* * * GT6 QUICK TUNE * * * TUNISMO APP NOW AVAILABLE FOR iOS!

United States
NorCal
oppositelock27
11491073116_7332a84980_z.jpg

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!

Tunismo, a Quick Tune based app by FlameFront Studios, is now available for Apple iOS! Check it out!

https://itunes.apple.com/app/tunismo/id914059793

http://www.tunismo.com/

screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg

screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg

------------------------------------------------

Quick Tune is back! For those of you who are familiar with the previous GT5 versions, you should find the differences relatively minimal. For the new people, I will go into a bit more detail below. Let's get started...

Spreadsheet Download Link:

New! http://www.mediafire.com/download/ti66vq4zvdtrwm6/GT6QUICKTUNE-v4.3.xls

(Old) http://www.mediafire.com/download/qrndw7qxi2i42n8/GT6QUICKTUNE-v4.2.xls

(Old) http://www.mediafire.com/download/o3ed8t0s8t8wh1a/GT6QUICKTUNE-v4.1.xls

(Old) http://www.mediafire.com/download/6tyatsi1i4ey0gn/GT6QUICKTUNE-v4.0.xls

If you're having problems opening it, try downloading OpenOffice here: http://www.openoffice.org/

Full disclosure: This tuning sheet was created using a DS3 in offline mode. I am not an expert in either tuning for steering wheels or for online mode. In fact, I might not be an expert at tuning in general. It is my hope that the built in adjustments will allow Quick Tune to be equally effective for everyone. As always, it is a work in progress, and your feedback is critical.

So, how does it work?

The Vehicle Specifications and Suspension Parameters fields should be fairly self-explanatory. You can find this information in the vehicle settings screen. Default spring rate refers to the default spring settings for the fully adjustable suspension kit.

Suspension Level is your primary suspension adjustment and is responsible for overall suspension stiffness. Increasing this value will lower the ride height and raise the spring rates, dampers, and anti-roll bars in unison. Which setting should you use? Factors to consider:
  • Weight: Heavier cars will need harder suspension than lighter cars.
  • Tires: Cars with high grip tires will need harder suspension than cars with low grip tires.
  • Aerodynamics: Cars with high downforce will need harder suspension than cars with little or no downforce.
  • Overall vehicle balance: On cars with a tendency to understeer, a softer suspension can induce enough destabilizing body roll to help rotate the car into a corner. In my testing, cars with a tendency to oversteer seem to prefer harder suspension to reduce unwanted body motion and enhance predictability. Your results may vary.
  • Road surface: Although not necessary, you may wish to use softer suspension on bumpy courses and harder suspension on smoother tracks.
Although you may enter any value between 0 and 5, it is recommended to stay between 1 and 4 for maximum compatibility. Using 0 or 5 may cause some outputs to go out of the allowed adjustment range, in which case the numbers will turn red. Default setting: 2

11491086393_48ac9d5b5a_z.jpg

Balance is for making small adjustments to the handling characteristics. New for v4.0, this has been separated into Corner Entry and Corner Exit. Entering a positive number results in more oversteer and/or less understeer, while entering a negative number results in more understeer and/or less oversteer. Altering either box will result in minor changes to ride height, spring rate, toe and aerodynamics if applicable. Rear LSD initial torque, LSD deceleration and brake bias are only affected by the entry value, while camber and AWD torque split are only affected by the exit value. Dampers, anti-roll bars, front LSD initial torque and LSD acceleration are not affected by either setting. Range is from -3 to +3. Default setting: 0

Base Camber Angle is used to increase or decrease the front and rear camber angles in unison. As GT doesn't provide us a proper tool for adjusting camber i.e. a tire pyrometer, choosing a good camber setting is very much a trial and error process. Generally speaking, a heavy car with soft suspension and soft tires will need more camber than a light car with hard suspension and hard tires. Default setting: 1.0

LSD Strength provides for various levels of LSD lock. A higher value will increase overall lock, while a lower value will decrease it. The exact effect this setting may have on how the car drives depends very much on the vehicle itself. Although you may enter any value between 1 and 6, it is recommended to stay between 1 and 4 for maximum compatibility. Using 5 or 6 may cause some outputs to go out of allowed adjustment range, in which case the numbers will turn red. Default setting: 2

11490975865_b65e6b8bf9_z.jpg

The Transmission Spread feature allows you to move the transmission gear ratios closer together or further apart. Entering a value less than 100% will result in closer ratios and entering a value greater than 100% will result in wider ratios. If you're having trouble fitting the suggested ratios into the allowable range, this feature can be used to correct this. Default setting: 100%

The Transmission Scale feature multiplies all gears by the same amount without altering the spread. The effect is similar to changing the final drive. Entering a value less than 100% will result in taller (numerically lower) ratios and entering a value greater than 100% will result in shorter (numerically higher) ratios. This feature is also useful for fitting the ratios into the allowable range. Default setting: 100%

For a complete step-by-step demonstration on fitting gear ratios and selecting a final drive, please jump to the following post:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5889327#post5889327

11491073066_aa8ccc4715_z.jpg

The Aerodynamics calculation is intended for use with race and tuner vehicles. It is not designed to work on road cars with the GT Auto wing kit. It is also intended for circuit use, and thus will result in very high downforce settings, usually the maximum allowed both front and rear. If top speed is a concern, you will want to manually adjust it to your liking.

The Power Measurement option is used to alter the expected power entry in the Vehicle Specifications field to your regional standard. You may choose between mechanical horsepower (HP), kilowatts (KW), or metric horsepower (PS). Default: HP

The Torque Measurement option is used to alter the expected torque entry in the Vehicle Specifications field to your regional standard. You may choose between kilograms force per meter (KGFM), pound feet (LB-FT), or Newton meters (NM). Default: LB-FT

Due to various forum debates about "backwards" settings I've decided to include the Invert Front/Rear Roll Resistance feature for those who subscribe to this theory. This feature has two effects. First, it flips the anti-roll bar output. Second, it reverses the effect of the balance function on spring rates. Note that this will not affect the spring rates if the balance is at 0 as they will still be extrapolated from the defaults. Enter "N" for normal or "Y" for reversed. Default setting: N

11491086453_1241d74823_z.jpg

That's it for now. Please report any bugs, problems or issues you encounter. Also, creating a tune based solely on four vehicle specifications means it will be naturally more effective on some cars than others. It helps me to know which cars it works well on and which ones it doesn't. The more specific the suggestion, the more likely I can fix it in future revisions.

Thanks,

- B

Last edited:
Many thanks for the updated version. So far so good as its producing solid base tunes for me -n my 400-450 PP cars. A good starting point for which to run with. Took me a while to understand the transmission side but its working like a champ now Thanks for doing this!

Great work, good to see this back up and running.
I use a DF Pro as well.
Will chuck this on my laptop and start using it to give feedback on how the tunes go for wheel users.

HE'S BACK!!!👍 Fine Work @oppositelock, I'll be putting a link to this thread in the United Motorsports Driving School.

Well, Sports Soft on front and Sports Hard tires on back doesn't work! Concentrating on tuning too much to notice that I
didn't have the proper equipment on my car! :guilty: DUMMY I AM!
I use a Driving Force GT. After I had noticed my tire mistake and changed them, the car drove real well with the tune
straight off the GT6 QUICK TUNE spreadsheet calculator. When using this it is somewhat like tuning yourself because a person learns terminology and what integral part has which effect. IT WOULD BE QUITE USEFUL FOR NOOBS!

Thanks Dan

So far I love it. I've used it on the '69 Camaro Z28 and the 02 Skyline R34 V-SpecII Nur and my times have improved by seconds. Using it as a base and making no fine tuning adjustments, it seems to lean toward the tight side, which it right down my alley. Using PS3 controller by the way. The only thing that confuses me right now is the camber issues with the game. Either I'm missing something or it doesn't play the same role as it did in GT5. More testing today. More cars and playing with the corner entry/exit settings. Thanks again. 👍

Thanks to both of you for the positive feedback. I agree that camber tuning is a bit hard to pin down. I've read that some people are running their best times with no camber at all, but I haven't really experimented too much with it. Also, in case someone reading this thread hasn't heard, there seems to be a glitch with the aftermarket wheels causing the rear tires to become narrower on some cars. If you're having trouble tuning an MR or FR, please make sure you have the stock wheels on.

Also, in case someone reading this thread hasn't heard, there seems to be a glitch with the aftermarket wheels causing the rear tires to become narrower on some cars. If you're having trouble tuning an MR or FR, please make sure you have the stock wheels on.

I hadn't heard that. It might explain the MR-2 I've been having trouble taming. I'll try that with stock wheels this afternoon. Thanks again!

Stupid question:

How do i use this sheet? Is it a standard setup sheet for most cars, or do i enter the values of the car i want to quick tune in the sheet

Sorry for the stupid question, but i did not quite understand it :embarrassed:

Do you have a or thought of a formula that account for track surface, say if the track is smooth to rough as is bouncy? This may fix the trouble you're having with camber.

Not sure how one would go about doing that. There doesn't seem to be any objective way to measure track roughness, first of all. I think manual adjustment of the suspension level function covers this about as well as can be expected. I also don't see a direct connection between bumps and camber. That's mostly a spring, damper and anti-roll bar issue as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure what you mean by "press to calculate", everything should automatically recalculate whenever you make or change an entry. If yours doesn't, then it's probably a compatibility issue with your spreadsheet software, try something else like Open Office. There's a link in the first post.

Quick Tune is designed for circuit racing. I don't drag race, and I'm not certain what a good drag tune would even look like, but I'm pretty sure that QT suggested suspension and LSD settings would be lousy for it. On the other hand, I'm sure someone clever could use the gear ratio calculator to their advantage.

I'm not sure what you mean by "press to calculate", everything should automatically recalculate whenever you make or change an entry. If yours doesn't, then it's probably a compatibility issue with your spreadsheet software, try something else like Open Office. There's a link in the first post.

Quick Tune is designed for circuit racing. I don't drag race, and I'm not certain what a good drag tune would even look like, but I'm pretty sure that QT suggested suspension and LSD settings would be lousy for it. On the other hand, I'm sure someone clever could use the gear ratio calculator to their advantage.
Thanks for the reply , and I got Kingsoft Office 2013 and thanks to the spreadsheet I won 7 races on gold.

Not sure how one would go about doing that. There doesn't seem to be any objective way to measure track roughness, first of all. I think manual adjustment of the suspension level function covers this about as well as can be expected. I also don't see a direct connection between bumps and camber. That's mostly a spring, damper and anti-roll bar issue as far as I can tell.

I'm about to do a cardinal sin of comparing something I'd do in FM4 using a calculator for a base tune. For a bumpy track in FM4, say Nurb GP or Norchshief (sp?) I'd decrease the ride frequency to get more mechanical grip into the suspension which would allow it to absorb more bumps (i.e. more travel, but be slower in responce) but here in GT....I have no idea how I go about doing that and what relates to what.

That's pretty cool that the Forza calculator works with ride frequencies. In order to determine these in GT we would need to know three things: spring rates, sprung mass per axle, and suspension motion ratios. Spring rates we know for sure. Sprung mass we can approximate well enough using total weight and weight distribution. Motion ratios, however, are a complete mystery. I can't prove it, but I'm almost certain that PD incorporates it somehow, mainly due to the extreme spring rate bias in some cars which seem to mirror their real life counterparts. Without this variable we are basically left stumbling around in the dark. For your purposes, using a lower suspension level value in QT is probably the best option.

true, I have no idea how the guy (slavemonkey) who made the FMTC or what black magic he invoked.....but it worked well enough to make a car in FM feel like its NOT on a ice rink most of the time.

Latest Posts

Back