GT6 Where are the used cars?

• Thread starter logicliker
  • 89 comments
Would be nice if GTAuto had a "Back pages of your local newspaper" mod...(Hoopty car Modification)
Costs 50 credits - but turns your brand new 1978 Civic... into a "Moon and Back" car with all kinds of chassis flexing issues and oil so old and used you need hammer and chisel to get it moving out of the sump.

(I imagine the scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off, when the Honest Chicago Mechanics take the Ferrari for a - nice gentle drive. )

What I learned from the UCD in GT5:

-no one ever keeps a Mitsubishi twin turbo for long
-ditto any RX-7 Variant
-you will never EVER find a truck for sale... unless it's the Toyota cross runner.

Seriously. There are more Mitsubishi GTOs and RX-7s on the GT5 UCD than were ever produced in both cars respective production runs... and god forbid you ever want to buy a truck for the ONE RACE SERIES that called for them, because besides the Toyota which would crop up maybe once every 50 races for me, I only ever saw a dodge Laramie ONCE, and that was it (I've owned the game since release and until I uninstalled the game last week, I have *never* seen a Ford or Chevy truck in the UCD.

The idea of the UCD was nice... and I admit it was part of the charm that lured me into the first GT (I still remember the '89 skyline GT-S that was the very first car I bought in the original gran turismo) but I don't really need it to enjoy the game so long as I can buy what I need from the dealerships

Alltrought the new system (without UCD) looks easier to get the cars we want,it's quite unrealistic.

In real life,when you're looking for an rare vehicle,such as the Chap' 2J,even if you got the money,it's not something like - "That's it,I'm going right now to the Chaparral's showroom to buy my brand new 0 miles Chaparral 2J."

You have to spend some time looking for it in dedicated sources,and in case of this 2J,its a very,very rare piece to find. And it's even harder find something like this in brand new conditions.

Even if we talk about a cheap car - Where the hell we can find a 0 miles brand new Mazda RX-7 FC3S 90'? C'mon..

The UCD makes everything more realistic,even if you're looking for a cheap car to start,or a rare legend. I personally will miss the UCD,cause I like to fishing around,to find that car I'm looking for and think - "WOW,THAT car! I'll take it right now!" Somehow,being hard to find or get an car,makes it feel more "special" for me. It's not the same feel when you can just take the money and get it brand new any time at the showroom.

The UCD makes the rare cars,feel rare,it's a big part of the fun for those who like to collect cars,so I will totally miss it.

Alltrought the new system (without UCD) looks easier to get the cars we want,it's quite unrealistic.

In real life,when you're looking for an rare vehicle,such as the Chap' 2J,even if you got the money,it's not something like - "That's it,I'm going right now to the Chaparral's showroom to buy my brand new 0 miles Chaparral 2J."

You have to spend some time looking for it in dedicated sources,and in case of this 2J,its a very,very rare piece to find. And it's even harder find something like this in brand new conditions.

Even if we talk about a cheap car - Where the hell we can find a 0 miles brand new Mazda RX-7 FC3S 90'? C'mon..

The UCD makes everything more realistic,even if you're looking for a cheap car to start,or a rare legend. I personally will miss the UCD,cause I like to fishing around,to find that car I'm looking for and think - "WOW,THAT car! I'll take it right now!" Somehow,being hard to find or get an car,makes it feel more "special" for me. It's not the same feel when you can just take the money and get it brand new any time at the showroom.

The UCD makes the rare cars,feel rare,it's a big part of the fun for those who like to collect cars,so I will totally miss it.

The UCD in GT5 wasn't anymore realistic. Cars don't vanish from the lot, never to be seen again after one day has passed. It was poorly exceuted by cramming 80% of the cars in there.

Anyway, when has buying a car in any game been realistic?

The UCD in GT5 wasn't anymore ealistic. Cars don't vanish from the lot, never to be seen again after one day has passed. It was poorly exceuted by cramming 80% of the cars in there.

Actually, it was very realistic... If you don't buy it, someone else will. That "someone else" just so happens to be the used car God and makes stuff vanish.

Well said. The only things I didn't like about the UCD were a) I'm slow, so it took me over a year of playing to get that those little blue check marks meant I already owned that car (was that an update feature?) and b) it was almost that long before I learned what the turnover rate was. I ended up with at least one of every car organic to the game at one point or another, but I didn't make it easy on myself:lol:. For that matter, neither did PD with a simple instruction manual:grumpy:.

The UCD in GT5 wasn't anymore realistic. Cars don't vanish from the lot, never to be seen again after one day has passed. It was poorly exceuted by cramming 80% of the cars in there.

It was never been realistic,but when we play a game like GT,we think about things coming close as possible from reality. That UCD could not be that good or realistic,but I'm sure it was better than that "come and buy" system. Plus,the UCD is a classic feature that was in GT's since 1997.

Now the new system it's just like in arcade mode,but with Credits. Less realistic.

The UCD removal it's a step back,there was no reason to scrap it from the game.

It was never been realistic,but when we play a game like GT,we think about things coming close as possible from reality. That UCD could not be that good or realistic,but I'm sure it was better than that "come and buy" system. Plus,the UCD is a classic feature that was in GT's since 1997.

Now the new system it's just like in arcade mode,but with Credits. Less realistic.

The UCD removal it's a step back,there was no reason to scrap it from the game.

The UCD could have just been done way better. GT1, GT2, and GT4 proved this. The multiple UCDs in those games were organized. In GT1 and GT2, they were organized by manufacturer. In GT4, they were organized by time period. This made it more convenient to find certain cars. In GT5 on the other hand, stuffing 800 cars into one place in random order was just lazy. Many people were frustrated about cars disappearing so quickly in the UCD. In the early days of GT5, exploiting the gift feature and birthday tickets was a very common practice to make obtaining UCD cars easier.

Besides, the NCD in GT5 contradicted the point of having rare cars. Many premium cars that are supposedly one of a kind in real life, are owned by millions of players. Why should the standard cars be excepted from this? And in this era of online gaming, having "rare" cars is impractical. People just want to get online and race each other with as little hassle as possible. Not play Pokemon with cars. We can still have a UCD in future games, but some thought needs to be into it; something that wasn't done with the one in GT5.

Last edited:
The UCD could have just been done way better. GT1, GT2, and GT4 proved this. The multiple UCDs in those games that were organized. In GT1 and GT2, they were organized by manufacturer. In GT4, they were organized by time period. This made it more convenient to find certain cars. In GT5 on the other hand, stuffing 800 cars into one place in random order was just lazy. Many people were frustrated about cars disappearing so quickly in the UCD. In the early days of GT5, exploiting the gift feature and birthday tickets was a very common practice to make obtaining UCD cars easier.

Besides, the NCD in GT5 contradicted the point of having rare cars. Many premium cars that are supposedly one of a kind in real life, are owned by millions of players. Why should the standard cars be excepted from this? And in this era of online gaming, having "rare" cars is impractical. People just want to get online and race each other with as little hassle as possible. Not play Pokemon with cars. We can still have a UCD in future games, but some thought needs to be into it; something that wasn't done with the one in GT5.

lol. Forguet about Pokemon stuff.. I agree that it could be more organized,but still,not having it it's just worse. And yeah,the UCD should mix standard and old premiums as well. Theres no sense to sell an old car as brand new just because it's a premium.

Anyway I dont think that it affects the online play at all.. If cars were not hard or challenging to find or get,people will simple take the best car for that race,and,hell,it turns a "one make" race,with no variety.

The problem is the GT5 UCD scheme that people dont like,it could be solved by just bringing us the old and good GT4 UCD scheme,and sure making these rare cars appears only on UCD.

The UCD could have just been done way better. GT1, GT2, and GT4 proved this. The multiple UCDs in those games were organized. In GT1 and GT2, they were organized by manufacturer. In GT4, they were organized by time period. This made it more convenient to find certain cars. In GT5 on the other hand, stuffing 800 cars into one place in random order was just lazy. Many people were frustrated about cars disappearing so quickly in the UCD. In the early days of GT5, exploiting the gift feature and birthday tickets was a very common practice to make obtaining UCD cars easier.

Pretty much every new GT has some feature reworked or reorganized or simply taken away that some number of players had gotten used to, or even liked and that's always been a big "suck factor" with the new games. If you'll read the older trading threads for GT5, you'll see that the occurrence of most cars there was hardly random. And here's news....once upon a time, there were maaaaaaaany players who didn't map out the game before it even released and so had NO idea about multiple accounts, glitching tickets, money glitches etc. I didn't stumble upon GTP until a little over a year ago and *BOOM* a car collector was born (and has sadly died again with GT6).

I am sorry, and don't wish to be dismissive, but what are you talking about? THE reason I buy GT games is to "drive" cars I'll never see, much less own, in real life. They've made it pretty much hard enough to get the marquee cars I think most players buy this game for. And considering the weak discounts for mileage GT5's UCD gave, there's no purpose to having used premium cars in the UCD that are available all day long in the NCD band-box new. Seriously, that's nitpicking. The selection of cars in the UCD versus premium is always debatable, but we have no idea what different car manufacturers demand when they allow PD to use their products in a game.

Do you guys seriously want that god awful UCD back? really?

for me, the UCD made me have a birthday 200 days per year, sometimes 5 times per day. and it made me get fake friends who had a date of birth the exact same year as a car I wanted. And they too had birthdays 200 days per year.
and for some strange reason, because we all celebrated birthdays so much, the game just throwed cars at us for free.
In the end, I had more cars than I could count, all at 0 mileage.

seems like finding a 0 mileage car at a dealership is more realistic...

jokes aside, it was a pain in the ass getting the cars you wanted, and I'm sooo grateful they got rid of that UCD feature, even tho it was part of the charm back in the days. it is fun the first 5 days, then it just gets annoying.

As far as I'm concerned. it is the biggest improvement they did from GT5 to GT6. really.

et_
Do you guys seriously want that god awful UCD back? really?

for me, the UCD made me have a birthday 200 days per year, sometimes 5 times per day. and it made me get fake friends who had a date of birth the exact same year as a car I wanted. And they too had birthdays 200 days per year.
and for some strange reason, because we all celebrated birthdays so much, the game just throwed cars at us for free.

seems like finding a 0 mileage car at a dealership is more realistic...

jokes aside, it was a pain in the ass getting the cars you wanted, and I'm sooo grateful they got rid of that UCD feature, even tho it was part of the charm back in the days. it is fun the first 5 days, then it just gets annoying.

As far as I'm concerned. it is the biggest improvement they did from GT5 to GT6. really.
You think it's annoying when you KNEW what you were doing? Try finding out you've been playing for 2 years and didn't have a clue about all it's little tricks and features:banghead::lol:. And the UCD didn't make you have 200 IDs, that was tickets and the multiple accounts:P. I didn't even know about game saves til I met GTP:eek:.:gtpflag:

et_
UCD made me have a birthday 200 days per year, sometimes 5 times per day. and it made me get fake friends who had a date of birth the exact same year as a car I wanted. And they too had birthdays 200 days per year.

Sorry but that's not about the UCD,it's about your fake accounts. :indiff:

Sorry but that's not about the UCD,it's about your fake accounts. :indiff:

It is about a workaround for the problems UCD created. If you play offline I guess the UCD is fine and gives the game another dimension. If you play online it is a major PITA if you would need a certain car.

I guess I'm on both sides of this fence, I liked the UCD a lot and used it daily but I dont miss it much because the new system works great, plus now that we get to keep paint chips there's no need to constantly buy cars in order to stock up on paint.

Its removes the pressure to buy cars you dont currently want but would buy anyway since the inventory cycles. I dont feel the need to keep a huge pile of cash on hand in order to snatch up the rarer cars when they show up. Also there's no longer the urge to stop after every 5 races to make sure you didn't miss out on a single cycle of the UCD.
Its sort of liberating.

I am sorry, and don't wish to be dismissive, but what are you talking about? THE reason I buy GT games is to "drive" cars I'll never see, much less own, in real life. They've made it pretty much hard enough to get the marquee cars I think most players buy this game for. And considering the weak discounts for mileage GT5's UCD gave, there's no purpose to having used premium cars in the UCD that are available all day long in the NCD band-box new. Seriously, that's nitpicking. The selection of cars in the UCD versus premium is always debatable, but we have no idea what different car manufacturers demand when they allow PD to use their products in a game.

I don't know how you got that out of my post. When I said why should standard cars be excepted from this, by that I mean, why should only the premium cars be accessed at any time? Why can't some of the standard cars be as easily accesseable? Putting ALL standard cars into a random rotation was a bad idea. There are too many of them to do something like that.

I don't know how you got that out of my post. When I said why should standard cars be excepted from this, by that I mean, why should only the premium cars be accessed at any time? Why can't some of the standard cars be as easily accesseable? Putting ALL standard cars into a random rotation was a bad idea. There are too many of them to do something like that.
OK, sorry for the misread on my part. I missed your point completely. Given the number of outlets in previous GT titles, that tiny mixed-up and unpredictable (if you didn't peruse GTP) UCD WAS a bit of a shock. And I'll completely admit that as soon as I learned about multiple accounts, tickets did far more for me in terms of collecting than the UCD ever did again.
It would be nice, on a slightly different track, if PD had allowed us to sort the dealership in GT6 by premium/standard.

I miss it. Although I had every car I NEEDED in gt5, it was kind of cool trolling the ucd for that rarity, just so you could have it. I also found it a good place when the seasonals called for a certain make/model, there were always stacks of different ones there to buy and try at reasonable cost. I know this is a little off topic, but I would love to see a test drive feature in the new car dealerships in gt6. It kind of pains me to be looking for a car in a certain PP range, find something that may or may not be what your after, then having to buy it just to test it, only to find its not quite right, or down on power etc, then cop a belting having to sell it for 25-30% of what you just outlaid for it new. Much better to be able to test drive for a few laps before committing, don't you think?

I miss it. Although I had every car I NEEDED in gt5, it was kind of cool trolling the ucd for that rarity, just so you could have it. I also found it a good place when the seasonals called for a certain make/model, there were always stacks of different ones there to buy and try at reasonable cost. I know this is a little off topic, but I would love to see a test drive feature in the new car dealerships in gt6. It kind of pains me to be looking for a car in a certain PP range, find something that may or may not be what your after, then having to buy it just to test it, only to find its not quite right, or down on power etc, then cop a belting having to sell it for 25-30% of what you just outlaid for it new. Much better to be able to test drive for a few laps before committing, don't you think?
By GT4 I had learned a cardinal rule of the GT series: NEVER sell a car. Of course, you can always go back in GT6 and buy it over and over (FWIW: BOO). And to truly know if you're going to find a car usable, it needs a bit of tuning, the right track with the right competition, so I've never missed a test-drive function. If you need it, buy it; if you want it, buy it. Enjoy it either way.:cheers:

This is a feature I'm going to sorely miss, I can see what people were saying about it having a certain level of tedium in GT5 but if it's done right like a vehicle request whereover you pick make and model, or even garage filter style year, make, model, drivetrain, aspiration etc so on, even incorporate the new 'Recommended Cars' tab where the player can pick Vehicle style, I.E. Rally, Le Mans, JGTC etc etc thus giving the car, or car type a better chance of appearing after a race license test. I really hope Polyphony would consider something like this in the future; hopefully with Gran Turismo 6 so this particular feature can be revamped and overhauled and perfected for the release of Gran Turismo 7 on Ps4.

People may disagree with me but I hated the UCD in GT5. It was so hard being patient for that car you want and you find out it's too expensive. Also, a car may need an engine overhaul which will end up being expensive (like 500,000 CR for some race cars). Even though not having a UCD means not coming across a rare car, at least the car you want will be there in the regular dealership all the time.

I think it was a VERY wise descision NOT to make a UCD or OCD in GT6. We just played GT5 for 3 years, and some of the cars in OCD/UCD, especially the Tommy Kaira ZZII, the Holden Commodore, and a few more, took me me sooo long to get my hands on. That was CHARMING in GT5, but would be extremely annoying in GT6, because 90% of the GT6 cars or so, were directly imported from GT5 or even from GT4, eventually wtih a little "do-over" and nothing more. So NO THANKS to wait years and years for the very same cars again...A very wise descision of PD indeed, to leave that....

But when GT7 comes out, it would perhaps be relevant with a UCD/OCD again, but ONLY if it will be cars that weren`t in GT4/GT5/GT6....

Last edited:
Me and some of my friends would have "Top Gear cheap car challenges" by going to the UCD in gt5 and doing different missions online, but now it really isnt the same experience in gt6...:indiff:

I used the UCD to obtain paint chips that were hard to find. Since paint chips are eternal, I don't miss the UCD.

So did I but I had always started with some piece of junk from the ucd (usually an S13 Silvia K's) up til this point and built my career that way but it just doesn't have the same feel to it without the ucd you know the excitement of not knowing what's going to show up after every few races,yes I get that it can be time consuming for collectors especially without B-Spec so far in GT6 but that's just my take.

Back