GT5P vs REAL LIFE

• Thread starter Saladine12
  • 81 comments
I get excited about the chance to test drive other vechicles in real life that are present in GT5P. And when I do drive the cars, I try my best to explore with the cars steering and handling characteristics to compare to what I remember when I'm playing GT5P with the wheel.

It's surreal how close it resembles the feel of driving the cars in real life to the game. Obviously you can't simulate the same G forces nor would you take the same risk you do in the real cars to find out the car's limits like you do in the a simulation game. You can still get a feel of being inside the cockpit and translate the images you see combined with the feedback you notice in the wheel to how well the developers have translated this feeling into GT. It's very good.

The cars that are present in GT5P that I've been in to compare are.

2002 Honda S2000 (RWD red interior just like the Amuse S2000 GT1)
91 Acura NSX (MID) (5 speed)
93 Acura NSX (MID) (5 speed)
97 Acura NSX (MID) (6 speed)
Infiniti G35 (RWD).
BMW 135i (RWD).
Mazda RX7 (RWD)
Mazda RX8 (RWD)
350z (RWD)

And the cockpits of these cars feel great in the game. It's the reverse thinking for me when I get into the real cars. I compare it back to GT. As I drive the cars in real life, I asking myself how close is this car to GT. I try to understand what the developers took from each test drive they had with the real life cars and how they put it into the game. I think they did a fantastic job of recreating the differences in each car.

I think one suggestion for improvement is some kind of head tracking device that can be combined in cockpit view to allow us to have free look in the cockpit. IR sensor or something similar to the Nintendo Wii's controller would be helpful here.

I mixed content from my real life experience with the game here to help align the two experiences together.

I agree 100%. Going 60k's/hr in the game feels like i'm doing 10.
Whenever i'm on the road, i give the car a little work over but at manageable speeds, yet when i try to replicate that in the game, i realize i'm doing 120kph just because the sense of speed just isn't there.

But the question arises. How to recreate the sense of speed?
By using (playing on) three monitors.

Why people say sence of speed is not there? I thik its SPOT on. When you compare two videos. Real vs GT5. same or similar cars, and same track. Sence of speed is the same.
Only thing missing in GT5 is that there are little G force effects inside the cockpit like in GTR2 or rFactor. If the camera was more shackey on turns and higher speeds then you will have your sense of speed.

As you can see, the guy is going pretty fast but if you look at outside the road.. you can see all the trees, signs, poles slowly passing by, good example is under the bridge, it takes forever to pass yet he is going fast.. same as GT, you look at your MPH/KPH it says FAST buy yet passing objects seems slow.. but thats how reality is.. you get you to speeds quickly. This is not Need for speed when BLUR and other effects makes your eyes believing you are going fast. Best track in GT5 for good speed sense is London track since every building is close by.

This is another example of good sense of speed that is accurate to real life.

So basically, if sence of speed was wrong, the track would be worng or GT5 would be TOO fast or TOO slow compared to real life cars ;)
in the end, its spot on.. almost ;)

Why people say sence of speed is not there? I thik its SPOT on. When you compare two videos. Real vs GT5. same or similar cars, and same track. Sence of speed is the same.
Only thing missing in GT5 is that there are little G force effects inside the cockpit like in GTR2 or rFactor. If the camera was more shackey on turns and higher speeds then you will have your sense of speed.

As you can see, the guy is going pretty fast but if you look at outside the road.. you can see all the trees, signs, poles slowly passing by, good example is under the bridge, it takes forever to pass yet he is going fast.. same as GT, you look at your MPH/KPH it says FAST buy yet passing objects seems slow.. but thats how reality is.. you get you to speeds quickly. This is not Need for speed when BLUR and other effects makes your eyes believing you are going fast. Best track in GT5 for good speed sense is London track since every building is close by.

Looking at that video the track on GT is flat compared to real life.

We need that Geforce effect like GTR2 has it. You can adjust it how much you want to experiance it in cockpit. At full max, going over bumps and turns, its shakey, at low settings, the cam sticks as car goes. GT5 seems to have it on the weak side.

We need that Geforce effect like GTR2 has it. You can adjust it how much you want to experiance it in cockpit. At full max, going over bumps and turns, its shakey, at low settings, the cam sticks as car goes. GT5 seems to have it on the weak side.
Yeah that would be awsome, love GTR2!
+ a little motion blur for very high speeds and less wind noises would help a lot ! Yesterdeay i was on Autobahn again and payed some attention to the sounds, all you hear is the engine and the tyres on the road , the wind sound is almost not noticeable though ( was going 220kmh ).

No blur.. there is no blur in real life... lol if you see blur then something wrong with your eyes ;) unless you go 500 MPH :P

i was going 115 MPH, I could hear lots of wind. I turn music off and all, But i could still hear the engine. I think GT5 done it well with wind noise.. I have a 5.1 setup, its perfect balance to hear the wind and the engine noise.

No blur.. there is no blur in real life... lol if you see blur then something wrong with your eyes ;) unless you go 500 MPH :P

i was going 115 MPH, I could hear lots of wind. I turn music off and all, But i could still hear the engine. I think GT5 done it well with wind noise.. I have a 5.1 setup, its perfect balance to hear the wind and the engine noise.

Its not a flaw of the game, its a flaw of all games.. and same with watching a video of a real car on the track.. the sense of speed is no where near the equivalent of being in a real car on a road at the same speeds. Its those other senses that you cannot replicate in a game.. So yes the car is travelling at 250kph, and its modelled realistically against the scenery etc, but it doesnt FEEL like its going at that speed compared to the real thing. Which takes me back to the original point, if it doesnt feel like you are driving at that speed then you will drive faster until it DOES feel like an equivalent speed... you will try to enter a corner at a speed that FEELS like its right, but the reality is the speed you are doing is too fast for that corner/tyres/level of grip.

There are some vids that do give a real good sense of speed, one of the best I can recall off the top of my head is this one http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=6184680728064832823

But Im pretty certain if you were sitting in this car it would feel like you are going a helluva lot faster than if you were watching the vid.

If I'm driving my soft-top at 120mph, then yes there is a lot of wind noise, but not the same as in GT5P. The pitch of the sound is different for a start. If I drive our other car at that speed it sounds much the same as it does at 60mph.

Just a quick comment!

If I'm driving my soft-top at 120mph, then yes there is a lot of wind noise, but not the same as in GT5P. The pitch of the sound is different for a start. If I drive our other car at that speed it sounds much the same as it does at 60mph.

Just a quick comment!
I've discussed this in the audio thread and i don't think it got the attention it deserved.
The wind noise coming from in the car should be considerably lower, it overshadows the engine sounds in most cases.
I've alluded to the option of having seperate audio adjustments for wind noise, crowd and tyre screech. I only hope that Polyphony reads this and takes heed.

Well theres no blur in real life ,unless you look out of your side window:scared:, but if you watch rally or F1 on a TV its there. I just think sometimes you have to do something unrealistic in a videogame to make it look and feel realistic.:sly:

As for the sounds, if you need a 5.1 setup to hear it right, theres still something wrong for people without 5.1, is it?

I think so, because if you have a nice surround sound, all the the SOunds are evenly spread out to 5 , or 7 skeapers, (base as well) I use to have 2 channel all the time, TV speakers, everything is thrown in for 2 speakers and thus making it bit not exciting. The more speakers the better results. :)
Good example, is when car passes you. When you are in Cockpit mode, if you have a lets say Ferrari, you will hear engine growling in back speakers while the front works more for what you hear in front of you. When you look back, you can now hear engine in front speakers. Also you can hear each tire individually in correct spot. :) so yeah Surround sound does make a difference. And playing with sound settings, turning off music, and I have my option at small theater is just perfect balance for me :)

I think so, because if you have a nice surround sound, all the the SOunds are evenly spread out to 5 , or 7 skeapers, (base as well) I use to have 2 channel all the time, TV speakers, everything is thrown in for 2 speakers and thus making it bit not exciting. The more speakers the better results. :)
Good example, is when car passes you. When you are in Cockpit mode, if you have a lets say Ferrari, you will hear engine growling in back speakers while the front works more for what you hear in front of you. When you look back, you can now hear engine in front speakers. Also you can hear each tire individually in correct spot. :) so yeah Surround sound does make a difference. And playing with sound settings, turning off music, and I have my option at small theater is just perfect balance for me :)

+1 for Music off and Surround Sound. If you dont have a Surround sound setup, semi-decent over-ear headphones sound sensational compared to TV speakers.

Maybe I´ll get me a surround system then :) The thing is my TV Speakers are really good but GT5P sounds just poor on them. I havent had this problems with the other GT games though, aswell with the controlls I never had a problem before GT5P !?
But i try with a surround , maybe this helps 👍

I'll throw my 2 cents in,All the tires need more grip.

Meh, I don't think they do. Scaff did a bunch of calculations earlier on in this thread and found out that even the N-rated tyres in the game are offering pretty realistic grip. I expect the tyres seem like they have less grip than they do because in a real car you wouldn't be pushing as hard as you do in the game.

If this forum had a Karma system you'd be getting loads of it for that vid, awesome! Love the drifting on the on-ramps :D

I don't think so..

Nice video comparison, it really does show how close the game is to real life. And if you match the cars at a certain point on the circuit, you'll see that the guy in the RX-7 is quicker than you ;)

Have an Evolution that I bring to the track regularly...The EVO in the game is about 90% of the real thing. The EVO because of its electronics does not have the power-on understeer that the game shows. The EVO happily rotates as you power out of a corner.

In regards to the tyre issues if you go to page eleven of the manual found on "my page" on GT5p, scroll down and you will find a list of all the cars and what tyres you should use to simulate that cars grip.

GTR-07 S2~S3

S2 simulates the grip you would get from used road tyres, S3 simulates the grip you would get from fresh tyres.

If you ask me about realism this is still a game and they cant be perfect. Im just trying to have fun while driving cars that i know ill never probably drive in my life and im sure that should be the main reason for this game have fun.

quick note on something posted quite a while ago. Homeforsummer the GT Academy was run on N1's not N3's which would explain why the tyre seemed to lack all grip.

Also one of the big reasons why people think the car does not demonstrate a sense of speed is because its all to do with perspective and unfotunately while game programmers are aware of this, unfotuneatly they are helpless to do anything about it while us consumers veiw their game on a TV. That being the fundamental problem because being on a TV limist what you you can see, essentially its like driving with tunnel vision. One of the reasons people think they are going fast while driving down a road is because in their preiphrial vison they can see tree's will be whizzing past perhaps even bluring a little. notice if you focus infront of you the trees will appear to move towards you slowly and not blur at all. You can see the focus part on your TV but what your TV can't show is the periphreal vison with trees wizzing past somewhat dulling the visual sense of speed. You will notice that in the game you can build a sense of speed in game by driving on a very narrow road with your surronding closeby as this will increase your perception of speed. Try it, go to the test track at GT4 and go at 100mph. with such a wide track 100mph will appear somewhat leisurely. Now try Citta di arrea, if you tank down the narrow streets at 100mph you will be under no illusion that you are travelling quickly. This will happen to an extent in real life but is not as noticable because the panoramic nature of your eyes. If you where to have a panoramic screen (or even the 3 TV setup that Kikie has) then you would notice a big increase in the sense of visual speed. This is because you have a wide ingame veiwing angle rather than the normal tunnelvision which you get from a normal TV.

Hope that made sense I am not brilliant at getting my point across at times.

Also one of the big reasons why people think the car does not demonstrate a sense of speed is because its all to do with perspective and unfotunately while game programmers are aware of this, unfotuneatly they are helpless to do anything about it while us consumers veiw their game on a TV. That being the fundamental problem because being on a TV limist what you you can see, essentially its like driving with tunnel vision. One of the reasons people think they are going fast while driving down a road is because in their preiphrial vison they can see tree's will be whizzing past perhaps even bluring a little. notice if you focus infront of you the trees will appear to move towards you slowly and not blur at all. You can see the focus part on your TV but what your TV can't show is the periphreal vison with trees wizzing past somewhat dulling the visual sense of speed.
You've got the problem nailed, but developers aren't helpless to do anything about it. They should all do like Live for Speed and offer an adjustable "field of view" option. You still aren't able to replicate that peripheral vision, but you can certainly adjust the sense of speed until it looks "right" to you.

You will notice that in the game you can build a sense of speed in game by driving on a very narrow road with your surronding closeby as this will increase your perception of speed. Try it, go to the test track at GT4 and go at 100mph. with such a wide track 100mph will appear somewhat leisurely. Now try Citta di arrea, if you tank down the narrow streets at 100mph you will be under no illusion that you are travelling quickly. This will happen to an extent in real life but is not as noticable because the panoramic nature of your eyes.
I would argue that the effect is only greater in real life, again thanks to your peripheral vision. Anyone who's driven a car through a tight residential street at even 30mph should understand how fast you can appear to be going through tight spaces.

You've got the problem nailed, but developers aren't helpless to do anything about it. They should all do like Live for Speed and offer an adjustable "field of view" option. You still aren't able to replicate that peripheral vision, but you can certainly adjust the sense of speed until it looks "right" to you.

Yes your right, they could offer the adjustable feild of veiw, for people who really want the visual sense of speed. Its not great though as it distorts the screen a bit, certainly not something I could i magine PD implamenting, they wouldn't want to ruin those 'perfect graphics'. It can help but I its not all that great they are still limited by the TV aspect. This is all assuming I am thinking of the same feild of view feature of LFS you mention. I have adjusted it so much now I can't remember what the default is I think its 90degrees :D

GT5P vs. Real life...

Didnt Jeremy Clarkson test this phenomena with GT4 @ Laguna Seca? First he put down his fastest time in an NSX he could in the game and then tried it in exactly the same car in real life at Laguna Seca. He couldnt put down a time that even came close to his time in GT4.... He kept going on about how everything you do in the game is almost impossible to do in real life because so many extra factors come in to play... G-force... the tactile feel of it all, etc. So they can probably get REALLY close to reality... but it'll never be exactly the same... to many restrictions to really make it the same as reality...

He kept going on about how everything you do in the game is almost impossible to do in real life because so many extra factors come in to play... G-force... the tactile feel of it all, etc.

It wasn't so much the G-force, etc that he said was the problem. He said the main thing was that in the game you dont worry about crashing, etc.

However in real life you fear for your life, so you never push it as hard as you would in the game. He said he has no doubt that the NSX could do the lap time he managed in GT4, but he said he just wasn't a good enough driver to do it.

Clarkson was having trouble because the GT4 NSX could brake much better than the real NSX ever could (the track instructor pointed this out on the show) and the GT4 NSX did nothing but understeer (a trait Clarkson mentioned while playing the game), while the real NSX had Clarkson oversteering all over the place.

There was more to his inability to improve than the fear of the "real-world" sensation of speed. G-forces and the rest are all a factor, yes, but GT4 also wasn't much of a sim.

I have adjusted it so much now I can't remember what the default is I think its 90degrees :D
I'm not sure, but that's what I've always set it to. Seems like the right setting to me.

Bumping this thread because I had a relatively brief opportunity to try GT5:P today, with both the SIXAXIS and the G25. I played in Pro mode with all assists turned off, ABS set to 1, and tried both N2s and the default S3s. Things I noted:

- I could definitely have fun with this as a racing game, but I'd look elsewhere if I were in the mood to do some drifting. The traction and handling characteristics are close enough to allow you to tread a bit past the limit without getting into undue trouble, but countersteer is still too sensitive with both the controller and the wheel (I didn't have the chance to do any control tweaking). I actually had an easier time drifting with the controller. The NSX-R was a blast at Suzuka.

- The way the cars move is still really floaty and awkward. It's hard to get a grip on what your car is doing when you feel so disconnected. This was the most disappointing part.

- RWD cars still have a bit too much trouble getting the tail out (though it's much improved over GT4!). I never ran into any oversteer I didn't ask for. What's more, once you do get them sideways, the arc they carve into the pavement doesn't feel right. I sometimes felt like the car was actually accelerating as it slid right off the track, and it was almost impossible to adjust my line once I got sideways. Low-speed oversteer is very awkward, and seems programmed just to fix GT4's donut problem, and nothing else.

- In general, wheelspin is still too much like an on-off switch -- either you're got traction, or you're bouncing off the rev limiter, with very little inbetween. Apparently that's a Gran Turismo tradition that PD aren't planning on giving up anytime soon. I didn't even need to do any corrective steering to keep the car pointed in the right direction -- just like GT4. Yawn.

Given time and practice, I could probably get used to the game and learn to drift with ease, but I was expecting a sim realistic enough that I wouldn't have make an effort to adapt to its faults. I also wasn't expecting the "Pro" mode to be a tweaked version of GT4 (if it's all-new, PD's programmers have fallen into some bad habits). My overall impression was positive, but I have to admit I'm less excited about the full game than I was before.

I'm hoping I just didn't have the physics or wheel set up right. It was an acquaintance's PS3, and he couldn't stay for long, so I spent what little time I had on the track.

Back