GT6 Duel of the Week 2 - The Last Lap

GT3 vs What???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, after testing the cars, this seems like it will be a close competition... in my hands, there's less than a 0.7 second difference between all 3 models that have only 3 letters/numbers in their names (NSX, LFA, FT1) from the famous rival JDM marques.

I wonder how close the other testers will come in their times??? Stay tuned people! :sly:

Cheers

Two concepts with a production model wedged in between, this certainly made for a reasonably close three-way. I gotta say though, I'm not used to the dueling cars not displaying any stats. No horsepower figures or weights, just performance points, and even then as I've seen many times in these 92 weeks of competition, higher performance points doesn't necessarily make it faster. After a go around the track where we sadly lost Jules Bianchi, the results are in, and I'd say it was reasonably close for it to be fun, but there are clear winners.

Suzuka 2014 Trial:
FT-1 - 2:13.227
NSX - 2:13.705
LFA - 2:13.986

Handily, all three competitors were tested in the same order as their speed evidently. Not much to say about them and their characteristics really. This was essentially two modernized Toyota Supras versus a 4WD NSX. Interestingly, the NSX, despite being 4WD still kicked the tail out a bit much like what I'd expect from the older model. However, the added weight of the new parts made it a little more sluggish to stop than what I would expect from the older car as well.

Toyota FT-1 wins.

Decided to run all three cars on SH tires, which I assume other people did(?). Plus, managed to make myself broke enough to be unable to afford the RH tires.

LFA: Didn't even bother. Probably behind the NSX, didn't have good impressions in practice.

NSX: 2:15.578
I don't much care for this thing. It oversteers too easily, and will do so if you so much as turn the wheel a bit too far. At one point, I slightly overcranked the wheel and the car tried to break loose at 133 MPH. 👎

FT-1: 2:14.998
I had a lot more room to improve, but that was what I landed for the time being. The FT-1 is a bit tricky to accelerate out of corners with, especially in 3rd and under. That was where I lost time, along with the braking zones. Generally speaking, solid car.

My vote goes to the FT-1, unfortunately. I was hoping the NSX would prove itself.

Edit: And the LFA is an Aunt Jemima.

Last edited:
Let's see what I found out about those 3 japanese supercars that eventhough 2 of them were projects when they were added into GT6, now NSX is a real car and FT1 is getting ready to replace Supra or become the next one.

Laptimes:

FT-1 - 2:11.421

LFA '10 - 2:12.360

NSX CONCEPT '13 - 2:13.915

Since I don't have the time needed to analyse the stats derived from GT6 through Motec, I will go through a sum up of their driving behaviour and announce the winner.

Using the 6-axis controller (and thus limitimg my feedback of the driving experience), I started the test by driving the NSX. After finishing all the test with the 3 cars, I feel I didn't push it as much as I could. I needed more laps to get in better touch with the track. And what a techical track that is!

So, NSX handles pretty well, its differentials and electric motors are combined beautifully to save the driver from diasaster when he gets over the limit. You can see its weight affecting the limit, especially in low speed corners. When pushed hard, its massive torque brakes the traction of the rear end first when cornering as its 50:50 weight distribution and the placement of the engine behind the driver seat tends to cause this usually. Its cornering isn't bad either, as its stable and effective too. Its design isn't impressive, neither on the exterior nor on the interior, just a japanese R8 from the outside imho. Not having much personality and that counts much in the supercar world.

The second one tested was the mighty Lexus LFA. What a car! Its magnificent engine, derived directly from the F1 experience of Toyota, reaching 9500rpm, screaming wildly, makes any car enthusiast happy to hear. It gives its power linearly as any great NA engine. The 6-speed gearbox has long gear ratios comared to both its rivals and this isn't helping much in braking from high speeds. The handling is great with the carbon monocoque chassis being stable, the suspension settings tuned a bit on the understeery side to add stability and safety, whereas if needed, you can induce (an easily controllable by the steering) power-oversteer just by pressing the accelerator more. From the design perspective its a bit ugly with all those lines and angles, but aggressive and impressive also. In the interior it's great, especially those digital instuments were back then in 2010 very futuristic and practical at the same time. A very distinctive car that differs a lot from the competition and it's easily recognisable too, although it isn't beatiful at all imho.

Last tested, the FT-1, the next Supra, is setup strangely in GT6. Although it is supposed to be a GT cruiser as the LFA, and that is what is shown by its stable suspension settings that add conficence, its grear ratios are very close for its power. That single thing is helping much in Suzuka, both in braking and in cornering through the 2 first sectors that have many and different consequential corners. Its tendency to power-oversteer is controllable through its precise steering as it isn't sudden as in the NSX but more predictable, although the LFA is much better in that being NA. FT-1's motor is relentless for a turbo, spinning all the way past the 8000 rpm limit without getting exchausted as it's usually happening with this type of aspiration, neither being laggy in low rpms. Very impressive! The desing is typical japanese here also, bloaty both in front and rear, but with big curves. Dinstictive and aggressive but not of my taste. On the ugly side that one too imho. I liked its interior better tbh.

Since laptims isn't my only criteria in ranking cars, let's see the results:

3rd place with 8/10 points: NSX Concept '13

2nd place with 8,5/10 points: FT-1

1st place with 8,9/10 points: LFA '10

Yes, LFA is one of my all time favorite cars and in GT6 it shows that it deserves that. Either through cruising, hotlapping or drifting, it is great.

Lexus_LFA_001.JPG

The Triforce assembled!

Honda Ennessecks --- Lexus Elleffay --- Toyota Effteedashwan

*** Round 1 *** Having trouble getting off the ground, wing commander? ***

183mph (Rev Limited) FT-1
216mph (Rev Limited) LFA
230mph (Drag limited) NSX

nsx1.jpg

A very comprehesive win for the Hondacura. All three cars go fast but the tight short gearbox of teh FT-1 really keeps its ultimate speed down. The Lexus barrels along to a Jaguar XJ220 sort of speed. The NSX however didn't just beat that by a smidge, it annihilated those times. At BIG speeds, the amount of powah and slippery aero you need to get a few MPH can't be understated.
[NSX - 10] +++ [LFA - 8] +++ [FT-1 - 5]​

*** Round 2 *** Motion Lotion Commotion ***

Part my usual Jack Rabbit Springs 20 mile test and at the midpoint of the race, all cars needed a little snifter to keep chugging on. But one of them needed a little bit more. I doubt any of them could pull a none stop race, so I am less critical of the difference in fuel consumption here. The NSX and FT-1 needed another 20 buckets, the LFA was a bit more thirsty needing 25 buckets of go-go-juice.

[NSX - 10(20)] +++ [LFA - 8(16)] +++ [FT-1 - 10(15)]​

*** Round 3 *** Judge Tread ***

I was quite surprised at the FT-1, which has savage brakes and would lock up if you were looking at the brake pedal with anything more that a glance. But it had the deepest tread depth at the end of a stint. This was not true for the other two. The LFA being pretty evil on its rear tyres, the NSX spreading the love to the fronts - but I have to share the pain of second place to both cars.

[NSX - 8(28)] +++ [LFA - 8(24)] +++ [FT-1 - 10(25)]​

*** Round 4 *** The Willow Springs Experience ***

All three did well, the LFA encountering tyre trouble and only able to snag 2nd place in its heat. The NSX was great fun but the long gearbox felt like it left alot of potential lap time just for the sake of being able to push speeds close to the sound barrier once it was unleashed. The FT-1 was every bit of quirky fun. The short gearbox was perfect for here and its light weight left its tyres in good enough condition not to hurt any late stint laptimes.

FT-1 1m18.0 (11m28)
NSX 1m20.1 (11m36)
LFA 1m18.8 (11m44)

ft1-1.jpg

[NSX - 9(37)] +++ [LFA - 8(32)] +++ [FT-1 - 10(35)]​

*** Round 5 *** Are we having a party or something? ***

All three are catwalk queens of slinky looks. But which is the best? To be honest I like them all. Each has a daring style about them. The Japanese Ultra Tech of the Lexus, the strong lines of the Toyota and the Gothic Flying Buttresses on the NSX. This is a tough one but I think I will give it to the NSX as I had not really looked at it much before, and I was surprised how "goldilocks" it felt. Everything was - just right. It also has the old 90's NSX to compare to, and I find the first incarnation to be pretty scabby (Nasty looking) at the back. The LFA has that triple pipe rear end... but it has 10 cylinders, otherwise it has a nice simple wedge shape, a Supra Corvette.. The FT-1 Long strong lines. I feel awful putting it in second place here, but at the moment the NSX gives me the feels at the moment.

[NSX - 12(49)] +++ [LFA - 10(42)] +++ [FT-1 - 11(46)]​

*** Round 6 *** Paint Chips. Paint Chips everywhere! ***

Well this is interesting. One car has One colour (boo!) but you can respray it (yes!)
Another has 9 or 10 chips (nice) but you can't respray it.(Shame)
And another has 30 chips that even a TVR driver would pause in contemplation. And if you don't like those you can respray that!
lfa1.jpg

[NSX - 7(56)] +++ [LFA - 12(54)] +++ [FT-1 - 7(53)]​

*** Round 7 *** If you have to ask, 'How much does it cost?' ***

Well who would have thought the no expense spared Lexus would clean up here? Maybe we can excuse these three for being concepts made from all kinds of magical alloys and carbon composite compounds then finally assembled by nerds with silly wire frame glasses wearing lab coats. Okay all three are terribly expensive... Thankfully GT6 is a game which rains money down at you like golden foil confetti. The LFA is a snip at just 375,000. The FT-1 is a cool half a mil'. But the NSX is One Million Kazulas.

[NSX - 7(63)] +++ [LFA - 10(64)] +++ [FT-1 - 8(61)]​

*** Round 8 *** Red Line Fever ***

Everyone loves high revs... so obviously, highest is the best!

FT-1 - 8000rpm
NSX - 8500rpm
LFA - 9500rpm

[NSX - 9(72)] +++ [LFA - 10(74)] +++ [FT-1 - 8(69)]

lfa2.jpg
Nice High Revs, yesterday.​

*** Round 9 *** Double Pipe Classic ***

Always a great sound, but what do our cars sound like when they are farting and burping around a track when you give them the beans!
LFA - Let's start with the worst. Maybe it is me, but a V10 never sounds great, there is probably some musical harmonics reason why a V10 sounds wrong. It does get up to some high revs but the sound of the Lexus is not my cup of tea.
FT-1 - Love the sound of this car. A Jaguar-tastic 6 cylinders in a line but with a nice slurping Turbo. Mechanical crisp winner.
NSX - V6 Naturally Aspirated not as nice as a straight 6 but better than any V10 sound!

[NSX - 9(81)] +++ [LFA - 6(80)] +++ [FT-1 - 10(79)]​

*** Round 10 *** Fun to drive ***

I ran these with no driver aids, which brings out bags of character from these cars. Each have aspects that you either like or you don't.
The LFA - High speed Oversteer : nice ---- Pretty weak (lazy) brakes : Lazy.
Compared to the other two this is by far the easiest car to thrash about in.

The NSX - Lots of rotation - For a four wheel drive car it astounded me how light the car was in terms of rotation - This lack of grip at the back made me work hard to balance the car - especially in high speed sweepers - Dangerous if you can't manage it, but on that lap of perfection you know for a few fleeting moments you were in high speed harmony.

The FT-1 - Savage front brakes - This is ABS=0 but on ultraviolence level of difficulty. Every lap you put into this car will lower your 'Driver blood pH'. The need to modulate the brakes into the corner then caress the throttle out of it. Top stuff. Yes it is hard. It will put hairs on your eyeballs!

[NSX - 13(94)] + [LFA - 11(91)] + [FT-1 - 12(91)]

nsx2.jpg

SO on reflection, Ryk would pick the all Japanese Honda NSX Concept by Michelle. Built in オハイオ州、アメリカ合衆国

Sorry for my usual bad spelling.

Last edited:
Quite the interesting comparo this week.

The Lexus was what I thought it would be, not that much fun and the slowest of the bunch. I struggled with its tendency to burn rubber if throttle is applied too early while exiting the turns. Even with TC set at 1, it still spun the tires as the motor wound up. It brakes and turns ok. I like how it sounds.

The NSX was underwhelming. It does the usual brake-turn-accelerate in acceptable fashion, but the back end is way too loose. It really needed me to have TC 1 to avoid the rubber burning experience I had with the Lexus. Silly me, I figured with 4wd it would be better. I like how it looks. Mean, evil, and I could buy a real one!

The FT-1 was a big surprise. We ran this gem over at COTW a few weeks ago and it garnered lots of praise. I was not a fan and preferred an M3 we tested that the group pretty much labelled a serious beater. Then we have the comparison over here. While being a bit prone to understeer, and can light the tires up, these traits are manageable with a little discretion. I though I was going really slow in the TT's only to find my lap times the best of the three with not much effort. What I like....it surprised me enough to change my rating from beater to sleeper. It's marvelous on SS tires.

I feel like I've lost my mojo lately with my performance in the TT's

NSX 2:14.323 ( boy that's a miserable time )
LFA 2:13.685
FT-1 2:13.443

Verdict: FT-1 👍

Hey @Ryk. All of your reviews are great. BUT! You ranked LFA's sound as the worst! I know that personal preference is the only important thing when judging things like cars but we are talking about a sound very close to old F1s here :drool:. Have a great week :cheers:

Japan's Conceptual Dominance...

This week's duel involved heavy hitters from two of the JDM greats, spread out over three cars. 2 of the 3 are highly anticipated and desperately wanted, while the third had a limited production run of just 500 examples.

75I2Ipt.jpg

First off, the CALTY designed FT-1... a possible, if not probable successor to the highly missed Supra. Personally, I think it's stunning to look at, and look forward to seeing it on the roads turning heads as it goes by. If it handles as well as it does in game, it's destined to be a major hit for Toyota. At Suzuka, one of my favourite Japanese tracks of all time, it was well suited to handle the technical aspects of the course, as well as the high speed sections.

In my hands with the stock SH tires, I managed a fairly decent 2:12.247.

ypleC13.jpg

Next up, the car I'd love to have as an attainable mid-life crisis car, the NSX SH-AWD Sports Hybrid. Having already fallen in love with the first gen NSX many moons ago, this was another model that disappeared, leaving a big hole in the hearts of many. I'm sure when this comes out to the public, it will be another head turning, salesman's wet dream on wheels. More than likely, it will be another "be put on a waiting list" type of car.

Having tested both the Acura and the Honda versions at the TT, I got a 2:12.922.

mtucXk1.jpg

Lastly, the LFA. My least favourite of the 3... but I'm not saying it's a Beater by any standard. In my mind however, having a V-10 powered car being equaled to if not bested by cars with V-6 powerplants is a sure sign that all is not right on the planet. It's also the car that I needed the most repeated attempts to achieve a clean lap, let alone a quick one. Even though it may have achieved the second best time for this TT in my hands, it would be my last pick of all three measured up for this duel.

With SH series rubbers, I managed to obtain a sketchy 2:12.549.

Taking everything into account with the actual handling of the cars, the documented times I managed on stock tires, with the lust factor built in from former loves of the auto world... this week's winner in my mind is the FT-1! It just outperformed the others by the slimmest of margins, but a tangible margin all the same.

Cheers

This was a duel I was really looking forward to, but I was called in to work to cover for a co-worker and that sucked the time out of my weekend... :( :( :(

However, having logged over 300km in each of these cars over the months, I can vouch for the FT-1 in this instance. The NSX is a bit too skittery for my liking, and the LFA, despite sounding like a choir of V10 angels, comes across as a bit bland....

Alright, this week has come to an end, but first I'll share my two cents and I'll count up the votes.

(This picture be one I took from GT5, I don't care.)

Kyoto - Gion.jpg

For me, I'm actually voting for the Lexus LFA. No way around it, that car is pure sex. The LFA screams to the high heavens with it's insanely fast and high-revving V10 engine. The rear of the car looks ridiculously good with the automatic spoiler, sharp taillights, large black vents that would make the Audi R8 blush, and most importantly the Tri-Exhaust. Not to mention various other details of the car's exterior design that just pull the whole thing together insanely well.

The LFA is the cheapest of the group to buy, it' the easiest to drift out of the box too. The car is also upgradeable unlike our other two JDM friends this week. Of course, if that isn't enough for you, there's always the Nurburgring Edition.

It still isn't as good as the Ferrari 458, though.

Now, let's count up the votes.

LFA: 2
NSX: 1
FT1: 4

Again, seriously?

The winner of our 92nd duel of the week is the...

ft-1-3118406462422067784.jpg

...Toyota FT-1 Concept!!!
(Congrats to @Rotorist for our best LFA and FT-1, and to @Vic Reign93 for our fastest NSX time)

So, it's won against the Lexus LFA, Aston Martin V12 Vantage and the Hondacura NSX. This car is gaining some enemies.

OHHH BOOOIIIIII

can't wait until next week.

GT6 Duel of the Week #93: Requiem of an FT-1!

UGH! I really didn't want to do this to you guys this week, but I've had this particular duel planned for a long time and I had no other ideas at the moment. So the FT-1 returns for yet another week.​

And thus, we continue our series on the Toyota FT-1 with yet another duel featuring our love-it-hate-it concept that just doesn't seem to want to leave. This week is again featuring the FT-1, again, and this week is also the second time we've had Vision Gran Turismo vehicles featured on this thread.

This week looks like it'll be a "how can you defeat other cars if you can't defeat yourself" kind of duel. How will our mighty FT-1 (that should really get off this thread by now) fare against it's evil Lexus twin? Let's find out this week in DOTW!

Did I mention that the FT-1 is back? Warn the villagers! AGH!

Please welcome for the third time overall, but the first time in racing form...

i1l072xoNFa1Rz.jpg

The Toyota FT-1 Vision Gran Turismo!

Time to see how it stacks up against it's evil twin, the...

Lexus-LF-LC-GT-VGT-em-Nurburgring.jpg

...Lexus LF-LC Vision Gran Turismo!

The duel will be held at Fuji Speedway F this week. A nice sort of pseudo-GT500 competition I have going on here, huh?

So, now I'm going to put a five-week embargo on the FT-1 so we can get some new cars flowing through here. But I doubt this will be the last week we see of the FT-1. Let's see if the FT-1 can add another car to it's kill count.

Please don't hate me for this.

I was just missing an E, thanks buddy 'ol pal.

If you guys don't want the FT-1 to return next week, I suggest you shoot me a suggestion for next week's duel.
I shot you heaps of suggestions weeks ago! Don't you check your pm's?

Gosh, good thing I keep my information set to private.

Also, I've edited the OP so you can now see almost every duel up to week 97. (which includes the FT-1, thanks @Nismonath5)

Well, next week looks like a tail-happy-trifecta!

You can be forgiven for this weeks Toyota because you added the Lexus.

Well, next week looks like a tail-happy-trifecta!

You can be forgiven for this weeks Toyota because you added the Lexus.

Well, to be brutally honest, this week's FT-1 is completely different in terms of driving dynamics. Gobs of downforce and a hybrid system should make it drive nothing like the previous week's FT1.

Also, the last time we'll ever feature the FT-1 on this thread is for week 105. "Passion of the FT-1", which will be halfway through June. So have fun waiting until that day everyone, if GT Sport doesn't overtake us.

Just so everyone doesn't rush me for again putting the FT-1 in the ring, the suggestions of mine were sent many weeks back, long before it showed up in the thread.. then decided not to leave. :lol:

I spy a GT3 open season and some time in the R92CP... Looking forward to it!!! :sly:

Last edited:
Wow not driven that Lexus, since I was the second slowest time trialist ... in the world to get the car for free! Have to buy it a car wash to get the dust off of it!
I think I put in a time of exactly 40(*) minutes to do a clean lap of Fujiyama, so probably had a nice layer of dust on it during the lap anyhow!

(*)Biggest English number with its letters all in alphabetical order - Forty...

What I'm thinking we should do for when GT Sport comes around is to keep doing the good ol' duel of the week format running, but have every second week just be a singular car with a time trial.

So the format for GT Sport would be...

Week 108 (for example): Jaguar F-Type R vs Aston Martin V8 Vantage

Week "108.5": SRT Tomahawk Time Trial

Week 109: Ferrari 458 Italia vs McLaren 650s

Week 109.5: Mustang Gr.4 Time Trial

Week 110: Renault Megane Gr.4 vs Volkswagen Scirocco Gr. 4

Week 110.5: Toyota FT-1 Time Trial

Week 111: Toyota S-FR Concept vs Scion FR-S

And so on...

I'm probably going to reset the week count to one.

So there's a quick look at the ideas i have so far. We could do quite a few others too like the Lamborghini Veneno vs the Ferrari LaFerrari. So, if you're worried, the end of GT6 might not be the immediate end of DOTW!

Tell me what you think of the bi-weekly format.

Last edited:
Back