GT6 1.21 Updated Sound Thread

• Thread starter FoRiZon
  • 295 comments
I feel some changes in AMUSE S2000s
Their sounds become all same, and I think its quite good.
Can you confirm them? (sorry i dont have confidence)

Someone check the Diablo GT2, apart from the transmission whigne, I can definitely make out that V12. Sounds really nice if you can isolate it with the in-game sound position. Not sure if new though.

We're not talking about the same thing, I don't think. I'm referring to PD's sound synthesis system, as demonstrated on the Red Bull, Senna and some VGT cars. There is an emulation of the raspiness of exhaust pipes that has changed.

I'm not able to comment on changes to individual channels, because I use a virtualisation of the surround "field". I do feel that the mix overall could be described as more bassy, but I wasn't sure if that was partly due to a volume change (I kept the volume the same so I could A/B the update).
Rasp, crispy, resonating tone of exhaust pipes on AES sound synthesis, that sound is coming only if surround channel delay is "wrong" and bass channel volume is too low.

Same kinda effect what happens on those mixed stereo "brainwave" white noise recordings, just static noise if you hear one channel, but when you hear both it changes to pulsating sound. Same happened on practically all cars before 1.21 update, now after update mixing between these noises is increased and it is not so necessary to hear both channels on precise volumes, but also this hurts immersion of huge bass sound coming from exhaust pipes, coz it flattens effect of that pulsating bass rumble.

Here's example from 1.20, where is that rasp?

Last edited:
Rasp, crispy, resonating tone of exhaust pipes on AES sound synthesis, that sound is coming only if surround channel delay is "wrong" and bass channel volume is too low.

Real exhausts have "rasp". So based on that, it's a necessary component of an engine sound synthesiser, and that specifically is what I was referring to. The resonance is also a deliberate component of the synthesis, similar in execution to some synths from the '80s.

I don't have "channel delay" settings, or separate bass amplification. I A/B'd the game on the exact same hardware settings, before and after the update, anyway, to remove the possibility of such changes. After all, the perceived sound quality doubles for every 3 dB of output volume...

Same kinda effect what happens on those mixed stereo "brainwave" white noise recordings, just static noise if you hear one channel, but when you hear both it changes to pulsating sound. Same happened on practically all cars before 1.21 update, now after update mixing between these noises is increased and it is not so necessary to hear both channels on precise volumes, but also this hurts immersion of huge bass sound coming from exhaust pipes, coz it flattens effect of that pulsating bass rumble.

I don't have discrete surround channels, so any change of that nature would not manifest itself on my listening hardware. It can be successfully ruled out in my case as a result.

The game itself has lots of phasing (over and above anything due purely to hardware), partly due to shared (algorithmic) noise sources, and partly due to the "3D" mixing engine, and the fixed nature of samples (playing the same sound back from multiple locations in a virtual space results in the overlaying of "filtered" copies of the same sound: a textbook phaser effect)

After looking around, it appears not only does the IS-F CCS-R sound different but its using a completely new sample. I can't hear that sound on anything else.

Someone check the Diablo GT2, apart from the transmission whigne, I can definitely make out that V12. Sounds really nice if you can isolate it with the in-game sound position. Not sure if new though.

Are you sure you don't mean the Diablo GT? The GT2 honestly doesn't sound any different to me.

After looking around, it appears not only does the IS-F CCS-R sound different but its using a completely new sample. I can't hear that sound on anything else.

Are you sure you don't mean the Diablo GT? The GT2 honestly doesn't sound any different to me.
No, the race version, GT2 '98... Must be me.

There is a change in the Yellowbird I think. Not much but it sounds a bit closer to what it should now.
All RUF'S have a new engine note for their pre equipped exhausts tested with CTR2, RGT,yellow bird and BTR.
They sound amazing!
Yet to test the 3400s

Some of the NASCAR cars sound different.

As far as I've seen so far:

2013 #43 Aric Almirola sounds deeper, throatier almost.
2013 #18 Kyle Busch sounds the same.
2013 #20 Matt Kenseth sounds high pitched, almost no bass to it.

Will look at more today if need be.

20 car sounds the same to me (though the bass is indeed gone having driven this a lot online)
24 car sounds same
48 car sounds same.

That's all the ones I already have an tested.

The Ferrari Enzo + racing exhaust sounds much more like a V12 now. Also, turbo noises seem to be more distinct, I noticed it on my Lotus Elise, and especially on the 4.2 V8 Audi R8.

I don't know, seems to sound more like a lower pitched version of the V8 Sample from the F430s.

No the 599 has the same sound. It is quite different compare to the aston martin V12 vantage or the one 77.
Yep, the above video confirms it - thanks!

Must have been the quieter engine note that confused me in this case, so it just sounded gruntier because the exhaust is louder in the mix. 👍

One thing that I enjoy with GT sounds are how my rear speakers play the exhaust and my front sound like the motor... If I'm driving the 458, the motor and the exhaust mainly come from my rear speakers. This is on my 7.1. A lot of cars sound better in my opinion less whiny..

My God...Does a 2002 Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG really sound like the car in our game? I see it's listed on the OP, so I took mine out for a spin. Put the car in 3rd or 4th gear below 4,000 RPM and it sounds like someone blowing butt bubbles in a bathtub full of water. :eek: :lol:

Hot hatchbacks sound the same across the board now, the Megane RS '08 and the 207 GTi were actually better before. At least the exhaust note matched their real life counterparts (I own both).

The Honda Element has a new sound. Sounds more Vtech-like, and it's much quieter than before (stock exhaust).
VW Bora 4MOTION stock exhaust sounds like a V6 (finally).

Auda Le Mans Quattro and Audi Nuvolari now sound like the R8 LMS, albeit deeper. The Pikes Peak Quattro uses the same sound byte as the other two Audi concepts, I find it likely it has changes sound as well.

Auda Le Mans Quattro and Audi Nuvolari now sound like the R8 LMS, albeit deeper. The Pikes Peak Quattro uses the same sound byte as the other two Audi concepts, I find it likely it has changes sound as well.
If logic had any factor in these updated sounds, PD would keep the V8 sample in the Pikes Peak, while the other two concepts have the V10. Idk because I haven't tested it yet.

Back