GT6 Duel of the Week 2 - The Last Lap

GT3 vs What???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So for the past two weeks, we've taken a look at two JDM masters that are extremely popular for various reasons. One of them being the Doriftus. With two increadibly lightweight and efficient cars this was a close matchup. Personally, I wasn't expecting this duel to be as close as it was. I was of the impression that the AE86 would be inferior due to its age but I was wrong. In the end the AE86 managed to stick it out and gain the favour of some threadgoers.

Let's count up your votes...

AE86: 3
RX-7: 3

Six people voted this week, that's a pretty good turnout!

Wait... doesn't that mean it's a tie though? Well... I guess I am still part of this after all. After a quick test run (with a vanilla standard FD RX-7 and the Initial D version of the 86) I can confirm my preference towards the 86. When you drive the RX-7 you get a strange tendency for the car to step out and drift even with the TC on 5. The front rotates into the corner near the end of the turn causing the back to kick out. I found this more annoying than fun. The 86 benefits from the incredible low curb weight so it's much more fun to drive in my opinion.

So that's 4-3 for the AE86.

The winner of the last two weeks is the

Toyota AE86 (Initial D Version)!

IMG_2526.PNG

Nani?! K-Kansei Doriftu?!

Week 120: American Icons of the 60's!

This week of dueling takes us across the pacific and back in time three decades to the 60s. A time of cheap horsepower and fire breathing V8s. What these muscle cars lacked in proper cornering was a large engine with huge power. Naturally these cars made for some great racing versions too. Often building upon the shoddy handling and stripping out all the cow in the interior. This week we have two cars that have some racing heritage. Both have big V8s and huge tires, but one's missing a roof?

Give a warm welcome to the...

IMG_2528.JPG

...1966 Shelby Cobra 427!

And it's rival, the real but also fictional...

IMG_2529.JPG

...1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Race Car!

Of course, two 'Merican beasts need an equally patriotic battleground to duke it out. The track of fates this week will be ye olde Brickyard. Indianapolis Motor Speedway's fabled road course layout. Stop by the drag strip section as well on your way by.

With that out of the way, I'll let @ThrasherDBS take it away with the results from last week and the next Doriftu event...

Since I'm new to the club I have a question. How do we do the tires on these cars? One has sport hard and the other race hard. Do I upgrade the Cobra or downgrade the Camaro or leave it as is?

Since I'm new to the club I have a question. How do we do the tires on these cars? One has sport hard and the other race hard. Do I upgrade the Cobra or downgrade the Camaro or leave it as is?

Usually for the time trials we do Sports Hard or less, or at least that's what I used to do before Thrasher took over running the online club. I guess I order him to do that this week.

Got the Time Trial up at Indianapolis Road Course and the Drift Trial at London Reverse to harken back to the days of old 60s-70s chase movies. Both end on December 13th.

The results from the last duel is gonna have to wait because I've got to head to work right now, and I'm also battling a turbulent home/family life right now. So hoping to get that done tomorrow, or Tuesday.

Got the Time Trial up at Indianapolis Road Course and the Drift Trial at London Reverse to harken back to the days of old 60s-70s chase movies. Both end on December 13th.

The results from the last duel is gonna have to wait because I've got to head to work right now, and I'm also battling a turbulent home/family life right now. So hoping to get that done tomorrow, or Tuesday.

Thanks for setting it up, sorry to hear about your troubles. :indiff:

Alrighty so let's get the results out of the way while I've got the time:

Week #119 Results

Time Trial at Trial Mountain

Toyota SPRINTER TRUENO GT-APEX (S.Shigeno Ver.) '00
1st. @Vic Reign93 - 1:38.756
2nd. @Draggon - 1:39.622 (Offline)
3rd. @Rinsky - 1:42.436 (BY TWO THOUSANDTHS OF A SECOND HOLY COW)
4th. Myself - 1:42.438
5th. @mica3speedy - 1:46.252

Mazda efini RX-7 Type R (FD) '91
1st. @Vic Reign93 - 1:38.276
2nd. @Draggon - 1:38.659 (Offline)
3rd. Myself - 1:42.223
4th. @Rinsky - 1:43.730
5th. @mica3speedy - 1:47.248

Drift Trial at Autumn Ring Reverse

1st. @Vic Reign93 - 24,305
2nd. Myself - 16,455
3rd. @Draggon - 13,424 (Offline)

Mazda efini RX-7 Type R (FD) '91
1st. @Vic Reign93 - 23,506
2nd. Myself - 16,920
3rd. @Draggon - 15,902 (Offline)

Looks like it's Vic with the clean sweep this time, but a special shoutout to @Rinsky and @mica3speedy for joining in on our dorito adventures for this iteration of Duel of the Week!

1st. @Vic Reign93 - 1:38.756
2nd. @Draggon - 1:39.622 (Offline)
3rd. @Rinsky - 1:42.436 (BY TWO THOUSANDTHS OF A SECOND HOLY COW)
4th. Myself - 1:42.438
5th. @mica3speedy - 1:46.252

Now that's what I call a battle. I would love to see our replays side by side but i didn't record mine.:(
Sorry I didn't compete in the drifting part. I haven't really had much practice at drifting so im not any good at all.

Sorry to here about your troubles and I hope whatever it is turns around for you very soon.

Usually when I pit a racing car against a normal car, I expect the racing car to be the dominant one, regardless of whether or not they're at the same PP level.

This was not the case.

Indianapolis Road Course Trial:
Cobra - 1:44.227
Camaro RM - 1:47.680

So with sports cars made around their time, transmissions were not geared for top speed in the slightest. I was actually really surprised that the Cobra got up to about 150mph before hitting the limit. The Camaro though, oh my goodness. Not much you can do on tracks with sizeable straightaways and a top speed of 125mph. Not that the Camaro would've made up much of a difference in the corners, because it was annoyingly stiff as opposed to the Cobra which slithers back and forth much like an actual snake. The Cobra wound up being much faster and a lot more fun to drive as a result.

The Cobra is a clear winner.

While almost every stat between both cars is identical they are both completely different.
First we start off with a 1969 Camaro Z28 Race Car. For some crazy reason its transmission from the dealership is set at 130mph... Really?
In a matter of seconds your bouncing of the revlimiter at 125mph. What a shame unless your racing the 1/4 mile but its not that kinda Race Car.

Next we have the 1966 Shelby Cobra. It's top speed reached its max at 160mph while this is much better they then go and put on horrible tires. The Cobra is almost undriveable and is so unrealistic to the real thing. At one point I watched the Cobra slide off the track at 20mph yeah I said 20mph. Any car that couldn't take a curve at that speed wouldn't be aloud on the road. Fortunately in real life it can go much much faster.

So I'm taking the first part of my review and I'm making these two American Classics into the battle it should have been. First the Camaro comes with the transmission upgrade so it's an easy few right clicks and it's now set at 155mph
Next I take the Cobra and slap on a set of race hard tires just like the Camaro has and Bam! It's done. Now I have two equal cars seeing as one was built as a race car and then detuned for street use and then one built for street use and modified to a race car.

Handling:
The Camaro stays well planted on Race Hard tires (the extra down force here really helps) but the Cobra can still get very tail happy at times. Both have a ton of grip in the corners but you can definitely put the power down on the Camaro a lot sooner than the Cobra. There is no denying that the Camaro has an edge here.

CAMARO 1
COBRA 0

Power:
Both cars are making over 400+ HP and now have around the same top speed but what helped the Camaro in handling hurts it here as its much harder to build up speed with all that down force compared to the Cobra. The Cobra's power is instant and comes on like being shot out of a cannon it will put a smile on your face every time you pin the throttle. The Cobra has the edge here and also has 61hp more.

CAMARO 1
COBRA 1

Braking:
Should be no surprise here that the Camaro has Race Brakes installed and it shows as it stops or slows down with ease. The Cobra has regular brakes installed and early braking is a must to keep from over shooting the turn. I could have put race Brakes on the Cobra but since the Camaro has down force as its negitive I kept the Brakes as is for the Cobra's negitive. The edge goes to the Camaro.

CAMARO 2
COBRA 1

Transmission:
Even tho I changed the gearbox on the Camaro to match the Cobra's its still lacking that hard punch from takeoff or slow corners. The individual gear ratios are not as tall as the Cobra's making it redline quite quick. The bottom line is the Cobra's gearbox is just far better even tho its the stock non-adjustable one and the Camaro even comes with the fully adjustable trans.
The edge goes to the Cobra here.

CAMARO 2
COBRA 2

Price:
In the game both cars are very high in price. Im guessing that the 1966 427 Shelby Cobra is a replica and not the real deal seeing as how the exact same car and year just sold at the Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction for 5.5 million

Shelby Cobra - 530,550 Credits. Has been in GT since GT2
Z28 Camaro Race Car - 215,000 Credits. Has been in GT since GT5

I'm calling this one a tie. Yeah the Cobra is twice as much as the Camaro but it's also been around since the beginning and you always pay extra for nostalgia.

Lap Times:
Indianapolis Road Course

COBRA 1:36.547
CAMARO 1:37.357

Online Time Trials:

COBRA. 1:43.800
CAMARO 1:46.605

COBRA 4
CAMARO 2

Winner Shelby Cobra

Results for the Snow Sidewinder battle just concluded at Chamonix East, let's see how we did!

1st. Myself - SRT Viper SRT10 ACR '08 - 1:17.700
2nd. @Vic Reign93 - SRT Viper GTS '99 - 1:18.458
3rd. @Draggon - SRT Viper GTS Launch Edition '13 - 1:18.532
4th. Myself - SRT Viper GTS '02 - 1:20.560

I say Vic wins, seeing as how it took me driving literally the best Viper to beat him. Congrats.

For the next fun event, I'm thinking Lancers, how about you guys?

For the next fun event, I'm thinking Lancers, how about you guys?

And another snow event? That would be cool, Lancers too. Or the PT Cruiser. That one is surprising on snow. Trust me......Hey @ThrasherDBS have you noticed that the physics on dirt is better in GT Sport than GT6?

How do you know so?

Do you mean the PT Cruiser or dirt events in GT Sport? We ran the PT Cruiser on snow over at COTW and it surprised everyone. As for GT Sport, I though I'd ask you since you're better at dirt events than I am. It seems to me that the physics on dirt in Sport are great, while in GT6 I really didn't like running on dirt and never seemed able to grasp the handling.

Waflz wanted one where you could tune the transmission settings so that's going to wrap up on the 13th with the other trials. Be sure to set your times soon!

Waflz wanted one where you could tune the transmission settings so that's going to wrap up on the 13th with the other trials. Be sure to set your times soon!

Nice, that oughta make a difference!

Man, I've been out of the loop here and over at COTW. That darn GT Sport has consumed my life. I'll give these two a go again with a proper trans, and then post a review.

Last edited:
I test the cars as they are from the showroom, so my tests and verdict stands as is. This was purely to satisfy our fearless leader.

Just steppin by for a bit here and got it over with.

I started out with the Camaro and noticed right from the get go that something was odd with its handling.
Yes it was kind of stable and solid but it lacked that kind of sharpness in turning I expect out of a so called racecar.
Enough was said about the transmission setup. :banghead:

I then switched over to the cobra
... and got bitten and eaten alive by it. :bowdown:
I started with my usual setup (tc_0, abs_1) and could not finish a lap without mowing the lawn and doing donuts.
I got stuck doing laps like on eggshells, finishing them @1:47,xxx.
That was almost 2 seconds slower than the friggin Camaro. Unacceptable!
So I went back to the lab and tinkered quite a bit with my settings. This was actually the first time I had to do that in order to get around a track properly.
I then concluded, after almost 30 laps of testing, at tcs_5 and abs_3.
I kind of feel ashamed by it but it worked for me as I could not get a hold of this snake otherwise.

Final times:
Camaro 1:46,326
Cobra 1:43,696

I really dont know which one I do actually prefer.

I wonder how many hours are left now, I'm busy atm and I'll check it out when I get home. Probably too late anyways.

Anyways, I was thinking of which duel to do next, and I was like "yeah, let's do the Jaguar F-Type against something" and then I was like "oh yeah". Give me a bit more time.

Edit 12/21: Something's weird. I first posted this weeks ago, then again last week, and just now I found it still wasn't posted. Anyhoo, this is what I had to say about the Camaro and Cobra:

I'm not sure what to say about this weeks duel other than it was difficult. Hampered by SH tires made this more of a challenge to keep the back end on the track rather than set a good time. The Camaro was bad, but the Cobra was badder. "Worse" badder, not like Danny Trejo "badder". I love the Camaro, while its not the best touring car by any means, its fun, and that's the main factor for me. I think I write about that a lot, which victim of the duel is fun vs. outright quicker. The Shelby was a huge handful. It's ok for cruising around, but out of the box, holy moly. Maybe if I had better finger skills I could tame the beast.... oy vai.

Indianapolis TT a.k.a. Draggons DS3 nemesis

Cobra 427 '66 1:45.416
Camaro Z28 Race Car '69 1:47.202

Verdict: Camaro Z28 Race Car.

Just an FYI I thought I had posted this two Saturdays ago when I did the TT. I've been forgetting a lot lately, I hope it's just one of those things that happens when you get old.

Hate the whole double-post thing, but I get the impression that this thread is on life-support much like GT6's online services are.

Welp, might as well post the results from the previous duel events:

Week #120 Results:

Time Trial at Indianapolis Road Course:

Shelby Cobra 427 '66
1st. @Vic Reign93 - 1:41.982
2nd. @chillmazta - 1:43.696
3rd. @Rinsky - 1:43.800
4th. Someone - 1:44.227
5th. @Draggon - 1:45.416

Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Race Car '69
1st. @chillmazta - 1:46.326
2nd. @Rinsky - 1:46.604
3rd. @Draggon - 1:47.202
4th. Someone - 1:47.680

Drift Trial at London Reverse

Shelby Cobra 427 '66
I was the only one who did this one, so... yay me?

Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Race Car '69
1st: @Vic Reign93 - 11,376
2nd: Someone - 6,366

Congrats to Vic and chillmazta, I guess since it's been five whole days since Christmas Eve a duel hasn't been given by our fearless leader. I wonder if this thread is about to die or what. GT6's days are numbered, and I think the writing is on the wall for the thread as well. Nevertheless, I can help keep this going if need be until this thing finally burns to the ground.

To just inject some more life into this thread I've got a challenge up on the online club. Since Lancer vs. Impreza has been our most prevalent rivalry, I've got a battle royale event on the Eiger G Trail. I'll separate the results between production models and racing models, so pick a car and go for gold! The challenge ends on January 10th, giving about a week and a half for this to run. If @MrWaflz55 has another duel in mind, I'll put that up as well.

I'm game to ride this out till the end. Are you guys with me?

Hate the whole double-post thing, but I get the impression that this thread is on life-support much like GT6's online services are.

I'm game to ride this out till the end. Are you guys with me?

Yep, I'll hang in here with you. Thanks for all the effort that you have put into this. The duel of the week and car of the week are the main things that keep me on GT6.

And thanks to @MrWaflz55 for not letting it die this when Cowboy moved onto greener pastures.

So, I'm pretty sure last duel was a pretty huge blowout in favour of the Shelby Cobra. Members of the forums expressed their frustrations with the Camaro's un-racecar like handling and the horrid gearbox on the stock model. I'm sure the Camaro would have stood a better chance if tuning was allowed for the time trial, however that could possibly provide some members with an unfair advantage.

So last duel's winner was the...

¥³¥Ö¥é.jpg

Shelby Cobra 427!

Week 121: New Year, New Duels

I hope you all have been experiencing a wonderful holiday season, I myself have. It's time to get on with the next duel, open until next Sunday (or however many votes we get). This week will feature some pretty crappy old cars, but I'm positive neither of them have been featured on this thread yet, so we have some newcomers this week. One's FF and underpowered, the other's FR and underpowered. They're pretty dirt cheap as far as sports cars go. This week is bringing you the cream of the crap this time around (unless you tune 'em up of course).

It's the...

OyfEwCJwyH.jpg

2000 Fiat Barchetta Giovane Due!!!

...against the...

NGTzV5Q1GLJg5hW.jpg

1988 Nissan Silvia Q's (S13)!!!

@ThrasherDBS, This week's time trial will be held at Madrid, the full circuit. Take these FF cars around the Spanish city and compete for the best time while the servers are still up! Don't worry though, after the servers go down I'll show you what I have in store for the future of the time trials!

The side dish this week will be Ferrari models only at Monza, restricted to 600PP, and weight restricted to 1,200kg. Will you choose the FR 599 GTB or the nimble 458 Italia? Pretty easy choice for me, but I'll see what you guys bring. I'll see you at the end of the week with a new duel!

Last edited:
Hello, do you race the cars on free run or? I ask because you say while the servers are still up, but Madrid is not any online race.

Back