GT7 and Virtual Reality Headsets

Assuming it's in the $300-$500 range and available on GT7, what is your interest level?

• Love it, need it, gotta have it!

Votes: 82 42.5%
  • Love it, but it's a little too expensive to justify for me.

Votes: 36 18.7%
  • Skeptical but I'll keep an open mind and wait for the reviews.

Votes: 47 24.4%
  • Not my thing, not interested.

Votes: 28 14.5%

• Total voters
I'd easily spend 400, maybe even 500 bucks on a VR headset, depending on how good it is. If it supported 4k and 120 fps, I might even stretch as far as 600 bucks.

At 300 bucks with 1920x1080 and 90fps, I wouldn't even think twice about buying it.

I really hope GT7 ends up supporting morpheus. Wouldn't adaptive tesselation also enable the PS4 to smoothly decrease the level of detail of each car? Wouldn't it be possible to let the PS4 do this to whatever degree is necessary to achieve any framerate the developers desire?

It would most likely be 1080P @ 60 fps upscaled to 120. It should be easy enough to do I think...though it would likely have GT6 level graphics. Which would be heaven for me.

It would most likely be 1080P @ 60 fps upscaled to 120. It should be easy enough to do I think...though it would likely have GT6 level graphics. Which would be heaven for me.
Indeed, that is the way it shall be done:
Sony doubled the refresh rate of the previous prototype by creating another frame between two given frames in the 60fps (frames-per-second) output. Developers can still render their games in 60fps, but the headset is able to output them in 120fps.

Sony calls this technique “reprojection.” Sony is planning to release a software development kit (SDK) to output images in 120fps.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2892...us-ps4-headset-with-bigger-faster-screen.html

Considering the fact that in gt5/6, the game only outputs video in 720p when in 3d mode, I believe pd would prefer to drop the quality of the graphics in favour of a solid frame rate if they went for morpheus support. Also, given Gran Turismo is one of if not THE biggest franchise Sony uses to showcase their console's potential, I would expect pd to be supporting morpheus if and when it comes out.

Well the VR business is something I for sure applaud, it looks like Sony is doing this properly and taking the right approach making it look uber stylish and well thought out technically with the OLED screen(s?). However I can't say I can get too exited about it especially for racing where most of us enthusiasts have a wheel and perhaps a full out cockpit built that you would want to see as you're racing.

I just can't befriend myself with the fact of strapping one of these to my head and dissapearing into my own world and not see around myself. It really doesn't make sense for when you have friends in the room with you who want to watch, or are the type of person who kind of multi-task.. ie. having a TV running in the background that you kind of glance up at every now and then or just having that normal living room enviornment with girlfriend and/or kids around it just becomes somewhat weird..

What I really hope is that GT7 will be triple screen configurable.. (I know I know the cost would be off the charts).. but there are people that will look at it as an investment if 3 PS4 would be required, of course some already have the 3 screens from their PC/PS3 setup, so it's basically the cost of a good PC to get this going. If other exclusive Sony games other than GT7 support 3x it obviously be alot more sensible to most. That's the thing that scares me about the headset, I understand that XB1's Forza dropped triple monitor support, probably though the main reason being that these companies are making almost nothing off the console itself, relying on the games and accessories for the juicy profits.. so selling a whole wack of them is likely the reason. I just hope Sony doesn't pull this cause tripples are honestly the ultimate in racing immersion and basically the experience VR headsets are bringing at a bargain.

SO, that's where I stand, I doubt I'll ever buy one of these, if I had it sitting next to me sure there would be times I'd strap it on for hour or two, but overall it's just edges a tad to close to the 'nerd factor'. I unfortunately have to vote "not my thing" even though I'm sure it'll be awesome for what it is..

Well the VR business is something I for sure applaud, it looks like Sony is doing this properly and taking the right approach making it look uber stylish and well thought out technically with the OLED screen(s?). However I can't say I can get too exited about it especially for racing where most of us enthusiasts have a wheel and perhaps a full out cockpit built that you would want to see as you're racing.

I just can't befriend myself with the fact of strapping one of these to my head and dissapearing into my own world and not see around myself. It really doesn't make sense for when you have friends in the room with you who want to watch, or are the type of person who kind of multi-task.. ie. having a TV running in the background that you kind of glance up at every now and then or just having that normal living room enviornment with girlfriend and/or kids around it just becomes somewhat weird..
If you really are worried about everything you mentioned above, VR gaming is not for you.

One thing it'll be great for is racing games. The immersion will be amazing, and the ability to look around will be such a big deal in the racing genre. Suddenly triple screens, fov settings, and arguments about upsides/downsides of cockpit cam will seem old fashioned.

I've seen the videos of assetto corsa and project cars using occulus, and they look amazing. Just the freedom from being able to look around as you normally would when driving makes the videos look so much more realistic!

Sure. In my opinion VR is for those serious GT gamers that already have the Racing Seat, Wheel, pedals and shifters. It's the niche market of pure GT racing enthusiasts that have all this equipment. I myself do not. I lay in my bed and use the PS4 controller and I still have a lot of fun. I simply think if you want VR you have to be a serious GT gamer. Because VR goes one step closer to reality but you need all the other equipment aswell. I myself can't afford all the other equipment and don't really have the room in my bedroom for it. Even so this stuff is for the serious gamers I think. I don't think I'll be buying VR unless I have that other equipment. Sure you don't need the other equipment maybe for VR. But I think it's reasonable to assume if you want the closest experience to reality you are going to find those people buying the racing seat, wheel, shifter, pedals and other accessories, big monitors..

Just reading this thread. Something noone has thought about. Some of the population simply can't use 3D tech. For example none of my mum's side of the family (including me) can use 3D glasses at all and the one time I used a Rift I tried it for ten seconds and was left with a giant headache for the rest of the day. I don't mind people using them but the one thing I fear most in gaming is that eventually they will become the norm, as I will then have to use only old consoles :)

I don't think game makers want to limit their sales by forcing you to use a VR headset any more that we all had to buy into the white elephant of 3D TV just so we could still play the GT5/6.

Just reading this thread. Something noone has thought about. Some of the population simply can't use 3D tech. For example none of my mum's side of the family (including me) can use 3D glasses at all and the one time I used a Rift I tried it for ten seconds and was left with a giant headache for the rest of the day. I don't mind people using them but the one thing I fear most in gaming is that eventually they will become the norm, as I will then have to use only old consoles :)
At release the technology will be more developed than it was pre-launch. The early issues that created much of the nausea were lower frame rates and resolution, both of which will be resolved in the consumer version. Doesn't mean it will work for you, but it should be much better than it was just a year or two ago.

I would prefer Sony made some type of interface device that would allow a three monitor set up, so multiple PS4's would not be needed to achieve it.

It wouldn't make any sense for them to do that since there'd be such a small % of users that would actually want something like that.

I'd rather have the VR headset so I can have the freedom to look around the environment instead of needing to surround myself with monitors/TVs.

I would prefer Sony made some type of interface device that would allow a three monitor set up, so multiple PS4's would not be needed to achieve it.
The three consoles are necessary because there isn't enough punch in a single console to power 3 screens. The console is already pushed to the limit by DriveClub and it's only 30fps, and by PCars with full weather and 45 cars on track at 60fps. Simply not enough in the PS4 to do that twice let alone 3 times.

The three consoles are necessary

Ooooh! OK. There are no other options of other possible developments to achieve three monitors without three PS4 Consoles? Sony can't develop a single 1 Tera Bite unit That would drive Two monitors? Because the PS4 would process the center. Pavilion Makes a 1 Terabyte Computer with 8 Gigs of Ram for $400.00. Since the poll says the Virtual Reality Headset is between $300.00 - $500.00, Because I would never have those things on my face :lol:, seems like it would be hard on the eyes:eek:, I would just stick to the old Single monitor set up:sly:.

Ooooh! OK. There are no other options of other possible developments to achieve three monitors without three PS4 Consoles? Sony can't develop a single 1 Tera Bite unit That would drive Two monitors? Because the PS4 would process the center. Pavilion Makes a 1 Terabyte Computer with 8 Gigs of Ram for $400.00. Since the poll says the Virtual Reality Headset is between $300.00 - $500.00, Because I would never have those things on my face :lol:, seems like it would be hard on the eyes:eek:, I would just stick to the old Single monitor set up:sly:.
The Terabyte is just storage. What the PS4 lacks is enough GPU (video card) and likely CPU power to drive the three monitors with anything other than a lower resolution/detail version of the game. As I noted earlier, it's already sort of maxed out by both PCars and DriveClub and although PD might be better at extracting performance from it, they won't be able to extract 3x the performance from it, which is what would be necessary for triple screens.

Put another way, if the game could play on triple screens at full resolution/detail, it would mean that the single monitor version of the game is nowhere near maxed out visually and PD won't allow that to happen, nor would anyone else.

Put another way, if the game could play on triple screens at full resolution/detail, it would mean that the single monitor version of the game is nowhere near maxed out visually and PD won't allow that to happen, nor would anyone else
Man I have A lot to learn about gaming :lol: Thanx again @Johnnypenso :cheers:.
I'll just stick to the single monitor, OLD SCHOOL RULES, I just couldn't stand having that display right on my face:eek:.

What the PS4 lacks is enough GPU (video card) and likely CPU power to drive the three monitors with anything other than a lower resolution/detail version of the game.
Doesn't matter how well it would run, the single HDMI port is the real limitation.

Shuhei Yoshida (President of Sony Worldwide Studios) wants Gran Turismo 7 to support VR (Virtual Reality).

Do you think it is a possibilty for GT7 to use Virtual Reality and will it be a worthwhile feature?

Knowing GT, it's likely it will use VR.

Will it be a worthwhile feature? Not a hope in hell.

It wouldn't have any use to me , but it would be good to showcase the technology and push GT7 to the front of the pack of console racers.

I'm already losing all of my hope in GT7. Seems like once again they're investing in useless gimmicks that 2% of the players will use just like the GPS Visualizer instead of putting the game back on track with actual features that the players want.

Really don't want to admit it but seems like GT lost it's touch.
It's cool though, can't wait for that sweet VR on my standard car's blacked out interior.

I'm already losing all of my hope in GT7. Seems like once again they're investing in useless gimmicks that 2% of the players will use just like the GPS Visualizer instead of putting the game back on track with actual features that the players want.

Really don't want to admit it but seems like GT lost it's touch.
It's cool though, can't wait for that sweet VR on my standard car's blacked out interior.
Thing is, the guys working on coding for the VR headsets aren't the same guys working on physics, features etc. So long as PD allocates enough resources ($$$) to all departments, it's more than possible to make great strides in both features and VR, and other parts of the process as well.

I'm seriously interested in VR headsets, the sheer amount of immersion that could be had is mouth watering! :drool: However, it will probably be far to expensive for me on PS4.

I doubt the ps4 will have the grunt to run grand turismo 7 with all the eye candy when using that PlayStation VR headset. I think for sure it will be toned down, the question is how much. If graphics get toned down so much it looks like a ps3 game then it will not interest me, for VR I'd choose a PC. VR is something I've been waiting for years so I'd like to experience it in full, it will not be as expensive once you factor in that you are essentially saving on not buying a triple screen set plus their stands.

Great, VR = repeat of the 3D debacle. I just wish they would focus on the game itself and bring it out in the near future rather than wasting development time on gimmicky features that only 5% of people will actually use.

If they have been wasting time developing VR instead of improving the sound and AI I will be pissed

Back