GT6 Where are the used cars?

• Thread starter logicliker
  • 89 comments
Wish this thread had a poll. Umm, put me on the side in favor of the UCD. I get why people didn't like it. But I liked the simulation of finding an older used car, fixing it up and then taking it to the track and whooping up on the guys with the fancy new cars. I really enjoyed that. Will be missed.

GT5's UCD, from what I have read, was a pain in the ass. GT4's, on the other hand, was much better since there weren't any missable cars, and that would have been great to have in GT6. Perhaps buying a used car unlocked it in the dealership, with all available colors? Or an extra fee for colors you didn't buy the used car in.

It was nice to check the used car lot, but its absence is not something I will cry my heart out for.

remember when people sold the XFR in GT5 only to make its value amongst collectors skyrocket before duping was invented?

I'm gonna miss that.

The UCD only annoyed me in GT5, but probably because those cars were unavailable to but whenever you wanted them. The chore of having to pop into the UCD after every 4-5 races got old very fast.

I agree it could have continued, and they could have put used standards AND premiums in there. But oh well!

Personally I’ll miss the UCD. I think my favourite implementation was in the original GT games where you had new cars which were all the current models, used cars which were all older models, and special cars which were race cars and rare cars. It worked nicely with the progression of the game as you started out only able to afford the older models and then it made buying the new models something to work towards. Though the implementation in GT4 was also very good, and worked a lot better than 5 in that the cars changed more frequently and there were a lot more on sale at any given time. It also made sense that you might then have loads of different models of MX-5 and Skyline, because they were just the random ones which might happen to pop up at any moment. Look at them all together in the dealership and suddenly it just seems ridiculous.

The other good thing about the UCD is that it makes rare cars truly rare and hard to obtain. Even now, there are still a lot of cars I’d love to have in my garage but haven’t appeared yet in the UCD when I’ve checked, which really adds to the thrill of finally finding that one car you have been wanting for so long.

I don’t think it will really make a massive difference to the game overall, but I do feel like the change is taking something away from the experience rather than adding something.

Guys, it's all about money. Making every car available from the dealership at 'new' prices means more people buying cars means more people wanting credits quickly means more people paying real cash for in game credits.

Sadly it's how all games are heading.

The UCD is gone??? Oh Man, the GT traditionalists are going to be horrified, expect many, MANY, more 'PD butchered the game' rants..................

I think it's more about the aesthetics of the game the Ucd gave GT its own unique feel to the game, just like road rash when u could buy the certain class of motorcycle it gives you a sense of achievement knowing you kicked ass In the rust bucket you just polished straight out the scrap heap. Already I've only just bought the game and I was forced to buy the Honda. Why couldn't I choose my first car like the old GT. I can't even screw the game up now because I chose a crap car to start the game. It's all gone upper class gt where the working class can't buy an old breaker anymore. I wondered if I was in arcade mode for a while and then noticed I wasn't. A bit commercially bland for now can't wait to unlock more cars. Thank god I kept GT5

Can I ask all you race fans and gran turismo players just one very important question?just exactly where do all the cars we sell go?there has to be a massive stockpile of used gigabytes somewhere? Ha ha I think Bernie Eccelstone has them all!!!

This is one of my favorite aspects of the GT series. Buying used junkers and fixing them up/modding them to compete with the newer/more powerful cars.

I have the game, and I cannot find used car dealership anywhere. This is shocking to me, given that it has been a staple in the series for its 15 year history, and one of the really cool aspects that make the game unique compared to other racing games.

Anybody with the game, or who has followed the pre-release scene, can confirm that there are used cars somewhere in the game?
I know it's insane, I been playing this g as me from day one, and now they do this, what a let down, im so disappointed in the game, they are going backwards.

Gt6 follows the GT3 formula in MANY aspects. They got rid of it because people complained about looking for a car..
Still doesn't make sense, I don't understand why they just don't add all the used cars in a used garage so who ever is looking for a particular car they can find it, I enjoyed upgrading the old cars and fine turning them into fast rolling Monsters, enjoyed defeating named brand cars online, that was a very self satisfying accomplishment, heck everything is online these days I know they can put every car they ever created in the GT Series.

Wish this thread had a poll. Umm, put me on the side in favor of the UCD. I get why people didn't like it. But I liked the simulation of finding an older used car, fixing it up and then taking it to the track and whooping up on the guys with the fancy new cars. I really enjoyed that. Will be missed.
Yes it was very DISAPPOINTING thats all I looked forward too, that was my main challenge in the game, finding some Honda Prelude & tricking it out work my tail off to finally fine tunning the thing, and end up leaving a Shelby 350 GTR in the dust, looks like those days are gone. =(

Last edited by a moderator:
I never really liked the UCD and never saw the need for it. Both in GT5 & 6 you made so much money without breaking a sweat that you simply had the cash for a new car.
And god am i happy i can just go to the dealer to buy a new car instead of having to cycle the UCD and first having to restore the car with oil and stuff.
It might sound capitalistic, but hell, when i have the money i want the car i want and i want it new and without hassle.

It would matter only if all cars appear in the dealerships. If we remember, some cars were not available for purchase in the dealerships as they could only be purchased through UCD. If we have all the cars in the dealersips, then we don't need a UCD.

But I did like the feature in GT5.

Don't miss UCD, but I would have loved an online market.

Trouble is if they did that GT would be flooded by small time criminals. Glitching ones personal experience is ok, but if one glitch to abuse an online community it's called fraud. EA games has lost their apeal to me due to massive hacker attacks against gamer accounts. Where there is money/value, there are thieves.

What I have noticed with practically all of the people who said that they didn't like it is, they say that they have to use it. As in, in order to play the game, you must buy specific cars from the UCD. I didn't have to use it, I chose to. It was an option. Sure, if you wanted a specific car, you had to wait for a long time and spend lots of money, but you were choosing to do that. GT5 wasn't threatening you saying, you must use the UCD or I will throw myself against the wall and shatter myself. Besides, all of the people who want to buy these old expensive cars from the dealerships, they don't sell them anymore! The only place to get old cars in the real world is to buy them used. I think GT6 would have been a lot more realistic if the UCD was implemented. *end rant*

What I have noticed with practically all of the people who said that they didn't like it is, they say that they have to use it. As in, in order to play the game, you must buy specific cars from the UCD. I didn't have to use it, I chose to. It was an option. Sure, if you wanted a specific car, you had to wait for a long time and spend lots of money, but you were choosing to do that. GT5 wasn't threatening you saying, you must use the UCD or I will throw myself against the wall and shatter myself. Besides, all of the people who want to buy these old expensive cars from the dealerships, they don't sell them anymore! The only place to get old cars in the real world is to buy them used. I think GT6 would have been a lot more realistic if the UCD was implemented. *end rant*

Doesn't change the fact that the UCD in GT5 was poorly deigned. Ignoring the problem doesn't make it go away.

Used car area was a good distraction - however bogus the journey was, it was always an excellent adventure when you unearthed some blast from the past.

The everything right away nature of GT6 is what the majority want though. I liked the quirks of the bad used area... it made an odd car special because you didn't just rock up to the Showroom drop a few bags of cash and drive off.

It would be fun if mileage = car problems. Not just 2bhp lost for ever. but proper problems that you either drove round... or spent credits and time to (Constantly) fix, or bodge for a race and hope it held together for the next 50 miles... slipping clutch, grabby brakes, misfires, leaky fuel lines (Not only is fuel economy hurt but fumes will fuzz up the vision of the driver as the race goes on.)

- Who knows, maybe in a future patch I'll be able to buy some cheap old cars with high mileage from other players stockyard area.

I really hated looking for cars in the UCD. there are cars in gt5 that I never got to drive cause they never showed up in the UCD.

Ryk
Used car area was a good distraction - however bogus the journey was, it was always an excellent adventure when you unearthed some blast from the past.

The everything right away nature of GT6 is what the majority want though. I liked the quirks of the bad used area... it made an odd car special because you didn't just rock up to the Showroom drop a few bags of cash and drive off.

It would be fun if mileage = car problems. Not just 2bhp lost for ever. but proper problems that you either drove round... or spent credits and time to (Constantly) fix, or bodge for a race and hope it held together for the next 50 miles... slipping clutch, grabby brakes, misfires, leaky fuel lines (Not only is fuel economy hurt but fumes will fuzz up the vision of the driver as the race goes on.)

- Who knows, maybe in a future patch I'll be able to buy some cheap old cars with high mileage from other players stockyard area.
That to me is what buying used cars is all about. A pig in a poke as they say.

What I have noticed with practically all of the people who said that they didn't like it is, they say that they have to use it. As in, in order to play the game, you must buy specific cars from the UCD.
Actually, yes. I played GT5 without online in the first few weeks (so no online collector dealership), which meant I had to buy the cars necessary for the sport truck races, as well as the FGT from the used car lottery, otherwise I wouldn't have progressed.

Not having easy access to all of the same cars is why I gave up on GT5 after having played GT6 first. Far too tedious and I fear it would take too long to find a "big-block" NA MX-5.

This is one of my favorite aspects of the GT series. Buying used junkers and fixing them up/modding them to compete with the newer/more powerful cars.

I have the game, and I cannot find used car dealership anywhere. This is shocking to me, given that it has been a staple in the series for its 15 year history, and one of the really cool aspects that make the game unique compared to other racing games.

Anybody with the game, or who has followed the pre-release scene, can confirm that there are used cars somewhere in the game?
It's PD responding to a sign of the times, sadly. Many gamers are in too much of a hurry to have it all in one go, so the 'lucky dip' element of the UCD frustrated a vast proportion of players.
I enjoyed the UCD feature, but was never in a rush to pick up a particular car - although saying that I did whoop a little when an RuF showed up. I had loads of them.

Back