GT6 - What's the point?

• Thread starter Pants
  • 136 comments
Greetings fellow Gran Turismo enthusiasts. Like you, I am a huge fan of this game, and feel that PD really hit the ball out of the park with the 5th incarnation. However, I see a lot of chatter with respect to GT6, and I'm genuinely curious; What additions to the game do you feel would warrant an entirely new release? The graphics are solid, physics are great, and the online is a blast. So as far as the fundamentals are concerned, I don't see a need for major changes. That leaves us with tracks, cars, and additional "polish". That said, what's the point of another $60 game release when we can have everything we want delivered through DLC? More specifically, shouldn't PD focus on improving GT5 and deploy changes through patches, as opposed to a fresh game? Please put some thought into your replies, and keep these two points in mind:

1. What do you want GT6 to be? Try to be specific.

2. Explain why your "ideal" GT6 cannot be achieved through DLC/patching GT5. If your ideal GT6 can be achieved by supplementing GT5, and you still insist that GT6 is necessary, explain why.

Thanks for your time.

It's pretty obvious that PD do(or at least did) not know how to make full use of PS3's potencial(Not talking about graphics). That's not something you can change via updates. You'd need to do a complete overhaul of the entire game engine, finding ways to optimize performance.

The online component has a good deal of flaws. It's certainly not bad considering that GT5(including Prolugue) was PD's first attempt at online, but there's room for improvement. A new game is a much easier way to fix the problems. GT5 had a ton of features, both old and new. Some of these features came with poor excecution. Hopefully PD will learn from those mistakes, and the end result will be a better product because of those mistakes.

A new game is also the best way to ensure profit. You have to remember that PD needs money just like any other company. There's way more profit in a new game, than there is in DLC's.

Kaz himself said he wanted two more years to complete GT5. If he takes what he has with GT5, and add another 2-3 years of developement, we could end up with the perfect racing game.

Last edited:
The graphics are solid, physics are great, and the online is a blast. So as far as the fundamentals are concerned, I don't see a need for major changes.
Because there is more to the fundamentals than just physics, graphics and online play; and I daresay it wouldn't be difficult to find people who take serious issue with at least one of those things anyway. Usually the last one.

That said, what's the point of another $60 game release when we can have everything we want delivered through DLC?
What's the point of being nickel and dimed with DLC when you can just have a new game with far more content for far less?

More specifically, shouldn't PD focus on improving GT5 and deploy changes through patches, as opposed to a fresh game?
Because "fresh" is the key word in that sentence.

What do you want GT6 to be? Try to be specific.
I want GT6 to be the sequel to GT4 that GT5 should have been. I don't want a bunch of poor game design decisions. I don't want a a game with (if PD is lucky) 1/5th the "content" of GT4 padded out to be just as long. I don't want a game with a bunch of restrictions placed on how you play it just because PD wanted to funnel you along rather than making any attempt to actually justify them. I don't want a game that PD strings along with occasional updates, focusing on things no one cares about but ignoring issues that people have had from day one (or, worse, changing fundamental portions of the game without warning anyone or even telling when they are doing it).

2. Explain why your "ideal" GT6 cannot be achieved through DLC/patching GT5.
Because PD have made it clear time and time again that there is fundamental baggage that GT5 is carrying that they refuse to get rid of, probably because they refuse to acknowledge as the baggage that it is. The terribly structured GT Life mode, for example, that they have had a year and a half to fix but haven't even touched. Not even to fix glitches and screwups. The joke of a paint system, which is so absurd in its implementation that it doesn't even have a preview mode for it's one-time-use paint colors (some of which PD had the gall to charge for). The simplification of options given to the player in order to pander to a wider audience, without bothering to make the interface any more useable, so it basically just makes things worse for everyone.

So if PD starting from scratch is what is required for them to get away from GT5's nonsense, since to this point they have either just put bandaids on things or outright ignored them, then I for one hope to have GT6 as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Kinda like someone saying why release GT2/GT4 when you can just buy add-ons for GT1/GT3.

If they don't release GT6, they can just continually update GT5 with graphics and physics updates. Is that what you're saying? Because then GT as a series would totally lose it's point. Of course GT6 is necessary, although I don't see it coming anytime soon.

It's complicated, because PD have to update their physics and graphics engine, their licenses with car manufacturer and such. Basically, if their license with, say Ferrari, expire, they will kinda have to remove all Ferraris from GT5 if GT5 will be supported the way stated above, if GT6 is never released. Ok, maybe that's not how it works, but you get what I mean.

And if Sony release PS4, how will they support the series without GT6? GT5 port?

their licenses with car manufacturer and such. Basically, if their license with, say Ferrari, expire, they will kinda have to remove all Ferraris from GT5

Uhm... Licens agreements don't expire. A game developer might lose it's exclusive license agreement with a manufacturer, but it will never be told to remove a car from the game. Afterall, they paid to have the car included.

Uhm... Licens agreements don't expire. A game developer might lose it's exclusive license agreement with a manufacturer, but it will never be told to remove a car from the game. Afterall, they paid to have the car included.

Well, yeah, I don't get license agreements very well.......

So basically you want GT to become like a MMORPG game that's only updated, patched and has expansion packs? You want us to be playing the same base game in 5 years time?

We need a new game because we need a fresh start with a completely new A-Spec system and complete overhauls of many other areas.

I want a sequel to gt4.. a game that doesn't need online to be great. For example: having a solid career mode, all new cars, cool concept cars, the ability to sell the cars you own (I have the ability to sell about 30 of the 460 cars I own..), a used car dealer with premium cars (because I don't need 2 different XJR-9's) and no more FREAKING DUPLICATES!! I was in a race yesterday with a cosmo sport, a 110a, and a 110b, all in a row.. and I have a Mazda 3 touring car and an atenza touring car... I don't want either of them and i can't sell them. That is why PD should make gt6.

Some people that play this game don't have online. Although in this age that now is a minority.

Every single one of the aspects above are good, but not complete/perfect. GT6 will try and improve and complete on everything GT5 didn't.

I'm guessing new A Spec and B Spec will be the vital part of GT6 and also a new and improved version of nearly everything GT5 had and more.

Who knows, we may even get all of our DLC wishes that aren't about cars, like extra and wider range of modifications or even an online roaming city.

well the point is... what can they restrict in gt6 that will make it even worse than than gt5... no car trading period?? only able to trade on the third sunday each month?

It's pretty obvious that PD do(or at least did) not know how to make full use of PS3's potencial(Not talking about graphics). That's not something you can change via updates. You'd need to do a complete overhaul of the entire game engine, finding ways to optimize performance.

This seems fair, and I don't know enough about coding to refute that point. In what ways do you feel that PD failed to fully utilize the PS3's hardware? The graphics and physics seem fantastic. Granted, there are some framerate issues here and there.

The online component has a good deal of flaws. It's certainly not bad considering that GT5(including Prolugue) was PD's first attempt at online, but there's room for improvement. A new game is a much easier way to fix the problems. GT5 had a ton of features, both old and new. Some of these features came with poor excecution. Hopefully PD will learn from those mistakes, and the end result will be a better product because of those mistakes.

Can you be more specific? I play online exclusively, and with the exception of a few conveniency issues, I don't feel that online mode requires major overhaul. Just more options for the host and bug fixes here and there.

A new game is also the best way to ensure profit. You have to remember that PD needs money just like any other company. There's way more profit in a new game, than there is in DLC's.

Sure, but I was wondering why fans are calling for GT6. It's no question that a new $60 game every few years is more lucrative for the developer.

Because there is more to the fundamentals than just physics, graphics and online play; and I daresay it wouldn't be difficult to find people who take serious issue with at least one of those things anyway. Usually the last one.

Please be specific.

I want GT6 to be the sequel to GT4 that GT5 should have been. I don't want a bunch of poor game design decisions. I don't want a a game with (if PD is lucky) 1/5th the "content" of GT4 padded out to be just as long. I don't want a game with a bunch of restrictions placed on how you play it just because PD wanted to funnel you along rather than making any attempt to actually justify them. I don't want a game that PD strings along with occasional updates, focusing on things no one cares about but ignoring issues that people have had from day one (or, worse, changing fundamental portions of the game without warning anyone or even telling when they are doing it).

Not a single specific criticism besides lack of content, which can be patched in. What are the poor game design decisions? What gameplay restrictions do you object to? What issues has PD been ignoring from day 1? What have they fundamentally changed for the worse without warning?

Because PD have made it clear time and time again that there is fundamental baggage that GT5 is carrying that they refuse to get rid of, probably because they refuse to acknowledge as the baggage that it is. The terribly structured GT Life mode, for example, that they have had a year and a half to fix but haven't even touched. Not even to fix glitches and screwups. The joke of a paint system, which is so absurd in its implementation that it doesn't even have a preview mode for it's one-time-use paint colors (some of which PD had the gall to charge for). The simplification of options given to the player in order to pander to a wider audience, without bothering to make the interface any more useable, so it basically just makes things worse for everyone.

What is this fundamental baggage you speak of? How could the structure of GT Life be improved? Your UI and paint complains are valid, but can be easily patched.

Kinda like someone saying why release GT2/GT4 when you can just buy add-ons for GT1/GT3.

The difference here is the proliferation of broadband internet access, and dynamic HDD installed code. Very few people had their PS2s hooked up to the internet, and you can't patch a DVD-R.

If they don't release GT6, they can just continually update GT5 with graphics and physics updates. Is that what you're saying? Because then GT as a series would totally lose it's point. Of course GT6 is necessary, although I don't see it coming anytime soon.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Why would GT lose its soul without a numerical update? It's arbitrary.

And if Sony release PS4, how will they support the series without GT6? GT5 port?

The launch of the PS4 would be a great time to release GT6, since the updated hardware would certainly merit a massive overhaul. Although I didn't specify, this thread is asking why GT6 on the PS3 is necessary.

So basically you want GT to become like a MMORPG game that's only updated, patched and has expansion packs? You want us to be playing the same base game in 5 years time?

Yes, why not? And what is it about the "base game" that cannot be changed sufficiently to your liking?

We need a new game because we need a fresh start with a completely new A-Spec system and complete overhauls of many other areas.

What would you like to see in an A-Spec system? What "other areas" need overhauls, and how?

I want a sequel to gt4.. a game that doesn't need online to be great. For example: having a solid career mode, all new cars, cool concept cars, the ability to sell the cars you own (I have the ability to sell about 30 of the 460 cars I own..), a used car dealer with premium cars (because I don't need 2 different XJR-9's) and no more FREAKING DUPLICATES!! I was in a race yesterday with a cosmo sport, a 110a, and a 110b, all in a row.. and I have a Mazda 3 touring car and an atenza touring car... I don't want either of them and i can't sell them. That is why PD should make gt6.

Is Mankala ran the show, how would you do career mode? Could Mankala's career mode be patched in to GT5? More cars, changes to the sell system, and changes to the UCD can be fixed via patch.

Some people that play this game don't have online. Although in this age that now is a minority.

True, although PD could continuously update the retail BD, and offer patch downloads via a website to be downloaded and installed via USB drive.

Last edited:
This seems fair, and I don't know enough about coding to refute that point. In what ways do you feel that PD failed to fully utilize the PS3's hardware? The graphics and physics seem fantastic. Granted, there are some framerate issues here and there.
Regrading graphics:
-blocky shadows
-screen tear
-framerate drops

Regarding physics:
-poor/basic tire model
-poor damage model
-the fact that cars aren't subject to torque steer
-the fact that the back of RWD cars don't sway from side to side during hard acceleration.
Can you be more specific? I play online exclusively, and with the exception of a few conveniency issues, I don't feel that online mode requires major overhaul. Just more options for the host and bug fixes here and there.
Compared with many other racing games, the online mode for GT5 is very, very basic.
Not a single specific criticism besides lack of content, which can be patched in. What are the poor game design decisions? What gameplay restrictions do you object to? What issues has PD been ignoring from day 1? What have they fundamentally changed for the worse without warning?
Poor game design decisions:
-Standard cars
-"Standard" tracks

...and the fact that GT5 is pretty boring, given that PD has been using the same formula for its GT games since GT1.

It's not the user/customer who will decide if/when GT6 will be released. And the point of releasing it is to make money.

Since the release is still pretty far in the future, chances are Sony will release new hardware first. So, one reason to release a new version is to be compatible with the new platform.

A-Spec as it is now is dire. It needs completely overhauling, without the stupid XP/level system and lots more races. The old fashioned system needs to go and all the old races need to go. You're probably going to claim that can be patched in but how can I start a new career with a garage full of cars and money etc? If they patched in a completely new single player game am I supposed to delete everything I have so I can start again? What about people buying the game new? Are they supposed to play the 'old' GT5 A-Spec then start on the new version?

Another note is that not everyone has a large HDD on their PS3 or if they do it's getting full with other things. If they add say 20GB worth of new content instead of adding that onto a Blu Ray disc for GT6 what are people going to do if they haven't enough space? Buy a new HDD? On top of broadband internet costs downloading and the cost of the DLC itself all of this stuff it's all getting rather pricey. It'd be much better and easier to buy a £40 game.

I just want an Aston Martin DBR9 or V12 racing car :(. That's all, I wouldn't drive another car ever again if either of those we're implemented.

I want the physics engine rebuilt from the ground up, a livery editor, a real track editor, and a car designer mode. I'd also like a mode for people who are purely interested in driving, ie bypassing the unnecessary and time consuming GT Mode. We should be able to open the box and go straight to online (or vs AI in a race completely defined by the player) racing whatever we want.

To be honest, I think that GT5 had a lot more potential, but it was not tapped by PD. Part of the reason for this is probably because GT sells as it is, so they don't need to put that much more effort into it than they already do. Not to say that I hate the game, I actually like it a lot, but I want PD to do more with it. At this point I think salvaging GT5 is impossible, what I want basically constitutes a whole new game.

The formula works and that's what makes it GRAN TURISMO.

All I want them to sort out is the online gaming side of things so there's no dc's or blackscreens and lobby's that can handle 16 drivers, I don't know maybe they need to upgrade there servers or something.

@OP basic flaw to your argument here. You say everyone's point you agree with could be fixed via patches/updates/DLC, the flaw in your argument is that with the number and range of things that people want fixed/changed/improved/added it reaches a point where both the manufacturer (Polyphony Digital in this case) and the consumer (all us GT fans) are better served by a whole new game than trying to Frankenstien the current game. Also with the cost of DLC and/or game add ons you'll end up paying as much or more than you would for a whole new game.

With the above being said I truly hope that PD will get the time they need to put together a solid new game that won't require the ton of patches that GT5 has needed to get to its current state. While inevitably a few flaws will manage to slip through development undetected there shouldn't be the vast host of issues we've seen with GT5 over the last year.

Finally people aren't asking that GT5 be turned into a sports simulation game that comes out with its new edition every year. What they are seeking is the GT game they had been promised and expected with GT5.

Will PD be able to please everyone with their next game? No, but they can at least give us, the fans who support them, a quality product that isn't largely just a rehash of previous games content and actually delivers on their promises.

The entire progress model of A-Spec and B-Spec is broken. You can see what was attempted (not allowing us access to the more difficult series until the beginner levels are complete), but tying them to pretty much arbitrary XP levels forces most players on a very linear progression through the game. I'm overlooking Seasonals for XP lumps because quite frankly, they're band-aids to minimalize the otherwise awful system. The two final endurance races being the best example, of course - how many times are you expected to run a 24H race before finally being able to run the last one, again? This was especially disappointing to those of us who've grown up with the series, since the previous iterations worked quite a lot better than this does.

That could conceivably be patched - really, just about anything could be - but the question is why? Console gamers, on average, behave far different from PC gamers. While WoW has been incredibly successful over the years, it'd be simplifying if you narrowed the reason down to it's ever-improving builds. That game has so many community aspects, something which GT is lacking, not only in comparison to MMORPG's, but even against other racing games. We got leaderboards... months after release, and limited to Drift Trials and Time Trials, once a month, roughly. Auction House? Store Front? Nope, just a "Gift" feature that's since become very limited. Including any of those sorts of features would require quite a lot of work. Same with a livery system.

Doing serious work to the physics engine also raises its own sets of issues: the grip levels have been subtly altered in one of the more recent patches, as example, and the drag racing community has been affected by it, not being able to hit their previous bests (and these are people who excel in consistency, typically having repeatable Route X runs down to the thousandths).

Exorcet brings up another good point: Arcade Mode is in serious need of a re-think, from the ground up. GT4's model was pretty good - offer a large swathe of models from the get-go, and unlock stock versions of cars as they're acquired in GT Mode - but I'm now of the mind that Arcade Mode really should offer the entire lineup off the bat. You have no tuning, of course, but I don't think those who just want to test drive, or not devote months to a broken career approximation, should be left with a fraction of the game. You can make the argument that they haven't "worked" for the access to the cars - but it's still primarily a game, and only having access to the stock versions of cars would be enough incentive to jump into the career for those willing to invest more time.

Lastly, and surely most contentiously: the physics need a rebuild. It's becoming increasingly apparent that Kaz and the gang are leaving too much to chance with regards to the tire model, and while the game does a damn good job of seeming realistic considering, this is where they will make the biggest strides in continuing on the quest for realism. The myriad options and variables to explore leave this best suited to an entirely new game - patching it in could (should) result in a general re-think of the entire tire structure in the game, including the current range of compounds. Nevermind the license times, PP system, AI opponent calculations, etc etc...

It might make it Gran Turismo, but now, it's far outdated.

Exactly. I don't know how many more times I can take the sunday cup or the Grand Valley Endurance race. Actually I do, none. If GT6 has the same lame A-Spec mode with even the same events that have always been there I won't be buying it.

They need a blank slate with new ideas. Please don't mistake what I'm about to say but look at Forza and how their career mode has evolved over the games. I'm not saying it's perfect and GT should copy them, I'm just saying they've moved it on with each game, for better or for worse. PD haven't, they've just said "Oh well it was ok in the last game, it's ok in this one". It's not.

Regrading graphics:
-blocky shadows
-screen tear
-framerate drops

Regarding physics:
-poor/basic tire model
-poor damage model
-the fact that cars aren't subject to torque steer
-the fact that the back of RWD cars don't sway from side to side during hard acceleration.

Valid on all points except the last (IMO). I play with a G25 wheel and no aids, keeping a poweful RWD vehicle pointed straight out of a corner is a battle. Side to side sway certainly exists, and it's extremely difficult to recover from with a FFB wheel.

Poor game design decisions:
-Standard cars
-"Standard" tracks

...and the fact that GT5 is pretty boring, given that PD has been using the same formula for its GT games since GT1.

Cars and tracks are patchable content issues. The boring gameplay is formulaic GT, it's always been a grind, not defending it, but do you expect that to change in GT6? If yes, what do you hope to see?

Since the release is still pretty far in the future, chances are Sony will release new hardware first. So, one reason to release a new version is to be compatible with the new platform.

I fully agree that with new hardware, we should get a "new" (numerically) GT.

You're probably going to claim that can be patched in but how can I start a new career with a garage full of cars and money etc? If they patched in a completely new single player game am I supposed to delete everything I have so I can start again? What about people buying the game new? Are they supposed to play the 'old' GT5 A-Spec then start on the new version?

Perhaps PD can add a "career mode" that co-exists with the current A-spec game. Something that has you driving for different race teams in a hierarchy, meaning you won't be driving the cars you have in your garage.

I want the physics engine rebuilt from the ground up, a livery editor, a real track editor, and a car designer mode. I'd also like a mode for people who are purely interested in driving, ie bypassing the unnecessary and time consuming GT Mode. We should be able to open the box and go straight to online (or vs AI in a race completely defined by the player) racing whatever we want.

To be honest, I think that GT5 had a lot more potential, but it was not tapped by PD. Part of the reason for this is probably because GT sells as it is, so they don't need to put that much more effort into it than they already do. Not to say that I hate the game, I actually like it a lot, but I want PD to do more with it. At this point I think salvaging GT5 is impossible, what I want basically constitutes a whole new game.

In what ways do you feel the physics engine should be improved? You don't feel a livery and track editor could be patched in? I agree that there should be a way to bypass the grind.

The formula works and that's what makes it GRAN TURISMO.

All I want them to sort out is the online gaming side of things so there's no dc's or blackscreens and lobby's that can handle 16 drivers, I don't know maybe they need to upgrade there servers or something.

Absolutely agree. I'm typing this as my PS3 is restarting from an online mode blackscreen. But these are bug fixes that should be fixed with a patch, not a new release.

What are the poor game design decisions?
Excessively linear level/experience progression system. Boring race events with poor AI and poor AI car selection, all generally on the same handful of tracks to boot. Standard cars and the way they are implemented into the game. Very poorly balanced in-game economy, with the inability to sell any cars over an arbitrary value. Photomode options restrictions.

What gameplay restrictions do you object to?
Photomode restrictions. Gift restrictions. Restrictions related to certain cars (ie. Ferrari F1s). Restrictions related to the resale of cars. Inability to use certain tracks in any mode until you complete certain events in GT Life. Inability to even do licence tests until you buy a car, which completely destroys one of the old benefits of the older games. The credit limit.

Again, off the top of my head.

What issues has PD been ignoring from day 1?
Excessively linear level/experience progression system. Boring race events with poor AI and poor AI car selection, all generally on the same handful of tracks to boot. Standard cars and the way they are implemented into the game. Very poorly balanced in-game economy, with the inability to sell any cars over an arbitrary value. Photomode options restrictions. Incorrect car specifications/driving characteristics (in one way or another) for probably a quarter of the cars in the game (if not more). Glitches with certain cars that have been basically present since the beginning.

What have they fundamentally changed for the worse without warning?
Dynamic chase cam, which was such a poorly thought out and ridiculous change that they didn't tell anyone about that it was making people physically sick when they were using it.

Changes to the way the FFB system, greatly weakening the FFB effects for some wheels.

Those are both off the top of my head.

What is this fundamental baggage you speak of? How could the structure of GT Life be improved?
Eliminate the excessively linear level/experience progression system and return to the system used in GT4, if not the one from GT2 (or an even better one). Create better race events with actual care put into the AI car selection rather than just throwing crap at the wall; and actually use some of those tracks beyond Cape Ring, Tsukuba and Monza. Redo the UCD so cars you need for events are readily available in some way, and increase the UCD selection so it isn't as problematic. Get rid of the idiotic restrictions put on the in-game economy for GT5, and lower car prices back down to sane levels.

Really, it's like you've never even played GT5.

Not a single specific criticism besides lack of content, which can be patched in.
Your UI and paint complains are valid, but can be easily patched.
It's been nearly two years. They aren't going to fix the numerous problems with the paint system (as if the DLC paints didn't make that obvious enough). They aren't going to fix the problems with the UI. They aren't going to add to the career mode, and they certainly aren't going to throw it out and restructure it from scratch like they need to. They aren't going to go through and rebalance the in-game economy. They probably aren't even going to fix all of the cars with screwed up performance.

And unless you have some reason beyond hope for hope's sake for thinking that they will do any of those things for GT5, there is no reason to not want GT6 to come out so they have to fix these things; as well as add all those other industry things that they've so far ignored.

Last edited:
Why are you so dead set against GT6 on the PS3? How much are you willing to pay in DLC for all the content we've said they should add to GT6? Because if it's more than the price of a new game I'm puzzled as to why you'd prefer that approach.

You also conveniently removed the part of my message in your quote that mentioned the large problems with implementing so much content as DLC to GT5.

Valid on all points except the last (IMO). I play with a G25 wheel and no aids, keeping a poweful RWD vehicle pointed straight out of a corner is a battle. Side to side sway certainly exists, and it's extremely difficult to recover from with a FFB wheel.
As in, from a dead stop, and you accelerate, the car will stay straight and true.

In GT5 (From Scaff):

In real life:

Notice the "swaying" from side to side. (I know there is a term for this, but I forgot it all of a sudden.)

Adding to the problem with physics, there is definitely something wrong with the physics when you're driving under 5 km/h.

...snip...
Totally agree with this post.

Whenever we get DLC, I play GT5 for a few hours… and then I turn it off, and fire up GT1/2/3/4, or a F1 or MotoGP game. There are a couple of good races, but most of those are 4hrs+ long, and require some planning before starting them (I don’t like using the suspend feature unless its saving me from leaving the PS3 on overnight. (rural area, power cuts:ouch:)

In what ways do you feel the physics engine should be improved? You don't feel a livery and track editor could be patched in? I agree that there should be a way to bypass the grind.

The physics could use some help just about everywhere, we even have people debating whether or not the suspension tuning is backwards after playing the game for over a year.

However, the biggest issues with the existing physics are aerodynamics, damage, and tire modelling (as mentioned by slip stream). Wings do not behave realistically. I don't expect the PS3 to run CFD in real time, but at the very least, we should a realistic trade off between downforce and drag so that tuning isn't about setting your wings to max angles. Slipstreaming was updated after being blatantly wrong for years, but now that the strength of the effect has been improved, secondary factors like turbulence and loss of lift/downforce should be added. Along with this, cars should have accurate downforce magnitudes and this information should be displayed in real units that people can understand. 1950's race cars should not be glued to the road by two tons of downward pressure, and modern LMP's should have more options than "rear = 70" (70 what?).

Damage was recently added fine, but it was pretty limited. Visually, nothing really happens unless you drive into a bomb. Mechanical damage is extremely simplistic (and completely absent outside of online), and even if you set up or enter a very long race, your pit stop options consist of one thing - magic damage repair over a constant span of time.

Slipstream covered tires, they have constant grip, there is no weather modeling except for rain (temperature is extremely important), tire damage/wear seems to be the same everywhere on the tire we can't change things like tire pressure. For a game that calls itself a simulator that has gone through more than 5 iterations, it's a bit disappointing.

A livery editor and track editor could be patched in, but I feel that they would be better spent on a new game at this point, plus. Especially since coding them into a game that was not meant to have them could prove difficult.

Outside of all of these things, there are also some other factors, like GT's very poor simulation of racing itself. A racing game without qualification is kind of crazy. Also, we have Super GT and NASCAR, but none of their rules. Many races have completely mismatched cars in direct competition and, the tuning system is left underutilized because we don't have to take a humble road car and build it to a certain spec. Pretty much, it's either stock or you get to super tune your car. On top of that, you don't know what you'll be racing against so getting a good race becomes trial and error.

Gran Turismo has really been slow to evolve. The problem is, it's been the same game for too long and it has not tried to adapt or borrow from others.

Gran Turismo has really been slow to evolve. The problem is, it's been the same game for too long and it has not tried to adapt or borrow from others.

This is what GT needs to start doing at least. Get or be inspired by others work, they give you good ideas and us too to share to you. But I really really REALLY want GT6 to get rid of the XP/level system, theres no need for it, other then stopping others from getting the cars they really want. I like the old GT's better for not having that.

But GT6 should also remove this whole A-spec and B-spec thing as well, and bring back driving missions. It's called "the real driving simulator" isn't it? And the players are the ones who are driving and racing aren't they?

And also, events like Super GT, WRC, NASCAR, and Kart racing needs to be more evolved in the game. So that means. Please don't put special events, didn't like that idea at all because they made the events so minimum, which was sad. Should make "huge" list of events for different types of "cars, drivetrains, region events," you know, something like that. And add back brake upgrades...

Edit:
And yeah, ummm. Are we EVER gonna see the old chase cam from the old GT's again? GT1 had the option to go from loose, or stiff.

Last edited:
The things I'd like to be better in a GT6 can mostly be solved either by...

a) better hardware (for shadows, more cars on track, faster loading times), or...

b) added/better functionality (e.g. race builder offline, realistic tyre wear, etc.)

So, I think it actually doesn't make sense to release GT6 for the PS3, because a) cannot be achieved. And for b) they don't need to make a new game.

Back