GT6 Won't start up, PS3 won't recognize disc.

• Thread starter Wiki
  • 64 comments
I bought the replacement laser simple from amazon, cost about 40 EUR. You need to know which is the right laser for your system, this site helps http://www.trisaster.de/page/index.php?topic=78 (it is german but should be understandable).

Not true for everyone. I tested all my new games (BF4, GTA5) and they all load fine/normal except for GT6.

I would suggest to all GT6 gamers to check all your game CD's and see if they load like normal. If they do...then you have your answer.

GT6 needs a patch. PD needs to get on it quick.

Cheers.

Hello, last night i went to pick up my version of GT6 Anniversary Edition, when I got home, turned on my PS3 and put disc inside, the game icon in the "GAME" section won't show up and the disc tray would start making strange noises. I took out GT6 and got inside two other different games, which the PS3 read with no problem. Then i thought that maybe there wasn't enough space for the game to install, so I deleted as much games and data as possible until be left with 42 GBs of free space, then again, I got GT6 inside but happened the same weird thing, did this a couple of times more (Play the disc) and the PS3 finally read it. I downloaded all the Updates and Stuff and played for about 2 Hrs. Straight.

This morning I woke up, and i still get the same problem, the PS3 won't recognize the disc and the strange noises coming out of the disc tray. The game physically is in perfect conditions, not a single scratch or dent.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Yep, I was having the same problem, but you found the ultimate position to hold our derelict consoles in, so they can load dual layer...thank you.
I picked up the console a few times and it began loading, though I could never find the right way to do it all the time (we shouldn't need to tilt them at all!....anyway...), you've now solved that problem. GT6 is a damn fine sim too! :)

FIXED! I got a replacment disc from Amazon and it is working. My old disc had the exact same problems decribed on this thread and it seems my disc was bad not the console. I consider myself lucky.:) Update: This disc also had problems. Got downloadable version, fixed.

Last edited:
Does anybody have this problem with the early 60GB PS3? I finally got home to try GT6 on my PS3, (bought GT6 two weeks ago) but it couldn't even load the disc and display its icon. I also tried tilting my console and restoring the file system, but it still couldn't load the game. :(

It could load the other games just fine though.

EDIT: Never mind, I just decided to get the digital download version. I suppose I wasted US$59.99. Oh well.

Last edited:
Does anybody have this problem with the early 60GB PS3? I finally got home to try GT6 on my PS3, (bought GT6 two weeks ago) but it couldn't even load the disc and display its icon. I also tried tilting my console and restoring the file system, but it still couldn't load the game. :(

It could load the other games just fine though.

EDIT: Never mind, I just decided to get the digital download version. I suppose I wasted US$59.99. Oh well.
mine works when I tilt it but yeah the download version would have been less haslet

I had this problem with GT5 on my old 80gb fat PS3. I first changed laser. No go. Then the control unit (and finding the right one was an ordeal, to put it mildly). Worked for a while. Then YLOD.
Bought new 320gb slim. Works like a charm.

What a ball-ache, this happens intermittently with mine. Putting the PS3 upright worked for me but surely can't be healthy for the PS3 long term. if it fails altogether I'll just buy a PS4....

Well just went and swapped my copy of gt6 as thought it was the disk but nope still fails to load up at all I've got the new super slim 500g top loading ps3 and wont load up on mine at all yet bf4 gta5 and all of my other games work faultless, wth is going on ? I have played gt6 a handfull of times since release and miss my racing anyone have any ideas ??

Try tilting the console up after inserting the disc, strange method, but it actually works well with me.

Yep I think tilting May just work as used get same issues on ps2 games and the tilting works. Could be laser alignment is out a bit on system so should work ;):)

I had freezes from time to time with GT6 (since day 1), but two weeks ago I couldn't even see the GT6 menu because the PS3 always froze at the GT logo loading screen, my PS3 is a 9 months old 160 Gb Slim, I cleaned the lens and got it working again although GT6 still keeps freezing from time to time.

I'm a careful person with my hardware, my old fat PS3 40 Gb lasted for 5 years with no problem at all (until YLOD) and I'm still playing with my G25, I refuse to think the blu-ray is faulty because there's a LOT of people in the same situation, simply Polyphony Digital released the worst version and most harmful GT ever for our PS3's.

I wonder why PD didn't think in make an option to install the whole damn game in the HD, just like the downloadable version, this way, the weak blu-ray wouldn't have any problems.

So I'm now on my 3rd copy of gt6 since it's release date (yes 3rd copy)
At first I thought my ps3 was the issue so tried the game in my brothers ps3 and my dads and game wouldn't load on them either but all 3 ps3's would play every other game we picked instantly.

So I exchanged my old disc for a new one all was fine for 2 months and same thing happens again so did the same thing eliminated the fact it wasn't the ps3 systems or blu ray lasers and it was the actual disc.

I get talking to the manager at the shop were I purchased the game as I wanted a replacement and he tells me I'm not the only one with the issue lots have come back to exchange for new copy's so instead he handed me a gift card of £50 to down load it instead of taking a new disc .

OK So it is not just me.

Varied responses here too, from failing laser to bad discs. One thing in common with me, you eject and reinsert disc 2-8 times every time you want to play it. If it doesn't load straight away, after 10-15 seconds it crunches like it wants to ejectulate the disc, then can still take 2-6 times repeating to get a game launch.

Then it freezes and crashes out 2-4 times EVERY hour. Pretty dismal game experience for me so far :banghead:

Hello, last night i went to pick up my version of GT6 Anniversary Edition, when I got home, turned on my PS3 and put disc inside, the game icon in the "GAME" section won't show up and the disc tray would start making strange noises. I took out GT6 and got inside two other different games, which the PS3 read with no problem. Then i thought that maybe there wasn't enough space for the game to install, so I deleted as much games and data as possible until be left with 42 GBs of free space, then again, I got GT6 inside but happened the same weird thing, did this a couple of times more (Play the disc) and the PS3 finally read it. I downloaded all the Updates and Stuff and played for about 2 Hrs. Straight.

This morning I woke up, and i still get the same problem, the PS3 won't recognize the disc and the strange noises coming out of the disc tray. The game physically is in perfect conditions, not a single scratch or dent.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Hello I ave the same issue with my ps3 and gt6 . People say that gt6 will o ly work on the new ps3 super slim but that's not true I have the new super slim and I'm experiencing the same issue sometimes it works but other times it won't. I just keep loading and unloading the game until it works sometimes I have to do this for well over a hour before it works

Hello I ave the same issue with my ps3 and gt6 . People say that gt6 will o ly work on the new ps3 super slim but that's not true I have the new super slim and I'm experiencing the same issue sometimes it works but other times it won't. I just keep loading and unloading the game until it works sometimes I have to do this for well over a hour before it works
Have you tried other games in your PS3 other than GT6 ?

hey there, i have been haveing the same problem as you guys but im on my 3rd gt6 disc and my 3rd ps3 system because my gt6 wont read.. all 3 are super slim ps3's :/ my current ps3 is a month old my previous ps3 3/4 months old..

hey there, i have been haveing the same problem as you guys but im on my 3rd gt6 disc and my 3rd ps3 system because my gt6 wont read.. all 3 are super slim ps3's :/ my current ps3 is a month old my previous ps3 3/4 months old..
What your saying is you got 3 PS3 super slim consoles and they will not read the GT6 disc, well it may be the super slim consoles is your problem.

If you replace the entire blu-ray drive, you still have to open the case up and swap over the rectangular computer chip from your dead blu-ray drive.

Replacing the laser is one extra (simple) step, and saves over $40 versus buying a new drive.

If you're not buying a brand new PS3, you're most likely getting a laser that's been used and abused. I replaced my original laser that lasted 4 years, with a "new" one that lasted 3 months. Make sure you get a 1 year warranty.

Guys am Facing the similar kind of issue with my PS3 super slim and GT6 when i brought the disk yesterday it was recognized it asked me to update my software to the latest version which i did and after that the disk did't recognize at all even after removing and inserting like 10 to 15 times but all other games work fine are being recognized then i turned off the PS3 completely and then tried it recognized the disk then it asked to enter the details i entered my name and then next step which will actullay load the game menu but this time it was just loading and loading and loading which never opened the game Menu do u think it could be the bad disk am about to exchange the disk today or by tomorrow help me out guys

The issue has to do with your PS3 having trouble reading dual layer discs. Aside from trying to clean the laser, which can be done with a cleaning disc or actually opening the PS3, there are a couple of workarounds (Google search) that involve tilting the PS3 up to a 45-90° angle and inserting/re-inserting the disc until it reads, which worked for awhile for me, however, my similar situation got so bad that that trick would not even work anymore. It also started to affect my Rock Band 3 disc.

I chose not to replace the laser, as I am going to upgrade to PS4 soon, so I opted to purchase the electronic version of GT6 from the Playstation store. There are a couple of threads around that will walk you through installing the electronic version, if you choose that route, but beware, as all updates need to be re-installed after the 15GB game download. The entire installation process will take upwards of 6 hours, depending on your internet speed.

The issue has to do with your PS3 having trouble reading dual layer discs. Aside from trying to clean the laser, which can be done with a cleaning disc or actually opening the PS3, there are a couple of workarounds (Google search) that involve tilting the PS3 up to a 45-90° angle and inserting/re-inserting the disc until it reads, which worked for awhile for me, however, my similar situation got so bad that that trick would not even work anymore. It also started to affect my Rock Band 3 disc.

I chose not to replace the laser, as I am going to upgrade to PS4 soon, so I opted to purchase the electronic version of GT6 from the Playstation store. There are a couple of threads around that will walk you through installing the electronic version, if you choose that route, but beware, as all updates need to be re-installed after the 15GB game download. The entire installation process will take upwards of 6 hours, depending on your internet speed.

Thanks but I feel it's not the issue with my PS3 but it's with the disk so let me try again with a different GT6 disk as the one I have has few scratches I borrowed it from a friend who had already used it for a while

Thanks but I feel it's not the issue with my PS3 but it's with the disk so let me try again with a different GT6 disk as the one I have has few scratches I borrowed it from a friend who had already used it for a while

That would be great, if it does turn out to be just an issue with that specific disc. Good luck! 👍

That would be great, if it does turn out to be just an issue with that specific disc. Good luck! 👍

Coz i even tried tilting the PS3 up to a 45-90° angle which did't work for me after waiting for hell lot of time i pressed the ps button to quit the game after clicking yes it says please wait and the i suddenly get this beep twice and the screen goes blank until i eject the disk and i got scared and tried another another disk before the disk could load it asked me to restart the system as it was not turn off properly last time and then it restores all the things and then restarts why is all this happening

Back