GT6 Duel of the Week 2 - The Last Lap

GT3 vs What???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
8 men entered, 3 men ran. Perhaps Master Blaster's cousin, Master @ThrasherDBS scared them off.

531210_640x640

Had no idea who that was. Looked him up and cursed the fact that I got compared to a freaky guy from the most uninteresting looking Mad Max movie.

So hybrids huh? This ought to be interesting.

Tsukuba Trial:
Pious Prius - 1:15.856
Insight - 1:17.502

So the car who started the hybrid car craze (and literally one of my least favorite cars on the face of the earth) was the faster one in this trial. Any laps after the extra juice from the electric motor taps out are useless on both cars. The Prius was faster because it had more power. (Jesus, THAT'S a rare sentence. I feel dirty typing it too.)

They're both losers though.

Horrible Bosses vs. Helen Keller's Japanese Cousins...

Since this thread's glorious leader obviously fell down and hit his head very, very hard, and then took a week off to recover in hospital just to be released prematurely, he's come up with this week's duel. :scared: :lol:

I went with the Honda first, and actually found it rather easy to drive... this was the first time ever turning a wheel in this version of it. So, I was surprised with it... till the end of the second lap. After that, it went downhill from there. Yes, the battery depleted THAT quickly. Along with it, it's engine power, speed and my patience. It still cornered well enough, but from lap 3 on, it was simply slower and slower still. Finally the TT was over... time to switch to other one.

It had been some time since I hopped into the Prius, so the first thing I noticed was just how much harder it was to turn compared to the Insight. It also had a harder time slowing down when braking. So when I checked the first lap's time out, I was shocked to see how far ahead it was. Hmmm. :odd: The other thing was, it actually gave me one whole lap more battery life before it went into snore mode... time for auto drive that's built into the PS3 and GT6.

Between the two of these cars, the Prius gets the nod for this duel... but I'll never say "Go get one!!!" to anyone. EVER. But to try and leave this review on a more positive note, let's have these people have a say...

Cheers

Ryk a dope - but the Prius... it is the 327PP G Touring Selection one? As the Insight is 328PP?

---

Battle of the Future, Yesterday.

Now many people will scoff at these technological terrors but if it were not for such ecologically sound cars we would hot have 58 kilograms of Nickel Cadmium sludge to dispose of when these cars are spent. (* No Idea if it has that little but 58 is a nice vague number.)

The Prius is the beloved hoopty of the Los Angeles Waiter, I mean Hollywood Actor. And a well worn punchline for most hack stand-up comedians since the turn of the Millennium. (Insert some dreadfully dated Prius joke here.)

The Insight is the second generation of Honda's hybrid hope. The first incarnation had some shrouded rear wheels and really tried to look slippery. The one in this duel is a bit more mundane and normal to look at.

Now in a City these cars make a lot of sense, Big powerful petrol engines for those steep inclines inside a parking garage, and a beefed up windscreen wiper motor to power the wheels if things get a bit urbanised and you are crawling along in gridlocked traffic.

*** Round 0 *** How does it drive? ***

The Prius -
Ryk's first impression was one of shock. It is so far removed from what he likes. The discombobulated drive train was beyond horrible
The first grabber was no gearbox... so driving a four door Golf Kart... then the revs rise and stick so, no vocalisation from the car on how fast it is going or how hard the engine is working. Step off the throttle to put some brakes... Wow, Just wow.

The Insight -
Well, the Prius at least woke Ryk up. The Insight didn't feel as bad, but that could just have been Ryk getting used to this modern type of "Yeah Maaan!" hippie Californian driving.

These cars may be ... adequate... for pootling around a town. No heavy loaded corners, Everything uniform, sterile and slow. The punchy acceleration at low speeds is commendable and Ryk guesses that the ultra quiet/ low emissions are both "nice" qualities to these cars.

But, it felt like when Ryk stepped into the car his body was pixelated, and then a few cubes of his psychopath soul floated away, leaving Ryk's inner driver empty and wishing for the good old days that will never come back again...

Yeah, Ryk would pick the Honda as it had an amusing Paint Chip.

(After posting this Ryk Sold these hybrids, Roasted a Gammon Joint drank a bottle of Icelandic Vodka and drove some filthy laps in a Lotus Elise, Brutal four cylinder powah in the middle, sent to a set of the very Hardest of Comforts onto the rear wheels Ryk could slap on. The front tyres were Comfort Softs, because in a world of understeering hybrid eco slugs, Ryk has alot of oversteer to feast upon!)

That took so long Ryk also ran a Renault 5 Turbo at Tsukuba.
Lovely Loose Opposite Lock.
Ryk feels better now!.... And just won a Daihatsu Midget II D-type '89. 33bhp of rear wheel drive awesomeness.

Here's my quick mini-review. Heading out of town and time to pack. Good grief I hate packing.

Within the limitations of our duel the Prius is clearly the winner. Its a lot faster down the straight, turns decently and has acceptable rotation. The boost from the battery lasts longer and I got about 4 laps before it ran out. It's also surprising tuned up, and was a real weapon at the Autumn Ring 350pp QM a couple of years ago. Outside of those parameters, it's not so good. It's top pp is less than 400, whereas the Insight has 434pp if I remember correctly. The Insight has the advantage of a proper transmission, unlike that CVT thing of the Prius. Any faults in the handling can easily be tuned out. And the best part is the Insight has a neat body kit. All you can do to the Prius is give it a rather ugly looking wing.

My times at Tsukuba:

Toyota Prius G '09 1:13.175
Honda Insight LS '09 115.111

Verdict: Honda Insight LS '09! Now for a pretty picture.

WujYj1cdllNokHx3j7_0.jpg

Alright, after a few extra votes over a few extra days, it's time to finally wrap this up.

Last week we had two of the most boring cars in GT6 go head to head at Tsukuba. (@Draggon won the time trial)

Personally, I'd pick the Insight for the interest factor alone. It might lack in performance and lap times, but the bodykit and cleaner look make up for it. But in a race, none of that would matter and you'd be biting the clean air of the Toyota. So I vote Prius

Lets tally up the votes:
Prius: 4
Insight: 2

Looks like the winner is the...

2010-toyota-prius-photo-283489-s-1280x782.jpg

Toyota Prius (G)!!!

You're all gonna love what I have in store today...

GT6 Duel of the Week #105: Passion of the FT-1

This week is the ultimate showdown of our thread's beloved hero car. With a few wins under it's belt and the racing version loosing out to it's Lexus counterpart, it's time for the road version to once again stand up to its Lexus stablemate.

This week we have...

Toyota FT-1 Wallpaper.jpg

...the Toyota FT-1 Concept

against the...

2012_Lexus_LFA_Nurburgring_3.jpg

...Lexus LFA Nurburgring Edition

The time trial this week will take place in Hell. See you there.​

Nismo's back, baby!!!!

City of Arts and Sciences - Night.jpg

Lexus vs Toyoya, it's like doing Honda vs Acura or Nissan vs Infiniti... they're basically the same thing!

Oh boy, it feels good to be back in the reviewer's seat, eh!
Upon returning to the office, I found two keys on my desk. One for a Toyota FT-1, arguably DOTW's most popular sports car as of late, and the other to a Lexus LFA Nurburgring pack. This can only be interesting..

For starters, let's look at some facts and stats, eh?

Round 1: Please don't break the bank...
Both cars are pretty up there as far as pricing goes, but then this is understandable. One's a much anticipated concept sports car, the other's a limited release performance edition of an already critically acclaimed supercar. The Lexus will set you back $445,000, while the FT-1 will ask for a nice round figure of half a million.
Lexus: 1
Toyota: 0

Round 2: Living a colourful life!
The LFA probably boasts one of the largest palettes of any modern supercar in the game. But for some reason, the Nurburgring package only offers 4 of these colours. The FT-1 on the other hand, offers 9 colours, covering the basic essentials. Red, yellow, blue, black, silver, etc. There's also the graphite version of the FT-1, which is literally just another colour option, but it's labelled as a different car, so does it count..?
Either way, the Toyota wins!
Lexus: 1
Toyota: 1

Round 3: It's all about the details!
Both the Toyota and the Lexus are gifted the full premium treatment, with fully detailed interiors, functioning lights, wipers, and reverse lights. So they both get a point just for this.
Lexus: 2
Toyota: 2

Round 4: In the wise words of Clarkson... POWEEEERRRRRRRR!!!!!
After an oil change, the Lexus puts out 590bhp, which in any car is monstrous. The Toyota doesn't state it's power, but with a little Nismo know-how, I managed to figure out that it's power is around the 510bhp mark. The Lexus bests it by a whopping 80bhp!
Lexus: 3
Toyota: 2

Round 5: You're fat, and don't sugarcoat it... or you'll eat that too!
The Lexus, even with it's carbon fiber goodies and lack of luxuries, still manages to tip the scales at 1480kgs. The Toyota, once again, refuses to state it's weight (It's very self-concious), but with the same Nismo know-how I worked out it was around the 1330kg mark. The Toyota evens the score!
Lexus: 3
Toyota: 3

Round 6: PP
The Lexus has 554PP, while the Toyota has 551PP.
Lexus: 4

Round 7: Pimp my ride, dawg!
The Toyota, being a concept car, doesn't offer any custom parts, you can't change the wheels, you can't put on extra gauges, heck, you can't paint it aside from your initial choice! The Lexus however, allows you to paint it, add a few parts, add a driver number... It thrashes the Toyota in that department!
Lexus: 5

Round 8: Tuneability
Once again, the Toyota can't be touched here. What you see is what you get as far as performance as well as visuals. The Lexus however, can be given extra helpings of power, as well as weight loss.
Lexus: 6

As far as stats alone, the Lexus wastes the Toyota. But now, we come to the most important part. How do they feel to drive? To find out, I took the cars to Mount Panorama. Why would I go anywhere else?

Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_1.jpg

The Lexus felt brutal. No matter how gentle I was, it always seemed to want to fight me and every input I gave it! The brakes were also quite rubbish, it needed the entire chase just to pull up before turn 21 without going off! It managed to hit a speed of 303km/h down Conrod Striaght, and clocked in a time of 2:08.275. Still, the constant twitchiness and dancing up and down the mountain I had to deal with made it pretty unenjoyable. Fast, but furious!

Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit.jpg

The Toyota on the other hand is exactly the opposite. It went exactly where I pointed it, to the point where I sometimes over-did my moves because I didn't expect it to turn in quite so much! It might not have had the acceleration to rival the LFA, but the handling and stability was far superior. It clocked in at 294km/h down Conrod, and went on to set a 2:09.275!

The LFA is faster, it has more points going for it... but I still prefer the FT-1 over it! I don't care that it was slower, I don't care that you can't customize it, I don't even care that you can't paint it! It's the sort of car you just take to a track then thrash the living daylights out of, time and time again, any day of the week!

The Toyota wins!!! 👍

Attachments

• Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit.jpg
    Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
face off 2.jpg

SO I've ran this Toyota FT-1 a couple of times before -

In general it has won for the thread consistently. But for me; It beat the Aston Martin V12 Vantage, But lost out to the "designed by a girl" NSX Concept and was level with the "bog basic" Lexus LFA...

So when the FT-1 is put up against the LFA : Part Deux - the logical assumption will be that the 'improved' LFA should be better than the basic version... right?
fla turn.jpg

2m03.5 at Motegi - LFA
2m02.5 at Motegi - FT-1

These cars are pretty evenly matched in terms of ultimate lap pace - but if you need to do more than a single lap, then the FT-1 edges things out as it is less of a drinker and it also takes care of its rubber boots. In a longer race the LFA will run out of grip and try to wrestle you off the track into the weeds.

face off 3.jpg

I have to agree with Nismonathfive on most of his points. That can you tune them is one aspect I often forget about. Which is extra odd, as the FT-1 is a car that I had to fettle to drive it, as the stock brakes are so very touchy.

face off 4.jpg face off 5.jpg
Looks - Still happy when the FT-1 comes into view. The LFA is nice but it isn't great.

Sounds -
FT-1 - Turbocharged Straight Six - Eargasmotron! -
LFA - V10 into a triple pipe muffler - Not so great.

Paint Options -
The FT-1 has a few colours but the killer is you can't colour it yourself. Which is a bit of a shame.
The LFA has a much more limited palette, but you can respray it. (I did mine in ...? Well you tell me! - Name the paint Chip and you can win, a Coil of 50 feet of the very finest Wireless Cable.)

Twin Ring Motegi Road Course_2.jpg

I don't mind the LFA but I enjoy the "psycho girl" handling of the FT-1 when you drop the anchors into a corner. The FT-1 has a great personality when you are driving it, a bit more fun than the LFA whose nagging V10 whine made me remember fonder times last week in the Prius. Ah happy moments...

Twin Ring Motegi Road Course_4.jpg

Ryk would obviously choose the FT-1.

So I guess this is the last time we'll see the FT-1 in this thread for a while. At least with the 458, it was spaced enough so that it didn't feel like we were driving it every other week. (Which, speaking of, thanks for postponing this duel for a few weeks to curb that @MrWaflz55 )

I've lost track of the cars we've pit this one against so I'll just jump right into it.

Circuit de Ronda Trial:
FT-1 - 1:50.759
LFA - 1:51.336

So yay, FT-1 won. LFA felt more composed but the FT-1 was faster for some reason. How do they stack up number-wise? I don't know, Toyota's attitude on performance specs is "lol its a secret ;)". Kinda annoying in these sorts of competitions.

Another vote for the FT-1 here... I really didn't like the track in the TT this week, just wasn't my cup of tea I guess. So I took both to Nurburgring, seeing that's what this week's version of the LmFAo was built for. No contest there either. Not-so-rich Toyota destroys the rich Toyota in all possible ways I could think of.

Cheers

Last edited:
I made a TT run in the Luxury Fancy Automobile and had great difficulty keeping the back end on it. This weeks track is more suited to rally cars or a small MR like an Elise or maybe the Buzzing Bee (GSX). The Fancy Toyota One feels hugely better, but I'm slower, by a lot. Haven't completed my TT run yet, but I don't need to in order to place my vote for the Toyota FT-1. While making my way leisurely around the Ronda course my mind got fixated on why PD won't let us tune this thing. Sheesh.

Yes, yes. I have descended back from the countryside yet again to begin a new week for the thread. I just waited until Monday so we could get the full 7 days for this week.

GT6 Duel of the Week #106: Origins!

I totally forgot about the anniversary of this thread a few weeks ago, so to make up for that, here's a duel that takes inspiration from the first week ever of GT6 DoTW. We have two Japanese Sports Cars with four doors, and two giant wings. What will happen in this week's anniversary rumble?

Coincidentally, the two cars this week will also be the first models in their lineage to keep with the themes of "Origins!".

Introducing the...

1994_Subaru_ImprezaWRXSTi1.jpg

1994 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi

and the

autowp.ru_mitsubishi_lancer_evolution_i_5.jpg

1992 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR

In a twist, the duel this week will take place at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Nail the corkscrew with these two turbocharged fighters from Japan. Will two years of difference decide the battle or will we be surprised? Find out this week by throwing your driving helmet into the time trial ring!

These are cars that people wouldn't look twice at because of their more modern and improved bretheren, but these are still pretty fun to drive. 4WD cars tend to feel "sanitized", but these two still feel like they have a personality. One of them is an early Impreza and the other is my starter car in GT4. (I mean, it's my starter if I don't use the extra 100,000 cr I can import from a GT3 save.)

Laguna Seca Trial:
Impreza - 1:43.564
Lancer - 1:47.286

Kind of a blowout for the Impreza. Both cars have similar weight and similar behavior in the corners but the Impreza has more power than the Lancer. Of course, this 1994 model of Impreza had two years of refinement and performance tweaking, while the Lancer Evolution was in its neonatal stage in 1992. If it was the 1994 Evolution II put up against this Impreza, I feel as though this would've been a closer fight, but for now, the Impreza is the victor.

(Kinda makes me smile thinking of a battle between two rival sports cars from my birth year though.)

Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi '94
2.0L
266 hp / 7,000 rpm
228 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm
1,230 kg
438 pp

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR '92
2.0L
245 hp / 6,000 rpm
228 ft-lb / 3,000 rpm
1,240 kg
428 pp

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution II GSR '94
2.0L
262 hp / 6,500 rpm
228 ft-lb / 3,000 rpm
1,250 kg
433 pp

All 3 have 228 ft-lbs of torque. Impreza has 21 hp and 4 hp more than the Evo 1 and 2, respectively. It also weighs less than both Evo's by 10 and 20 kg.

Impreza wins. It wasn't until 1996 that the Evo IV comes close to being faster, but in my testing it still wasn't enough.

Not too Imprezed with Sir Lancerlot...

Xx5qvTz.jpg

This week I started off with the original Evo of the Lancer line, thinking that even though the numbers were not in its favour, that it would be closer in the end result. Sadly no... I did find it more stable in the turns, almost too stable tbh. It just didn't help it out enough. Nice enough to drive, but...

Jumping into the Subie added a heartbeat or two to the situation. It was definitely the more lively of the two cars, which added to the fun factor. After that, it was just a runaway. It's usually never a good idea to jump in to the first year of any model, but out of the box, the Subaru was more Imprezive. ;)

Not quite a Superu, but the clear winner all the same!

Cheers

Congratulations to @Draggon for once again setting the fastest laptimes around Laguna Seca this week in our time trial.

Okay, this week comes to a close. Just a recap: We featured two Japanese Sports-Sedan rivals against each other. But the twist this week was that both cars were the first available editions of each other in-game. While true that the Subaru was more powerful, it was surprising the gap in lap times between the initial models. The duel that comes down to fractions of a second today used to be so much more clear-cut in the Subaru's favour, so it stands to reason why it gained the unanimous vote this week.

Unanimous.gif

The winner of the 106th duel is the...

autowp.ru_subaru_impreza_wrx_sti_51.jpg

...Subaru Impreza WRX STi '94.

GT6 Duel of the Week #107: Concept Rally SUVs?

This week we're returning back to the theme of Subaru against Mitsubishi, but instead we see their Vision GT vehicles pitted against each-other. These Vision GT vehicles both represent a strange niche within the automotive world: performance SUVs. Let's see if the pairing of these two monsters is as clear-cut as the Impreza and Lancer.

this week features the...

article-subaru-viziv-gt-vision-gran-turismo-102299-546deb2a98ebd.jpg

Subaru Viziv Vision Gran Turismo

Mitsubishi_Concept_XR-PHEV_VGT_4.jpg

against the Mitsubishi XR-PHEV EVO Vision Gran Turismo

This weeks time trial will take place at Deep Forest Raceway, a classic PD original to coincide with these original machines. see you on the track!

I forgot to vote this week, not that it would have made a difference.

Actually, that's a fib. I've gotten way to obsessed by the current Quick Match at Trial Mountain. Anyway, these two cars are really overlooked.and I rarely even hear them mentioned. @shaunm80 has made up tunes for both of them so I may try them out after the TT.

Hey @MrWaflz55, why don't you ever participate in the TT? It's been a 3-way with Baron, Thrasher, and myself for quite awhile now. @Nismonath5 threatens to join us, but has remained incognito so far. ( I'm calling you out Nate! )

Latest Posts

Back