GT6 Duel of the Week 2 - The Last Lap

GT3 vs What???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
IMG_2158.JPG

Hey look, it's the girl who eventually kills herself. #therteen raisins hwy

Here's my review and test. S2000 is an affordable and reliable roadster. The Elise 111R is extremely lightweight, not meant for daily driving, although some daft men or women may have taken on that challenge.

Lotus Elise 111R '04

1.8L
194 hp / 8,000 rpm
140 ft-lb / 7,000 rpm
860 kg (1,896 lbs)
440 pp
9.77 lbs/hp

Honda S2000 '06

2.2L
235 hp / 8,000 rpm
163 ft-lb / 6,500 rpm
1,250 kg (2,756 lbs)
423 pp
11.73 lbs/hp

The 111R carries 2 lbs less per horsepower than the S2000. Any car under 10 lbs/hp is, in my opinion, fast enough. The 111R will keep up with its brother Evora and rival NSX '01 at Mid-Field. The S2000 is a slug in comparison, and as quick around the track as Audi TT 3.2 '07, Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo MR '98, and just a tick faster than the original Lotus Elise '96.

134 mph - Lotus
127 mph - Honda

I'm proud of the 111R's lap time in the 1:21 bracket. I managed it on my 4th lap, beating my 3rd lap time by almost exactly one tenth of a second. The S2000 is nearly 5 seconds slower than the Elise, but looking at the replay it seems I may have only given this car 2 laps. It must have been a quality lap if I quit that soon. May revisit this morning. Need coffee first. According to the two replays, I uploaded them about 2 weeks apart from each other, over 2 years ago. Interesting!

The Honda is infinitely easier to drive, but not as rewarding. The 860 lb difference is like fitting me and 3 clones of me inside the Lotus. With 41 more horses and 23 more ft-lbs of torque, the S2000 is superior for daily driving in every way. This is a case of logic vs emotions. I'm letting my emotions win this duel. Lotus wins.

If you are a wizard you may like the magical S2000...
3uf3u2.jpg

Had a swift dash at Big Silverstone - and both cars felt great to pedal about the place, Ryk was slightly surprised how low the rev limit was on the S2000, But the real shocker was the lap times the Elise could churn out. So much faster, with what felt like, not a lot of driver effort from Ryk.

And that was after Ryk evened out the initial Tyre Advantage the Lotus held. (Comfort Tyres are the way!)

For Ryk, the Lotus wins in terms of looks. It has a really good shape, lines and styling. The S2000 is a bit "Slabby" to look at, not ugly but not great.

On track the Elise had a better natural balance, Ease of rotation that a Mid Engined car will provide.

The Elise also wins on Paint chips - No "Eye Infection Orange", but a solid range of colours, from "Retina-melting" to "Shh, I'm in disguise".

Is it worth those extra Kazula Credits? For sure - This is one of those "Must own" cars in GT6... well so Ryk is telling me.

When 111 is more than 2000...

H9o5Ouy.jpg

Well in this week's duel, we have some topless action that you don't need to go to a bar for. But don't put away your wallets just yet... unless you already have these street queens in your garage.

First off, the Asian princess...

zqK0FJ3.jpg

Bragging that 2006 saw an increase in displacement, this S2000 actually lost 8 hamsters before the oil change compared to its older sisters. It might be the prettiest of all the sisters being it's the only Premium edition, but it's also the lowest rated PP wise too. :odd: Not only did it lose some horse power, it also lost 1000 rpm for its redline value... but Honda tried to compensate that with some added torque.

The car's description also mentioned adding the drive by wire system, improving the drivability. This statement I agree with, as my testing at Silverstone showed it to be the most stable of the two cars. Being 390 kilos heavier though, it really didn't stand a chance against the English lightweight. On SM tyres, it scored an 1:05.760 lap while switching to SH tyres achieved 1:06.822 at the British course.

Now over to the English bird...

9Gipgzz.jpg

She may have been born in England, but this girl's heart is also Japanese... from a rival company to boot. Taking the Toyota Celica's engine and dropping the 1.8 litre power unit under the bonnet gave Lotus the advantage of the US market to tap into. She also takes advantage of the fashion scene, with more variety of colour options and much nicer aftermarket options to dress up the already more appealing body.

But looks aren't always everything... and it proves that it's no 3 dressed up as a 9 girl, as she can actually move and move very well. No wonder she's so popular. On SM shoes, she gets 1:02.928 and when switching over to SH she'll do 1:04.142 in my hands.

Not that there was any doubt about this one right from the get go, but the winner is the Lotus 111R. No surprise at all.

Cheers

So, when @Baron Blitz Red decided to get all gentlemanly and such, and switch over to SH I figured, oh great, the fleeting moments I had the lead in both cars was gone. But since claiming the prize with a tire advantage just isn't right, I followed suit. It wasn't as bad as I thought, since both cars are relatively light, and don't have oodles of horsepower. On SH I like the S2000 better. It must be due to my ageing reflexes not being so adept at catching MR oversteer before its too late, and managing wheelspin with an arthritic thumb. Or maybe some other dumb excuse..... I did put in some acceptable times, but man, turn 1 is my nemesis!

The Sushi-Fish one 1:06.658
That little English thingy 1:04.113

verdict: That English thingy! 👍👍

Did I inadvertently just cause everyone to do the trial over, because I nonchalantly said I ran SH tires on the event itself? It's not like I'd still be close to your guys' times if you were on the same kind of rubber that I was. I am touched by the extra effort though.

Alright been a bit busy lately, so let's round up this week a bit late. The Elise is certainly the more fun car to drive, it keeps you on your toes and it's faster too. It's amazing what that car can do with the power it has. Meanwhile, the S2000 is more refined and is easier to drive. The import king is also pretty popular with drifters online, while the Elise is popular for PP racing.

Overall, I'd have to choose the Elise...

Lotus: 6
Honda: :(

So, the winner by way of unanimous vote is the...

IMG_2168.JPG

Lotus Elise 111R!

So, the winner of last week's time trial will be announced in the next post, because I'm not sifting through all of those times from that event just on my phone. I'm not crazy!

I'm going to get some shuteye now, stay tuned for the next duel tomorrow and the DTM race Saturday night!​

Honeh! Ayem Hoam!

Congratulations for winning our Time Trial Redux last week, @Draggon!

Now, onto this week's duel...

GT6 Duel of the Week #99: GT3 Open Season!

20150206_bathurst_07.jpg

The premise of this week is pretty much the same as the old Trucks vs SUVs week. Compare the cars within the GT3 class and tell me which one is your favourite.

You may choose from these cars below:

Audi R8 LMS
Audi R8 LMS Ultra
BMW M3 GT2/E
BMW Z4 GT3
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 LM Race Car / C6.R
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3
Nissan GT-R GT3

I think that's all of them, let me know if I missed one by accident.

The time trial this week will be held at Deep Forest Raceway, the one condition for this time trial is that you're only allowed to set a time in the car that you're going to vote for at the end of the week. Winner chooses the next week's duel. Or the duel after we get through the pre-planned weeks we already have played out for us.

So, have fun and try not to pick a German car!​

Last edited:
So, have fun and try not to pick a German car!

Not so sure I'll have the time to participate in such an open-ended trial, but I know that the Mercedes SLS is my go-to GT3 car.

The Z-4 is usually the top car when there's a GT3 seasonal TT. I like the Vette, but it's been awhile since I've driven any of them.

I know the Z4 is my preferred weapon in this class... and it has the mileage to back that claim up lol.

Solid work between the three of us. High-fives all around. :lol:

Alrighy, thank you to everyone who participated in our DTM race at Trial Mountain, @Vic Reign93 is the winner of our trial and will be deciding the next bonus stage.

Also, are we getting any GT3 writeups at all? I'd like to be able to count some votes tomorrow.

Lastly, I have reviewed the footage from @Baron Blitz Red's crash. In one of the corners in the middle of the lap in Trial Mountain, Vic, Baron and I were coming into the corner. Baron took a wide outside line, while I followed Vic into the corner almost bumper to bumper. A bit before halfway through the corner, Vic hits the brakes hard and I have no time to react as I am bumper to bumper with him. I hit Vic's left-rear wheel and send him into a slide towards the outside of the corner where Baron was. Vic collides with Baron, taking him out.

See, simple racing mistake, no one was out to get anyone there, just an honest mistake in an otherwise squeaky-clean race.

Back