GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 30,938 comments
Hi GOM

It was me that messaged you.

Heat of the moment yes, especially as it was late in the UK at the time of our races.

I apologise for calling it out like I did however, as you know most of the lobby said you should have given the place back in that instance but it doesn't matter in the scheme of things. And I was a bit wound up by the quality of racing I'd had previous to that race, similar to what you described to be honest.

Just want to address a couple of points in your post and these are just my take on things. Not right or wrong just the view I have.

1. It's etiquette to give a place back, not a requirement but it's classy and shows decorum. Especially when you think you "may" have got it wrong, and "wasn't sure"

2. Everyone makes mistakes it's how you deal with them is what separates people. I make a load of mistakes, hell it's racing at the limit of our abilities so every decision, corner, braking zone is knife edge.

3. I knew you were GTP because I read the forum and have followed your journey which has been awesome and enjoyable. As I said I apologise for calling it out sincerely.

4. This was my new US account I was racing on. I am in the UK and race the European servers so wasn't quite used to how the racing goes on the US servers and honestly there is a bit of a difference. Not better or worse but a different approach.

5. I've played the AI and humans for the last 25 years, so get the foibles but also hold humans more accountable than poor AI especially in GT7 which is horrendous.

We are all trying to make sense of the ever evolving situations around us when racing, it's much much much more acute racing in real life cars and bikes.

Just for some context I've raced a lot of GT7 here are the stats from my new US account and my UK account.

4FB78156-7097-4ED4-8B68-31829A6933DD.jpeg

CAEE02B4-4320-48CD-BAE8-DF9A2E945024.jpeg

US account

6427788C-652C-424F-B75E-1B7B67823F08.jpeg

It was heat of the moment frustration due to both how I felt the move was at the time but also the backlash from the prior races where I'd not experienced the best "race craft or sportsmanship" that I know I shouldn't expect in the online Wild West but I do none the less.

Just to be clear I apologise for calling you out in that race, and to be fair you have some ambiguity over what may have happened.

Shakes hands, apologises and moves on and I sincerely hope your progress (and my own) continues to improve.

I am usually an advocate of bump drafting but I dropped to SR B this week as a result. Spent yesterday in the Veyron which can manage without bump draft trying to fix it. Back up to A and hope can get SR S before the day is over.

As others have said DR don't care but SR yup I think that's important to me.

Last edited:
No matter how you dress it up, the Vantage V12 has been my absolute favorite of all the cars I've used in daily races.
View attachment 1226674
View attachment 1226675

... at least, as far as I remember. I'm old, and forget stuff. But right now, this is my favorite... Until I forget about it too... :boggled:
I'm running the Aston at Laguna Seca, too. It has brought me up to DR B quickly on my practice account. Good fun around there, I always like a little (controllable) oversteer.

…and here I thought I was the most analytical nerd about my performance, with my DR predictor and K’ Speed Score pivot table from GTS!! That’s awesome. 👍🏻
LOL, and thanks. I think PD is missing a big opportunity, as far as stats are concerned. It wouldn't take much to make more stats available, and a lot of people would go crazy playing with them. I know I would.
Exactly. There are too many ways to cheat to take it just super seriously. Games should be fun and if you win prizes, congrats!
I agree that getting over-focused on DR can take away the fun. But I also like to have some metric to try and achieve, otherwise it's just driving. That's my opinion of course, and I totally understand having a different view on this.
TAKE ME FROM BEHIND YOU COWARDS
😳
I apologise for calling it out like I did however, as you know most of the lobby said you should have given the place back in that instance but it doesn't matter in the scheme of things. And I was a bit wound up by the quality of racing I'd had previous to that race, similar to what you described to be honest.
Thanks, and I admit I overreacted also. To be completely honest, I think I felt guilty for driving in a way that someone felt they could criticize like that. It's made me rethink how I'll approach situations in the future. I don't know whether it'll change anything or not, but it's totally worth adding to the mix in the "should I or shouldn't I?" question.
It's etiquette to give a place back, not a requirement but it's classy and shows decorum. Especially when you think you "may" have got it wrong, and "wasn't sure"
Of course you're 100% right. Here's what I was actually thinking, and remember that this happens in a second or two, at the most. I initially thought I should wait. But I did that in a race earlier, in a similar place - with the entire pack right there. I got crushed and creamed by everyone, and I also ruined a bunch of other people's races because of the pileup. That was a bad feeling, so my decision was to not do something that gave me a bad feeling again.

In the future, I suppose it would have been good to pull over a little further, where I wouldn't be in the way. Then again, 1) I wasn't sure I binned you, and 2) I didn't even know who I hit! In any case, that's what happened.
I knew you were GTP because I read the forum and have followed your journey which has been awesome and enjoyable. As I said I apologise for calling it out sincerely.
Thanks, and again, I apologize for overreacting on this forum. :)
It was heat of the moment frustration due to both how I felt the move was at the time but also the backlash from the prior races where I'd not experienced the best "race craft or sportsmanship" that I know I shouldn't expect in the online Wild West but I do none the less.
I 100% understand that, and it happens to me a lot. I let things build up and then something pushes me over the top. It's why I almost never participate in the chat - I just end up getting myself in trouble.
Shakes hands, apologises and moves on and I sincerely hope your progress (and my own) continues to improve.
And of course this is why we love this forum. We can tussle around like siblings, then "kiss and make up" afterwords, with no hard feelings. Which doesn't mean I don't still feel partly guilty, but what's life without learning from our experiences? Thanks again for your post, and cheers! :cheers:

They need dynamic weather at all tracks, this is way too good to only have at a handful of tracks.
I went and entered a race C last night and went for inters as all I was hearing about it raining during the race, Stayed beautiful blues skies all race lol, Chose the Veyron and was slow on inters but still passing folks on the mulsanne straight , Seemed everytime I passed a crasher they just quit so was still last but upto 10th and come across a viper and go for the pass down the straight, He straight away bashes me too the side and when I get back on track he spins me out, why do these idiots do everything they can too stop being passed and none of it is legal racing, just down right dirty, cars weaving allover the place grr, these clowns need to be reported, i might be because I called him a Dirty T_ssPot though

LOL, and thanks. I think PD is missing a big opportunity, as far as stats are concerned. It wouldn't take much to make more stats available, and a lot of people would go crazy playing with them. I know I would.
I was really hopeful they would just pay @Milouse and integrate K' Speed Scoring for example. Instead, there is less data available and less transparency in GT7 compared to GT6.

For example, there is no longer a page to see your performance in Sport events by track... why?! I'd like to see that.

And the feature that tracks your lap times by car, so that when you are time trialing your HUD shows best lap/sectors for cars you own, which gives you a reference to work with, gone...

They are not only missing out, they are stepping backwards toward gaming instead of sim-ing.

I agree 1000%, there's SO MUCH low hanging fruit in this game. Not additional content just low hanging fruit.

Top of my head..........

• Fix the Ai
  • Way more stats
  • Proper timing screen
  • Fix the hopelessly laggy multiplayer lobbies (my god this is beyond bad)
  • Fix the BOP
So easy, this shouldn't take a lot of work but PD just keeps adding random cars.

Last edited:
There is no way to report bad/ dirty racers to PD, and we are forbidden to report them by name here, so what the hell can we do?

There is no way to report bad/ dirty racers to PD, and we are forbidden to report them by name here, so what the hell can we do?

Message them like I do, then crack on and do the next race? It's not like it's a championship with hundreds of millions riding on it. It's gamers playing a game and some are bad some are good.

Had another lucky race C, witnessed by @Leon Kowalski (who was in disguise), when the warm up showed really heavy rain falling, and I just had time to switch to IM tyres.

Started P4, had a couple of people pass me down Mulsanne straight but, sure enough all but P1 (who also had some type of wet tyre on) went straight into the gravel at the end of the straight!

I followed P1 for a couple of wet laps, but we started to be pulled in as the track dried - 3 cars passed me and then, at the start of the last lap, they caught up with P1. I wasn't close enough to see what happened, but he ended up in the gravel with a 4.5 second penalty!

Then, on the run up from Arnage, P2 and P3 had a bit of a falling out, and I sailed past them for a welcome P2!

I agree 1000%, there's SO MUCH low hanging fruit in this game. Not additional content just low hanging fruit.

Top of my head..........

• Fix the Ai
  • Way more stats
  • Proper timing screen
  • Fix the hopelessly laggy multiplayer lobbies (my god this is beyond bad)
  • Fix the BOP
So easy, this shouldn't take a lot of work but PD just keeps adding random cars.
I can't disagree that it would be nice if they fixed everything on your list!

However, most of those are not "low hanging fruit". Low hanging fruit is something that can be done easily, such as:
  • Stop making us wait once everyone has finished (that might be what you meant by "Proper timing screen"). I consider this low hanging fruit because the game used to do this, and now it doesn't.
Exposing more stats shouldn't be hard, but it's probably not simple either, because it affects the UI. The rest, well, they've been kind-of working on them and haven't solved the issues yet, so my guess is that it isn't easy.

I guess what I'm saying is, we shouldn't hold our breath. :lol:

They don't have to expose it in game, doing it on a website would be a big step forward

Just a question as the stats seem fairly straight forward for me, what stats would change things for your guys?

It also falls in to that fallacy of measuring the wrong things affects the outcome like DR for example. Your DR will increase with constant competitive pace race wins just accelerate it, but it's a fallacy in that you end up in rankings that you can't compete in.

What stats do you need to understand to make you a better and safer racer?

Go quick, be respectful and don't try to win every race and settle where you settle?

The numbers are essentially useless as they lack zero context

Glad it's Sunday; keen to try something new. Race B was not kind to me today. Race 1, started 3rd, had a clean race but ended up 5th. Race 2, started 2nd, punted off on T1, first lap, race destroyed and my flow ruined so I just existed early. Race 3, started 3rd, but dropped to 5th on T1 (don't know how 4th and 5th got that turn so fast) but climbed back to 4th at T8 on lap 2. 5th was beside me but behind entering corkscrew, but I had the racing line. Instead of yielding they pushed my rear to the left, rotating me into the gravel. Race ruined again.

I kinda of like Laguna for the challenge but hate the racing there.

I then had to give up as my son wanted to play The Last of Us on the console. LOL.

Last edited:
Did my usual Race B Sunday quick test for next week (factory standard cars with matching tire compounds and 2 laps per car - in this case, RM) and...

I predict an Alfa or GTR make race (unless BOP drastically changes car performances). Also, I only realized after testing that the GTR needed an oil change and body rigidity restoration. But still...

Ignore the top times as that was just me testing setups months ago for single player races 🙂

Attachments

• 185ff59111910-screenshotUrl.jpg
    185ff59111910-screenshotUrl.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

I agree that getting over-focused on DR can take away the fun. But I also like to have some metric to try and achieve, otherwise it's just driving. That's my opinion of course, and I totally understand having a different view on this.

😳

Thanks, and I admit I overreacted also. To be completely honest, I think I felt guilty for driving in a way that someone felt they could criticize like that. It's made me rethink how I'll approach situations in the future. I don't know whether it'll change anything or not, but it's totally worth adding to the mix in the "should I or shouldn't I?" question.

Of course you're 100% right. Here's what I was actually thinking, and remember that this happens in a second or two, at the most. I initially thought I should wait. But I did that in a race earlier, in a similar place - with the entire pack right there. I got crushed and creamed by everyone, and I also ruined a bunch of other people's races because of the pileup. That was a bad feeling, so my decision was to not do something that gave me a bad feeling again.

In the future, I suppose it would have been good to pull over a little further, where I wouldn't be in the way. Then again, 1) I wasn't sure I binned you, and 2) I didn't even know who I hit! In any case, that's what happened.

Thanks, and again, I apologize for overreacting on this forum. :)

I 100% understand that, and it happens to me a lot. I let things build up and then something pushes me over the top. It's why I almost never participate in the chat - I just end up getting myself in trouble.

And of course this is why we love this forum. We can tussle around like siblings, then "kiss and make up" afterwords, with no hard feelings. Which doesn't mean I don't still feel partly guilty, but what's life without learning from our experiences? Thanks again for your post, and cheers! :cheers:
there needs to be more of this in general, well played Gents.. 👊🍻
Race on..! 🏎️🏎️

so what the hell can we do?
start a new race & move on.. its all you can do 😉

Just a question as the stats seem fairly straight forward for me, what stats would change things for your guys?

It also falls in to that fallacy of measuring the wrong things affects the outcome like DR for example. Your DR will increase with constant competitive pace race wins just accelerate it, but it's a fallacy in that you end up in rankings that you can't compete in.

Go quick, be respectful and don't try to win every race and settle where you settle?

No point in trying to be argumentive.

I enjoyed the challenge of increasing my K’ speed score. I like knowing that my finishing position is x.x spots better than my starting position. I like knowing which tracks I’ve been most successful at in Sport mode races. I’d like to have my fastest lap times stored in the onboard telemetry so I can try to improve sector by sector when I’m running FP, like it used to be.

The “just have fun” trope and “advice” on how to enjoy the game… save it. It’s a bit condescending, or worse.

I race as respectfully and fairly as anyone in the game. Nothing to do with this discussion. And “settling” for what happens isn’t exactly in the spirit of competition or self improvement.

Had another lucky race C, witnessed by @Leon Kowalski (who was in disguise), when the warm up showed really heavy rain falling, and I just had time to switch to IM tyres.

Started P4, had a couple of people pass me down Mulsanne straight but, sure enough all but P1 (who also had some type of wet tyre on) went straight into the gravel at the end of the straight!

I followed P1 for a couple of wet laps, but we started to be pulled in as the track dried - 3 cars passed me and then, at the start of the last lap, they caught up with P1. I wasn't close enough to see what happened, but he ended up in the gravel with a 4.5 second penalty!

Then, on the run up from Arnage, P2 and P3 had a bit of a falling out, and I sailed past them for a welcome P2!
Hey mate, I was watching the scoreboard all the time rooting for you.🍻

I had enough time for that because I had completely messed up and was far behind the action.

Today was the first time I went to race C this week, and admittedly I'm disappointed in different ways:

1. by myself. I ran seven or eight races on my practice account, with a not-so-great quali time, not taking a race off in between to improve it. Best result was a P4, but most races saw me ending up way behind.

2. by the other racers. Most of them didn't understand how to approach this. The whole afternoon there were exactly three (!) instances where another driver built a bump draft train with me. And all those were then blown up by someone playing bowling ball at the next corner.
There were even two instances when the guy in front of me, while driving alone three or four seconds behind the top group, was weaving wildly left and right to get me out of his slipstream...🤣

3. by PD. No rain. Nada. In all races except the one with @bone_tone .

Aaand the track limit penalties are a bit overboard, imho. I got a lot of them. Okay, that's mostly on me, but a lot of them came when I took evasive action to avoid punting other drivers who where in trouble in corners or braking zones.

In aggregate with the bit of bump drafting I tried, that brought my SR down from A to C. I'm just happy that I didn't do all that on my main account 😅.

Hey mate, I was watching the scoreboard all the time rooting for you.🍻

I had enough time for that because I had completely messed up and was far behind the action.

Today was the first time I went to race C this week, and admittedly I'm disappointed in different ways:

1. by myself. I ran seven or eight races on my practice account, with a not-so-great quali time, not taking a race off in between to improve it. Best result was a P4, but most races saw me ending up way behind.

2. by the other racers. Most of them didn't understand how to approach this. The whole afternoon there were exactly three (!) instances where another driver built a bump draft train with me. And all those were then blown up by someone playing bowling ball at the next corner.
There were even two instances when the guy in front of me, while driving alone three or four seconds behind the top group, was weaving wildly left and right to get me out of his slipstream...🤣

3. by PD. No rain. Nada. In all races except the one with @bone_tone .

Aaand the track limit penalties are a bit overboard, imho. I got a lot of them. Okay, that's mostly on me, but a lot of them came when I took evasive action to avoid punting other drivers who where in trouble in corners or braking zones.

In aggregate with the bit of bump drafting I tried, that brought my SR down from A to C. I'm just happy that I didn't do all that on my main account 😅.
Blew my mind when people chose to race down the Mulsanne straight instead of working together. You could pull 2+ seconds on people with a proper bump drafting train.

And if you’re really smart you actually lift off after Tetre Rouge, if you are more than 0.6 sec behind people ahead. Especially if more than a second behind the guy ahead. Back up your car to the bump draft. The ease off after the first few bumps and you can increase the energy in the train to go even faster. Just mashing the gas without lifting isn’t as fast as going slower, in a number of ways.

Sometimes you even have to risk the potential to allow a guy behind to join you in the lead pack but it can be worth it compared to just holding onto the lead pack yourself.

I earned podiums in more than half my races at Race C this week and in many cases it was a result of being tactical like that. Time your last move right, such as playing the strongest bump to make a clean pass into the Mulsanne turn, and you can really place well in that race from nearly any starting position.

No point in trying to be argumentive.

I enjoyed the challenge of increasing my K’ speed score. I like knowing that my finishing position is x.x spots better than my starting position. I like knowing which tracks I’ve been most successful at in Sport mode races. I’d like to have my fastest lap times stored in the onboard telemetry so I can try to improve sector by sector when I’m running FP, like it used to be.

The “just have fun” trope and “advice” on how to enjoy the game… save it. It’s a bit condescending, or worse.

I race as respectfully and fairly as anyone in the game. Nothing to do with this discussion. And “settling” for what happens isn’t exactly in the spirit of competition or self improvement.

I wasn't being argumentative?

I also want to understand what metrics you feel will improve over the ones that the game actually measures you by?

You don't need to be contrite defending a position I didn't even question or challenge.

Edit: grammar

Attachments

• AD630849-D845-49DE-A091-95E1A795BBAA.jpeg
    AD630849-D845-49DE-A091-95E1A795BBAA.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Did you seriously just walk into the most competitive thread on this forum and tell us to "don't try to win every race and settle where you settle?"

What do you know that we don't that makes stats (sorry "numbers") "essentially useless?" Stats are incredibly useful if you know how to use them.

Currently, you can only get stats for a fastest combined lap based on fastest sector times for an individual practice session once you exit that session. It would be nice if the game retained those sector times. It could then give me an overall best combined sectors time. Let's say I get a total of 1.20.888 at RBR one session. but I get a 1.20.766 in a second session. But the first and third sectors are so different that if the sessions were combined it could have been a 1.20.599. I would never know to aim for a 1.20.5 because I'm never presented with that information. Next session I land a 1.20.750 and decide thats the best I'll get... see now?

Did you seriously just walk into the most competitive thread on this forum and tell us to "don't try to win every race and settle where you settle?"

What do you know that we don't that makes stats (sorry "numbers") "essentially useless?" Stats are incredibly useful if you know how to use them.

Currently, you can only get stats for a fastest combined lap based on fastest sector times for an individual practice session once you exit that session. It would be nice if the game retained those sector times. It could then give me an overall best combined sectors time. Let's say I get a total of 1.20.888 at RBR one session. but I get a 1.20.766 in a second session. But the first and third sectors are so different that if the sessions were combined it could have been a 1.20.599. I would never know to aim for a 1.20.5 because I'm never presented with that information. Next session I land a 1.20.750 and decide thats the best I'll get... see now?

Woah, 2 different things there mate

Persistent time trial vs what that means in laggy lobbies with vastly random ability and driving styles as is the way of "daily races"

My flippant and passing point was that you can't win all the races and no amount of sector times helps you in an actual race where braking points alter, traffic is around you and well PD lag. So just take what I asked in a friendly manner "what stats are you guys looking for" as exactly that. Anything else you read in to it is being overly defensive of a position I didn't challenge or question.

Go as fast as you can in each race, but remember it's not a time trial when there are 15 other variables on the track with you trying their hardest to be in the position you are.

This week was tough. Focused on Le Mans cos I'm not a fan of Laguna Seca. Really liked the dynamic weather but feel like the occasional rain in should have lasted longer than 1 lap max. Changed to inters a couple of times the whole week, only once it being the right decision; heavy rain and 2 laps to go, I'm the only one pitting. After the pitstop I was a full minute behind the rest but as everyone else was crawling, or mowing the lawn, I passed the entire field and ended up winning by a fraction of a second. Not many victories this week. Atleast learned how to bump draft..

Next week is going to be different. Got your Silvias ready? Interesting to see what kind of lap times people pull off with their builds.

Last edited:
Back