GT6 on PS4???

  • Thread starter Thread starter adam46
  • 24 comments
  • 3,352 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
2,273
United Kingdom
Hampshire
Messages
AdamWeller_
Ok I know that so far there have been 2 proper GT's on each playstation, but with the ever growing gap between GT release dates, is it not possible that GT6 will be on sony's next console?
 
From what I gather, the GT5 development process was completely restarted at some point. Kaz has stated that future GT releases won't take as long considering the main game platform will be able to be reused, so it would just take the amount of time needed for the new tracks/cars/features. I think we will probably see GT6 for the PS3.
 
Nope. Kaz said that GT6 will come much faster because they will use GT5 as a base.
GT5 was built all new from the ground up.
GT5P and GT5 share very little if any coding.

Plus, the PS4 probably won't be out until 2014 at the earlyist. IMO.
 
If PD is smart (which they are), they're probably keeping all their resources they've gathered over the years. This could range from photos, sounds, basic programming models, and even the car models themselves. That alone should cut down on development time for any subsequent games.
 
Shawnphillips, I read that according to the president of sony america, the PS3 will have a 10 year life span so 2014-2017 sounds highly likely for PS4
 
It can go either way, in my opinion.

Hopefully it won't take another 5 years to start out on a new system like it has with the PS3.
 
Hopefully it won't take another 5 years to start out on a new system like it has with the PS3.

I'm also worried about that. Just imagine, every other GT takes five years to develop. I believe that PD should stop developing games for the PSP. Can't really have a serious racing sim on a portable, handheld console.
 
I agree with that, jedaye. I would trade GTPSP for GT5 anyday.Also,SrRd RacinG I would prefer GT6 to be a release game on PS4 instead of a game on a dying out PS3.
 
GT6 should be on PS3, there's no reason for it not to be. The next gen consoles are due long before Sony plans to bring out a new Playstation, so I imagine that it will be a rather different concept to what we currently have - it will be as far removed from the PS3 as the PS3 is from the first Playstation.

Sony have managed to make the previous Playstations really last, there's no reason the PS3 won't, as long as hardware faults can be kept to a minimum.
 
From my How old will you be topic:

Here are the dates of Gran Turismo titles first released in Japan.


Gran Turismo (Japan): December 23rd, 1997

1 year, 11 months, 18 days later....

Gran Turismo 2 (Japan): December 11th, 1999

1 year, 4 months, 18 days later....

Gran Turismo 3 (Japan): April 28th, 2001

3 years, 8 months later....

Gran Turismo 4 (Japan): December 28th, 2004

5 years, 1 month, 26 days and counting.....

Gran Turismo 5: Still TBA



Take a look at the time between GT3 & GT4 (same platform: PS2): 3 years and 8 months. That, too, is quite a long wait. Now, speaking of GT5 & GT6 (assume the same platform: PS3), I don' think it'll be nearly as long. If GT6 appears on the PS3, I'd be the first to guess it'll take between 2 and 3 years. Better yet, maybe even 1.5-2.5 years. Because afterall, the content difference between GT3 & GT4 was absolutely HUGE. From a mere 20 tracks to 50, and from a car jump of about 300 to 750. Not to mention, a notably more in-depth GT Mode. I would not expect a content gap as big as that regarding GT5 & GT6. Hence, less than 3 years. Perhaps about 2.
 
Last edited:
I agree with that, jedaye. I would trade GTPSP for GT5 anyday.Also,SrRd RacinG I would prefer GT6 to be a release game on PS4 instead of a game on a dying out PS3.



Think you are going to be disappointed, because the PS3 still has another four years to go in its life span. So GT6 should be showing up around 2012 to 2013 in my opinion! Hopefully PD has already started work on GT6!
 
Use DLC to beef up a game on a platform - one GT per platform is the way to go, so the community is not fractured!

I see no point in releasing another GT game on the PS3 after GT5 comes out. All you need to do is add more cars and tracks as time goes on, tweak physics and such. And big additions can be patched in
 
Use DLC to beef up a game on a platform - one GT per platform is the way to go, so the community is not fractured!

I see no point in releasing another GT game on the PS3 after GT5 comes out. All you need to do is add more cars and tracks as time goes on, tweak physics and such. And big additions can be patched in

That's actually not too bad an idea. It'd be difficult to manage in terms of cost / size of updates, but it might just work...

Still, four years is a long time to string us along with DLC - and, strictly speaking, there won't be a proper community to fracture until we see what online features GT5 will have.

Who knows, GT6 might tie into this same system. In my opinion, releasing games across different hardware is more likely to cause segregation.
 
If GT6 appears on the PS3, why would we need a whole new game. With DLC we can have new cars tracks, feautres as well as even physics updates. Personally I think the next GT will be on the PS4 while GT5 should constantly evolve with DLC. Maybe I am talking crap :)


(*EDIT*)

I guess it makes more financial sense packaging and selling as GT6 rather than adding through DLC over a period of time rather selling a complete game.. I would imagine adding DLC over a period of time would never be as profitable as a new physical release labelled GT6.

I guess although KY has not mentioned, we will have some DLC with GT5 and a full GT6 release. Best of both worlds.
 
Last edited:
Maybe! :p It's definitely uncharted territory, so who knows! I just hope they don't mess it up...

The main problem with DLC is that when you buy the game, the disc only has the initial stuff on it.

I would love a TT2, though I think a smaller team worked on that whilst the rest were prototyping the PS3 code etc. It's mostly a case of adding content to an existing infrastructure, with the exception of the handling model (which may end up of the best in the industry for motorcycles!)

Maybe that's what GT6 will be? A second disc release that can be integrated into GT5...?
 
As much as I would want a GT6, in all honesty I'm hoping that PD move onto a Tourist Trophy 2 instead. The fact that kaz is enthusiastic about another TT game also make hope its their next project.


I am hoping for TT2 to come as DLC to be added to GT5. I think just maybe we might have at least one bike added to GT5. I hope!!!
 
Use DLC to beef up a game on a platform - one GT per platform is the way to go, so the community is not fractured!


It's ironic that DLC if often blamed for fracturing a community... when something must be had by all parties in a group, it starts breaking down the commmunity into chunks of haves and have nots. For every DLC option, the community gets broken down that much more.

Think about it... with only 4 DLC tracks you have these categories:

Has only original
Has DLC 1
Has DLC 1 and 2
Has DLC 1 2 and 3
Has DLC 1 2 3 and 4
Has DLC 1 and 3
Has DLC 1 3 and 4
Has DLC 3 and 4
Has DLC 2 and 3
Has DLC 2 3 and 4
Has DLC 3 and 4
Has DLC 2 and 4
Has DLC 1 and 4
Has DLC 2
Has DLC 3
Has DLC 4

I may have repeated or missed a few but the point is if you are in groups of people matched by DLC, it doens't take much to break down the community into pretty small groups if you want to maintain any semblance of continuity of play (ie you can keep a lobby running race after race without having to split and regroup depending on who has what).

Keeping a game propped up via DLC is more challenging than many think (for many reasons, not just this).

The only way to change that is to make all DLC free... but then you run into lack of profit which is kind of necessary (ie you can't trade selling GT6 for giving away free conent as a business).
 
Shawnphillips, I read that according to the president of sony america, the PS3 will have a 10 year life span so 2014-2017 sounds highly likely for PS4

I think you don't know what "life cycle" means. Look at the ps2. It also had a 10 year life cycle, but the ps3 came out like 6 years into the cycle. Life cycle of a console isn't the time between "console a" and "console b" releases. The next gen console war is supposed to start 2012 apparently.
 
The next gen console war is supposed to start 2012 apparently.

This.

Even if Sony wanted to wait 10 years from the launch of the PS3 to release a new console that just wouldn't be an option. In the business world timing is everything and you don't want to release a new product to far from your competitors(why do you think all the car companies start selling most of their new models at the same time).

Although I wouldn't rule out a GT6 on the PS3, it would just need to be a narrow time frame in between GT5 and GT6.
 
I'm quite sure KY has said that GT6 will not take as long to develop as GT5 did.. but at a rough guess I'd say we wont see GT6 until probably late 2012 or 2013 maybe!!

By that time I imagine there could be a PS4. Because PS3 has been out since 2006 or something (please correct me if I'm wrong). So GT6 for PS4 shouldn't at this point be ruled out. It's seems fairly possible in my opinion.
 
It all depends on when GT5 comes :D with PS4 expected around 2014-2017, and GT5 getting postponed over and over again, there might onl be a few months to make Gt6 ;)
 
I believe GT6 will be released on December 22nd 2012. 3 days before Christmas and a day after "the big one", best moment I think.
 
what a thread! You guys must be so bored... just blame it on Yamauchi. :ouch:
 
And I don't think we need to be discussing 6 when 5 isn't even ready yet.

just blame it on Yamauchi. :ouch:
Don't blame it on sunshine
Don't blame it on moonlight
Don't blame it on good times
Blame it on Yamauchi
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back