GT6 - What's the point?

• Thread starter Pants
  • 136 comments
I will tell you why GT6 will not be out on the PS3 and why we will not get any significant enhancements to GT5 via patch or anything else. We will have to start with a little primer on horsepower, not the horsepower under the hood of our cars, but the horsepower under the hood of our game system.
The PS3 was released in November of 2006, just shy of 6 years ago. Moores law states that computing power will double every 18 months, the past few decades this has indeed been the case. Which means that processing power has multiplied 8 times since the PS3 came out. Kaz has stated that GT5 has already pushed the current system as is. How do you expect we can get even more out of it if it is pushed to its limits now?
If all you want is more cars and more tracks, sure, we can have all the "more of the same" he wants to give us with the current system. If what we want is more and better, better physics, graphics, damage, sounds etc. we are going to need more and better under the hood of our game system, simple as that.

MSTER232
If it's not going to be out on the PS3, then whate date/month has Sony announced that the PS4 will be released? I really hope I don't have to buy a new wheeland I will have to sell my PS3 before the PS4 comes out or it will be worth nothing.
I really don't see a way that current gen wheels won't work with the next Playstation. It would be a huge mistake to block them and I don't think Sony is that stupid. Either way not something that I would be worried about.
SimonK

KY says a lot of things that don't come true. When I click on that link it doesn't have the quote you provided?

KY says a lot of things that don't come true. When I click on that link it doesn't have the quote you provided?

I saw that quote elsewhere... it isn't on the link. But time will tell if Kaz is telling lies :crazy: .

MSTER232
I saw that quote elsewhere... it isn't on the link. But time will tell if Kaz is telling lies :crazy: .

But really the quote isn't even saying anything. It doesn't mention a system and it doesn't give a true time frame. As long as it comes before Nov 2015 on either PS3 or PS4 then technically what he said is correct. But I think we've all learned to not believe anything said about future GT releases until we see the game on a store shelf.

I will tell you why GT6 will not be out on the PS3 and why we will not get any significant enhancements to GT5 via patch or anything else. We will have to start with a little primer on horsepower, not the horsepower under the hood of our cars, but the horsepower under the hood of our game system.
The PS3 was released in November of 2006, just shy of 6 years ago. Moores law states that computing power will double every 18 months, the past few decades this has indeed been the case. Which means that processing power has multiplied 8 times since the PS3 came out. Kaz has stated that GT5 has already pushed the current system as is. How do you expect we can get even more out of it if it is pushed to its limits now?
If all you want is more cars and more tracks, sure, we can have all the "more of the same" he wants to give us with the current system. If what we want is more and better, better physics, graphics, damage, sounds etc. we are going to need more and better under the hood of our game system, simple as that.

I'm not going to repeat myself for the millionth time but suffice to say there is plenty PD can do with GT on the PS3 which have nothing to do with system limitations.

I really don't see a way that current gen wheels won't work with the next Playstation. It would be a huge mistake to block them and I don't think Sony is that stupid. Either way not something that I would be worried about.

No it's from other articles, just google the quote. Yes KY says a lot of things that don't happen or change but my point was there is nothing supporting GT6 on PS4 except guessing but statements like that support it being on PS3.

But really the quote isn't even saying anything. It doesn't mention a system and it doesn't give a true time frame. As long as it comes before Nov 2015 on either PS3 or PS4 then technically what he said is correct. But I think we've all learned to not believe anything said about future GT releases until we see the game on a store shelf.

He was clearly suggesting that GT6 wouldn't be starting like with a whole new operating system, I assume likening it to Windows. If GT5 was Windows 7, GT6 wouldn't be Windows 8 but rather additions to Windows 7, a service pack if you like.

SimonK
He was clearly suggesting that GT6 wouldn't be starting like with a whole new operating system, I assume likening it to Windows. If GT5 was Windows 7, GT6 wouldn't be Windows 8 but rather additions to Windows 7, a service pack if you like.

I agree with you, GT6 will most likely be on PS3 and build on the GT5 engine. But really until the game is formally announced we are all just speculating. In another article he said the premium cars were built with the next console in mind. I hope he just meant so they don't get left with their pants down again like with GT5 standards but you never know, they may be moving past the PS3 and on to the next thing. I'm sure Sony has given PD developmental kits by now and if PS4 does happen to come out 2014 it also wouldn't surprise me if Sony pressures PD to have their flagship appear soon after it releases. It could explain why PD went from saying early on there would be no DLC to suddenly offering a pack every couple of months starting almost a year after release.

Game design and optimization.

GT5 may have pushed the PS3 to its limits, but it could be poor coding as much as anything else. Fixing blatant errors in physics or correctly overly simplified models shouldn't require a whole new system either.

I agree with you, GT6 will most likely be on PS3 and build on the GT5 engine. But really until the game is formally announced we are all just speculating. In another article he said the premium cars were built with the next console in mind. I hope he just meant so they don't get left with their pants down again like with GT5 standards but you never know, they may be moving past the PS3 and on to the next thing. I'm sure Sony has given PD developmental kits by now and if PS4 does happen to come out 2014 it also wouldn't surprise me if Sony pressures PD to have their flagship appear soon after it releases. It could explain why PD went from saying early on there would be no DLC to suddenly offering a pack every couple of months starting almost a year after release.

All true, I was just rather annoyed by the guy who was so certain in his opinion that GT6 would be on PS4 and anyone thinking otherwise was straight up wrong.

You're right, we don't know either way at the moment but I'd say there is more evidence for it being on PS3 than on a future console at this stage.

SimonK
You're right, we don't know either way at the moment but I'd say there is more evidence for it being on PS3 than on a future console at this stage.

I certainly wouldn't bet money that it will be on an as of now non-existent console.:sly:

Game design and optimization.

GT5 may have pushed the PS3 to its limits, but it could be poor coding as much as anything else. Fixing blatant errors in physics or correctly overly simplified models shouldn't require a whole new system either.

I have been programming computers since the mid seventies, optimization is great, but it has it's limitations, especially when the limits are hardware based. Nobody gets 8X performance from optimization, and if the devs haven't figured out how to program for a six year old system yet then they won't ever figure it out! Six years is nearly obsolete in computer hardware terms. I stand by my original statement, I do not see any performance based upgrades with the current hardware.

You seem to be a PERFECT example of a large noise signifying NOTHING. lol. So much babble for no reason.
Ad hominems rather than bothering to respond to anything I said? Congratulations. You've become the exact thing you're railing against. Proud?

All the prattle you can muster doesn't change the fact that my point is totally valid and I'm right. Original post requires a wish list of sorts.
The very nature of this thread makes it at least partially a wish list.
That would make sense if this thread wasn't basically a wish list style thread at it's core but it is.
"If I say it enough times, it will become true!"

It was already explained to you several times why this wasn't true. Ignoring it and just repeating yourself almost word for word doesn't change that.

The people who have this strange hate on for "wishing" need to read another thread or find a place where your dictator-like dream crushing techniques will be welcomed.
Or the people who feel the need to post random wishes for the series can do so in the threads dedicated to the topic that aren't locked, and you can go White Knight for them there.

You've mistaken defending people for "attacking".
No. You've mistaken "pushing your own viewpoint for how this forum should be run" for "defending people."

And you've attacked me at least once, so perhaps you should rent a backhoe?

I know it's how most bullys try to shut up people and twist the truth around who won't be steamrolled but I'm smarter than that. Nice try though.
Again, hypocrite much?

I assume since it wasn't locked right from the start, it won't be at this point so why do people keep harping about it. Whine in a different thread.
Because, for what is probably the 12th time, this isn't a wishlist thread. If it was, it would have been locked; and people posting wishlists without bothering to make them relevant to what the thread is actually about will get it locked.

Seriously, do you not get the irony here? I mean, I know it was pointed out to you several times and you still posted that, but come on.

Last edited:
I have been programming computers since the mid seventies, optimization is great, but it has it's limitations, especially when the limits are hardware based. Nobody gets 8X performance from optimization, and if the devs haven't figured out how to program for a six year old system yet then they won't ever figure it out! Six years is nearly obsolete in computer hardware terms. I stand by my original statement, I do not see any performance based upgrades with the current hardware.

We don't need anywhere near 8 times performance though, and the PS3 was 4 years old when GT5 came out, and has had a reputation for being hard to code for.

A good deal of GT5's problems have to do with game design, and a lot can be fixed without having to worry about the hardware at all. The PS3 probably has enough power to run a good simulator, PD probably just did not focus on the right things when making the game.

We don't need anywhere near 8 times performance though, and the PS3 was 4 years old when GT5 came out, and has had a reputation for being hard to code for.

A good deal of GT5's problems have to do with game design, and a lot can be fixed without having to worry about the hardware at all. The PS3 probably has enough power to run a good simulator, PD probably just did not focus on the right things when making the game.

+1 👍

Think about it, what are the worst things about GT5? What to this day still has people disappointed and let down by the game as a whole? It's the stuff which PD CAN improve. I very rarely see anyone truly moaning about the shadows or the alpha channels or whatever people in these threads keep bleating on about why it needs to be on a PS4 which can do that better. Sure those were/are issues and people didn't like it but those sorts of things are very easy to get over.

It's the GAME portion people were most disappointed in, not the graphics/performance department. The main graphics downside today is still the standards and guess what? That's not a system limitation, that's a time and resources limitation.

Each GT5 DLC nets perhaps = $2-4 million each.

GT6 potential sales of 10 million units at $70 = $700 Million

Regardless of any other reasons or what is wrong with GT5 or can be better with GT6, from a purely business standpoint, there will be a GT6, GT7, GT8 etc. unless sales drop dramatically. It's merely a matter of time, pending the creation of PS4 or not, and whenever PD reaches the point where they have enough flash and substance to release GT6. When those factors line up, GT6 will be forthcoming.

It's almost they should just concentrate on dlc instead of creating a new game. Unless the graphics change (ps4) then I see a reason for gt6

You may feel that the graphics are great, along with the physics and online. But to some like me, there are room for improvements. In fact, I have problems with just about every track graphics wise. Those that don't have weather and/or time changes (which in itself is already an absurd notion, considering tracks like the Top Gear Test Track lacks any changeability) have too much contrast, i.e the sunlight is too bright, making replay photomode very "one directional". You either take the shot at an angle where the car is lit well by the sun or take a horribly shadowed shot.

Even in the very few select tracks that DO feature weather and time changes, it is far from satisfactory. The reflection of a wet track when struck by light, for example, exists only in SSR7. And that track is pretty much redundant if you have SSRX. Not to mention it lacks pit stops or any scenery worth mentioning. Your car does not look like it gets wet in replay photomode either. And what about the area in your windshield that isn't covered by your windshield wipers? They have droplets lingering on them when you're racing in cockpit view, but simply disappear altogether in replay mode. Or what about the fact that there are no fireballs involved when two Jay Leno Tank Cars collide on the Mulsanne Straight head to head on the Le Mans circuit? I highly doubt reality would be that kind to anyone who tried that stunt in real life. And in a game that bills itself as "The Real Driving Simulator", I want those fireballs, as immature as it may sound.

I've also heard a lot of complaints about the shadows in the game. And rather than explain in text, have some pictures.

CircuitdelaSarthe2009_1-1.jpg

CircuitdelaSarthe2009_24.jpg

I can't refute the physics being great point, because I've yet to drive a car in real life. But some flaws I noticed are that the acceleration in the game just spikes from half to full throttle after a certain point in your input, even if you're using the L or R2 button. Not to mention, I've heard that GT5 lacks the pedal feedback feature for when your wheels are about to lock up from braking. Or what about the confusion with the brake balance? How you could set it to amount to a total of 2 or 20? How every car initially comes with a 5/5 brake balance? Does that figure represent the car's factory fresh braking performance? Or altered so that the front and rear match?

Online play has been pretty awful for me. I've had a billion connectivity issues with friends, let alone strangers, like me not being able to enter their lounges nor public rooms. Or how there is no matchmaking, nor better filters like PP and the like.

Of course, that's just my conflicting opinion on what the OP stated was already amazing and needed no improvement. There are still other issues, like the menus taking forever to load only for you to spend one second using them. Or how standard cars only get 3 equally ugly and obnoxious rear spoilers with none for the front. Or how even some Premium cars suffer from the same problem. How we can't customise the looks of our cars much at all. How there are no paint previews for one time paint chips use. There are just way too many issues and room for improvement to be simply amended via patches and DLCs. In fact, hoping that GT6 would fix any of these issues is just wishful thinking at best, knowing PD and Kaz's indifference to the community.

Ah, a wish list thread!

I wish GT6 would be a PS4 title. Well, I hope it will be.

Up until I read this thread I was convinced it would be. Now though I’m not so sure.

I’ll tell you why, but I’m not going to go searching all over gtplanet for quotes.

Some Sony executive said not too long ago that the PS3 was designed to have a ten-year life cycle, and he didn’t think that would change. That gives it almost another five years.

The guy not too long ago that talked about enough new tracks to make your head spin.

And finally Kaz’s statement (that I had never seen before this thread) about GT6 running on the GT5 engine.

I was hoping GT6 would be a PS4 title so it would be spectacular. Now I am convinced it will be a remade GT5 on the current platform. But it will have many of the old tracks I’ve been craving. And possibly no standard cars.
Since there has yet to be an announcement about a GT6 release date I think it will come out next year. This will split the difference of the PS3’s life cycle – three years of GT5 and three years of GT6 before the release of the PS4. Then… GT7!

Johnnypenso
Each GT5 DLC nets perhaps = $2-4 million each.

GT6 potential sales of 10 million units at $70 = $700 Million

1) Not sure where you got your DLC figures. They could be accurate, but I don't know that they've ever been widely publicized.

2) Games aren't normally $70. Prices vary, but generally in the US we're looking at $60.

3) If GT6 sells ten million units at $60 each, that isn't $600 million in PD's pocket. The stores we bought from gets a cut of that, and I think usually with games there's other folks in the pipeline who also get a cut. If PD gets half of the sales value, that would be $300 million.

4) Not all ten million units would be at full $60 price. Over time prices drop and some sales would be at a lower price, though I don't know what GT5 is going for two years after release.

5) Has GT5 even hit ten million sales yet? If not, I don't see GT6 doing it.

There would be a point if they can include things like such below

I'd like there more things to do, everything to do with racing should be in Gran Turismo 6.

For example delivering a car to raceteam, fitting tires, changes brakes, wheels, show what has to be done to install parts on cars.

A storyline would be nice too, following the story of some great racers including kaz himself.

It would be nice to see trucks ingame, like Ford Cargo classic and new and Mercedes Actros.

Even a Theory test and practical test for people to do, should be optional though but can get much better rewards if completed and Teaching people to race, wowie I come up with awesome ideas!

Please clever people, go learn what needs to be done to help work with Kaz making the waiting times for the sequel of GT shorter, I beg you ( on knees crying ) :bowdown:

Its annoying hearing about these decent download packs from Forza, if anything Forza and GT should combine for next sequel ?💡

Last edited:
Like someone else said, make it the true successor to GT4, the best of the series. No standard cars, a joke in 2012, then make the front end and lobby system online much less clunky. Def need a new game not an update, and there is no way this is coming out for PS3.

The driving physics and gfx are what keep me coming back (I just love driving cars on the wheel in this game), but the gfx could be improved, though tbh it isn't a big deal, but even the physics which really are very good indeed, have issues. No Torque steer for instance.

Last edited:
The point of GT6 to answer the thread title is money. I don't think the $60 million budget was for ONE title. I'd say it's for two games in ONE generation.

Hence GT1 & 2 then GT3 and 4. They have to make the maximum return on their investment to make money, and since new consoles are sold at a loss, that means the only way to make that money is to release a second game on the same system.

Hence GT6 being a PS3 title rather than a PS4 title, which will by the way require a completely new game engine. Who says? Kaz says. Each new generation of console, we throw away the existing code and start again.

Who says GT6 is on PS3? Kaz did. When? Go back to when we did not know if their was ever going to be any DLC.

When he was asked about the possibility of DLC for GT5. His answer? We have not decided whether to release new content as DLC or hold it back for GT6. Conclusion, GT6 must be on PS3 otherwise that question would not have arisen.

That was a long time ago. If they are working on GT6 for PS3 then GT7 for PS4 will be as far down the line in its life as GT5 was for PS3. imo the timesacle just doesn't fit for PS3.

Your missing the point. If they were procrastinating on whether to release DLC for GT5 or save it for GT6, then by definition GT6 cannot be for another generation of console.

This is because no matter what their intention is, they must have been producing content suitable for GT5 and GT6 to even give it any thought.

Your missing the point. If they were procrastinating on whether to release DLC for GT5 or save it for GT6, then by definition GT6 cannot be for another generation of console.

This is because no matter what their intention is, they must have been producing content suitable for GT5 and GT6 to even give it any thought.

No, it could mean that. Or it could mean, that what he was thinking at the time and now he has changed his mind.

Number one, we won't be buying another $60.00 disc. We will be buying time to participate on servers to race and/or tune and practice. Just my opinion but feel strongly that disc is going away very soon.

Next, the game can be improved by adding real racing rules as well as real racing venues. The car classes can be further defined and the various aspects of tuning and adding aero parts can be integrated into the game physics. And speaking of physics, no car should be able to lap the Ring faster than it's real life variant. And no car should have a higher top speed than it's real life counterpart either. I mean the title does say "The Real Racing Simulator" right? Then be realistic! Not arcadeish.

Graphics can be improved (via the new console) and livery editor and race mods can be vastly improved and in the case of livery editing it’s way overdue. A smarter adaptive AI has been needed since the start of the series.

Of course all standard cars must be converted to premium, and more cars from other makers, not just Japan. How about Callaway and Koenigsegg for starters? How many know about the Callaway engineered 254MPH Vett? Callaway has also done work for BMW, Aston Martin, Mazda and Porsche to name just a few. Those cars would be killer in the game.

Finally, how about changing the "A-SPEC" to something more involved than just blowing through lame AI cars. How about making a story line that is unique to each racer? And create on-line beginner rooms for A-SPEC that teaches about tuning, handling and racing rules for each class of racing. If you don't follow the rules it will affect how your A-SPEC storyline plays out. It should also have bearing on what type of race license you can earn and what races you can participate in.

Back