GT6 bgm (or: "Remember when Gran Turismo soundtracks were good?"

• Thread starter jhousdan
  • 74 comments
United States
United States
jhousdan
Ok so my concern is two-part...

#1. GT soundtracks used to be awesome... I even remember purchasing the game soundtrack for GT2 when it came out... wtf happened to getting some big name recording artists in the soundtrack? The music for 5&6 were seriously hosed.

#2 (in light of the former, this one is much more important to me) I have the option of including my own custom music in the game. .. which is great... but if I try to remove all the indigenous music from the track list then it won't play any music at all. Why can we not cut out the in game music completely and keep our own track list? If GT is gonna insist on me listening to their music as well as my own then I'm gonna need them to step up their audio game here.

I think the music in GT games is still good. That said, I have it all turned off anyway because of the online bugs it caused in GT5. I did turn it on a few days ago,went into an online lobby & got a bug I'd never even seen before (my car started driving itself).

PD should give us more options though, so we can set it up exactly how we like it.

I think you're confusing low budget soundtracks and newer artists. GT6 has some really good music, i.e we still have Daiki Kasho, we've also got Delta Heavy, Miike Snow, Beck, Jagwar Ma etc. None of those are cheap.

GT5 music was awful, but GT6 music is very good, if you filter the musics you don't like. I have about 60 musics for the menu but I disable in-race music.

Daiko Kasho is NOT good, infact it's bloody awful. A soulless attempt at making anything from techno to punk to rock or sometimes all 3 poorly combined. It's this very artist that makes me head straight for my own music. One tune by him/her/them might be acceptable but half the damn soundtrack?? Really?! Lets go back to GT4 for example. At the very beginning of the game we were treated to Kasabian pounding out Reason is Treason, from an album that had only just been released when the game 1st came out. They are now one of the biggest Indie/rock groups going and celebrating their 10th anniversary this year. Same goes for the Kaiser Chiefs with I Predict A Riot. That album charted AFTER the game was released. Did GT4 help those 2 bands? Maybe, maybe not but I'm sure the exposure didn't harm them - it's the reason I'm fans of both of them and have tickets for Kasabians 10th anniversary concert this June. Then on top of those 2, GT4 included Van Halen, Jeff Beck, Queens Of The Stone Age, Eagles Of Death Metal, Spiderbait, The Hives, Snow Patrol, Joe Satriani, Franz Ferdinand, The Infadels, Jet, Feeder, Apollo 440, Judas Priest, Jimmy Eat World, Papa Roach and many many others!

GT5 was a huge disappointment but at least they gave us the option to carry over our own music and thankfully that was one of the few features retained for number 6. It's just a shame that they didn't include practically anything of note in their own music. Apart from Wolfmother, I've not heard a single piece of music I want to hear. This to me is very bad as it means that when I enter an online lounge and people are using those damn headsets, I have to go without any music what so ever as I refuse to be forced to listen to the terrible in game music and have elected to turn it all off - just as I do with headset 'mute' when I enter a room with headsets as I don't want to hear constant swearing, your scabby dog barking, kids shouting or worse still - techno music being played in the background.

The Chemical Brothers were in GT5, dont't forget. They're no one time act. But of course they are not to everybodies taste. I have'nt gone through the current list in GT6 yet, but have'nt heard any familia songs like mentioned above.

The Chemical Brothers were in GT5, dont't forget. They're no one time act. But of course they are not to everybodies taste. I have'nt gone through the current list in GT6 yet, but have'nt heard any familia songs like mentioned above.
People seem to forget that this is a game for 2014. They must pitch it towards the 8-18 year old range, otherwise GT will die, and putting in 90's punk music won't help promote it to that audience. I'm 14, and although I love the music from GT3 and GT4, I think the GT6 music is still of the same quality as those soundtracks - it's just simply more modern music.

The older GT's were certainly more catchy, GT1 in particular. The bad thing about some of the GT5-GT6 tracks is that they are catchy but annoying. You know when there's one, two or three songs in a game which are actually good? And you wish the rest of the music in the game was just as good? That's exactly how I feel about GT5's and GT6's soundtracks.

Overall I think GT5's soundtrack was a mix of very good and annoying. GT6's is a mix of somewhat-good tracks and a few really good ones (Most of which are from older GT's)

Also I would like to Add that GT5's USD theme was just like anything from GT1-GT3

This is like discussing favourite colours and demanding that red is the only good one.

GT5 had some good tunes (to me). I didn't realize it until years after release when some of those songs got into broader circulation. Does GT6 have good tunes? Depends on your tastes.

I use my own BGM, but it isn't a "my songs are better" reason. I see it as an opportunity to listen to my newest albums and stuff that will never be in GT, like Stone Sour or Arctic Monkeys (the new album "AM" is spectacular!)

Theoretically, one could listen to the older soundtracks in personal background music, thereby exploding nostalgia-bomb(s).
This is exactly what I did. My racing play list has stuff from GT 1-4 (and yes, the MCR song from GT5...The soundtracks only saving grace to me)

GT6 has awesome music, what are you talking about? There just aren't enough tracks if anything. I'd say nostalgia is the only reason we treasure the older GT soundtracks too much. Looking back, GT4 only had like 3 really good songs. GT5 had quite a few catchy racing songs, and 6 has just as many good ones in my view, but there just aren't enough tracks.

Besides, custom bgm lets us hear whatever we want whether it's a GT "Greatest hits" playlist or a buncha eurobeat XD

I will admit, the menu BGM is rather decent, but when you actually head out to the track...
...it turns into s***.
When I enter an online lounge and people are using those damn headsets, I have to go without any music what so ever as I refuse to be forced to listen to the terrible in game music and have elected to turn it all off - just as I do with headset 'mute' when I enter a room with headsets as I don't want to hear constant swearing, your scabby dog barking, kids shouting or worse still - techno music being played in the background.
Yes, I will admit that it IS extremely annoying when your own custom playlist is turned off when others are using headsets. That is the sole reason why I never allow voice chat in my rooms (or any other rooms that I visit for that matter). But even in the latter two, there is an annoying bug/glitch that ****s it up... whenever I have custom playlists enabled, and whenever I head to the track 1st or 2nd time since starting the came, it will be mute (like always) for about a second, but then it locks up for 1-2 seconds, ignores the custom tracks, and spits out the game's awful BGM instead. IT'S ANNOYING!
*Rant over*

I will admit, the menu BGM is rather decent, but when you actually head out to the track...
...it turns into s***.

Yes, I will admit that it IS extremely annoying when your own custom playlist is turned off when others are using headsets. That is the sole reason why I never allow voice chat in my rooms (or any other rooms that I visit for that matter). But even in the latter two, there is an annoying bug/glitch that ****s it up... whenever I have custom playlists enabled, and whenever I head to the track 1st or 2nd time since starting the came, it will be mute (like always) for about a second, but then it locks up for 1-2 seconds, ignores the custom tracks, and spits out the game's awful BGM instead. IT'S ANNOYING!
*Rant over*

The only reason I give PD any lattitude on the issue is because I know they're probably way more focused on a seamless, inviting gameplay experience... which by default is probably more focused on the racing/ navigation/etc, etc that I'm pretty convinced music is dead last on their list of concerns.

Ive been called many things in my life... "hipster" has never been one of them
:) I'm just kidding. Don't mean anything by it. I just mean if you're going to dislike certain bands/songs because they're popular then you're gonna miss out on a lot of music.

Actually, you hit the nail on the head. You don't like Beiber's music. I'm sure many here don't like Beiber's music.

However, his MASSIVE wealth and fame, derived from his music would indicate that other people like his music just fine.

Dude.... Just don't do that. Don't prove me wrong for the sake of proving me wrong. Justin Bieber's music is Objectively bad and leave it at that.

It was thanks to GT1-3 that got me into Feeder, up until around 2008, I purchased every album they released, including limited editions. It was also a stepping stone into some harder rock/metal and acoustic sessions as well, if it wasn't for GT1 and hearing Feeder's Sweet 16 for the first time, I would never have found this band, and it was my favourite for years. Buck Rogers, which was on the radio around GT1-2's time, didn't do anything for me, so I wouldn't have bothered trying to find more from the band.

Obviously music is subjective though. Nothing will beat GT1's playlist for me, especially in the menu music. Some of the manufacturer's themes and the pre-race/tuning menu theme blow me away with massive nostalgia to this day and none of the sequels have come close.

GT1-4's intro music is perfect as well, each one is a fantastic choice, I can't say the same for 5 and 6 however. Menu music is an improvement in 6 over 5 though. In the races though, I always have music turned off.

Last edited:
Gt5 had one song I fell in love with, but I can't remember the name. He said something like "To the basement people, to the basement. " I turned gt6 music off once I realised how much more realistic it is (Would you be playing distracting music while practically flying at 200mph?).

Gt5 had one song I fell in love with, but I can't remember the name. He said something like "To the basement people, to the basement. " I turned gt6 music off once I realised how much more realistic it is (Would you be playing distracting music while practically flying at 200mph?).

Two Door Cinema Club - Undercover Martyn

Back