GT6 1.21 Updated Sound Thread

• Thread starter FoRiZon
  • 295 comments
The Lancia Delta now makes a great sound, especially when you change gears.

Speaking of changing gear sounds, I definitely noticed that when driving the Acura NSX '91 (the premium NSX). At first I thought I was only hallucinating, so I tested it by changing gears in different rpms. Turns out I wasn't. I kind of like that little touch PD included. Might try the Delta later. 👍

Speaking of changing gear sounds, I definitely noticed that when driving the Acura NSX '91 (the premium NSX). At first I thought I was only hallucinating, so I tested it by changing gears in different rpms. Turns out I wasn't. I kind of like that little touch PD included. Might try the Delta later. 👍
All those sounds have been there loooooooong time, updated audio mixing gives them out also to "Not so proper sounds systems".

I'll start to understand all whiners of GT6(&GT5) sounds.. But I have told them this from day one on GT5, it's about sound mixing and your sound system.

I have pre 1.21 replays doing some laps in my 430 Scuderia and normal LFA and they both play the old sounds when you view the replay on 1.21, proof in the LFA's case that PD did not actually take any sounds out of the game. In fact they most likely changed none of the existing sound files (would have to check more cars to completely verify), merely added some mixes and changed engine sound hex for a few cars.

All those sounds have been there loooooooong time, updated audio mixing gives them out also to "Not so proper sounds systems".

I'll start to understand all whiners of GT6(&GT5) sounds.. But I have told them this from day one on GT5, it's about sound mixing and your sound system.
A good surround sound system makes a difference, but it makes a difference to all games. It makes GT's sound package better, doesn't make it good or raise it to the level of most other games.

Barely had a chance to try out 1.21 really. While testing out the track editor last night in my different Civics ('91 - '97 all with either sports or semi-racing exhausts), I was immediately disappointed that the sounds have been completely changed and are nothing like 4 banger engines anymore, or any car in existence for that matter.

Shame, they were some of my favourite cars and I specifically installed those exhausts on all 4 banger cars in the game, as it was one of the best and most accurate sound samples in GT, and now it's ruined :(

What's your audio system ?

Yes, sound in replays is unchanged. In my opinion, the sounds aren't any better now, they're just marginally different. I feel GT5's 2.02 was a more significant change.

I don't see the point of the update though, I don't think anybody is expecting to see big changes for GT6, why not just let it be than keep experimenting with it until it no longer works (we've been there before). All I want is a finished product within the PS3 limits that I can comeback to in the future when it no longer has support instead of an aspirational package that was left undone and was never tied together.

I say this because I don't think GT6 will survive for much longer, PD needs to learn to bring closure to things, GT5 was left unplayable because it relied on seasonal events to make progress anywhere near acceptable. GT5 is only good for hot lapping now.

This has become more of a rant now but I hope GT6 receives better treatment because I plan on keeping my PS3 until it dies and I don't want 40 GB worth of space on my hard drive to just be wasted on a game that is only good for hot lapping.

Yes, sound in replays is unchanged. In my opinion, the sounds aren't any better now, they're just marginally different. I feel GT5's 2.02 was a more significant change.

Well, not every car got their sound changed... but if you look closely, in this case listen, you will notice that some of the cars got improved sounds. Take the Alpine A110 for a spin (the premium one), or the Renault R8 Gordini. Once you do that, come again and say you don't notice any change...

Also some cars suffered some subtle changes, others weren't even touched...

Another suggestion for everyone to try out, the HPA Motorsports FT565. Sounds pretty nice to me, any thoughts?

What's your audio system ?
All you need is a semi-decent discrete audio setup ("2.1" or more), or decent headphones (not "expensive"; decent), and for the game's output to match whatever hardware you have. Most built-in TV speakers are useless, for general use - horrible response, horrible dynamic range, horrible directional artefacts. Butchering audio design so it sounds "good" on such awful hardware should be a crime (unless it's optional).

Most people don't have discrete hardware, but most people don't turn off the multi-channel output options on their consoles, either. OdeFinn is suggesting that PD have "addressed" that by cross-mixing the surround and bass channels to the front. I suspect this is true. The PS3 GTs have tended to be set up with 5.1 output (because HDMI) into stereo hardware (TVs) by many players, so they end up missing half the sound output - and it's usually exhausts that get cut out this way.

This cross-mixing should be a default-on option that could be toggled off for the adventurous / clued in, as OdeFinn said.

I don't know if it's been mentioned before in the thread but did the Chapparal Vision X car always having a deep bass whoosh sound on the brakes before? Maybe reverse thrust?

I can't remember hearing it before now and it sounds brilliant in any view.

All you need is a semi-decent discrete audio setup ("2.1" or more), or decent headphones (not "expensive"; decent), and for the game's output to match whatever hardware you have. Most built-in TV speakers are useless, for general use - horrible response, horrible dynamic range, horrible directional artefacts. Butchering audio design so it sounds "good" on such awful hardware should be a crime (unless it's optional).

Most people don't have discrete hardware, but most people don't turn off the multi-channel output options on their consoles, either. OdeFinn is suggesting that PD have "addressed" that by cross-mixing the surround and bass channels to the front. I suspect this is true. The PS3 GTs have tended to be set up with 5.1 output (because HDMI) into stereo hardware (TVs) by many players, so they end up missing half the sound output - and it's usually exhausts that get cut out this way.

This cross-mixing should be a default-on option that could be toggled off for the adventurous / clued in, as OdeFinn said.

I have a really cheap 5.1 Phillips Home Theater and its amazing the diference it makes. One thing that I find fantastic is how each tire makes the sound on a different channel when needed (if the front right tire skids, you listen it on the front right channel) and we'll after this update the sound distribution seem improved somehow.

About the cars, I've noticed the muffled effect on the cockpit cam has been reduced, now it feels alright. Had a blast racing my 500pp Evo X today. Sounds good.

Overrall, "new" sounds became more natural.

For accuracy, I have mixed feelings. Some are closer to reality. Others are also "bad" than before. But nothing is worse.

That's just my opinion.

So again, its a case of inconsistency.

I have pre 1.21 replays doing some laps in my 430 Scuderia and normal LFA and they both play the old sounds when you view the replay on 1.21, proof in the LFA's case that PD did not actually take any sounds out of the game. In fact they most likely changed none of the existing sound files (would have to check more cars to completely verify), merely added some mixes and changed engine sound hex for a few cars.

That's the strange thing though: The replays don't reflect the sound changes, actually driving them reflects the sound changes.

List update:

Megane R. S. Throphy '11
Megane R. S' 08
Shelby Spercharged Series One
Ford RS200

Also the general changes for all cars.

Last edited:
I need a hug....

I'm gonna go lie down...

Now you know how those of us that drive real life stock and modded Corvettes feel like when we listen to the utter tripe PD tries to parm off on us as C3, C4, C5, C6 & C7 Corvettes.

I am too embarrassed to show friends and family Gran Turismo... While I can make a car that looks similar to my real life ride in game - it does not sound anything like the real thing. And neither do any of the other Vettes.

Out of all the cars I've tried in this update, the best I have to say is the Megane RS Trophy.

Not only is the sample correct, there is a balance between how airy the car sounds and the actual tone of the exhaust. It's about 50/50, though I'd reduce the volume of air passing by about 15%.

The second best sounding car is the Impreza S206, the sample is correct but the car sounds way too airy.

The Lexus CCSR sounds nice too.

Another issue is that when the cars are on power, the sound really comes out however when you're off throttle or idle, the cars are too quiet. I think it's a matter of mixing there.

Back