GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 31,438 comments
did a few races after work today with mixed results, never better than 5 place finish though. I still don't understand this track but I am at least getting more consistent and confident with it. I had a couple races with laps that were close to 32's so I went back for some qt laps after I was done with racing and managed to put a 32.167 down in the mustang. can't seem to drop tc1 but it is definitely doing a lot more work than I like. at Bathurst a few weeks ago it almost never came on for me other than a tiny bit when I actually needed it

ghost is shared gtp6

And when you reach 66, you can't even remember... um, what were we talking about?
All the oldheads told me when I was growing up that drugs and alcohol would make me lose my memory. Pretty sure they just said that b/c they were old.

Had a great race B a few minutes ago. My time put me on Pole. The Porsche behind me tried doing a divebomb into T1 but I had the brakes and rearview mirror on so dodged it. Pulled about a half second or so gap into the long triple left and by the time I exited that I had a 2+ second lead. Won by 12 seconds.

When the BRZ has clean air and can pick its line it is so amazingly buttery smooth through the corners (except the hairpin all my homies hate hairpins) but when I'm stuck in traffic omg it's a nightmare. I can't make time b/c the car ahead is slow in the corners and it's all I can do to pray and draft down the straights.

Welp finally got my shipping notice for the Ricmotech load cell for G29. Was between the Ricmotech/PSVR2 or the Logitech Pro and couldn't look over the glowing reviews for the VR experience. Will install the load cell on Friday and see what difference if any I notice on Dragon Trail. Maybe it'll get me into to 1:31s LOL

Hi @TechnoIsLove

I tried some more cars and, thanks to @NevilleNobody I found out:

You are using the wrong car.

E7977EF1-4E77-4FDC-80B2-49088B1614BD.jpeg

:D

Yes, the Lancer is quite good around that track. It drives much nicer than it looks:

D389BBCE-785E-4003-90E8-D0F3F9C92C7C.jpeg

Only the gearing feels a bit awkward at times...

Today has been pretty crappy, for the most part. I've had some things going on that have made my stomach ache and my jaw clench. But then... well, let's just say the sun came out.

I'm not sure this is as impressive as @hollowkatt's 12 second victory, but to me, it's one of the best races I've ever driven, and one of the most satisfying victories, especially considering the day I've had.

To start with, the lobby was much more to my liking than the last one:
1675897627912.png

As you can see, I started pole. I never lost it. I had someone within a half second to 2 seconds behind me the entire race. Neither of us made any big mistakes, which for me hasn't been the case in a long time. But this time, no tire in the grass, no overshooting a corner, no missed shifts.

And, get this: I was really consistent through the hairpin before the long straight in the back, making great time (for me) through it. I never lost time to the guy behind me on that hairpin, which is unbelievable because that turn has been my nemesis.

I can't remember the last time I've been this nervous in a race, through the entire race. But every time my mind started to wander to the possibility of winning, I forced it back to the track where it belonged.

Check out these lap times. This is about as consistent as I can get:
1675897953830.png

Victory has never felt sweeter.
1675898279991.png

The lobby matching has to be done by QT as why else am I constantly being put against DR B drivers with less than SR S ratings?

Did two races. First had this lobby. Weird that C/S constantly gets paired with B/B drivers.
IMG_6239.JPG

That was a horrible race. Throughout the first lap I was being used as a bumper car... Ugh. Must admit, I punted a couple as well. I felt bad for a bit until I realized all the abused I'd taken while trying to drive clean. Dropped down to 12 but managed to climb back up to finish 8th. Amazingly my DR pts increased!

Then jumped on the next race and had much the same lobby but even worse. I was the only C drive in the top 12.
IMG_6237.JPG

Start 5th again and this was much cleaner. I was pretty much holding a top 6 position (not sure exactly where - haven't checked the replay) when I spun out at the hairpin. I lost about 20 seconds on that and that put me down to 11th or 12th. Either I stayed in 11th or claimed a spot but I ended up finishing in 11th with a clean bonus. I was the only C drive in the top 12.. Alas I lost more pts than I gained in the prior race so down for the session..
IMG_6235.JPG

Perhaps I'll get a race with mostly C drivers later tonight..

Last edited:
Was between the Ricmotech/PSVR2 or the Logitech Pro and couldn't look over the glowing reviews for the VR experience.
Probably a good call. I was looking at the Pro but it appears quite buggy at the moment on the Pro thread and the pedals are out of stock and without compatible pedals it's pretty useless on the PS5.

Today has been pretty crappy, for the most part. I've had some things going on that have made my stomach ache and my jaw clench. But then... well, let's just say the sun came out.

I'm not sure this is as impressive as @hollowkatt's 12 second victory, but to me, it's one of the best races I've ever driven, and one of the most satisfying victories, especially considering the day I've had.

To start with, the lobby was much more to my liking than the last one:
View attachment 1229267

As you can see, I started pole. I never lost it. I had someone within a half second to 2 seconds behind me the entire race. Neither of us made any big mistakes, which for me hasn't been the case in a long time. But this time, no tire in the grass, no overshooting a corner, no missed shifts.

And, get this: I was really consistent through the hairpin before the long straight in the back, making great time (for me) through it. I never lost time to the guy behind me on that hairpin, which is unbelievable because that turn has been my nemesis.

I can't remember the last time I've been this nervous in a race, through the entire race. But every time my mind started to wander to the possibility of winning, I forced it back to the track where it belonged.

Check out these lap times. This is about as consistent as I can get:
View attachment 1229268

Victory has never felt sweeter.
View attachment 1229271
That's awesome consistency! Gotta love getting into a groove like that and just grinding out laps. Congrats on the win!

I tried the RX-Vision but could not get on with it. Switched back to the 911 and shaved some more thousandths of my QT. I joined the next Race B and the field was mostly Cs with the odd B and SR in the S to C range. The loan Brazilian was a C again. What is it with these match ups? LOL. I started P3 but the opening turn was a bit chaotic and somehow a slight braking check caused my car to veer violently into the barrier. That and the 1.5 second penalty dropped me down to 8th from 3rd. Once I managed to extricate myself from the rabble I worked to catch up.. Ended in P5 but still a pts victory.

View attachment 1229086

If I could get a couple more like that I might get to DR B... There, now I jinxed myself. 🤦‍♂️
Congrats! Hey I am gonna send you a friend request because i am a B/S driver.... and btw where did you find that graph?

At race C, I decided to switch up the strategy, and start with hard tires, unlike the other fellas starting up front.
Everything was okay, then I guess someone spun out.
Anyhow, I got a 3 second yellow flag penalty. The whole plan is out the window.
Can anyone name one good reason for it to exist in a sim racing game?
It may be the worst idea that PD has had. Nobody's life is at risk. :irked:

At race C, I decided to switch up the strategy, and start with hard tires, unlike the other fellas starting up front.

This has gotta be the unluckiest yellow flag penalty I've ever seen. You literally pass him on the timings on the same frame of the video that the yellow flag warning disappears.

Margins must have been insanely tight on that one.

Two more races for me tonight. I got my qualifying time down to a 1:17.9XX which is a big improvement over yesterday. I might be able to get a few more tenths off, but I might be at my limit with my skill level on this track. Even with my new time, I'm in the big boy lobbies again all the way in the back. I saw that @sturk0167 was in the lobby and said hello. We seem to be in a bunch of races together recently and it's always nice to race with members here. Even when I'm all the way in the back of the grid.

Race 1 has me P12 and I go off track on my own 3 times into the sand. Twice on the exit of the final turn, and somehow on the exit of turn 6. I think I thought I had more track to work with. Not my finest outing and I finish P13 in the end.

Race 2 has me P14 on the grid and I manage to hold off and defend my position from an A+ driver for the first 7.5 laps. I haven't defended a position that hard in a long time. I hope I didn't throw any blocks in those laps, but I was clean from what I remember. I then finish P12 as I have no pace compared to the rest of the lobby.

Kind of a bummer of a night for me being in the stacked lobbies. The off tracks in race 1 killed me and like I said, my pace is terrible. I was running 1:19 laps which isn't good enough for the competition I was against. That might be fine for an all B lobby however. It's still a fun race for me even with my struggles tonight. If I'm in another high rank lobby tomorrow I'll be done for the week. It's not fun when I'm getting left behind each race.

Probably a good call. I was looking at the Pro but it appears quite buggy at the moment on the Pro thread and the pedals are out of stock and without compatible pedals it's pretty useless on the PS5.

Another issue for me is that there's no shifter. Have a shifter I like to use to cruise the Ring in normal cars and its not possible. The DD Pro has also had complaints about the FFB not being too detailed. Will just wait it out for either company to flesh out their stuff.

I tried the RX-Vision but could not get on with it. Switched back to the 911 and shaved some more thousandths of my QT. I joined the next Race B and the field was mostly Cs with the odd B and SR in the S to C range. The loan Brazilian was a C again. What is it with these match ups? LOL. I started P3 but the opening turn was a bit chaotic and somehow a slight braking check caused my car to veer violently into the barrier. That and the 1.5 second penalty dropped me down to 8th from 3rd. Once I managed to extricate myself from the rabble I worked to catch up.. Ended in P5 but still a pts victory.

View attachment 1229086

If I could get a couple more like that I might get to DR B... There, now I jinxed myself. 🤦‍♂️
Congrats! Hey I am gonna send you a friend request..... and btw where did you find that gtaph?

....you don't say. Lol.
Lmfao

Welp finally got my shipping notice for the Ricmotech load cell for G29. Was between the Ricmotech/PSVR2 or the Logitech Pro and couldn't look over the glowing reviews for the VR experience. Will install the load cell on Friday and see what difference if any I notice on Dragon Trail. Maybe it'll get me into to 1:31s LOL
What is a load cell?

They are ridiculous, I remember a flag coming out when I was alongaide someone going for the pass.. well what do we do then!? I braked to see if I could avoid it but no I must have been an inch ahead I guess :rolleyes:

Also seen it where the yellow drops but two cars have spun ahead, I pass both and get the penalty for overtaking. Well which one was it, how the hell am I meant to know, and I'm supposed to just stop and wait?!

Thankfully it's not been for a while but when it happens it is infuriating as its totally avoidable and unnecessary in the game.

Tonight I graduated from DR C to DR B. Woohoo!

Did two more race B. The first I started in P2 (in a field with a lot of Bs) and towards the end, last lap, slipped one spot to finish 3rd. Super clean race and drama free.
IMG_6244.jpeg

Final result.
IMG_6243.jpeg

Race two, I started on pole and this grid was more mixed.
IMG_6242.jpeg

I had a good start and was pulling away from the field when I messed up the hairpin allowing the field to catch up. Up the straight 2nd spot was bumping me and eventually took himself out, but the momentum also sent me off track, dropping me to 5th. At the end of lap 1, another car went wide and I was able to move back to 4th. Then it was clean until last lap. Still in 4th, 5th place dove on the inside of the hairpin and used me a bit as a brake. I chased down into the right, left, right at the end of the straight. Going in, I was a bit late on braking a bumped them, sending then off track, for me to jump back to 4th and finish the race there. I was not doing anything deliberate but I was aiming to hold the inside line...

IMG_6241.jpeg

A bit of friendly racing bumping between the two of us or was it a bit of karma and subconscious payback for bumping me at the hairpin? What you think?

Last edited:
Two of these things are not like the other:
View attachment 1229233

When that happens to me, I just keep racing without paying attention to the time. Sort of zone out a little. Before you know it, you'll pass it and laugh. Of course, that only works for me when I'm actually capable of running those times, which I'm not right now. Not sure why though.
I had the same thing happen to me last night. Did 3 races with all B/S drivers in the lobby. My last race of the night the game put me and one other B/S driver in an mixed A+ & A lobby. I started 14th and finished 10th.

On another note, I did manage to get a win last night. Been a while since my last trip to the top of the podium and definitely my first win as a B/S driver. Had P2 nipping at my heals for the last 3 laps too. Of course I forgot to save the replay. Oh well.

Attachments

• D97A6907-0E7F-4B2D-B608-0C98A2103520.jpeg
    D97A6907-0E7F-4B2D-B608-0C98A2103520.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 7
Because my qualm is people using the fact that it's the "wrong way" to justify a dislike for the layout.
Nobody's is saying the track is the wrong way around. It's a case of preferring the flow of one direction over the other.

Will it is a simulator at the end of the day and those are part of racing rules. You were unlucky here with the timing of it.

Racing Dragon Trail, whether the Gardens or Seaside, whether in normal or reverse, is always fun for me. Two really great courses, that seem to invite very good, hard racing. And they both seem to suit my style, as I've won more there than other tracks, I think.

Even notched a couple of wins in some competitive rooms this week, sometimes being matched with world series finalists and some popular streamers. Was taken out by one, in a really tough, hard race, but managed a podium finish nonetheless.

I don't have the fastest pace out there, especially when I get matched in A+ lobbies. While my better results usually come from racecraft, avoiding trouble, and being consistent, at DTG and Seaside I seem to be on the pace to race hard. I think there is also a lot of skill in racing close with people at max pace, without taking each other out, and then being ready when there's a bobble. I may post some videos later, of what I think is the best fun in GT... hard, close racing at the front, at 9.5/10 speed, pushing every corner, but not taking the other guy out... even if he makes a mistake (which people seem to think is ok... as if running a qualifying lap every lap, and running over someone if they have the slightest hiccup is ok).

A good example of the fun racing was in Z28's stream this week. We were pushing it hard at the front. The guy ahead of me was a little out of shape through the middle section, but I didn't take him out. Unfortunately I wasn't granted the same when he tank-slapped it into the hairpin braking zone, but in any case it's fun when you go against fast guys and finish top-5.

the good stuff begins around 1:11:

(Also: I was wondering if the track grip changes with sun/shadow in these races, because I definitely felt a little difference from time to time in Race B, and Z28 mentions it, too.)

IMG_9326.JPG

(one of two in a row, this one a grand slam with pole/fastest lap/CRB... flag-to-flag)

Last edited:
What an unintended and frustrating duel I just ended up in in Race C with another brit.

He starts behind me in the Corvette and forces a pass while I was easing off to stay in traffic with those ahead. I manage to jump back past and create a small gap, and then being a clean driver slows me down ahead again and he catches back up and passes.

He's slow for the ranking, I can constantly catch him even from a few seconds back after going off track for a moment but it seems like every time I do, I make a mistake, wheel in the sand, just go a little too far into the turn, give him space ahead again.

And these aren't overtaking attempts It's just the point where I settle in behind and begin to think about when to go for it, I end up doing something silly. Can't understand it, not like me at all!

End of the race comes and I'm .3 back from him maybe, and he gets a 1 minute penalty :lol: Gives me a top 5 spot and a feeling of relief!
I find if I catch up to the car in front of me, I have a tendency to fixate on the rear bumper of that car and end up following their lines through the turns. This is problematic as their lines are different from my normal lines on the track. This generally leads to me running wide through the exits of turns as I'm carrying too much speed for this line vs my usual driving line. I have to actively tell myself to not focus on the car in front of me but look up the track and pretend like the car isn't even there. This keeps me running my race and not falling in to theirs.
This may be too obvious, but are you getting caught in their draft and losing grip? That always seems to be what gets me when I’m too close to the car ahead: I forget to add braking distance and change my lines.

Tried the FT1, always feels good this car and much like the3 mclaren, the times are just not there. So tried the Vantage again, this time gave TC1 a crack. Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan cannot break a 33 with it, the TC is insane, how grumpy did a 32 is beyond me. Turned TC off and ran a 32 flat but it feels sketchy.

I have qualified well above my true pace and I am getting molested in the races. Regularly starting P6ish with mostly A+ guys ahead of me but I can't run with them and the pack is all over me. I am running basically 33 flat in race, odd 32, and a lot of guys are a good half second up on that so I just try to survive.

Being eaten ALIVE on the fast esses mid lap, guys are taking it flat and I just CANNOT do it and lose a solid 4 tenths. I cannot get the car wide enough tot he right after the first right hander (after the 4 apex left) and this compromises my line into the flat left hander and I have to lift which sees the guy in front just vanish. On the flip side, i am very fast through the last sector.

Back