GT6 - What's the point?

• Thread starter Pants
  • 136 comments
Cloud Consoles?

Not anytime soon in my view. That, I would imagine, requires a much better Broadband infrastructure than most of the world can manage at the moment.

I'd say 5 more years before the market is ready for Cloud Consoles from major manufacturers.

Blood*Specter
Number one, we won't be buying another $60.00 disc. We will be buying time to participate on servers to race and/or tune and practice. Just my opinion but feel strongly that disc is going away very soon.

Some of us don't have the fastest Internet connections in the world, so I will rue the day this happens. Not to mention people who don't even have access to the Internet will be left out in the cold.

Number one, we won't be buying another $60.00 disc. We will be buying time to participate on servers to race and/or tune and practice. Just my opinion but feel strongly that disc is going away very soon.
Server-side gaming is at least another console cycle away (if it ever actually happens). Probably two, since in many ways internet connectivity is regressing (usage limits, bandwidth caps, tiered service plans and increasing costs) rather than getting in a better position to support it.

Plus, as Netflix customers were shocked to discover, when more and more people turn to internet services instead of traditional outlets the costs of those services have to increase (for a variety of reasons) to compensate.

Cloud Consoles?

Not anytime soon in my view. That, I would imagine, requires a much better Broadband infrastructure than most of the world can manage at the moment.

I'd say 5 more years before the market is ready for Cloud Consoles from major manufacturers.

There's a whole load of legal issues that need sorting, too, to do with the distinction between "products" and "services", specifically termination circumstances and lifespan of individual games (or, rather, of the "licence" to play said games.)

Blood*Specter

I won't, not with 1-2 mb/s max. I downloaded Shift 2 off PSN and it took me 30 HOURS. I will rue the day when I have to download something as big as GT6/7/8 off the Internet.

I won't, not with 1-2 mb/s max. I downloaded Shift 2 off PSN and it took me 30 HOURS. I will rue the day when I have to download something as big as GT6/7/8 off the Internet.

Same, I hope discs do not go away,

really, I downloaded Infamous, 24 hours!

1. GT6 needs a proper, full career system - GT5's was far too short and there was very little else to do once it was finished. At least GT2 had manufacturer specific events and an Event Generator to keep you busy. There is a chance it could be patched in, but I believe the changes that need to be made (e.g. the removal of the XP system) would be too major to streamline into the existing system.

2. A significant improvement in sound quality. Most current sounds are too quiet, too synthesized, or just entirely wrong. Engines must sound louder, more accurate, and the gear changes less abrupt. The sound must be less clean and artificial. This couldn't be patched in, as the problems with sound design are inherent to the game engine and the recording techniques - a very significant amount of data would need to be replaced added - too much for a simple patch.

3. Better damage. The damage was very poor in GT5. Most cars seem to bend, warp, or smudge in collisions, but parts aren't lost, glass doesn't shatter, and roll-over effects are very poor. The detail should be improved, detachable parts should be added and a more convincing body deformation system should be added. Like with the sound, you'd never be able to patch this much data in.

4. AI. AI is very, very poor. It's not as bad as it used to be, but has been consistently a big problem with the GT series. Considering it's a racing series, the opponents are a big part of the game, yet the developers seem to consistently neglect this area. Opponents are too timid, too slow, and almost completely unaware of the fact they are in a race - it's more like they're competing in a time trial simultaneously. They need to be more aggressive, more determined (e.g. overtaking and blocking) and more aware of each other. It seems like the challenge comes from how far back you start and whether you can reach the front in time, rather than fighting opponents for position. Again, the flaws run too deep to be fixed with patching the existing design - the AI behaviour needs to be completely redesigned.

1. Definitely want a huge Career Mode.

2. Not chuffed about sound at all, sorry. I'm fine with GT5's SQ.

3. Damage really should be fixed.

4. I haven't been impressed with any racer's A.I. It could stand a tweak, but awful? Show me a racer with good A.I.

Exactly. I don't know how many more times I can take the sunday cup or the Grand Valley Endurance race. Actually I do, none. If GT6 has the same lame A-Spec mode with even the same events that have always been there I won't be buying it.

They need a blank slate with new ideas. Please don't mistake what I'm about to say but look at Forza and how their career mode has evolved over the games. I'm not saying it's perfect and GT should copy them, I'm just saying they've moved it on with each game, for better or for worse. PD haven't, they've just said "Oh well it was ok in the last game, it's ok in this one". It's not.
Might as well extend that to real-life racing as well. They've done the 24 hours of Le Mans 80 times! Enough already, it's getting really mundane. Also, NASCAR should stop running the Daytona 500 and F1 needs to ditch the Italian Grand Prix. It's all old hat. We need new ideas and evolution.

Right?

That said, what's the point of another $60 game release when we can have everything we want delivered through DLC? More specifically, shouldn't PD focus on improving GT5 and deploy changes through patches, as opposed to a fresh game?

Two things.

1. We'd be paying more than the actual cost of GT6.
2. You're not going to get better graphics and physics through DLC. That's a waste of time, money and consumes plenty of hard drive space.

Wow streaming games, can't wait to read the EULA, so basically there will be a time we own nothing and just "rent". They will throw in the "you can't sue us" like we have now, and that they can terminate anything at anytime. ("-__-)

As for the TC, I always wondered where Kaz said GT6 would be a disc release (most likely will be) but didn't PD say with GT5 that the "base" had been created?, so that could've given TC the reason for his DLC arguments, but I'm just speculating.

Back