GT6 Won't start up, PS3 won't recognize disc.

• Thread starter Wiki
  • 64 comments
United States
United States
Wiki-GT11
Hello, last night i went to pick up my version of GT6 Anniversary Edition, when I got home, turned on my PS3 and put disc inside, the game icon in the "GAME" section won't show up and the disc tray would start making strange noises. I took out GT6 and got inside two other different games, which the PS3 read with no problem. Then i thought that maybe there wasn't enough space for the game to install, so I deleted as much games and data as possible until be left with 42 GBs of free space, then again, I got GT6 inside but happened the same weird thing, did this a couple of times more (Play the disc) and the PS3 finally read it. I downloaded all the Updates and Stuff and played for about 2 Hrs. Straight.

This morning I woke up, and i still get the same problem, the PS3 won't recognize the disc and the strange noises coming out of the disc tray. The game physically is in perfect conditions, not a single scratch or dent.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Last edited:
I had the same problem. Promptly exchanged it and the replacement did not load either. Updated PS3 to most recent firmware and after inserting and removing a few times it was recognized. Haven't tried today yet. Hope it still works.

EDIT - Does not work now. Again tried to insert and remove several times. Finally recognized disc but wont start. Showing ERROR 80010514

Last edited:
I have not replaced the disc for another one, but i did the exact same things, I tried to play the disc about 6 times and then It worked, updated the software and everything but i'm still getting the same weird issues this morning.

I think it is a software/firmware issue, not physical.

GT6 is a dual layer disc (a rarity among PS3 games, to be sure). If your PS3 laser is beginning to fail, that's probably where the issues are coming from.

I had the same problem. Promptly exchanged it and the replacement did not load either. Updated PS3 to most recent firmware and after inserting and removing a few times it was recognized. Haven't tried today yet. Hope it still works.

EDIT - Does not work now. Again tried to insert and remove several times. Finally recognized disc but wont start. Showing ERROR 80010514
Got mine inside again, the PS3 doesn't recognize it and makes an eject noise.

GT6 is a dual layer disc (a rarity among PS3 games, to be sure). If your PS3 laser is beginning to fail, that's probably where the issues are coming from.
Do you think that cleaning the laser may solve the issue?

It might, but it has to be said that the problem is more likely that the laser itself is getting weaker rather than the lens being dirty. My PS3 was doing the same thing as yours is now about a year ago. One day it just stopped working properly. It would load PS2 and PSX games, but usually would fail to load PS3 titles (Red Dead, GTA IV and GT5 were what I was trying. GTA IV worked usually, but GT5 and Red Dead failed completely). Ultimately I had to replace the BD drive (though I think you can get by just replacing the laser if you get the right one and are technically minded) with another one, and haven't had a problem since.

Based on the cost, you might want to consider just buying the digital version instead of paying for replacement parts, so long as you don't play anything that is on a dual layer disc (though you should try single layer games first to be sure before you commit); because even though it is having problems with dual layer titles, it may continue to work indefinitely with single layer games.

Tried DVD, CD, BLU-RAY (movie), BLU-RAY (game) and all played perfect. Cleaned the lens and after several attempts ejecting and inserting disc it worked. I'm afraid I will have to take 15 to 20 minutes every time I want to play GT6 just to get it to work.

This happened to me, I just download my games from the store now and they work fine, try that if all else fails.

Same is happening to me as well.
I have a ps3 slim 120gb that is 9 month old and has been used for less then 30 hours in total
it will not read GT6 at all.....the disc symbol does not appear in the game section and the ps3 makes a weird noise after 20 seconds.
I have tried all my other ps3 games (50 in total) and 2 of them does not work. Gran turismo6 and uncharted 3.

Same is happening to me as well.
I have a ps3 slim 120gb that is 9 month old and has been used for less then 30 hours in total
it will not read GT6 at all.....the disc symbol does not appear in the game section and the ps3 makes a weird noise after 20 seconds.
I have tried all my other ps3 games (50 in total) and 2 of them does not work. Gran turismo6 and uncharted 3.

Symptoms sounds like laser failing to read -detect disc> it will cost you 30-50€ for replacement BR laser (if its out of warranty) or exchange disc version for downloadable. But then to my experience if laser is failing sooner or later no disc will work .

Hello, last night i went to pick up my version of GT6 Anniversary Edition, when I got home, turned on my PS3 and put disc inside, the game icon in the "GAME" section won't show up and the disc tray would start making strange noises. I took out GT6 and got inside two other different games, which the PS3 read with no problem. Then i thought that maybe there wasn't enough space for the game to install, so I deleted as much games and data as possible until be left with 42 GBs of free space, then again, I got GT6 inside but happened the same weird thing, did this a couple of times more (Play the disc) and the PS3 finally read it. I downloaded all the Updates and Stuff and played for about 2 Hrs. Straight.

This morning I woke up, and i still get the same problem, the PS3 won't recognize the disc and the strange noises coming out of the disc tray. The game physically is in perfect conditions, not a single scratch or dent.

I've had this problem and can confirm that it's a dual layer issue. I got home and put the disc in and my PS3 spun the disc as if it was trying to start but eventually just stopped. I put in GTA V and all my other games and only Uncharted 3 didn't work. I took my disc back to GameStop and asked them to check the disc (buddy of mine works there) and it worked flawlessly. If you are within your warranty I recommend sending it in to tech support.

I have the issue as well. Exchanged mine for another today and it is still not working.

When I try to start it, it makes these weird ticking noises, then makes a sound similar to when it is ejecting the disc, ticks a bit more, then eventually just stops doing anything. My PS3 was new when I got it 3 years ago.

Last edited:
I had the exact same problem. After 10+ tries the disc loaded. I then realized that my GT-5 disc had been in my PS3 since Christmas 2010. I have turned the PS3 on and off a dozen times in the last few days, and everything is OK. I know this "fix" won't work for the gamers out there, but it seems it will recognize the disc if left in the machine. I can't be the only one out here playing just the GT series exclusively. I hope this helps someone. Edit: After 6 boot-ups it has failed again.:banghead:

Last edited:
same proplem with me and ive only had my ps3 3 years so i dont think the laser would have failed but a couple of times it has loaded first time

Guys i just did this and it worked, you can get the PS3 to normal position after the game loads.

I'll be darned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It actually works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: Man I thought it was a little silly at first but turns out it isn't. 👍 Thanks for posting! :)👍

It might, but it has to be said that the problem is more likely that the laser itself is getting weaker rather than the lens being dirty. My PS3 was doing the same thing as yours is now about a year ago. One day it just stopped working properly. It would load PS2 and PSX games, but usually would fail to load PS3 titles (Red Dead, GTA IV and GT5 were what I was trying. GTA IV worked usually, but GT5 and Red Dead failed completely). Ultimately I had to replace the BD drive (though I think you can get by just replacing the laser if you get the right one and are technically minded) with another one, and haven't had a problem since.

Based on the cost, you might want to consider just buying the digital version instead of paying for replacement parts, so long as you don't play anything that is on a dual layer disc (though you should try single layer games first to be sure before you commit); because even though it is having problems with dual layer titles, it may continue to work indefinitely with single layer games.
I think you may have hit the nail on the head with this. ;) How much would a new laser cost?

@GTP_CargoRatt Read this!

Last edited:
This is an issue with the 120gb slim model. Tilting the console up while inserting the disc actually fixes the problem. Had to do this with Beyond: Two Souls and The Last of Us since they're dual-layer too.

This is an issue with the 120gb slim model. Tilting the console up while inserting the disc actually fixes the problem. Had to do this with Beyond: Two Souls and The Last of Us since they're dual-layer too.
i have the 250GB will it work with that one

my friend has same problem. its a new ps3 slim too. all other games work but he cant get gt6 to work or be recognised. hes tried 2 copies so far and both been same. ordered from amazon. mine came from amazon too as a gift for xmas, so after reading this i tried my disc to be sure and worked fine lol. but yeh my friend having the same issues as you guys.

I have the issue as well. Exchanged mine for another today and it is still not working.

When I try to start it, it makes these weird ticking noises, then makes a sound similar to when it is ejecting the disc, ticks a bit more, then eventually just stops doing anything. My PS3 was new when I got it 3 years ago.
i have the same proplem as you mate

Three weeks ago my PS3 slim 320GB got the same issue, played Diablo 3 that time. No blu ray was playing anymore, DVDs no problem. I replaced the laser and everything is back to normal.

Three weeks ago my PS3 slim 320GB got the same issue, played Diablo 3 that time. No blu ray was playing anymore, DVDs no problem. I replaced the laser and everything is back to normal.
was it easy to replace laser? where did you get from? i replaced my whole blu ray drive when mine broke. but i can pass this info to my friend.

I'm ready to throw in the towel. Still having boot up problems. I'm afraid I will lose all my progress if this disc decides not to load at all in the future, plus it's a pain load-eject until it reads disc. If I buy the download version will my current saves transfer to the downloaded GT-6?

Yes and I hope PD fixes this ASAP. My PS3 still has your issue your describing since: Dec. 9 2013

Back