GT6 Duel of the Week 2 - The Last Lap

GT3 vs What???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
GT6 Duel of the Week #113: FR Sports Showdown. Luxury vs Muscle

This week we have two vehicles with a similar layout and PP, but with two different approaches to the style. One is ultra cheap by comparison, but also weighs far less than the competition. Let's see if lightweight can outdo power here.

Introducing the...

IMG_2316.JPG

Aston Martin DB9

against the...

IMG_2317.JPG

Chevrolet Camaro SS

The time trial this week will be held on Cape Ring's interior layout. This is a pretty decently sized course with the shape of a hand grenade, or a slab of steak maybe. Let's see how these two FR sports cars handle the rigours of a real race track.​

I think @ThrasherDBS should get the crown in the Golf TC because of the physics. Here's how I fared in the "Open Swim". No drift king here :crazy: but SSR5 is a great track to drift on! Right after I finish drifting 101 I'm taking Digital Camera 101.

upload_2017-9-13_19-50-41.png

For our Open-Swim drift event this past week, the win goes to @Draggon for actually being the other one participating. Good on ya, man!

So I can't believe I forgot to do my write up last week. Long story short, Scirocco won it for me because it was faster. Not sure if that made it into the final tally, but doesn't look like it made a difference in the long run.

I also had a question on this week's duel. Which DB9 are we running, the '06 premium model, or the '03 standard model? Or does it really matter?

I mean, you PM me a suggestion another event for when we have a duel here that has two cars that aren't conducive to drifting. Like if we had two FF cars here again.

@MrWaflz55 your trial is set to only free run mode, where's the Time Trial?

Since I don't have much time until I have work, I've set up an actual trial with the aforementioned parameters on my group. My times will be there.

Last edited:
Well these two jewells couldn't have been more different. If the Chevy was a jewell, the Aston would be a cubic zirconia. I ran the Camaro in the TT first, expecting to get the worst over with. I was surprisingly rewarded with a car eager to turn, with good brakes and just enough oversteer to keep me happy. I ran only 1 lap for time at Cape ring in the Camaro and left it there, so there's prob more time to be had. The DB9 was a huge disappointment. It doesnt brake so well, has huge understeer, lights up the tires, and wallows. I mean it really wallows. When doing the dorifuto challenge, it was quite a task handling the fat 'ol whale in the confines of London.

Cape Ring TT
Doubly Bloated #9 58.776
Chevalet Camaro SS 58.300

upload_2017-9-17_19-1-6.png

Dorifuto challenge. 3 laps each.

DB9-er 6,891
Camaro SS '10 8,010

Do I even need to cast a vote? I mean, its obvious.

Winner: Chevrolet Camaro SS '10!

chalk one up for the Yanks!

I don't think we'd expect any less from you, Vic.

I never really pictured these two fighting against one another. I mean yeah, it's a good old fashioned US vs UK fare, but not really the sort of matchup I'd think about. But they are reasonably close in performance after all. Let's see how they stack up.

Cape Ring Interior Trial:
DB9 - 0:58.966
Camaro - 0:58.106

As I stated on the trial itself, it took a while for me to set a good sub-59 second time for the DB9. The Camaro on the other hand beat that same time on the out lap. It feels a lot better in the corners, giving enough turn in and holding back enough to be controllable, while giving the back end playfulness that most muscle cars get a reputation for. The DB9 feels way too reserved, leading to a fair bit of understeer.

The Camaro is my least favorite of the three major American pony cars, but it beats out the DB9 and carries America to victory in this duel, and thus gets my vote.

Somewhere out there, XtremeEdward is frothing at the mouth.
____________________________________________________________________________________
Also, just as a side note, if for whatever reason I forget to do a write-up on here, but you see both of my times on the trial, my vote will pretty much always go to the one with the faster time.

Right, The Aston DB9 has been done and I'm happy with the drift score and very happy with the lap I managed to drag out of it. ;)

Tomorrow I set my sights on the Camaro. :)

Ask and you shall receive. :D

IMG_0186.JPG
IMG_0187.JPG
IMG_0188.JPG
IMG_0189.JPG

At least in my hands these two cars were very close in both contests, but if you factor the stats into the equation it becomes a one sided walkover for the Camaro.

It's less powerful, a tad heavier and yet it's just as capable for a fraction of the Astons price.

So with that factored in, the vote goes to the Chevy. 👍

Well, I would go through the trouble of taking screenshots of my times, but Vic already demolished them by a good two seconds each.

The time trial may be done, but the drift trial is still up for those of you that still want to try your hand!

DB9 gets my vote! It's a refined gentleman, you must get to know him before that stuff upper lip gives way to a polite smile. After a few warm beers, he has a wilder side without ever losing control.

In the time trial I found a respectful introduction to each corner was rewarded by a stable performance. Conservative handling, with a small c. Smooth and sophisticated.

By contrast, the Camaro was over-eager to begin each turn and then wildly out of control at the exit. Then I realised it was on CS tyres and no oil change! :lol:

With the correct factory options and servicing, it immediately cured the corner excited. Still not balanced by any means. Corner entry was do easy now, even an output could drive it.

Drifting a standard tune is always awkward, yet the DB9 for over 12,000 in my first run. Like a good mate in a pub crawl, it loosened up after a few laps. (Prolonged red zone with the tyres keeps them orange on the straights, aiding the next drift.)

The DB9 gearbox was a little too wide for drifting, like having a fight in a 3-piece suit. After a few swings its footwork improved and it was just hampered by occasional odd judging downhill into turn 3. It shall be writing to the official ombudsman about this matter.

Muscle cars drift even when you don't want then too, right? Well not in the case of the Camaro! Perhaps it was jet-lag or a breakdown in transatlantic communications. Either way, I did not see eye to eye with this semi-cultured brute.

Camaro gearbox was not right for the faster sections of the course. 3rd would have been ideal with another 5% power boost. It was borderline to bogging down even with the finest Texan crude. (Both the oil AND the mechanics.)

2nd gear and a lot of revs revealed a shocking noise. It sounded...European! But not in a good way. What a disappointment. Slightly lower score than the DB9 even after a lot more time in couples therapy together.

My vote...

DB9 all day long. Clearly the choice of the connoisseur, it has beauty in every aspect. A sumptuous exterior. Luxurious interior. Predictable, dependable driving dynamics with enough strength to kick sideways and elevate power-sliding into ballroom dancing.

Alright, I think that's enough for last week. I'm not going to bother counting the time trial this week because it was a bit of a mess. Hopefully he who won the time trial that was posted elsewhere knows who he is already. If anyone knows the real winner please drop me a line with the exact times and vehicles and I'll add it here.

This week featured the Aston Martin DB9 and Chevrolet Camaro, who went head-to-head in an epic duel of FR sportsmanstuff. It's interesting to see such a cheap sports car handle itself so well against an expensive ride some would consider a supercar. I gotta hand it to the Camaro this week though, being much lighter and having a better lap time, agile cars are much more enjoyable than boats to thrash around corners.

Let's tally up the votes here:

Camaro: 3
DB9: 1

2009-chevrolet-camaro-chroma-front.jpg

Clear win for the Chevrolet Camaro here! It's not a contest. Let's get moving onto the next duel then, featuring a duel of two Japanese super racing cars!

Week 114: Super Touring

Yet another duel straight from the brainz of @Nismonath5! This week features two cars that have similar purposes in-game and are both Japanese. Kicker is that they don't even exist in real life. They also share the distinction of being the only two cars in the game with the title of "Super Touring Car". It's somewhere between GT500 and DTM, but it's all sorts of Polyphony. Let's get it out of the way now, introducing the...

car_894_35564_553183f46639e.jpg

...Subaru Impreza Super Touring Car!

vs the...

SuzukaCircuit.jpg

...Mitsubishi FTO Super Touring Car!

I'll be honest, I already know which car I'm voting for. Let's see what both of these rival manufacturers have in common. I wonder if anyone at home has been keeping track of the win/loss ratio of these manufacturers in our duels. Also I'm wondering why PD never bothered to do a Lancer STC, it seems like it would be more fitting against the Impreza. But hey, the flying Coke Bottle looks great too, don't get me wrong.

Time trial this week takes place at Suzuka Circuit East Course. It's shorter than the original, so let's see if you can keep constantly improving your time over 10 minutes, a shorter session than usual but more frantic at that!​

Here are the results for the Time Trial at Cape Ring!

Aston Martin DB9 Coupe '03/'06:
1st. @Vic Reign93 - 0:56.482
2nd. @BenMillard - 0:57.744
3rd. @Draggon - 0:58.776 (Non-online)
4th. Some guy - 0:58.966

Chevrolet Camaro SS '10:
1st. @Vic Reign93 - 0:56.388
2nd. @BenMillard - 0:56.609
3rd. Some guy - 0:58.106
4th. @Draggon - 0:58.300 (Non-online)

The drift trial is still running until tomorrow at 4pm GMT-8, but the current standings are:

Aston Martin DB9 Coupe '03/'06:
1st. @BenMillard - 12,036
2nd. @Vic Reign93 - 11,389
3rd. Some guy - 7,314
4th. @Draggon - 6,891

Chevrolet Camaro SS '10:
1st. @Vic Reign93 - 12,011
2nd. @BenMillard - 11,882
3rd. Some guy - 8,847
4th. @Draggon - 8,010 (Non-online)

Congrats to Vic Reign and Ben Millard being pretty much untouchable per usual.

Drift trial is now up, not for the western end of Suzuka as I was planning because unbeknownst to me, Suzuka West got axed from GT6 apparently, so instead we'll do the East portion of another Japanese track, Twin Ring Motegi! Don't miss it!

Last edited:
You know what I realised? I used the car search and entered "Super Touring", and it turns out the Vauxhall Calibra Super Touring Car and the Opel Calibra Touring Car, although I though were identical cars except for the names, actually have different power figures, with the Super Touring Car showing boosted power for the same price. It also happens with the Astra, only reversed. The STC actually has less power, but what I can't get my head around is... why? Why make identical copies of the same cars but change up the numbers, and keep the price the same?

...oh, wait. The duel! Ummm, well, I have more history in the Impreza, but I'll need some mileage in the FTO before I can say anything.

Suzuka West was in GT4! Alas, I miss it as well. Not as much as Costa di Amilfi. Most wanted remakes are the GT2 edition of Special Stage Route 11 and the hard to find Rome - Night. Lost but not forgotten.

Impreza
So far the Impreza was immediately extremely easy to handle, extremely consistent lap times in the first few minutes. Gained just a little in the new few minutes. A car you can understand very quickly. Too much understeer with DS3 to really capitalise on the massive grip, maybe?

FTO
In contrast the FTO felt a bit random. Sometimes it turns in sharp, other times it washes out. Driving it like the Impreza yeilds good and consistent times. But there is a whole second to gain if you start blending the controls and tickling the brake just the way it likes. A car with immense potential but difficult to unlock - sometimes it will surprise. The only car I'm more likely to crash over the inside kerb than the outside one.

Since before your Sun burned hot in space and before your race was born, the FTO concept has been in Gran Turismo and was OP for its category. If you can unlock the agile potential of what feels like a mid-engine, four-wheel-drive.

These two vehicles hail from back in GT3 (well, technically the FTO was a butt-kicker in the PS1 titles as well but still), and if I'm honest, I never really gave these cars too much attention in favor of some of the other newer racing cars. But, we can decide which one of these two kicks more butt after 16 years.

Suzuka East Trial:
Impreza - 0:49.435
FTO - 0:48.760

I always test vehicles in order they're presented in the duel. Some instances this doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things but there are some times when the first car does really well, but the second one was a snoozer which makes the second trial just a slog to just put it around for 10 or so minutes before handing the clear victory to the first car. Thankfully I was able to give the Impreza that fair sporting chance of capturing my attention without any preconceived notions. It's just too bad it felt a little understeery in certain parts as opposed to most of the track where it felt nice and tight.

Then the FTO comes along and seriously feels like a high-powered go-kart. I found myself turning in way too much and too early on a lot of corners, because most of the other cars I drive aren't at the level of responsiveness as the FTO. This thing is a monster, and no wonder why people flock to this one as opposed to say the Impreza, the Integra, or the Altezza TC cars. (The S2000 I've had plenty of time and good experience with though).

The FTO wins.

Just a small note for those of you doing the drift trials, would you guys prefer to leave the tire selection open, or do you want to limit it to Comfort level tires only? There's been a couple of times I've dived into trials wondering why it's a pain in the neck to drift and then I realize I still have grippy tires equipped. I'm a Comfort Hards guy, but I was wondering if tire limitations would be cool with you guys.

Leaving the tyres open in drift trials means the standard car will show up in Eligible Cars. It also keeps the setting sheet free, so we can reset the tune to Racing Hard before leaving the room. Ready for the next race we do with it.

Forgot about the drifting side to this duel! Will go and have a look.

So here are my meager attempts to keep up at Suzuka East. I'd have to agree with @BenMillard on the Impreza. It does have a bit too much understeer, but it handles great and is very consistent. As I remember, it drove pretty much like it did in earlier iterations of Gran Tursimo. One of my first favorite cars in GT6. Despite two go's ( is that a go-go? ) at the TT I only improved my times by about 0.2 seconds. I even used my super secret stealth version of the car, and it didn't help.
upload_2017-9-25_23-55-35.png

The FTO was as different as it was similar. Turn in was better, it's willing to be driven hard ( I was able to improve times lap over lap ) and it's fast and stable. I could drive deeper into the turns and it held fast. However,, it's not as easy as the Impreza in my hands. To me it feels like the Scooby almost drives itself....and in this case, it's a good thing.

My humble times:
Scoobaru Impreza Super Touring Car 0:48.962
Mitsubishi FTO Super Touring Car 0:48.022

Sometimes the fastest isn't the winner. I vote for the Impreza.
upload_2017-9-26_0-3-39.png

Last edited:
I haven't had time to test the FTO all week, but I do have an old test of the Impreza, so it's better than nothing, eh?

Subaru Impreza Super Touring Car
415 hp / 7,900 rpm
393 ft-lb / 4,500 rpm
1,030 kg (2,271 lbs)
553 pp

It's ridiculously fast. Of the 700+ cars I've tested at Mid-Field, the Subaru comes in 13th place, ahead of such cars as the R32 Skyline GT-R Touring Car, and over 1 second quicker than the non-super Subaru Impreza Touring Car.

My vote for this weeks duel has to go to the FTO.

It's a car that in the world of GT has stood the test of time by being one of the few race cars to be in every major version of GT.

Was at its most powerful in GT3 and at its most OP form in GT1 and GT2 and while later games lowered the cars maximum capabilities, it's still a car that can hold its own in the right PP lobbies.

Verdict: FTO 👍

Actually, I retract me previous statement, whoever reads this post first may start next week's duel, just be sure to tell everyone you'll be doing it first.

Back