gt6 most used drift tires vs real drift tires

• Thread starter alexnipi
  • 68 comments
It would most likely be CM-CS since sports tires are semi-slicks.

Not every drifter in the world uses high performance tires to drift though, some people who just drift as a hobby use any tires they can get their hands on, which are probably closer to CH than anything.

Personally from track experience alot of us get Semi Slicks that are down to 50% tread left or less as they are cheap by tyre shops and they fit wheels over 17"

Personally from track experience alot of us get Semi Slicks that are down to 50% tread left or less as they are cheap by tyre shops and they fit wheels over 17"

Perhaps do a test, put on SH and shred them down to half tread by doing burnouts or whatever... then see how it feels drifting.

I still have a feeling it will be grippier than CH on full tread but it would be an interesting experiment.

Perhaps do a test, put on SH and shred them down to half tread by doing burnouts or whatever... then see how it feels drifting.

I still have a feeling it will be grippier than CH on full tread but it would be an interesting experiment.

I've tried that already, it feels horrid

I've tried that already, it feels horrid

Logically yeah. When buying half used tires irl, all 4 tires will be in a less than good shape. But in GT6, when you get your rear tires to half their thread, your front tires will still have maximum, or near to that, amounts of grip.

All 4? People I know usually just replace the rear tires with worn tires.

Oh well if it feels horrid then that's that.

Logically yeah. When buying half used tires irl, all 4 tires will be in a less than good shape. But in GT6, when you get your rear tires to half their thread, your front tires will still have maximum, or near to that, amounts of grip.

Woah woah.. over here, it's like 2 pairs of front tires for the front that are brand new. Depending on camber wear you may need another pair.

All 4? People I know usually just replace the rear tires with worn tires.

Oh well if it feels horrid then that's that.
Woah woah.. over here, it's like 2 pairs of front tires for the front that are brand new. Depending on camber wear you may need another pair.

My post was misconstrued because I was in a hurry. I should have been way more elaborate:

When street drifters or hobbyists drift, they use worn tires on the rear, and as Streeto says, they only switch out the rear tires. I used to do the same.

Thing is, the front tires for most of those cars would be the tires used for daily driving, which would result in a grip loss in the front, compared to the Sport Hard compound ingame.

This grip loss in the front is very difficult to compensate, unless you use S:H worn tires in the rear, and for example C:S or C:M on the front.

Maybe, that would feel a bit more logical, S30Z?

My post was misconstrued because I was in a hurry. I should have been way more elaborate:

When street drifters or hobbyists drift, they use worn tires on the rear, and as Streeto says, they only switch out the rear tires. I used to do the same.

Thing is, the front tires for most of those cars would be a lot less grippy than tires used for daily driving, which would result in a grip loss in the front, compared to the Sport Hard compound ingame.

This grip loss in the front is very difficult to compensate, unless you use S:H worn tires in the rear, and for example C:S or C:M on the front.

Maybe, that would feel a bit more logical, S30Z?

Yeah makes sense

Tires that have 50% life have been heat cycled enough that the grip that they provide is no where near what the tire is capable off when it was new.

[quote"fastfox400, post: 9644590, member: 199380"]Tires that have 50% life have been heat cycled enough that the grip that they provide is no where near what the tire is capable off when it was new.[/quote]
Which Is why they are preferred, since when they do heat up its not too grippy. So perfect for lower powered cars.

I enjoy messing around Sports tires, doing touge, Kanjo, and Wangan runs...but for drifting??

I've heard a lot of people who claim to have "real life drifting experience" say that Sports Hards are better for drifting, as they say using Comforts is too slow and like driving on ice....

Now, I'm not going to get into the "comforts are too slow" bit...but do people who "drift" on sports tires ever bother to check their speedometer while they are drifting? Those numbers don't strike you as being, even slightly, unrealistically high? I mean, how can you claim sports tires are more realistic, but then be drifting at speeds 10, 20, 30 miles an hour faster than would ever be possible in real life?

I'm not one to preach, and I don't care what tires other people drift on. And if you enjoy drifting at crazy fast speeds (who doesn't, from time to time?), that's cool too. But I get irked when I hear people claim Sports tires are more realistic...I just don't see it.

I know right? Let's see them go 80 miles an hour sideways and say it's slow. xD

The real life drifters i know, even those who drive in national championship, mostly use used tyres. Because they are cheap, and tyres burn away very fast while drifting.

I am not an IRL drifter that much, as it puts a lot of strain on the engine and transmission and i grew tired of rebuilding these. I do like sliding in the rain (cheap, remember ? ), but i am more an IRL grip driving guy. Still, i am having a lot of fun on gravel and dirt tracks with a tuned evo 8 in GT6 :)

Back when I was drifting (or at least learning to do so) I had someone in a SRT10 ACR following close behind me while I was using my Turbo C. A bit selfish since I would have no chance keeping up if I were trying to follow, but it was nerve-racking just how close he was getting and staying--so clearly it depends on the person behind the wheel. I say 'he' but I really don't know, Japanese flag and broken English.
And @MRDEVIL they don't restrict to Comfort tires, at least not as of late, as I've been using completely stock cars lately just to eek by with a Gold and get that dang paint chip. :lol:

I enjoy messing around Sports tires, doing touge, Kanjo, and Wangan runs...but for drifting??

I've heard a lot of people who claim to have "real life drifting experience" say that Sports Hards are better for drifting, as they say using Comforts is too slow and like driving on ice....

Now, I'm not going to get into the "comforts are too slow" bit...but do people who "drift" on sports tires ever bother to check their speedometer while they are drifting? Those numbers don't strike you as being, even slightly, unrealistically high? I mean, how can you claim sports tires are more realistic, but then be drifting at speeds 10, 20, 30 miles an hour faster than would ever be possible in real life?

I'm not one to preach, and I don't care what tires other people drift on. And if you enjoy drifting at crazy fast speeds (who doesn't, from time to time?), that's cool too. But I get irked when I hear people claim Sports tires are more realistic...I just don't see it.

Now I feel weird because I've been drifting this 800 HP Mustang with Sport Hards :/

MUCH closer to CH than SH!

I think some people just get confused by the sense of speed in GT6 (or lack of)...

Or, their knowledge of real life drifting goes as far as FnF Tokyo Drift... :lol:

Nice sarcasm.

But anyways, I switched to CMs and have been tuning, and everything's been really nice.

Heck I don't even know if anyone tried but the Toyota FT-1 with CMs drifts really well. Without even tuning.

MUCH closer to CH than SH!

I think some people just get confused by the sense of speed in GT6 (or lack of)...

Or, their knowledge of real life drifting goes as far as FnF Tokyo Drift... :lol:

i wish people would pay attention to their speedometers when they drift 100mph drifts arent normal lol

Well, I'm of the ones who do pay attention to the speedometer and many times it shocks me how fast we going drifting and we don't feel it/see it, as far as the graphics show.

Well, I'm of the ones who do pay attention to the speedometer and many times it shocks me how fast we going drifting and we don't feel it/see it, as far as the graphics show.

Lol the fastest I've ever drift was about seventy five miles per hour.

Maybe I could get away with eighty, but if I go around eighty five or hundred, I'd surely understeer and go off the track.

There are plenty of other tacks that allow you to go faster whilst still maintaining Ch tyres.

*if you're talking about me*

I use CMs and maybe It's because I always brake just so I could get a really nice drift on a corner.

I tend to tune the car so the weight in the rear pushes the car forward. Can get a little more speed out of it.

I've drifted on all types of tires on GT6. Personally I enjoy comfort tires most , while they might be slower then the higher grade tires I enjoy the drifts much more since its easier to link all my drifts around an entire track or through multiple sections.

Back