GT6 Duel of the Week 2 - The Last Lap

GT3 vs What???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My choice for an SUV (trucks aren't of my taste) from the GT6 collection of cars is the Mazda MX-Crossport '05, which is the pre-production model of CX-7. And I prefer this one because it is beautiful for an SUV, not pricey, its handling is great and as a proof watch this video. Mazda in its 1st attempt to make a sporty SUV easily surpassed all of the other Japanese SUVs and was the only one to, even barely, compete with the, very ugly imho, Porshe Cayenne Turbo S which was multiple times its price and almost twice its power and engine capacity. A great acheivement in my book.

Ryk
Picks up girls better than a Countach?
The Lamborghini has scissor doors but only room for a single, short, supermodel in the passenger seat. The Life Step van has room for three tall models thanks to its low floor and high roof. And has space in the back for their clobber. 3 girls are better than just 1, and that is just a scientific fact.
Luring three pretty women into that van would require
a) much alcohol, or
b) a gun

So, if you account for the time spent on the walls, that's most likely into the 1:29's. 👍 I'm not sure where your picking up 2 seconds on me, other than you seem to be more aggressive through the last several turns. Nice lap!

So, if you account for the time spent on the walls, that's most likely into the 1:29's. 👍 I'm not sure where your picking up 2 seconds on me, other than you seem to be more aggressive through the last several turns. Nice lap!
Thanks, I think with some more practice, 1:29s might be possible.

Nismo's Duel Of The Week showdown- Pickup vs SUV!!!

This week, when I read that we could put any SUV against any Pickup, I didn't know which pair would be best to pit in a duel. I browsed the dealers, picked two cars, and then realised that, standard, they're actually super close in PP. So, let's get on with the duel!!! In one corner, representing the SUVs, we have...

Gemasolar_1.jpg

The 2013 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque Coupe Dynamic!!!

...and in the other corner, representing the Pickup trucks, we have an ex-COTW car, give it up for...

Gemasolar.jpg

The 2003 Chevrolet SSR!!!!

Gemasolar_2.jpg

It's on!

FOR YOUR INFORMATION: All performance figures stated are of the vehicle, as is, fresh from the dealership, no oil change, no mods of any sort.

Round 1- Please don't break the bank...
Everyone likes value for money, right?! And cars are no exception. Both vehicles in this duel can be easily purchased by anyone who's racked up a fair portion of wins in career mode, and some more experienced players could probably buy multiple cars without putting so much as a dent in the bank! The Range Rover costs a not at all unreasonable $60,000, but the SSR is the real bargain, at only $44,560!

The SSR takes an early lead, but will it last?

Round 2- Live a colourful life!
Everyone likes having a good choice of colours for their brand new ride. How do the Range Rover and SSR compare? Well, the SSR has only four choices on it's factory colour palette, and they're all the basic sporty colours. Silver, red, black and yellow. Meanwhile, the Range Rover has a far broader selection of twelve colours! If you're willing to consider the variants that come with a black or white roof, then this adds up to a total of twenty four options! Either way, the Range Rover blows the SSR out of the water for this one!

Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps_4.jpg

Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps.jpg

Round 3- There's no replacement for displacement!
The SSR, as expected from an American sports-hotrod-pickup, it packs a V8 under it's rumbling hood. Naturally, you'd expect the displacement to be quite sizeable, and you'd be right. The SSR boasts 5.3 litres of eight-cylinder goodness. The Range Rover, on the other hand, only has a 2l 4 banger, but it does get help from a decent sized turbo. But turbo or not, when it comes to raw displacement, the SSR is top again.

Round 4- In the wise words of Clarkson... POWWWEEEERRRR!!!!!!!
Do I really need to explain this one?

Good.
The Range Rover, with it's turbo assistance and 4 cylinders makes a good 245bhp, which for a 4 banger is not bad in anyone's books. The SSR however, with double the cylinders and over double the displacement, makes..... 289bhp. Wait a second, what?! For double the engine, the SSR should logically be making 400+bhp without a sweat!!! The SSR still wins over the Range Rover, but that's a shameful win! Be ashamed, SSR!!!!

Round 4.5- PP
As I mentioned in the beginning, the SSR and Range Rover are actually quite simlar in PP. The Range Rover has 415pp, while the SSR has 413pp.

Round 5- You're fat, and don't sugarcoat it... or you'll eat that too!
SUVs and Pickups are by no means light vehicles. They're built for heavy duty, whether it be trekking through rough off road, carrying heavy loads, or protecting troops in a war stricken city...

...okay, realistically neither the SSR nor the Range Rover are built for such endeavours. But still, what do they weigh??? The Range Rover tips the scales at 1640kgs, while the SSR flattens the scales at 2248kgs! I've just got no words for that, other than WHAT THE FU-

Round 6- Dayum, you fine lookin!
The SSR has a certainly unique look (Thankfully!), but it's not without it's charm. It will no doubt appeal to some, and not to others, but I don't entirely mind it. However it's standard rendition in GT6 seriously disadvantages it against the premium, fully modelled and textured Range Rover, giving the RR an easy win here.

Stats and facts aside, it's time to head to the Special Stage Route X to determine acceleration and top end speed....

Special Stage Route X_2.jpg
Special Stage Route X.jpg
Special Stage Route X_1.jpg

Round 7- Up'nGo!!!

Off the line, these things sure ain't no drag racers. The SSR, with it's underpowered V8 and plenty of weight, goes from 0-100km/h in 9.1 seconds. The Range Rover however destroys it, with it's 0-100km/h done and dusted in 7.3 seconds.

Round 7.5- Sir, do you realise how fast you were going?

After reaching that 100km/h, I kept going down Route X's straight to determine the top speed. I had no aerodynamic aid, no nitrous. The only help I had was that slight decline going down the straight. After that leveled out, they both ran out of puff so I called it there. The Range Rover managed to clock 262km/h, with the SSR just behind it on 252km/h.

And now, we come to the final part of this duel. The lap times. To give us an idea of what these vehicles are like against a typical car, I first went out and set the pace in a Honda Civic Type R. For these time trials, I kept all cars' setups fully stock, but put sport soft tyres of them. I ran no TCS or ASM, 1 ABS and SRF on.
(Also, I picked the Civic cos it's 414pp, placing it right smack in the middle of the SSR and RR!)

Tsukuba Circuit_3.jpg

Round 8- Tsukuba
Civic- 1:03.545
Range Rover-1:05.512
SSR- 1:08.581

Both the SUV and Pickup are off the pace, but the SSR more than the Range Rover. The SSR feels super wallow-y and understeers quite a bit, you can only make the corners if you slow down a heap first! the Range Rover doesn't get this, but still feels quite slow. You can tell there's more time to be shaved off your lap, if you could only tune it...

Round 9 (finale)- Mid-Field
Civic- 1:22.926
Range Rover- 1:25.844
SSR- 1:28.286

Again, both vehicles well and truly off the pace of the Civic, but also once again, the SSR comes off worse. For the same reasons too, it's too understeer-y and lacks acceleration.

All of this considered, my verdict is that the SUVs leave the pickups in their tyre smoke!!!
Mid-Field Raceway_3.jpg

And now for some extra photos... Big ups to @Baron Blitz Red for giving me a hand, dicking around in his SSR so I could get some shots of both the cars on track... means a lot, bro! :cheers:
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps_3.jpg
Mid-Field Raceway.jpg
Mid-Field Raceway_1.jpg
Mid-Field Raceway_2.jpg
Mid-Field Raceway_4.jpg
Mid-Field Raceway_5.jpg

Last edited:
Trucks..

Pick up trucks never really caught on in England... probably a combination of the weather and the crimnal element always ready to steal something that isn't bolted down and the weather. Having a mobile rear mounted swimming pool (Not heated) in your car isn't very British. Now on a big open farm a pick up truck makes sence but in town... not so much.

SUV's - These are the kangaroo meat chomping weightlifters of the road, strutting about flexing muscles and bulk but with no real competative edge, they have evolved into fat bloated liabilities on the road. People that drive them tend towards bully behavior, crowding and not paying attention just becuse the mass of the car and the high seat location and numerous air bags let them feel far too safe on the road while they pilot a deadly metal object.
A steering wheel mounted spike would be a simple solution for the inept drivers these vehicles tend to be driven by.

Range Rover Evoque - This was lampooned by Top Gear, but the vibe was the car was actually rather good despite it being designed by "Posh Spice" (The one that Married Lord David of Beckham - a footballerist for the underachieving England Team) - Though I doubt she was involved in the power transfer of the differential or the engine mapping software... did she do anything of note or was it much more of a marketing tool to get people to look at the car? It has some nice lines to it, but so does a Lego car.

Range Rover Range Stormer - Big Blobby Fat Clown car. Nice colour though

Mazda Crossport - Blobby - Looks like an RX8 - but in a way that would make you upset that this big carcass wasn't a nimble rotary car with smart side doors.
Infiniti - Also Blobby - Those front lamps look like they are Nascar stickers and no impact on the front styling...
Audi Pikes Peak - Achtung Blobby.

Toyota RSC - Now This car I have a soft spot for - The "rally raid" version lets you think this could be barreling along the sand dunes like some thrill seeking idiot playboy. That car was a prize car in GT4 for one of the Capri head to head events... win in both directions and you won a RSC worth loads of kazulas if you sold it.... and you could repeat the event for even more credits, no bad thing as the event itself was excellent.

Sure it is a big slope armoured brick but it does have some laid back "Yeah man!" sandal wearing Californian style about it from CALTY design.

...onto the Pick Up trucks​

El Camino- This is the most "ute" car and does have a much more workman like look to it. A Bit like a Mullet hair do, Business at the front, party at the back!

SSR - This look like a throwback but the egg like french curves bolted onto a boxy pick up bed is very chalk and cheese. If it were a 40's car I could forgive it but this car has the same vibe as a musician doing a cover song which is far too polished and clinical.

SST (Silverado) - This looks like Lewis Hamilton or Chirs Eubank would drive it... silly look for silly people.

Toyota Tacoma - This looks bulky chunky. And The word Tacoma has me thinking of unstable wobbly suspension Bridges.

Ford F150 Lightning - Similar to the Tacoma... Same engine as a 2000 era Ford GT? (Wonder which is best a, Range STORMER or this F-150 Lightning Pickup?)

Dodge Ram - Huge meathead of a pick up. I saw Steven Seagal waddle one about in a film... and it made him seem plausible with his comedy martial arts and even more suspect running style. The huge bulky frame however does make the car ridiculous when you look at the teeny tiny shopping trolly wheels, swallowed whole by the wheel arches and oversized bulk of the car.

So If I had to pick two then the El Camino vs the Toyota RSC...

--- So which of these two would I pick?

The El Camino is 60's stylish, but it is a HUGE two seater (Maybe three at the front bench seat) The plank of wood at the back of the car is a fun touch. But the real let down was... The Gearbox... with a mean sprited choice of fast or slow forward gears when the engine has quite a bit of potential. Handling is okay.

RSC - much more involved with a 5 speed box the 4 wheel drive is a bit of a chore and it does wallow about if you lean heavily into the brakezone understeer is a constant but not an overwhelming feature of an other wise pretty stable drive... and it was a smidge faster.

Ryk did choose the Toyota RSC
- the best of a bad bunch But I have a feeling this is under 1500kg just like my Honda monster truck #lifestepvanmatters

Last edited:
So here's my preliminary report, after having tested six vehicles. I hope to get a few more in by the end of the day, if I can break away from chores.

Honda Life Step Van 1:54.220 fun, but meh. Needs more power.

Daihastsu Midget 1:44.633 s'ok, but still meh.

Mitsu Airtrek Turbo R 1:35.948 Lots of power, its fast and handles great, its just that it has lousy brakes. CS tires magnifies this and I spent a lot of time bouncing off walls.

Ram 1500 Laramie 1:32.659 Wow, over 720hp! This thing is fast, despite weighing the likes of a battleship, all those ponies do their job and it hauls the mail, or hay, or lumber, or christmas trees. The brakes are great. I put a ShmoGT tune on the thing, expecting little from it, boy was I wrong!

Since the regs said nothing about race cars, I tried a couple. Funny that the car name is Pajero, but PD thinks its a swear word and you can't title the room that way. As far as tuning goes, I only dropped the weight, added full power, zeroed camber/caster, and moved the slider on the trans.

Pajero Evo Rally Raid '03 1:33.569 well, it does what it should do, and is quite fun to throw around. Surprising grip on CS. Very predictable. Lap times were all within a couple tenths of each other.

Pajero Rally Raid '85 1:33.476 Now this was surprising. It gives up a whopping 137hp to the Evo model, while only being 361kg lighter. This thing is amazing. It's not as quite as easy to fling around as the Evo, but it's pretty darn quick. It was actually faster, even though I threw away some time on my best lap bouncing of a wall.

Right now I lean towards the Ram 👍

So, as this week draws to a close, I think I'd have to pick the Ram as my favourite truck because of it's fun factor. It also looks pretty stupid when you rice it out. I find that funny. I love the Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution Rally Raid '03 because it's stupid-fast on dirt when you tune it. I love the livery also.

Enough about me, let's see what you guys think:

Let's see. This TT is on CS.
My vote goes to two cars: the Infiniti FX45 Concept and the Mazda MXCrossport Concept.

the Daihatsu Midget gets my vote

The Chevrolet El Camino SS 396 '67 and The Toyota RSC '01

The Infiniti drives like the V8 swapped Skyline GTR you think it would be. The Tacoma X Runner is a surprising drive also.

My choice for an SUV (trucks aren't of my taste) from the GT6 collection of cars is the Mazda MX-Crossport '05.

The 2013 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque Coupe Dynamic!!!

Ryk
Trucks..
Ryk did choose the Toyota RSC
- the best of a bad bunch But I have a feeling this is under 1500kg just like my Honda monster truck #lifestepvanmatters

Right now I lean towards the Ram 👍

I have to go with the Ram for this one. It's fast, stylish, can drift, and isn't just a repurposed car like some of the other fast choices.

Overall it seems that the more popular of the two classes are the SUVs, but it seems like over the course of this week, the most talked-about SUV was the:

crossport.jpg

Mazda MX-5 Crossport!

While the fastest (thanks to @MOPARbarrett5) and most mentioned Truck was the:

bw202.jpg

Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi Quad-Cab!

(Good job @Draggon for posting the best SUV time in the Mitsubishi Pajero '85)

Now as for the best write-up, the honours for choosing this week's duel is @Nismonath5 's, so you have until Wednesday to decide the next duel.

See you all in the next duel! :cheers:

Ok, so I chose the member with the best write-up from Any Truck, Any SUV to pick the duel for next week. Let's see what @Nismonath5 has in store for us.​

I found two cars that are both 440pp, but other than that they're completely different... different drivetrains, country of origin, different driving feel, etc etc...

Alright then, which cars are they?

That being said, it's the

GT6 Duel of the Week #77: The Renault-Nissan Alliance has ended!

1990-1996-nissan-300zx-turbo-z32-3292_6595_969X727.jpg

1989 Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX TwinTurbo 2seater (Z32)

and the

2013_renault_megane_iii_rs_265_trophy_195kw_35_000km_3900118463519116440.jpg

2011 Renault Megane R.S. Trophy!!!

Alright Nismonath, this looks interesting, so where will this duel take place?

The Time Trials shall take place at Mount Panorama this week! Because Bathurst.

That seems like a good enough reason for me! It's been a while since we've seen that track. Good choice.
Tires will be restricted to comfort softs like usual. You'll also need to navigate the course without traction control or a driving line! Spooky!

See you all out on the track! I'll pick the next duel myself, and then the week after I will choose someone at random!

By the way! Next week is the Formula Gran Turismo vs the Lotus 97T on Monza, so save up!

Last edited:
Back