GT7 and Virtual Reality Headsets

Assuming it's in the $300-$500 range and available on GT7, what is your interest level?

• Love it, need it, gotta have it!

Votes: 82 42.5%
  • Love it, but it's a little too expensive to justify for me.

Votes: 36 18.7%
  • Skeptical but I'll keep an open mind and wait for the reviews.

Votes: 47 24.4%
  • Not my thing, not interested.

Votes: 28 14.5%

• Total voters

Johnnypenso

Well known double poster
Premium
Canada
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Johnnypenso
Facebook has made a huge $2 billion gamble in buying VR Headset maker Oculus Rift and it's already compatible with iRacing, Assetto Corsa and other racing games. Sony has their own VR headset Project Morpheus, in the works. With PD's propensity for being at the forefront of in terms of graphics, it's a good bet at least one of these systems will be compatible with GT7.

Is this something you're interested in for GT7 and beyond?

Full screen video

I used to use three screens, and the extra field of view plus the high detail in the middle of the view (lower FoV per screen, basically) allows for much better visual tracking of the car's attitude.

Having an ultra-low-latency head tracking solution on top of that increased spatial detail / gamut would be incredible, and the stereoscopic effect is best (most effectively) applied via an HMD at the moment, so whatever nuance that adds will also be welcome.

I can't wait to see how the market and implementations play out. Certainly, if Morpheus is any good, PD will no doubt offer something.

As far as immersion goes I think that will be unbeatable. The only problem they will face now is resolution, I tried Oculus Rift here in Melbourne and it was awesome but the resolution was very low.

Having a broken neck this just isn't for me. The last thing I need to do is strap something to my head and move it about trying to control a game! I suppose this could be really cool if they get it working properly and it's not crazy expensive, but I never will be able to use one :)

I think GT and other driving/racing games in general aren't ready for VR since the technology is still in it's infancy for this current console generation. Plus there's going to be the feeling of disorientation when you're playing the game with something like the Oculus Rift or Project Morpheus strapped to your face, which would make prolonged sessions very uncomfortable. Not to mention the price for such devices and optimising the games to continue to run at 1080p/60fps through VR headsets.

If AAA developers can get VR technology to work properly for big-name titles like GT, then bring it on, but until then, I don't think racing sims are ready for it.

Recent developments have worked on the disorientation aspect, for the Rift at least. There are now far fewer incidences of vomiting. :D

The technology is really all in the software and implementation (games) now; the hardware, aside from the interconnect (HDMI is limiting), is more or less sorted. Certainly within the next couple of years, anyway; the displays could be made today, it's just that nobody's needed this precise spec before.

Honestly the hardware isn't ready yet in my opinion. Running a game with the next gen graphics GT7 surely will have would be insane on consoles, because PD need to go with 60FPS to avoid motion sickness and render it in stereo mode, which means rendering it twice.

Honestly the hardware isn't ready yet in my opinion. Running a game with the next gen graphics GT7 surely will have would be insane on consoles, because PD need to go with 60FPS to avoid motion sickness and render it in stereo mode, which means rendering it twice.
I'm pretty sure GT5 did stereoscopic rendering at 60 fps.

Obviously visual detail will be affected, but I'm sure we can deal with that, as adults; otherwise, stability will still be an issue, and any choppiness will kill the "VR-ness" entirely. It has to be done right, right out of the box.

When you said the hardware isn't there, I thought you were going to talk about the interconnect, or the display, or the tracking drift or the nausea or something; the stuff that hardware developers have been actively working on and making great strides in (well, except the interconnect: HDMI is all we have for now, I think).

It won't be the revolution many are desperately hoping the masses will believe it is (such that they all buy into it), but it will be a substantial step forwards for those who are already somewhat "dedicated", and it'll be a nice platform to try new things on generally. It should be quite fun in a GT game, too, since it's ideally suited.

I'm pretty sure GT5 did stereoscopic rendering at 60 fps.
I'm sure GT5 didn't had a rock solid framerate and VR needs one, because motion sickness is an huge problem. PD could decrease the graphics to achieve a rock solid framerate, but i don't believe that they will put framerate above everything after seeing what they have done last gen with the resolution, 3D and so on.

I'm sure GT5 didn't had a rock solid framerate and VR needs one, because motion sickness is an huge problem. PD could decrease the graphics to achieve a rock solid framerate, but i don't believe that they will put framerate above everything after seeing what they have done last gen with the resolution, 3D and so on.
True, but GT5 wasn't meant to drive VR headsets.

The very first moment it's running, they'll realise that the framerate needs to be solid, if they didn't already know. There are many ways they can achieve that, and their (partial) use of tessellation probably indicates the route they intend to take: adaptively scalable detail.

Hopefully there won't be any pressure (internal or external) to keep the same detail in "VR mode".
I'd happily take much lower detail if they could throw 120 Hz stereoscopic at the headset. :dopey:
(That's where HDMI starts to get in the way).

So, figured I'd dig this up again. With the 4K debate in full fledge, this one has flown under the radar a bit on GTP. With several VR headsets in development by several companies, at various price levels, I think this feature will be high on Sony's and PD's wish list. I recently got to try it in different racing games (Project CARS, Assetto Corsa) and I can say it's absolutely amazing, though some infancy issues have to be sorted out first. PD already has experience with stereoscopic 3D, so should be easy right? :lol:

I just hope Sony goes the way of supporting more than one headset and not just their own, though I seriously doubt that. That said, if they can deliver one that works wirelessly without lag...

Saw this rise near the top of the list in this forum and though, cool, looks interesting, I'll check it out. Only to find out I started the thread:dunce::dunce:. As I understand it, it's going to take some pretty serious GPU grunt to run the OR and one would assume Morpheus. I wonder if the PS4 has the grunt for that.

It all depends on the resolution and detail you want to run it at of course, and it's very hard to know without actual specs of the Morpheus headset. If you're looking at OR, or the newly announced HTC Vive/ SteamVR, you're looking at at least 1920x1080 (OR) or 2400x1080 (SteamVR). OR has a higher effective resolution because the two images (960x1080x2) don't overlap completely (very smart, because plain 1920x1080 is just not enough, speaking from personal experience with other headsets here). Not sure about the SteamVR. As for the framerate: as opposed to running on a screen, you can't cut corners with framerate on a VR system, because of VR-sickness/nausea. It has to be a solid 60FPS with no dips at the minimum, or preferably a 90FPS (like OR and Vive to cancel that effect.

Last edited:
It all depends on the resolution and detail you want to run it at of course, and it's very hard to know without actual specs of the Morpheus headset. If you're looking at OR, or the newly announced HTC Vive/ SteamVR, you're looking at at least 1920x1080 (OR) or 2400x1080 (SteamVR). OR has a higher effective resolution because the two images (960x1080x2) don't overlap completely (very smart, because plain 1920x1080 is just not enough, speaking from personal experience with other headsets here). Not sure about the SteamVR. As for the framerate: as opposed to running on a screen, you can't cut corners with framerate on a VR system, because of VR-sickness/nausea. It has to be a solid 60FPS with no dips at the minimum, or preferably a 90FPS (like OR and Vive to cancel that effect.
You can bet the devs like PD will be pushing the limits of the PS4 and 1080/60 is what the game will likely be designed around. The jump to 1080/90 is an increase of 50% GPU power, all else being equal, or a similar drop in graphic detail to get 1080/90 output. Be interesting to see how it turns out. I'm not certain even my GTX 970 will be able to handle it:boggled:.

I'm not certain even my GTX 970 will be able to handle it:boggled:.
In pCARS, it can. But depends on the track/car/amount of cars combo. Some combos will require you to drop detail. But that's a bit off-topic here. ;)

I'm really curious what Sony can do with Morpheus, but so far there has been no detail whatsoever.

In pCARS, it can. But depends on the track/car/amount of cars combo. Some combos will require you to drop detail. But that's a bit off-topic here. ;)

I'm really curious what Sony can do with Morpheus, but so far there has been no detail whatsoever.
Point about the 970 was that if it's a struggle with that card, I can't imagine the console GPU being able to keep up either. Of course you can always drop enough detail and polygons to make it work but is that something they are going to want to do just to enable the device for what will likely be a very tiny percentage of players?

If it's designed into the rendering engine from the start, both 4k and VR can be supported in their own separate render pipelines if necessary.

Will the game look the same? No. Does it need to? No.

is that something they are going to want to do just to enable the device for what will likely be a very tiny percentage of players?
*cough* GPS Data Visualizer *cough*

If they can keep the price down and enable enough games for it, surely there will be a market; bigger than the GPS Data Visualizer at least.

Will the game look the same? No. Does it need to? No.
That's a bit of blanket statement. ;) E.g. there's quite a difference between toning down the details or dropping the resolution/polygon count in half up to the point where a PS4 game looks like a PS3 game or worse (same applies to 4K output). I'm all for the first (the immersion of VR is certainly worth the tradeoff IMO), but if it's the latter I'd rather they didn't bother. I played GT5 in 3D and it sucked graphically.

*cough* GPS Data Visualizer *cough*

If they can keep the price down and enable enough games for it, surely there will be a market; bigger than the GPS Data Visualizer at least.
GPS Visualizer is free though, so long as you have an applicable device. The VR headsets are going to be roughly the price of the entire console and I can't see that being very popular in racing games outside the diehards, especially when you want to use a shifter and push buttons not on the wheel. I'll get one for sure though...so long as it is as good an image as my tv and I can pump out 1080/90 with high settings. Hopefully it helps me shave off that elusive last second or two
smiley-rolleyes005.gif
. One can dream...
goodnight.gif

That's a bit of blanket statement. ;) E.g. there's quite a difference between toning down the details or dropping the resolution/polygon count in half up to the point where a PS4 game looks like a PS3 game or worse (same applies to 4K output). I'm all for the first (the immersion of VR is certainly worth the tradeoff IMO), but if it's the latter I'd rather they didn't bother. I played GT5 in 3D and it sucked graphically.
Ah, but it's only a difference of degree. It won't look the same, and people will tolerate a difference - in a fact creating a (particular kind of) difference is the whole point of doing it. What that difference (in "graphical detail") turns out to be, there's no way I can comment.

I didn't think GT5's 3D mode was that bad, but I played in 720(~p) anyway.

The point is that the experience from an HMD, or 120+ Hz output, or 4k display is fundamentally different, and worthwhile being explored. There are different kinds of graphical fidelity, it seems, and most people tend to focus on the pixel candy, whereas I'm more interested in interaction and responsiveness. So I'm not too bothered what the pixels represent, as long as they're piped directly to my brain cell. Most people would appreciate the kind of experience that would provide, given the chance.

On that note, my motivation for wanting an HMD has nothing to do with laptimes, but the stupid grin on my stupid be-goggled face. :D

Hopefully GT7 gets shown today with VR (Wishful thinking): Link
VR will likely use a lot of power to run, hopefully PD can get 1080p60 stereo 3D performance for GT7.

VR at 1080p/60/stereo should use less than what is required for 4K/60FPS and you don't think the latter is an issue... ;)
I'm interested if they can do it for the whole game regarding VR at that performance while 4K 60FPS more like for single car and track but maybe they could also do a Hi-Fi VR mode with single car and track ;).

So Morpheus specs have been revealed:

1920x1080 5.7" display
120Hz refresh rate
Low latency

Couldn't really find it, but is it wireless too?
Yes Kazzy, baby, you know you want to...

Low latency in this case means 18ms; just over 2 frames at 120 Hz. Getting that low on PC will be a real challenge, but it's pretty much necessary, so it'll probably happen.
OLED is good. Doesn't mention wireless or not.

So, GT7 "VR" demo at E3? :P
Which means GT6 Spec II first, right? I know, I'm sorry...

I wouldn't spend more than $300 for it really, but I also don't think it will cost that much. Very excited to see what happens over the coming year as far as Project Morpheus goes.

I'd easily spend 400, maybe even 500 bucks on a VR headset, depending on how good it is. If it supported 4k and 120 fps, I might even stretch as far as 600 bucks.

At 300 bucks with 1920x1080 and 90fps, I wouldn't even think twice about buying it.

I really hope GT7 ends up supporting morpheus. Wouldn't adaptive tesselation also enable the PS4 to smoothly decrease the level of detail of each car? Wouldn't it be possible to let the PS4 do this to whatever degree is necessary to achieve any framerate the developers desire?

Latest Posts

Back