going to live up to the hype. GT5P is not the 'best' driving/racing game out there at the moment, not even close.

I guess we'll see when it's finally released in full form.

No, I only read the very first post, and stated my opinion based on my experience with the game. The rest of the discussion is irrelevant

If the rest of the discussion was irrelevant then you might not be 'eating your words' on the subject, in reply to all the posts from people who've been discussing the game since page one. Your comments just seemed like an unusual take on the game given the last 13 pages of debate on the sim/arcade subject.

Kudos on vowing to expand your gaming horizons though, I think you've missed out on a lot of great games that may well enlighten you as to the problems many of us have with GRID.

GT5P is actually a very big change from GT4: the PHYSICS are hugely improved, which has made the game very significantly more challenging & interesting. The other big change is the addition of (admittedly flawed) online mode. A lot of the other features are very similar to GT4 (like the terrible offline game-play mode), with, however, a VERY limited track line-up :indiff:

I think the major complaint of most people on here, with regard to GRID, is that the physics are just too simplistic - not a problem if you're happy with a more arcade-based game.

the game is simply not going to live up to the hype

And considering some of the ridiculous amount of hype generated by rabid fans and ultra high demands by staunch critics... no game will ever live up to it... at least in the minds of some people.

Ya I know 'inside' it's way way more advanced, and that's the problem. The game feels for the most part like a polished GT4. Obviously there are many changes to the physics of the game, but I just don't think it all translates into a 'super out of this world nuclear powered fantastical' racing game.

Living up to the 'public' hype is never going to happen, I'm talking about PD's hype, about how they keep going on about how advanced it is.

Just like to be blown away by the whole thing is all. When I pull into the pits at Sarthe I want to have to hit the pit box and I want to see people running around and 'feel' the work being done.. :lol:

If I'm driving and it starts raining I want there to be wet and dry segments of the track as I make my way around. Likewise as the sun goes down and the track cools I expect my tire grip to alter. 👍

Hell I want to see bug splatters on the windshield! Driver fatigue should be in there as well, if I'm driving like a maniac sawing the wheel, that's going to make my arms tired so steering should be a little tougher.👍

They are coding a game for supposedly the most advanced gaming platform on the market, let see what they got! :cheers:

GRiD's physics aren't quite as simple as they first appear. Not the level of 'realism' as GT5, but not Mario Kart either. :)

Precisely SR, thanks for that. The simple fact of the matter is that differences or not, GT5P has no challenge to it at all, especially not in comparison to GT4.

Grid's physics also change slightly with difficulty settings. You'll notice that the other cars aren't racing any faster, you're just forced to take a better line and race better over all.

The reason Polyphony Digital will never live up to the hype is because they refuse (seemingly) to take in any comments from the gamers. And despite any advancements made, it's just simply boring now... and needs a lot of work to make it worth having at all. Overall, from my very first experience with online racing (NFSU2), I've experienced people that just plain don't care and make fun out of ruining it for everyone else. And this trend has continued with every racing game that I've played online to date, and quite frankly, it's not an exciting way to play at all... and it really should be. I should be able to hop into an online session and play with other people that are at least willing to try and race right. They don't have to be 100% serious, but I shouldn't have to deal with jerks either. And that in itself takes all the appeal away. But above all things, the main reason I like Grid so much is the adjustable difficulty level. GT5 (or 4) wouldn't have been nearly as boring if it was more challenging. But I understand that in the same instance, if it is more challenging, less people are willing to buy it. So that's why they need it to be adjustable. Personally, I felt that GT1 was the hardest out of all of them. GT3, was definitely more challenging than 2 and 4. And the only real difference with 4 (discluding physics and graphics) were the extended endurance races that I particularly loved to race in A-spec mode (all of them). In fact, I really think the B-spec mode took away from some of the pride in the game. A person could reach 100% either way, which made it kind of suck a bit. I'm glad to not see that in GT5 so far. Other than that, with all of the other GT installments in my library, I really don't see the point in buying GT5 when it's released. GT5P was already an expensive enough disappointment. Not much different from GTA4... another hyped up game that just doesn't live up.

But when it comes down to it, I'm somewhat faced with a strange question to ask myself. What type of racing game to I prefer? I hate Ridge Racer, Need for Speed (although I keep buying them?), Test Drive (just remembered I'd played those), and NASCAR games... with the exception of Dirt to Daytona; the final Papyrus installment in the series before EA took over and ruined it. When it comes down to it, until the release of DiRT and now Grid, I've never liked a racing game outside of GT. I mean, I must admit I found the first few Burnout games entertaining, but not in a serious manner at all, and they've lost their appeal in their last two installments as well. I'll always regret buying Burnout Paradise even after not enjoying the demo. But the simple fact of the matter is that Grid and DiRT take racing to a different level... maybe a different genre in itself altogether, but it's just plainly more fun and entertaining. I don't feel like I'm going to fall asleep after playing for a half hour... and that's how I feel with GT5P, it's boring, it's easy, and the only competition I can get is either online or on here... And when it comes down to it, back in the previous generation, games topped out at around $40... not much of an investment to make for a mildly entertaining game. But in todays economy, with car payments, rising fuel prices, mortgages, etc. I want to spend my dollar on something I'll enjoy, not something that'll put me to sleep... I have pills for that.

Cheers

I just don't think it all translates into a 'super out of this world nuclear powered fantastical' racing game.

Living up to the 'public' hype is never going to happen, I'm talking about PD's hype, about how they keep going on about how advanced it is.

Not advanced to someone who expects a 'super out of this world nuclear powered fantastical' racing game.... although I think you'll have an unbelievably hard time trying to find any press release or any quote from Kaz even suggesting that GT5P is a 'super out of this world nuclear powered fantastical' racing game.... and is just another example of how badly some people exaggerate, hype, and have unreasonable expectations... especially when they appear to disregard the size, scope, and complexity of modern game design, development, and programming... or expect a "prologue" game to have all the features they want and expect from a "full" game. :indiff:

No game will ever satisfy everyone, and what you may consider to be "best" another person may consider to be "worst"... and vice versa.

Just like to be blown away by the whole thing is all. When I pull into the pits at Sarthe I want to have to hit the pit box and I want to see people running around and 'feel' the work being done.. :lol:

I like that as well. 👍 Although the only console racing game that I know of that has real interactive pit stops is F1CE... and in fact there are no pit stops at all in GRiD... even with their "24 Hours of Le Mans" race. :odd:

Hell I want to see bug splatters on the windshield! Driver fatigue should be in there as well, if I'm driving like a maniac sawing the wheel, that's going to make my arms tired so steering should be a little tougher.👍
:)

Yes... and let's not forget working reverse and turing lights, glove compartments that open, cigarette lighters (yes, they still exist), wiper fluid that needs to be refilled, adjustable rear view mirror so SR can put on her make up, etc, etc ,etc.

Because after all, not only are these important things to have during a heated race, but without them a game is nothing more than a.... game? ;)

The simple fact of the matter is that differences or not, GT5P has no challenge to it at all, especially not in comparison to GT4.

I'm not going to insult you by presuming you believe Prologue to be anything but a demo of the full GT5, and as such your comment that GT5P isn't a challenge confuses me a bit. I wasn't expecting to be blown away by it, maybe you were, and I'm saving my anticipation for the full game, and appreciating Prologue for it's great graphics, physics and my first taste of online racing.

It doesn't surprise me that the single player mode is weak on Prologue because the game is clearly being used as a test-bed for the online mode - if it was supposed to be a big single player game they'd be updating that bit every couple of weeks and not the online mode.

It's a little fair then comparing the GT5 'demo' to that of the full GRID game.

And even so, in my humble opinion, Prologue walks all over GRID in every department that matters to me.

Prologue walks all over GRID in every department that matters to me.

And that in a nutshell is what it all comes down to. Period. 👍 What matters to you in a game. If it's fun and you like it, then play it. :)

It's a shame that there isn't someone on par with John Carmack, with respect to his obsessive need to push hardware to it's limits working on a driving/racing game somewhere. 👍

Yes GT5P is a demo, I've said that in previous posts and I'm also holding out hope that it's about 1/4 of what the actual game will be capable of..... :nervous:

We shall wait and seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....:mischievous:

I'm not going to insult you by presuming you believe Prologue to be anything but a demo of the full GT5, and as such your comment that GT5P isn't a challenge confuses me a bit. I wasn't expecting to be blown away by it, maybe you were, and I'm saving my anticipation for the full game, and appreciating Prologue for it's great graphics, physics and my first taste of online racing.

It doesn't surprise me that the single player mode is weak on Prologue because the game is clearly being used as a test-bed for the online mode - if it was supposed to be a big single player game they'd be updating that bit every couple of weeks and not the online mode.

It's a little fair then comparing the GT5 'demo' to that of the full GRID game.

And even so, in my humble opinion, Prologue walks all over GRID in every department that matters to me.

I wasn't expecting to be blown away by Prologue. However, what it is showing doesn't give me high hopes for the final product at all. And no, GT5P had NO challenge to it at all for me. The only thing that hindered my progress was repeating the same races over and over again to afford cars necessary to compete in certain events.

I'm not so much comparing Grid to simply GT5P, but what I anticipate for GT5 to release. So far, it just doesn't seem like it's going to have any entertainment value, no challenge, and no fun. So why bother? GT4 already had everything that GT5P has... Maybe those of you aren't considering that you're driving different vehicles in GT5P and that may be why the physics feel different. All of my racing lines and "marks" I brought directly from GT4, and haven't changed any of them... the only ones I had to get on my own were the new tracks... and that wasn't hard either. And throughout the entire GT5P experience, I may (I repeat MAY) have lost all of three races. Who the hell wants that? I WANT to lose! I LOVE to lose. That's the point of racing games in the first place... to need to improve in order to win... GT5P brings NONE of that... and if it's any indication of what GT5 is going to have, there's no point wasting the money.

Now, if GT5 were to come out with a difficulty setting, physical damage, and got rid of the penalty system, I'd more than love to play it, and I would for years to come. But the way it is, it's not going to happen. The reason I've said that GT4 was the best game I've played so far is simple. While the challenge of it went away long, long ago, it's entertainment value stayed somehow. Striving for better times to match what you guys have put up on this site among others. But not just that either. Something about the game brings me back to it again and again. No other game has done that with the exception of the other GT games. NASCAR doesn't come close, you've beaten all three championship series by your second season and the game ends up in the closet. Burnout is fun when you're drunk and have nothing better to do. DiRT... well, it was a TON of fun, and it was very challenging at its highest levels, but once I was done with it, I felt no need to continue playing.It was the same story with every NFS game I've had... And don't get me wrong, I see the same happening with Grid. But games like Test Drive and Ridge Racer (especially 7) are just horrible and I couldn't stomach them for more than an hour or two. Granted, I'd keep them on the shelf and try playing them again here and there, but could never bring myself to dedicate any real time to them. But alas, despite great releases like Assassins Creed, GTA4, GTA;SA, among others, as soon as they're done, GT4 goes right back into the slot... and stays there until another game comes along that sparks my interest. GT5P doesn't spark it in the least. And if a Prologue game is supposed to let you see what lies ahead, then I'm not impressed... it's that simple.

And in all honesty, I don't know why the "hype" can't be satisfied. If other racing games can pose a challenge, then why can't GT? If other racing games can have fantastic graphics, crash effects, and still run at full speed, why can't GT? And if other games can use damage to dictate how a car runs, why does GT need a time penalty? In all seriousness, it just seems like PD has gotten so arrogant that they don't care to see the good parts of these other games and just simply feel like whatever they put out will be good enough... and for the amount of money it will cost... it's not worth it anymore. PD has been the pinnacle of racing since it's very first release. It brought the whole genre to another level... another world. It amazed everyone that played it... They followed it up with more powerful advancements, wowing everyone as it went... And now it's just behind the eight-ball. Granted I haven't played it, but from what I hear and have read about Forza, it's already a head above GT before GT has even been released. And that's sad. It's sad that I'd have to concede to those that race on Forza, or other games that I just didn't think could touch GT, and therefor never bothered to buy them.

If other racing games can have fantastic graphics, crash effects, and still run at full speed, why can't GT?

Be specific. List all the game that you claim have equal or better graphics. Also list all the games that have crash effects with licensed production road cars (not race cars) from over thirty different manufacturers. List all the games that you claim have all that and are in 1080p @ 60fps with lossless 7.1 channel PCM high definition sound. List all the racing games with real world tracks that are more accurate and detailed.

Seriously, it's great that you found a racing game that really get's you excited, and if GRiD is that game, then more power to you. However, when you make these kinds of statements that fall flat in the light of actual evidence and real facts, it just makes your opinion that much less meaningful.

Granted I haven't played it, but from what I hear and have read about Forza, it's already a head above GT before GT has even been released.
:eek: Wow... so not only are you relying on hearsay, but on vague hearsay that sounds very much out of whack with reality.

And that's sad. It's sad that I'd have to concede to those that race on Forza, or other games that I just didn't think could touch GT, and therefore never bothered to buy them.

If you had actually taken the time to find someone with a 360 and played Forza 2 you would very quickly see just how much it is lacking in all of those areas, and the physics is also not at GT5P standards... although there are also lots of things about Forza 2 and even PGR4 that make them fun to play, and based on most of your comments about GRiD and GT5P, maybe you would love both Forza 2 and PGR4. 👍

In all seriousness,

It really sounds to me, based on everything you have said, that you'll be much happier sticking with arcade or at least simcade style games like GRiD, and leave the "boring" sim style racing games to others that appreciate those types of games for what they offer.

Be specific. List all the game that you claim have equal or better graphics. Also list all the games that have crash effects with licensed production road cars (not race cars) from over thirty different manufacturers. List all the games that you claim have all that and are in 1080p @ 60fps with lossless 7.1 channel PCM high definition sound. List all the racing games with real world tracks that are more accurate and detailed.

Seriously, it's great that you found a racing game that really get's you excited, and if GRiD is that game, then more power to you. However, when you make these kinds of statements that fall flat in the light of actual evidence and real facts, it just makes your opinion that much less meaningful.

:eek: Wow... so not only are you relying on hearsay, but on vague hearsay that sounds very much out of whack with reality.

If you had actually taken the time to find someone with a 360 and played Forza 2 you would very quickly see just how much it is lacking in all of those areas, and the physics is also not at GT5P standards... although there are also lots of things about Forza 2 and even PGR4 that make them fun to play, and based on most of your comments about GRiD and GT5P, maybe you would love both Forza 2 and PGR4. 👍

It really sounds to me, based on everything you have said, that you'll be much happier sticking with arcade or at least simcade style games like GRiD, and leave the "boring" sim style racing games to others that appreciate those types of games for what they offer.

Spoken like a true Gran Turismo Fanboy:indiff:

So no lists at all, no facts, just slanderous name calling? Sadly predicatable.

All the lists, statistics, and reviews in the world will never change the fact that GRan Turismo is just not as realistic as the fanboys make it out to be. The graphics are nice, but hey in this place in time we have great graphics on a good numbber of games. GranTurismo is a good "driving simulator", sadly not as good as "Enthusia" which as a driving simulator is GREAT, but the game play is kind of :indiff:well not that great.

I am a motorhead, I was standing on the back bumber of my uncles street racing turbo charged Corvair as soon as I was able to climb up and stand theer on my own. I have built, and raced powerful cars with everything from I4,flat 4,I6, flat6, V6 and V8 under the hood, or rear lid. I've slammed them around corners at high speeds, and drifted them off of one road and onto the next slammed down a gear for the Rs revved back up to the fastest I could get away with according to the driving conditions( road surface, road temp, tire temp, etc,etc.) before GRID, TOCA was my favorite game, because it was the most realistic racing game to date..until June 3rd2008 that is. Even TOCA had its draw backs. GRan Turismo over exxagerates accelleration, TOCA tends to dog it down too much. In Gran Turismo the the AI was too perfect, It adhered to race lines that were so perfect as to be impoosible to the conditions, and the cars broke loose just way too easy. I don't want to hera anything about breaking spots and proper corner negotiation. truth is if your at the back of the pack and you want in front, you have to drive outside that line from time to time because honestly turns and corners can be the best places to pass in certain situations. I hear you guys bitch about getting slammed by other cars. Welcome to the race gentlemen, put down your purse, insert your feminine hygeine product, get in your car shut your mouth and race. Unless needle point is more your style, then by all mean pick that purse back up and leave the racing to the men. I love it when the race line gets all 🤬 up because a car broke grip in mid turn. Then you have to hope you can see through the smoke well enough to keep from running into stalled or busted car. BEtter yet, the car right in front of you gets picked up by the wind and comes flying right at you giving you 1/1000s of a second or less to avoid disaster. That is the race, thats what its all about. I don't get why everyone labels it "arcadey" the accelleration is realistic, the way it breaks grip is dead on as well as braking. Do I wish we could adjust the settings of the cars? Yes, I also wish the race seasons were longer than three events, I hope they add more tracks and maybe even cars in updates to come. Do carts swap ends in the corners if you try and take them too sharp? I never had it happen to me in real life, but then again the fatsest class I raced was GT3 in a 1965 Corvair that had been re jugged(bewteen the block and head it houses the pistons) to a 3.0. So could it happen? I'm saying yes, as often as it could in GRID, I have no answer Atleast we can adjust the steering, gas, and brakes. 0 deadzone and 5or 10 %saturation in the steering is about perfect, as well as 100 percent on all the settings in the Force Feedback options.

Does Poly Digital do a better job reproducing the individual tracks inch by inch blade of grass by blade of grasss, heat crack by heat crack? Maybe, maybe not, The tracks that both TOCA and Granturismo had in common looked exactly the same and felt the same when racing on them be it Laguna Seca in GT or Laguna Seca in TOCA2 or 3. Gran Turismo does a good job recreating the individual cars but they also tend to favor a handful of models over others too. They give an immense number of cars to choose from atleast GT4 did, and moretracks. Still it is not the Holy Grail of racing games. For now GRID is my favorite, that could change later when another simulation game is born. I have my share of beefs against it. I wish I had the option of more skilled teammate. I do wish I could adjust the cars performance. I also wish we had more tracks. That said, we will probably never have the perfect racing game. Its just not as fake as some would have every one believe.

I still play GT4 and enjoy it when I do. I do play it more for the game play though. Ther are quite a few things that make GT4 fun, and it does have a high degree of realism. It just gets old reading the bashing other driving games get in comparison to the Gran Turismo series.. Sometimes I wonder if they get so used to the way GT feels that when they are challenged to work harder for a race they get mad and down talk it. Face it Between PD and Code Masteres, we atleast get enough great driving games to have fun, and keep busy. especially for some one like me who plays racing games predominantly. Honestly the Need for Speed series, and Full auto and others like them are games I buy and then wish I hadn't. Which is why I don;t buy anymore too! When the new NFS and similar driving games come out I don't pay attention. Atleast with PD and CM when they put out a driving game I "a" am grateful both companies cater to the Logitech DFP, and B will have put out a game I know I'll buy.

All the lists, statistics, and reviews in the world will never change the fact that GRan Turismo is just not as realistic as the fanboys make it out to be. The graphics are nice, but hey in this place in time we have great graphics on a good numbber of games. GranTurismo is a good "driving simulator", sadly not as good as "Enthusia" which as a driving simulator is GREAT, but the game play is kind of :indiff:well not that great.

I am a motorhead, I was standing on the back bumber of my uncles street racing turbo charged Corvair as soon as I was able to climb up and stand theer on my own. I have built, and raced powerful cars with everything from I4,flat 4,I6, flat6, V6 and V8 under the hood, or rear lid. I've slammed them around corners at high speeds, and drifted them off of one road and onto the next slammed down a gear for the Rs revved back up to the fastest I could get away with according to the driving conditions( road surface, road temp, tire temp, etc,etc.) before GRID, TOCA was my favorite game, because it was the most realistic racing game to date..until June 3rd2008 that is. Even TOCA had its draw backs. GRan Turismo over exxagerates accelleration, TOCA tends to dog it down too much. In Gran Turismo the the AI was too perfect, It adhered to race lines that were so perfect as to be impoosible to the conditions, and the cars broke loose just way too easy. I don't want to hera anything about breaking spots and proper corner negotiation. truth is if your at the back of the pack and you want in front, you have to drive outside that line from time to time because honestly turns and corners can be the best places to pass in certain situations. I hear you guys bitch about getting slammed by other cars. Welcome to the race gentlemen, put down your purse, insert your feminine hygeine product, get in your car shut your mouth and race. Unless needle point is more your style, then by all mean pick that purse back up and leave the racing to the men. I love it when the race line gets all 🤬 up because a car broke grip in mid turn. Then you have to hope you can see through the smoke well enough to keep from running into stalled or busted car. BEtter yet, the car right in front of you gets picked up by the wind and comes flying right at you giving you 1/1000s of a second or less to avoid disaster. That is the race, thats what its all about. I don't get why everyone labels it "arcadey" the accelleration is realistic, the way it breaks grip is dead on as well as braking. Do I wish we could adjust the settings of the cars? Yes, I also wish the race seasons were longer than three events, I hope they add more tracks and maybe even cars in updates to come. Do carts swap ends in the corners if you try and take them too sharp? I never had it happen to me in real life, but then again the fatsest class I raced was GT3 in a 1965 Corvair that had been re jugged(bewteen the block and head it houses the pistons) to a 3.0. So could it happen? I'm saying yes, as often as it could in GRID, I have no answer Atleast we can adjust the steering, gas, and brakes. 0 deadzone and 5or 10 %saturation in the steering is about perfect, as well as 100 percent on all the settings in the Force Feedback options.

Does Poly Digital do a better job reproducing the individual tracks inch by inch blade of grass by blade of grasss, heat crack by heat crack? Maybe, maybe not, The tracks that both TOCA and Granturismo had in common looked exactly the same and felt the same when racing on them be it Laguna Seca in GT or Laguna Seca in TOCA2 or 3. Gran Turismo does a good job recreating the individual cars but they also tend to favor a handful of models over others too. They give an immense number of cars to choose from atleast GT4 did, and moretracks. Still it is not the Holy Grail of racing games. For now GRID is my favorite, that could change later when another simulation game is born. I have my share of beefs against it. I wish I had the option of more skilled teammate. I do wish I could adjust the cars performance. I also wish we had more tracks. That said, we will probably never have the perfect racing game. Its just not as fake as some would have every one believe.

I still play GT4 and enjoy it when I do. I do play it more for the game play though. Ther are quite a few things that make GT4 fun, and it does have a high degree of realism. It just gets old reading the bashing other driving games get in comparison to the Gran Turismo series.. Sometimes I wonder if they get so used to the way GT feels that when they are challenged to work harder for a race they get mad and down talk it. Face it Between PD and Code Masteres, we atleast get enough great driving games to have fun, and keep busy. especially for some one like me who plays racing games predominantly. Honestly the Need for Speed series, and Full auto and others like them are games I buy and then wish I hadn't. Which is why I don;t buy anymore too! When the new NFS and similar driving games come out I don't pay attention. Atleast with PD and CM when they put out a driving game I "a" am grateful both companies cater to the Logitech DFP, and B will have put out a game I know I'll buy.

I find it a bbit hard to follow what your saying as your all over the place but are you trying to suggest that GRID is a sim? You say you have raced cars before but if you believe that GRIDS physics are accurate than you have never driven a car before...I love grid for what it is but I would never say it's anything close to being realistic...

All the lists, statistics, and reviews in the world will never change the fact that GRan Turismo is just not as realistic as the fanboys make it out to be.

Nor any game or any fanboy. However, it's funny how when a fanboy makes wild claims and a troll makes wild flames... they almost never provide any objective facts to back their opinions up, relying almost entirely on unsubstantiated subjective opinions fed on by their bias either for or against what ever it is they are raving or ranting about. What is it they say about the Internet... Never let the facts get in the way of a good argument. :sigh:

I hear you guys bitch about getting slammed by other cars. Welcome to the race gentlemen, put down your purse, insert your feminine hygeine product, get in your car shut your mouth and race. Unless needle point is more your style, then by all mean pick that purse back up and leave the racing to the men.

OK, so besides the childish remarks.... either you don't want the racing to be realistic or you have never seen or participated in an actual professional race. After all, even NASCAR, famous for the phrase "Rubbing is racing", doesn't have nearly the amount of contact and crashing as featured in GRiD nor most driving games for that matter.

As far as excitement and thrill, yes, it's amazingly entertaining, and why I have already said several times that I really like GRiD for those reasons, but in no way would I ever delude myself into thinking that it is some how a realistic representation of automotive racing. Just as I don't delude myself into thinking GT5P or any current racing game is. After all, since when is it realistic to pull off a fastest lap time while riding the rails or slamming into another car to slow down? Yes Kaz & PD... I'm staring at you! 👎

However some are better than others, especially when it comes to physics, graphics, cars and tracks, and having multiple realistic tuning options... things I happen to care about in sim style games.

Personally, I wish I could have a game with PD's physics engine, graphics, car selctions and tracks... combined with DiRT's/GRiD's damage modeling, and F1CE's interactive pit stops and weather effects. If I had a game like that I would be thrilled! 👍

Does Poly Digital do a better job reproducing the individual tracks inch by inch blade of grass by blade of grasss, heat crack by heat crack? Maybe, maybe not, The tracks that both TOCA and Granturismo had in common looked exactly the same and felt the same when racing on them be it Laguna Seca in GT or Laguna Seca in TOCA2 or 3. Gran Turismo does a good job recreating the individual cars but they also tend to favor a handful of models over others too. They give an immense number of cars to choose from atleast GT4 did, and moretracks. Still it is not the Holy Grail of racing games.

Who in this discussion ever said it was??? This is one of the many issues I have with both fanboys and trolls, they both refuse to have a discussion without exaggerating, distorting the truth, avoiding facts, or making them up as they go along.

Look, I don't see anyone saying it's wrong to love Grid for many of the things it does really well - I'm certainly not saying that, especially considering the fact that I am one of the many that really enjoy Grid. However it seems some feel they need to put down one game to justify why they like another, and worst of all, they do it with a lot of misinformation and unsubstantiated opinions.

For now GRID is my favorite

And that's great! Some people prefer vanilla, others prefer chocolate, neither is wrong.

Face it Between PD and Code Masteres, we atleast get enough great driving games to have fun, and keep busy. especially for some one like me who plays racing games predominantly.

On that I can agree 100%. I would also throw into the mix, Turn 10 Studios (Forza), System 3 (Ferrari Challenge), Studio Liverpool (F1CE), Bizarre Creations (PGR), Warthog Games (Richard Burns Rally), Evolution Studios (WRC), and maybe a few others that I can't think of right off hand.

Honestly the Need for Speed series, and Full auto and others like them are games I buy and then wish I hadn't. Which is why I don;t buy anymore too!

Again, I agree 100%. 👍

Atleast with PD and CM when they put out a driving game I "a" am grateful both companies cater to the Logitech DFP, and B will have put out a game I know I'll buy.

Well that's fine for those with a PlayStation, but not so good for those with an Xbox. :ouch:

As far as your comments about the "simulation" in GRiD I think others have already address that, and now czechmate as well:

I don't get why everyone labels it "arcadey" the accelleration is realistic, the way it breaks grip is dead on as well as braking. Do I wish we could adjust the settings of the cars? Yes, I also wish the race seasons were longer than three events, I hope they add more tracks and maybe even cars in updates to come. Do carts swap ends in the corners if you try and take them too sharp? I never had it happen to me in real life, but then again the fatsest class I raced was GT3 in a 1965 Corvair that had been re jugged(bewteen the block and head it houses the pistons) to a 3.0. So could it happen? I'm saying yes, as often as it could in GRID, I have no answer Atleast we can adjust the steering, gas, and brakes. 0 deadzone and 5or 10 %saturation in the steering is about perfect, as well as 100 percent on all the settings in the Force Feedback options.

*snip*

For now GRID is my favorite, that could change later when another simulation game is born.

I find it a bbit hard to follow what your saying as your all over the place but are you trying to suggest that GRID is a sim? You say you have raced cars before but if you believe that GRIDS physics are accurate than you have never driven a car before...I love grid for what it is but I would never say it's anything close to being realistic...

+1 ... Grid is great fun, and while I certainly wouldn't call it an arcade game, I also certainly wouldn't call it realistic. I don't know who started it, but I like the term Simcade, and that is how I consider Grid to be. While the gameplay has a distinct arcade like feel, it is packaged in a fairly realistic way. It's actually a combination that works really well, and I find very entertaining. 👍

That's the thing you guys don't seem to get... Race cars don't have the movement that regular cars have. So if you're looking for the car to make insane leans through turns, it's not going to happen with a race car. Watch any F1 race, Lemans race, Indy Car, etc. Aside from NASCAR, which is arguably the most primitive form of racecar, the cars don't have much side to side, nor front to back movement... If their suspension was that soft, the cars would either be too tall and catch too much air under the car, or they'd bottom out at every turn and stop since they're millimeters off the ground to begin with.

Not only does the stiff suspension and lack of travel make the feel a bit more accurate. But the AI is FAR better than any AI in ANY GT games bar none. And more realistic or not; A) you're not going to out drive a Formula car in a Skyline (like you can in GT) and B) The AI never changes in GT. They always make the same moves, every race, every track. If you've raced a track long enough, you know exactly what the AI is going to do at the beginning every time... and you only need to know what the AI is going to do at the beginning because it's so damn easy to pull away once you're ahead of them... Especially if you're in equal cars. Are you kidding? Realistic? I'd rather have the realism of spontaneous AI with human-like reactions, damage that affects the way a car handles, and AI that can not only keep up, but actually pose as a challenge. While GT has the best physics (of any racing game I've played) in the hands of standard automobiles, the race cars in the game have very little difference in their handling.

The only thing that really bites me about the physics in Grid is the rain driving... I know, it's not raining while you're driving, but the roads are wet... and there's NO lack of traction and there really should be. Codemasters did a great job of changing the way the cars react depending on racing surface and weather in DiRT, I can't see why they didn't do it in Grid.

Better or equal graphics - Dirt, Grid, NASCAR '09
Um, let's see, well, since NO game has crash effects for licensed road cars from over thirty different manufacturers... that kind of makes your point irrelevant.
And since GT doesn't have any of that at all, it doesn't fit into your, "All that and are in 1080P @ 60fps with lossless 7.1 channel PCM high definition sound." either.
NASCAR games have more than 45 tracks in most of them... very accurately detailed and with this last installment, more so than ever. Daytona Super Speedway in NASCAR '09, puts the track in GT5P to bed.

And most of the reason I've preferred GT over any other racing game is because of the GT mode itself, not the Arcade mode, which oddly enough, most people here prefer to play in. Most of my enjoyment in GT comes from the hours I can spend tweaking a car to perfection and beating my best lap times as well as competing with others to do so... granted, I'm far from great, but it's the challenge of it that draws me to it. But in the end, that just simply gets too boring after not too long either. The physics on the race cars such as the LMP2 and LMP1 cars are no different from that of the same cars in Grid. They handle the same way, with the same grip, and the same lack of motion. But in essence, the lack of "tunability" in Grid puts me off a bit. I'd really like to be able to set up my cars. GT5P still has that, but not as in depth, but being a demo, I hope they bring the same setup back that they had in GT4.

OK, so besides the childish remarks.... either you don't want the racing to be realistic or you have never seen or participated in an actual professional race. After all, even NASCAR, famous for the phrase "Rubbing is racing", doesn't have nearly the amount of contact and crashing as featured in GRiD nor most driving games for that matter.

Yeah, but GT doesn't even make an effort... Both NASCAR, DiRT, and Grid, do. And in all actuality, GT has all the crashing featured in Grid... you just don't get damage from it... makes if far more realistic, yeah?

However some are better than others, especially when it comes to physics, graphics, cars and tracks, and having multiple realistic tuning options... things I happen to care about in sim style games.

Realistic tuning options??? Maybe setup options... but not tuning. You mean to tell me that there are three thousand different cars in the world that can have all the same aftermarket parts installed? And they're all the same price? I've been in auto and truck parts for the better part of a decade and I'm yet to see half the crap GT lets you put on the average, every-day driver. Since, of course, there's nothing like putting a 6-speed, high performance tranny in a 1984 Civic 3-door, or a locking differential... Just like the brake balance adjustment kit that you can put on your cars... It's called a knob operated proportionate vavle that you can simply put on your dashboard to control how much pressure goes where... And it doesn't cost $10K.

Personally, I wish I could have a game with PD's physics engine, graphics, car selctions and tracks... combined with DiRT's/GRiD's damage modeling, and F1CE's interactive pit stops and weather effects. If I had a game like that I would be thrilled! 👍

And with the time it takes Polyphony to make a GT game, and the innovation that they brought to the genre in the first place, I don't see why that isn't possible. It would, in deed, be the perfect racing game, in my humble opinion. Is it really that far out of reach?

I'll have to get that F1CE game to see what you're talking about with interaction pit stops... the only games I've played with pit stops are GT and NASCAR... both of which suck in that department. NASCAR games used to be better, but EA has sacrificed handling and interaction between you and your team for better graphics... and it totally sucks for me since I'm such a huge NASCAR fan overall. I'd love to be able to enjoy another one of those games, but I fear that EA will never put out a good product. Yeah, the graphics are amazing, but how hard is it to detail all of maybe 9 cars?

Whoo Hoo!!! I made a post without swearing like a jerk!

Without bothering to read all the rnties, I have to say few things about GRID from my POW:

- I play it with G25
- it's hell-of-a-fun game
- I like career system, it's nicely executed in all areas
- I like 24HLM races every now-and-then
- I like the overall structure
- I like the design of the city tracks
- I hate my teammates, they're stupid as shoe and they've costed me a fortune so far
- I'm 34,000xp from International Finals
- I even like Drift
- I didn't try online because I love my nerves
- I so love the cockpit-view of every damn car in that game
- Today I like the GRID 5X more then in the beggining of play

It's an arcade-simmy, but one great arcade-simmy racer - and my favorite so far only because it play decent with the true force feedback wheel. It shows all the fun we all missed because non-support for true force feedback technology on X360, mainly regarding Project Gothams and Test Drive Unimited. I happen to have Microsoft Force Feedback Wheel too, but it's just ain't worth mentioning.

My 2 cents.

Without bothering to read all the rnties, I have to say few things about GRID from my POW:

- I play it with G25
- it's hell-of-a-fun game
- I like career system, it's nicely executed in all areas
- I like 24HLM races every now-and-then
- I like the overall structure
- I like the design of the city tracks
- I hate my teammates, they're stupid as shoe and they've costed me a fortune so far
- I'm 34,000xp from International Finals
- I even like Drift
- I didn't try online because I love my nerves
- I so love the cockpit-view of every damn car in that game
- Today I like the GRID 5X more then in the beggining of play

It's an arcade-simmy, but one great arcade-simmy racer - and my favorite so far only because it play decent with the true force feedback wheel. It shows all the fun we all missed because non-support for true force feedback technology on X360, mainly regarding Project Gothams and Test Drive Unimited. I happen to have Microsoft Force Feedback Wheel too, but it's just ain't worth mentioning.

My 2 cents.

Find and hire Tom Johnson. His stats are way lower than most of the others you can get, yet somehow he tends to finish top three in almost every race. I have 30 podiums in 37 races with him as my teammate. I hired Brad Petty before and his stats are through the chart. But he sucked and after two seasons he didn't have a single podium, so I re-hired Johnson.

Back