GT6 Duel of the Week 2 - The Last Lap

GT3 vs What???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Did a quick run with both cars on Sarthe 2013.

Lexus: 3:44.1
FT-1: 3:49.4

The Lexus actually felt better and more responsive, as well as only burning off 20-40% battery at the end of the lap. The FT1 was an understeer machine and I almost ran out of battery on the last turns of the first lap.

Obelisk votes the Lexus VGT.

Last edited:
I feel as though Waflz likes the FT-1 almost as much as he does the 458.

Anywho, the FT-1's VGT big brother comes in to face off against the Lexus VGT. Like Waflz said, it's an interesting "future GT500" race that we've got put together here. How do these two cars from sister manufacturers fare against one another?

Fuji Speedway F Trial:
FT-1 - 1:34.342
LF-LC - 1:33.393

These cars behave differently and it's up to the driver to decide really which one is best for them. The FT-1 feels very stable and consistent, turning and handling exactly how you'd expect a proper racecar to handle. If you want more of a loose cannon that can snap oversteer and snap understeer, but can put down better lap times if you can keep it in check, then the Lexus is your best bet. You lose the consistency with the Lexus, a lot like it was meant to be a drift racer instead of a proper racecar, but at the same time, it can definitely be faster. It depends on whether or not you can handle it.

Looks like the FT-1 won't walk away with the win from me this time. The Lexus wins.

Visions of Future Toys...

95O2fRO.jpg

One manufacturer, 2 toys... one's slightly richer, and in more ways than one. "You get what you pay for" is the saying, but both are the same price... and I didn't pay for either of them! :lol:

9EcPlVq.jpg

First up, the Lexus LF-LC GT VGT... say that 3 times fast!!! Toys for rich kids usually have more features to play with, and this holds true for this one as well. Let's give a run down of what it offers...

It has some stats... you know the power, torque and weight.
It is paintable... you might only get 4 colours from the dealer, but after that, the choices are endless.
It can be tuned... not fully tuned per se, as some options are greyed out, but it can be tuned.
Stock, you get to use all its gears.

Personally, I like the look of this Lexus... last week the looks of the FT-1 outdid the LFA in my eyes. This week, I think the Lexus is the nicer of the two on a number of fronts. It's sleek, has nicer eyes and I think it actually sounds better.

hgIRwai.jpg

Ahh, the FT-1... this time we get to play with the VGT racing version! I think the FT-1 has a bright future in the automotive world, but the VGT version missed the mark on a bunch of things.

It has one stat... you know it's 11pp higher than the Lexus. But that's it.
It is NOT paintable... what you pick is what you get.
It is NOT tunable... at all.
Its gearing is way too long... I used it for the 600pp Seasonal at GVS and never got out of 4th. At Fuji, I saw 5th but no where close to getting into sixth. And for my style of DS3, auto gear driving, it was frustrating not being able to get the full potential of "shifting" through the gears when I needed to.

Having said all that, the results from my first batch of testing at Fuji were pretty damn close...

The FT-1 VGT: 1:31.774

The LF-LC GT VGT: 1:31.424

Too close to give either a clear vote in that sense... but with everything that the Lexus offers, it gains my vote as this duel's winner! I hope the FT-1 owners like this view...

v9w8jpe.jpg

Cause that's as close as they'll ever get to passing this thing! ;)

Cheers

Last edited:
Firstly - Great combo. I have a headache trying to pick a winner here. Nothing to do with the amount of blood in my alcohol stream.

lexr.jpg
lexl.jpg

Like Anton Chigurh. "What is the most you ever lost on a coin toss?"

Lexus and Toyota "Sir?"

"What is the most. You ever lost. On a coin toss?"

The FT-1 is better looking
The Elleffdashellcee geetee veegeetee has a raft of tuning options.
The FT-1 has a cockpit.
The elleffdashellcee geetee veegeetee has a fancy livery.

lex.jpg

hmm The winner is ...tails!
The Lexus - it was naturally more fun to drive for me. The FT-1 had a Senna/Prost style spoon of understeer - which does force a driver to be neat.

I really wanted the Lexus to win. I guess that pretty much tells you my verdict... besides the bonuses of being able to tune and paint it, it sounds fantastic and I've used it to win the current QM at Midfield, albeit tuned up. For our testing purposes however, I find the Toyota to be superior. Its just planted all the way around Fuji, and I was able to push it, and take risks that would not have worked in the Lexus. I does sound pretty good, and looks more aggressive than the Lexus.

Toyota 1:31.672
Lexus 1:32.630

Quite a spread there, still almost .5 seconds off top spot in the Toyota.

Winner: Toyota FT-1 VGT

I had a vision. Two of them, actually!

Alrighty, here we go! One of my favourite VGT cars goes up against the VGT version of one of my favourite sports concepts...

Firstly, the FT-1!

Gemasolar (2).jpg

The more GT3-ish of the two, the FT-1 VGT does away with the concept's active rear wing in favour of a giant fixed wing, adds a front splitter, some race-y looking vents, and bolts on some racing tyres. Other than that, it's hard to tell what Toyota did to it, because much like the concept, there aren't many details disclosed.

When driving it, it feels more firm and planted on the ground, and personally that isn't a good thing. Part of the appeal of the FT-1 is being able to throw it around while still going fast, so to make the race car actually grippy and stable doesn't sit well with me. It's not bad to drive, it's just not how I like to drive the FT-1. The VGT's also further hindered by the lack of tuning options, and as @Baron Blitz Red said, the gearing is way too tall. Not suitable for most of my favourite technical circuits like Deep Forest or Trial Mountain.

As far as visuals, it does look better than the FT-1, but lacks in colour options. Grey, silver and red isn't exactly the most diverse pallet in the world, and adding the option to have either red or carbon mirrors for each option doesn't, in my opinion, double the choices.

And now for the Lexus!

*No image. I coulda sworn I had one somewhere! Oh well.*

Now THIS baby is a beast. Developed with the Super GT in mind, this rocket screams. Literally. With 640bhp of hybrid power at your disposal, and the ability to be tuned, AND the option to be painted, this beast already has some major advantages over it's rival. I bought mine for use in a round of GT Fusion for team GTBE, but didn't end up participating due to other commitments. Still, I logged hundreds of km's in it, and it handles a dream. The tunability means you can gear it for tighter tracks, or faster tracks, giving it way more usability than the FT-1. You can get away with some pretty balls-y moves in it, and it's one of the few cars I actually will drive purely for the sound.

It really looks the part too. Honestly, who doesn't like the holographic paintwork?! It didn't look so great when I painted it green for GTBE, but in white it's crisp, clean and fearsome. My vote's going to the Lexus on this occasion!

Last edited:
Looks like the Lexus is winning by a big margin this week!

Friendly reminder that @MrWaflz55 isn't afraid to put the smack-down on anyone. :lol:

Me
Wow, MrWaflz55, you didn't have to show us a picture of your mother.
Listen up you absurdly large vertically-placed rectangular prism, Aunt Jemima would never associate with a conversion kit-car as dastardly as that! How dare you?!?!?!?!?!? :lol:

Is it safe to come out yet?

Ok, I think so.

So, we had another bout with the FT-1 this week, against most of your wishes, and the results were interesting to say the least. We have two cars with very similar bodies but very different attitudes.

The Lexus LF-LC is the kind of racecar that demands skill. Even with high-downforce aero it's still a pain to control. However, it is faster around the track than the FT-1 VGT in respectable hands.

The FT-1 is more of a consistency-based car. It isn't as fast, but it's hard to mess up while driving.

I've learned from my experiences driving the Zonda R against @Vic Reign93 that consistency is preferable to speed when you're out in front (more on that later), so my vote goes to the FT-1 VGT.

(not to mention it looks and sounds better than the Lexus IMO, I also like the FT-1 quite a lot, would be cool to see the lexus LC500 in GT:S though.)

But enough about me, let's count up your votes.

Lexus: 4

Toyota: 2

The FT-1 has lost it's winning streak, or at least the race car, which only ever had one bout here. I'm confused now.

The winner is the...

20150318_update_07.jpg

The Lexus in it's natural habitat..................................................................................Yesterday....

Lexus LF-LC GT Vision Gran Turismo!

(Congratulations to @Baron Blitz Red for the fastest times in both cars this time trial)

Well, we'll see the FT-1 again, maybe not this week or next week, but it'll be back...​

GT6 Duel of the Week 94: Tail-Happy Trifecta!

Hey, I heard you guys liked old cars.

Set your time machines for the 1980's because we're heading there in the form of these three Tail-Happy supercars. All I can really say is that a lot of modern supercars are standing on the shoulders of these giants! Cars such as the RUF CTR3, Ferrari LaFerrari and Lamborghini Aventador are all inspired by these amazing classics. Let's welcome to duel of the week three cherished classics!

ferrari-f40-02.jpg

The Ferrari F40!
(this has to have been featured as many times as the FT-1 by now!)

25th-anniversary-lamborghini-countach_100412595_l.jpg

The Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary!

(wing not included, be sure to attach yours before the start of this week!)

ruf-ctr-01.jpg

The RUF CTR "Yellowbird"!
(I still consider RUF a tuner instead of a manufacturer!)

I can tell that you guys have been itching for something fresh out of Duel of the Week for a while now, besides Toyotas, so we're bringing out the freshest of the produce for you this week courtesy of @Nismonath5! I'm sure you'll all enjoy this as much as Obelisk will! Please don't kill me!

The time trial this week will be held before Friday!

Where will it be held? IDK! Find out when you get there!​

I can tell that you guys have been itching for something fresh out of Duel of the Week for a while now, besides Toyotas, so we're bringing out the freshest of the produce for you this week courtesy of @Nismonath5! I'm sure you'll all enjoy this as much as Obelisk will! Please don't kill me!​

Crap! How did you know Nismonath5 was my alternate account?!

Also, I think you're getting the F40 confused with the 458 in how many times it's been used in this/these thread(s).

I remember three occasions for the 458:
Week 38 vs the Nismo GT-R (won)
Week 74 vs the Mercedes SLS (won)
and Week 88 vs the McLaren MP4-12c (take a guess)

The F40 faced off against the RUF CTR2 once. That's it.

(Plus this week's duel was my idea.)

I thought that was only for the racing style rear wings.

Adding ANY aero kit part of any sort is considered tuning... just like the M4 Performance Edition can't get into a tuning prohibited event after the light bar is installed, even though it adds nothing to its performance value.

Cheers

GT6 Duel of the Week 2 Bonus Stage 2: GT1X at Apricot Hill

IxuRwqLv5XtnoaHcR_0.jpg

So, here's the write-up I promised for last week's Bonus Stage event at Apricot Hill. We have @Draggon on the McLaren F1 GTR, me in the Pagani Zonda R, and @Vic Reign93 in the Lexus LF-LC Vision Gran Turismo!

After a few failed attempts at balancing this race, and even @Baron Blitz Red showing up for a round in his overpowered Nissan R390 GT1 pseudo-LMP. The fourth race was the first event that we were able to properly balance the cars! Yay!

In the above picture, The Pink F1 GTR of Draggon is staring intently back at my Zonda R, after I pulled an amazing overtake in the previous round that didn't count for anything. Maybe he's plotting his revenge.

Ay0U5MuMqZy9CZByX_0.jpg

The race had to start at some point, and the Lexus shot ahead of me with it's improved acceleration due to the battery-assisted motors. The whines of hybrid power blow by me without much warning. Even with his power restricted by 20%, Vic was able to claim an early overtake.

Draggon approaches the first corner in first place, the same position he started the race in.

pE5eXtnCLCc4wHTJuE_0.jpg

Cutting in close to the inside line, I am able to overtake both of my opponents, who both took wide paths, and secure first place for myself. A good move if I do say so myself. The Zonda R I was driving was using Racing Soft tires because it was impossible to control on Racing Hards. The softer compound tires were still balanced though, as you will see later in the write-up!

Vic falls back into third where he started, and Draggon falls back to second.

f9cqYVFXNIy4JNEWBA_0.jpg

Here, Draggon takes a second wide corner and allows Vic to sneak inside and secure second. Meanwhile, I struggle to control some snap-understeer I received from the Zonda's tricky handling characteristics.

The rest of the first lap was somewhat uneventful, but the race gets far more interesting as we go!

7p2usVr0oOfoagYHUz_0.jpg

...and around the final corner into the second lap! Still in order from the previous picture. Prepare yourself for the coming drama of the next few laps!

6N2WoVVXNpyo5ViMfH_0.jpg

Into the second lap and Draggon hits the sand! that's going to cost him a few seconds. You're really having bad luck with these bonus stages and going off-track, aren't you Draggon? I remember what happened when you chased Vic onto the final stretch of Midfield in the last Bonus Stage.

OWr0ZKhrN6foMLJy3R_0.jpg

Into the third lap, this is where Vic and the Lexus LF-LC really mount their offensive on me. I'm on the main straight and heading into the first corner, but the Lexus is slowly creeping on my lead. I'm checking my rear view every few seconds now to get an accurate read on where Vic is in relation to me.

m6KKzcy0TjaoVjBno3_0.jpg

Now in the fourth lap, and Vic has come within less than a second of the quad-exhausts on the back of my Zonda. He's been unable to pass for a few corners by now, I think he may have been probing my defenses to find the perfect opening to strike, he's still got three quarters of a lap left, so he's taking his time.

GRG3YZQu4jaoT5nEYw_0.jpg

Now, we're coming up to the long corner near the middle of the lap that goes around the large pond in the infield of the track. Vic is still looking for the correct opening, but it won't be too long before he decides to make his move.

On my end, I'm nervous, shifting around in my chair. I know he's playing me. I don't want to give Vic the inside line, that's all that matters to me at this point.

mnAojNKp0TvlLhpI6_0.jpg

I head towards the inside line of the long corner. Desperate not to give Vic the advantage. However, under pressure, I turn a little to far into the dirt and I have to correct my path in order to make it safely around the turn...

...but, Vic was practically riding my bumper at this point, and he catches my rear right-side tire and I begin to loose control! This isn't how I wanted the last lap to pan out!

qQUJdvb40qt4uStio_0.jpg

Next thing I realise, I'm flying towards the outside wall at over 100km/h, and Vic is joining me in the grass.

After that colossal crash, you can guess what happens next.

xSirsXHt0f5xeV4b0_0.jpg

As the two black racecars struggle to regain their footing in the race, one pink car who was trailing a few seconds behind finds them crashed on the side of the road. Not even bothering to stop and see if we survived that crash, Draggon sneaks past us and takes the lead.

iXtBepVezAkD7lPDI_0.jpg

One half-a-lap later and he's taken Gold. with Vic crossing the line a few seconds later for Silver, and I, the fearless leader, following behind Vic about a second later. So with a botched start and a major-league-collision, Draggon and the McLaren F1 take the win and steal the show.

Be on the lookout for the third bonus stage, coming to you courtesy of Draggon. We're going with DTM this time, more details will follow this post in a bit.

See you in the next Bonus Stage! :cheers:

GT6 Duel of the Week Bonus Stage 3: Euro Touring Cars at Trial Mountain!

Hey there! I'm back with another bonus stage for you all. This one is still sticking with the theme of competition-spec vehicles. We're going a little less hardcore than GT1 this time, though. We're switching over to DTM this week. Or at least, whatever is as fast around the track as a DTM car.

GmoEZ94pCfkHNHosT_0.jpg

Here's the car @Draggon has set as our benchmark. He set a time of 1:26.408 around Trial Mountain.

th.jpg

I want anyone signing up for this to find a European touring car that can lap Trial Mountain within the 1:26-1:27 range of times. I'm searching hard for a car to use here. Get creative, I'm going to try for the Merc SLS AMG Stealth Model for my car, but you guys might opt for something different.

So, take the church shot, set a lap, report back to me.

We're going to try to hold this race around the 29th of April, so I want to know if you're all available then too. See you in a bit!

This was a duel that I had been kicking around in the back of my mind for a while. A long while. Like, back when Cowboy was still our fearless leader in this little club of ours. An 80's sports car shootout. (Yeah yeah, the F40 is the '92 model, but people usually associate it with the 80's. So... hush.)

I had fun in this three-way duel, and I'm glad I suggested it. And lo and behold the times between the three cars were reasonably close! Let's see what went down!

Streets Of Willow Springs Trial:
F40 - 1:18.034
CTR - 1:18.342
Countach - 1:17.937

Let's break this down car by car, because all three certainly have their distinct personalities, even though they're lumped into the "fishtailers" category.

As I said on the trial proper, the Ferrari F40 is still one of the more awkward cars I've driven. It does fishtail, but at the same time, it feels very stiff while doing so. That said, it still looks great, and there's a reason it's a legendary car. Last time we visited this car, it ultimately beat out the CTR2. (Beaten by the CTR2 in my trials, but the F40 was the more popular car.) This time, it manages a second place.

The CTR Red Robin (this car stole the Ferrari's signature Rosso Corsa this time, as opposed to the black from the Spyker C8 last time) feels very fun to drive, and you only really have to worry about the oversteer you get out of corners. This is a driver's car that will try to kill you if you pull any rookie mistakes. This makes it really fun to drive, but trying to put down fast times, especially on a twisty course like Streets of Willow Springs isn't exactly a cakewalk because of the car's behavior. It finished a reasonably close third between the three. At least it won against the Spyker C8 in my last trial with the car. (The Spyker was more popular among us though.)

Need For Speed: III is the reason I keep referring to the Countach as "the stealth fighter of sports cars" and it still feels like an amazing machine. It's very fun to drive, not quite as rough and bouncy as the CTR, but it's a happy medium between the three cars. Ultimately, it's the most manageable, while still being just as fun as the other two. In my hands, it proved superior to the M4 it faced off against before, and it emerged victorious among these three 80's icons as well.

These three titans have finished their second duels in this group, and for me, the Countach stands proudly above the both of them. The Lamborghini Countach is the winner!

(Geez, the only other duel I remember having this much fun with was the SVT Cobra R versus the R32 GT-R. This was a treat. Thanks @MrWaflz55 for using my suggestion!)

So, there were 2 Italians and a German in a desert...

With another triple shot on the go, this week's duel has some iconic and famous cars... some even were former record holders in the world of legendary auto makers.

First off, the older of the three...

pqzFL5P.jpg

Made famous thanks to a magazine sponsored competition, the iconic "Yellowbird" CTR by RUF. I love this company, and this was the car to get them noticed on the world stage. RUF, especially at the time, took Porsches and made them into fast cars... this being the fastest in the world, way back in the days when I still had hair. ;)

Mentally insane numbers mean you should expect handling to be along the same lines... be nice or she will bite you! Not a car to get your learner's permit with by any standard of the imagination. So I took my "Bloodbird" edition to the Streets of Willow to see what I could do. I needed 2 tries with her, to get a somewhat respectable time in a car that can be scary at times. I managed to survive with a 1:17.625 lap here.

Next up... the Ferrari!

MgqFXbk.jpg

What wound up to be Enzo's last car, this was made to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the slightly famous company. And what a car she is... the F40 was yet another twin turbo'd monster in the world of fast cars. Perfect to take on the RUF in this duel. She is gorgeous, let alone fast.

Not as twitchy as the Bloodbird, she still needs to be handled with respect. If you can manage that, she will reward you... much better than what she can do, spank you for being bad. "Yes Mistress" is expected as you kiss those patent leather heels that may or may not choke you... or worse. She let me have a 1:17.161 after doing it twice!!!

The "other" Anniversary car...

eIJiwdZ.jpg

Celebrating 25 years of not making tractors, this was the last hurrah of the icon on wheels, the Countach. Notorious for being hard to actually drive amongst other things, this was a poster child of what looked fast standing still. Yes, even in my 20's, I still had posters hanging on my walls... and this car was one of them. Need I say more...

Compared to the other two, it looked like it didn't stand a chance... lowest PP rating, heaviest of the 3 with the least power too, but not by much admittedly. In this duel however, it was the easiest to drive around the desert track by far. Even with the cards stacked against her, she crossed the line with a 1:17.472... pretty surprised with that TBH.

So, you have my favourite German car maker going up against my favourite Italian dream weaver, with my former wall model that evoked fantasies of its own... and yet again only a half(ish) second separating them all. This week my vote goes to the Anniversary girl... the F40. She's got the looks, and the speed that any guy could want... and she's a demanding mistress that keeps me begging for more. That, and she won't let me vote for anything else!!! :nervous:

Cheers

Back