GT5P vs REAL LIFE

• Thread starter Saladine12
  • 81 comments
I do not think the downshifting has enough pull. I just don't feel like I am downshifting, it is like when I let off the gas and downshift it doesn't have that pull or grab. IDK.

The way the cars move is still really floaty and awkward. It's hard to get a grip on what your car is doing when you feel so disconnected. This was the most disappointing part.

- RWD cars still have a bit too much trouble getting the tail out (though it's much improved over GT4!). I never ran into any oversteer I didn't ask for. What's more, once you do get them sideways, the arc they carve into the pavement doesn't feel right. I sometimes felt like the car was actually accelerating as it slid right off the track, and it was almost impossible to adjust my line once I got sideways. Low-speed oversteer is very awkward, and seems programmed just to fix GT4's donut problem, and nothing else.

- In general, wheelspin is still too much like an on-off switch -- either you're got traction, or you're bouncing off the rev limiter, with very little inbetween. Apparently that's a Gran Turismo tradition that PD aren't planning on giving up anytime soon. I didn't even need to do any corrective steering to keep the car pointed in the right direction -- just like GT4. Yawn.
with what tyres was this based on?

I found out that Audi R8 is nothing like in real life. In game that thing understeers like 4wd car from 80s, but in real life experience is much closer to rwd and it really drifts very nicely.

i saw this stripped out spoon integra r dc2 do a lap of suzuka i dont know what tires it as using but it was group N car the time was 2:36. and there was a pop up light nsx-r think it was on oem tires that did suzuka in 2:34.

gt5p dc5 does suz in 2:25 nsxr 2:16

if i remember correctly enthusia had pretty similar times in the game and out

get in you car in the garage at home take it out and drive it into a wall.....then go home and do it in the game ....the difference will be very clear

If you look at it from a U.S. "muscle car" standpoint , pretty realistic.
Good straight line acceleration , and a "not so good" handling characteristic.

Of course , back in the heydey of these cars , thats what the manufacturer's were looking at.Take it off the showroom floor,take it to your local drag strip and have fun.

PS : They probably were thinking (in the back of their mind)" 💡 " take it to your local cruise spot and do red light to red light racing,obviously they were not allowed to advertise this part.

Last edited:
The speed sense is fine I think...GT4 did this with the super cars and my God that was insanely overdone..too much blur effect. Hopefully this time around they can do it better, i just hate when they use too much blur effect to make it look like the car is actually moving fast, it distracts you from the action sometimes. Hopefully they will figure it out what to do. Engine noises needs to be fixed as well. V8 cars sound like 4cly cars, just horrible. Other than that in terms of how realistic the game is, GT5P isn't far from realism, it's very good but a lot things still missing. I am not going to go any further since this in my head is only a half unfinished game, so I will wait for GT5! :P

I can offer my experiences of a couple of the cars.

Firstly the Ferrari F40. I have not driven it, I was taken for a drive it. As the game goes the noise is not quite there, although it sounds very similar, it does not come across as raw or powerful enough. The F40 is a monster of power. When you are in it, it seems to take off gradually then the turbos kick in and it is like the world is about to explode, this does not come across in the game. It feels a bit weak.

Secondly the Evo IX. The car I drove was a Tommy Makinnen Special. So to be honest the car in the game is a little different in comparison, as the car I drove was an absolute monster, with so much power and torque, that it litterally beat you up in your seat, it was pure violence as you accelerated, and every time you dipped the clutch to change gear or put the brakes on it felt like you were about to go through the windscreen.

The main issue is that the real life experiences of power and braking for me don't come across in the game. The force that some of these cars generate just isn't there.

From doing the odd track day, I'd have to say my only complaint is the view. I'm not saying that Polyphony made bad views, I just don't think there is a view out there that will make me feel as comfortable as real life eg. looking left and right when I like easily, looking to the apex etc

get in you car in the garage at home take it out and drive it into a wall.....then go home and do it in the game ....the difference will be very clear

I could not have said it better.......fact vs fiction you can bloviate all you want it still comes down to the basic real or not....

GT has blur while driving fast?
Are we playing the same GT?

I was talking about GT4 not GT5:P. The sense of speed is fine for now, I just hope they don't carry away with crazy effects for speed, usually all of them comes down to blur effect.

the biggest flaw imo for GT5P with regards to real life is it fails to upset the balance of the car when you lift off mid corner.

I couldnt disagree with you more. 'Throttle tipulation oversteer" (TTO) occurs most easily in light, mid-engined cars around fast corners...so take out a lotus elise on the daytona speeway roadcourse, and try lifting while turning into the small chicane before the finish. you'll spin before you can say "oh....AWESOME!" (i really appreciate this kind of realism.) If you want a physical explanation......When you lift the throttle in a well balanced car, the front end will lurch forward slightly because of the abrupt stop of acceleration. This leads to less weight on the rear wheels and consequently less grip to use. At the same time the front wheels gain more grip and start turning in faster than the rear wheels can handle...and as a result, off the track you go! Try giving MORE gas for more grip...strange huh?

Everyone knows that. This is a sim forum, we all know that driving a real car can kill you, and a sim will not. There are comparisons that can be made though, and that is what this thread is all about. A lot of the things in the game do mimic real driving very well though.
I have seen motion cockpits, that would simulate driving into a wall, very well on this site too. They are only for pc sims though. Some are so violent that a five point harness is needed to use the racing setup.

It all depends on how far you are willing to take your sim experience. A normal controller will not give you much info into how the car is handling. Get a g25 and it will up your feeling of the "car" that much more. Go buy a frex setup and you will start to feel even more out about how the car is handling. Or you can go and get this
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/22/force-dynamics-401-simulator-chair-is-pure-abuse/
Then you may start to experience what it's like, to take a real car and run it into a wall. How far you want to take your sim racing experience is up to you.

I do not think the downshifting has enough pull. I just don't feel like I am downshifting, it is like when I let off the gas and downshift it doesn't have that pull or grab. IDK.

This is one of the strange things about GT5P: no real feel for the downshifting, + no consequences for not matching RPM to the gear shift. Why wouldn't they model this (at least in Pro physics)? Ferrari Challenge does it (sort-of) with a crunching of gears & miss-shift if your RPMs are way off for the shift.

...no consequences for not matching RPM to the gear shift. Why wouldn't they model this ?

As much as I like gt5p there is a lot of projecting people do about what is-or-isnt being simulated in the physics engine. Here we have a case of an extremely basic function NOT being accounted for. Matching revs is a requirement going back to the Model-T. I only mention it because some people make it sound like PD has left no stone unturned in its obsessive demand for simulation.

One technique in tt mode is to downshift from whatever gear and speed you are in on a straight, right into first gear, just as you begin to brake. One of the fastest leaderboard guys in the world does this (Imallin7777).

The speed sense is fine I think...GT4 did this with the super cars and my God that was insanely overdone..too much blur effect. Hopefully this time around they can do it better, i just hate when they use too much blur effect to make it look like the car is actually moving fast, it distracts you from the action sometimes.

GT4 has no blur effects, GT never has.

Either your eyes or TV can't keep up.

One technique in tt mode is to downshift from whatever gear and speed you are in on a straight, right into first gear, just as you begin to brake. One of the fastest leaderboard guys in the world does this (Imallin7777).

Oh I hate that and the car is bouncing off limiter (when in real life the engine would be dragged well past limiter into engine rebuilders hands), tons of people do it intentional or not, it's my number one pet peeve when viewing others replays.

If you turn ABS off it seems to me that downshifting without rev matching (using G25 clutch) while trailing-in does reduce stability a lot, but with ABS on it's effect is much reduced.

Last edited:
I couldnt disagree with you more. 'Throttle tipulation oversteer" (TTO) occurs most easily in light, mid-engined cars around fast corners...so take out a lotus elise on the daytona speeway roadcourse, and try lifting while turning into the small chicane before the finish. you'll spin before you can say "oh....AWESOME!" (i really appreciate this kind of realism.) If you want a physical explanation......When you lift the throttle in a well balanced car, the front end will lurch forward slightly because of the abrupt stop of acceleration. This leads to less weight on the rear wheels and consequently less grip to use. At the same time the front wheels gain more grip and start turning in faster than the rear wheels can handle...and as a result, off the track you go! Try giving MORE gas for more grip...strange huh?

*****Throttle Response*****

The way I see its, is, every car in the game is automatic. Unless one has a wheel with a clutch...and engages it, the car will be semi automatic. A semi automatic car is much more stable than a standard car.

With the element of a clutch thrown into the fold, each car behaviors completely different, thus changing your perception of the game. 💡

💡*****Throttle Response*****💡

Here we have a case of an extremely basic function NOT being accounted for. Matching revs is a requirement going back to the Model-T. I only mention it because some people make it sound like PD has left no stone unturned in its obsessive demand for simulation.

Oh I hate that and the car is bouncing off limiter (when in real life the engine would be dragged well past limiter into engine rebuilders hands), tons of people do it intentional or not, it's my number one pet peeve when viewing others replays.

Yep, one of the things that makes me groan watching time trial replays as well. Lets see them do that trick in GT5 when we have damage modelling implemented. See how long they last then.

I have to admit I abandoned using the clutch on my G25 after a couple of weeks using it with GT5P, as I found myself uncompetitive with it & the lack of "feel" made it not particularly satisfying to use. I wonder how many G25 users are using the clutch in online racing? However, I do always (where appropriate) use the H-shifter, even though I think that is also a disadvantage compared to sequential shifting - the more you have to do with your hands, the less focus there is on brake/throttle/steering. I don't know how controller drivers manage?!

I actually feel that people tend to drive too well in GT5P, partly due to the endless repetition of the same few tracks. After hundreds of laps you come to learn exactly where the best line & brake points are. This takes some of the raw edge & excitement out of the racing IMO. The ability to run a series of races on different tracks, as in Ferrari Challenge, rather than the same track over & over again, would help.

As much as I like gt5p there is a lot of projecting people do about what is-or-isnt being simulated in the physics engine. Here we have a case of an extremely basic function NOT being accounted for. Matching revs is a requirement going back to the Model-T. I only mention it because some people make it sound like PD has left no stone unturned in its obsessive demand for simulation.

I couldn't have said it better. 👍 That is indeed one thing about these forums that continually surprises me.

I have to admit I abandoned using the clutch on my G25 after a couple of weeks using it with GT5P, as I found myself uncompetitive with it & the lack of "feel" made it not particularly satisfying to use. I wonder how many G25 users are using the clutch in online racing? However, I do always (where appropriate) use the H-shifter, even though I think that is also a disadvantage compared to sequential shifting - the more you have to do with your hands, the less focus there is on brake/throttle/steering. I don't know how controller drivers manage?!

I've stopped using the clutch since the latest update as the sensitivity and amount of missed shifts is completely unrealistic. I still run with the H-shifter when appropriate and even blip the throttle on downshifts (though it's completely unnecessary, but it's a hard habit to break from other sims).

Last edited:
Back