GT6 Framerate depends on which console you have.

• Thread starter xSNAKEx
  • 263 comments
CECHLxx, 3rd Gen., 80GB, 65nm CPU / GPU fat. Noting replaced, with no settings tweaked. No major problems in GT6 at 1080p, outside of framerate hiccups on some parade starts, rain, dust, smoke, etc.. You're the one for me, fatty. You're the one for me, a-hey-hey.

I have a 160GB Slim. I cannot see any screen tear at all, and no frame rate drops during playing in normal tracks. Even in cockpit view.

Old-school fat PS3 40GB here... it has a new 750GB 7200rpm drive in it... no issues with frame rate or temperatures at all... I think if you have your console in a place where it can properly ventilate, you'll be more than fine... I've never had an issue...

I have a 160gb ps3 slim and digital version of GT6 and have no Frame rate drops or screen tearing. This experiment you tested isn't accurate at all for the simple fact that reading off the disc can cause stuttering and frame rate drops ect. Myth busted.

My CECHA 60gb launch model performed better during its last days of life than my current CECH 4001 GOW 500gb RED super slim which looks to be 30fps 100% of the time. Neither had any problems maintaining FPS, but both left me questioning whether GT6 is really 60fps.
I don't think you can make claims like this based on experience with 1 console of each gen.

I have a 320 GB PS3 slim and I noticed big gains changing resolution to 720p and turning sharpen image on. With this setting I've noticed very minimal screen tearing and frame drops playing in cockpit view.

Do not turn on Flicker Reduction, because that absolutely reduces frame rates. I have noticed GT6 seems to be more susceptible to frame rate drops than GT5.

I have the disc versions of GT6 & GT5, my PS3 sits horizontally.

Last edited:
I have a 500gb CECH-4002a and its running buttersmooth. the only noticable dip in fps i have found is on the moon and not so often but sometimes inside of the car in cockpitveiw with 16 cars. 1080p mode. Mine is standing verticaly with the disk version of the game.

Edit: I havent spotted any tearing (yet)

I'm running a 250GB Slim, it's a very good performer. Only noticed slight framerate drops, and they were one-off occurrences. Very happy with how it's running, bit surprised about the 120GB though.

Just in case anyone is any doubt on this, In Eurogamers technical review of the slim vs fat:
Makes perfect sense, what wouldn't make sense is having different versions (more power/less power) of the same console. Then to run certain games properly, you need certain improved version of the console?? Just no.

A better comparison would be using the same hard drive, a step further would be using PSN version.
I think so, too. Hard drives can go bad over time, and a failing hard drive might be slow due to errors. If the game is having trouble reading from or writing to the drive it might cause performance problems. Also, the caching the game does might have some performance impact. I wish GT6 had an install option like GT5 so you could just get everything cached to the hard drive up front rather than having to periodically wait for the game to cache something.

I would suspect more to do with adequate cooling/ventilation has more to do with it than anything. The older the console, the more dust will be built up inside (if not regularly and thoroughly cleaned), inducing overheating of the RAM and CPU, yielding the lower framerates/performance. Also, the heatsink/thermal paste/fan combo may be deteriorating (especially thermal paste condition and contact). I though I had heard about a known issue with the heatsink losing contact in older PS3s as well.

I'm quite surprised to see that some people still own a workable fat PS3. Mine died around 3 times before i decided to switch to a 160gb slim, my favorite PS3 by far! My old fat PS3 sounded like a fighter jet taking off in my room. :scared: I do miss the touch sensitive buttons tough!
I mean it's kinda luck of the draw but as long as you keep it ventilated and in a fairly open space there is no reason why it should fail. The only reason my original ps2 failed was because the laser reader was terrible...

I would suspect more to do with adequate cooling/ventilation has more to do with it than anything. The older the console, the more dust will be built up inside (if not regularly and thoroughly cleaned), inducing overheating of the RAM and CPU, yielding the lower framerates/performance. Also, the heatsink/thermal paste/fan combo may be deteriorating (especially thermal paste condition and contact). I though I had heard about a known issue with the heatsink losing contact in older PS3s as well.
I would need to see evidence that the GPU and cell processor cores dynamically clock down if they get over hot, for this to be true. I very much doubt that they will.

I would expect to see crashes etc. though, in an overheat scenario. Frame rate drops, not so much.

I would need to see evidence that the GPU and cell processor cores dynamically clock down if they get over hot, for this to be true. I very much doubt that they will.

I would expect to see crashes etc. though, in an overheat scenario. Frame rate drops, not so much.
yeah the 360 would just freeze if anything overheated so does the ps3 that's where the RROD and ylod came from, no auto shutdown. For now that's only pc motherboards.

I've had the luxury of comparing 4 consoles with GT6 side by side and was surprised at the differences between the lot. It is clear some ps3s are MUCH more capable than others in terms of processing power. I suspect this occurs in all games but is more evident when a game maxes out the hardware like GT6,

All testing was done in 1080p on the same TV. PS3 and game settings were mucked around with but kept the same for comparison purposes for an overall result.

Fat 40GB CECHG04. 90nm GPU, 65nm CPU

Very bad FPS. Stuttering in 3d rendering of cars in garage, gallery and dealerships and the animation when you purchase cars.

Really bad game play FPS unless in bumper cam. A high amount of tearing. On screen smoke and chase view really bog this down, so does distant scenery and lots going on screen.

Slim 120GB CECH 2001a model 45nm CPU 65nm GPU

Very poor performer. Lots of tearing and bad fps. This console is very weak for its time. A big surprise. Almost unplayable unless you turn off HDMI deep color and dynamic range and set gt6 to sharpen image.

3xxx series PS3 Slim 320GB. 40nm GPU and 45nm CPU. (the ones that no longer have disc or wifi lights)

The absolute BEST of of any ps3 version I have seen. No tearing whatsoever and almost no frame rate drops. The only time it ever dropped fps even the slightest is chase cam with lots of debris. etc in was evident moon missions. No framerate loss in cockpit view. Not a single stutter in Gallery mode or the buy car animations etc. This consoles performance was consistently smooth as silk.

PS3 Super Slim CECH-4002a. 45nm CPU and 40nm GPU

Almost as good as the 3xxx series PS3 Slims but not quite. FPS is generally good but drops are evident when dust is kicked up, and on some tracks a fair amount of consistent tearing was present.

So to all those complaining about bad frame rates when gt6 came out, you can post here what ps3 version and model you have and your ps3 display settings.

Important note
I can confirm setting GT6 to SHARPEN IMAGE in the video options greatly increases FPS on problem systems. In addition, "XMB" Display Settings, HDMI deep colour and dynamic range to "off" or "limited" eases the rendering burden as well.
Where do you think a gen II fat 80gb would stand in this?
I'll play with my settings and see what changes, but so far I think GT6 generally looks a good bit better for me than GT5.

I have a launch-day fatty. Never had crashes, screen-tearing, or FPS drops. It's latest upgrade was to get the dust out of the vents with a vacuum.

My system is a fat 80gb model upgraded with an OCZ Agility SSD and I get great frame rates on any cam in GT6 and almost zero tearing, and that's with no Sharpen Image and full deep colour and dynamic range. Might be because of the SSD? It would be interesting to see how much difference the SSD would make in GT6 compared to the original HDD on the same system. If I still had my original HDD I would test, but it now resides in my mom's old PC.

I highly doubt the unit model or generation really count for anything. I'm willing to bet the difference comes from CPU/GPU degradation and throttling (Overheating, etc.) Slow HDDs could also fact in greatly. Unless there was a clock speed bump between the generations (Completely possible), they would realistically perform all the same if the condition of the units were all the same with the same drives.

My system is a fat 80gb model upgraded with an OCZ Agility SSD and I get great frame rates on any cam in GT6 and almost zero tearing, and that's with no Sharpen Image and full deep colour and dynamic range. Might be because of the SSD? It would be interesting to see how much difference the SSD would make in GT6 compared to the original HDD on the same system. If I still had my original HDD I would test, but it now resides in my mom's old PC.
SSDs do not improve frame rates, they do improve load times though.

The only difference between those version of PS3 are the hard drives. Processor, ram, and GPU are all exactly the same. So the difference may be attributed to varying hard drive speeds/cache, etc.

I highly doubt the unit model or generation really count for anything. I'm willing to bet the difference comes from CPU/GPU degradation and throttling (Overheating, etc.) Slow HDDs could also fact in greatly. Unless there was a clock speed bump between the generations (Completely possible), they would realistically perform all the same if the condition of the units were all the same with the same drives.
There is no clock speed difference in the CPU/GPU between generations.

I also doubt the clock speed gets dynamically reduced as the temps increase, but I could be wrong.

I have a 320GB slim(was bundled with GT5) and it has WiFi and HDD lights.

Not seen any real issues, tearing lines now and then.

die 1x1 for newbs:

die shrinks not only reduce costs or even power usage, they also let the transistors work faster(20-30% each shrink(90-65-45/40)

another fact: the hotter a die gets the electric resistance gets higher too and transistors tend to work slower, bigger dies are more difficult to cool as you all allready know.

i have an ch2504a ps3 slim and game runs smooth(best ps3 in my opinion anyway) only stutters slightly with smoke/dust on the screen.

Back