GT7 experience better with PSVR2 or TV?

• Thread starter digitalic
  • 54 comments
My worry now is that Sony don't properly support PSVR2. I've no interest in forking out for a decent PC to go sim racing but without continued support, I'm worried that GT8 and future racing games won't have PSVR functionality. I simply can't go back from VR now, it's going to get awfully expensive if Sony don't help me out...
Just read the next iteration of ACC(summer ‘24) has dropped unreal engine, for an in house one. Hopefully, this is due to unreal being poor at VR, and they get it. Have to admit, as we close in on the one year mark, it is surprising that Sony (pd) haven’t, at least updated the hud for us. They have to get that this has become a ride or die (😝) situation for a solid chunk of drivers.

Re: vr in general. I continue to be surprised that nobody has put out a multidirectional treadmill yet. Once that happens, i’d love to try a mmo or fps, till then im more than happy to keep driving.

multidirectional treadmill yet
There has been one shown back during Battlefield 3 era:
1701436864397.png

Though this particular one requires quite a lot of space and setup and money.
And it is not for the everyday nerd to be shot at by paintball guns whenever the game registers a hit onto your avatar ;)

I continue to be surprised that nobody has put out a multidirectional treadmill yet. Once that happens, i’d love to try a mmo or fps, till then im more than happy to keep driving.
There is one. :)

There has been one shown back during Battlefield 3 era:
View attachment 1308096
Though this particular one requires quite a lot of space and setup and money.
And it is not for the everyday nerd to be shot at by paintball guns whenever the game registers a hit onto your avatar ;)
Sweeeeeet!
There is one. :)

Yaya, saw that one too. Think its currently bundled with pimax or something.

But ya, I’d buy that in a heartbeat if it were ps5 compatible. I keep thinking about old school raiding mechanice(eq/wow) in vr and how much of a blast it would be. So many possibilities.

:crazy: back from the dead :crazy:

one thing I didn't see mentioned is PSVR2 resolution vs 4K resolution.

If you get the right sized screen (screen size and screen distance from viewer), you can really get the equivalent of 20/20 vision on the screen. You can see objects in the distance fairly clearly - and for replays, a screen will look a lot better than PSVR2 with its limited screen resolution (see below). Most people chose the bumper cam, which is great for racing, but completely obscures the car on which the bumper cam is mounted.

With PSVR2, the best you'll get is something like 60/20 vision - this is because the headset displays about 19 lines per degree (think 2040 lines in a110 degree field of view) , whereas your eyes can discern as about 60 lines per degree. What this means, is that things in the distance will look a little fuzzy - for me, it feels like I need to put on my glasses, despite having corrective lenses on my PSVR2 headset. Apexes in the distance look a little fuzzy, cars in the distance look a bit fuzzy.

That being said, I love PSVR2, and can't wait for a 4000 lines of resolution at some point in the future.

As others stated, the 3D feel you get from PSVR2 can't be matched by a monitor. When you drive a track, you really feel like you're there - Mt. Fuji in the distance, Castles along the Nurb, the elevation change through Eau Rouge at Spa. Driving open cockpit cars and convertibles is amazing - as someone stated, the Xbow is incredible with its coil-over suspension in your field of view as you're driving through twists, turns and rumble strips. At first I didn't like that each car had a different tach/shift lights (some don't even have a tach) and I had to get used to each car individually. But in a way it gives each car its own character, and you end up liking some cars more than others just through the design of the gauge cluster ...and some of them are freaking works of art!

My current use model is: I race in PSVR2, and look at replays on a 4K HDR monitor. I'm doing GTWS and I feel like I am more consistent and can place the car more accurately with PSVR2 than I could when I raced with a monitor alone. I do miss the race status information: How far am I behind the leader? NFI! How far is the guy behind me? NFI! But on the other hand, I'm focused purely on the race, car placement, taking every turn without mistakes and I'm not glancing at numbers to tell me information that's not going to make a material difference in the race - especially if I'm distracted by them. IRL I do autocross which emphasizes driving precision, and I also feel that those skills help me in GT7 with PSVR2.

Bottom line: today there is a tradeoff in visual fidelity between a 4K HDR monitor and PSVR2 - But PSVR2 provides unmatched realism and presence. Perhaps a future version of PSVR will significantly close the gap.

one more thing that has to be said is that psvr2 shows how massive each track is and the elevation changes are huge. thats the first thing that really blasted me as i drove the tracks. they are massive!
This is why I just take time and drive tracks without any UI at the end of the day. It can be a '73 911 on the 'ring, a Z8 at Deep Forest or my beloved Ferrari 288 GTO at Sainte Croix C.

And now I'm breaking in a new rig (NLR GT Racer - early Father's Day gift) and it's glorious.

Now this is what I'm talking about, get this into a PSVR3 headset and it would be harder to distinguish VR from reality. Still probably ~35 lines per degree, but much better than the current 19 lines per degree.

"LG shows off VR display with 10,000 nits of brightness"​

"Beyond the astounding brightness LG is claiming, the OLEDoS VR display is said to be capable of 3840 x 3840 resolution and a 4,175 DPI pixel density. For comparison, the Sony PSVR 2 has a resolution of 2,000 x 2,040 pixels per eye."

"Beyond the astounding brightness LG is claiming, the OLEDoS VR display is said to be capable of 3840 x 3840 resolution and a 4,175 DPI pixel density.
Extra, we'll need a PS7 though to have enough power to see all the potential of such a headset 😊

Last edited:
I am still on the fence about PSVR2 being worth it or not if the only game I might use it with is GT7. I tried it out quite a bit with the game and was absolutely blown away by the sensation of it all, feeling like things in the car are within arms reach and feeling the elevation changes and the environments in a more realistic way.

I also felt like it made me a better racer being able to more precisely handle the car, but two things that really made it a hard sell to me was how quickly I felt motion sickness from it and also that my eyes never seemed to properly adjust, so the game felt slightly blurry no matter what I tried.

I think if there were more games I like I could justify the price and maybe solve the issue with the blurriness of GT7. Hell, if the PSVR1 backlog of games worked with PSVR2 I'd have bought it by now.

Extra, we'll need a PS7 though to have enough power to see all the potential of such a headset 😊
It "only" needs to be able to drive 6K at 120Hz to power two 4K displays at 120hz.. That would be equivalent to 8K at 60hz. Not beyond the realm of achievable.

It "only" needs to be able to drive 6K at 120Hz to power two 4K displays at 120hz.. That would be equivalent to 8K at 60hz. Not beyond the realm of achievable.
That's not what I've said. But how much powerfull the PS? should be compared to the PS5 to allow such bandwidth ? Do you think PS6 will be that powerful ?

Do you think PS6 will be that powerful ?
No idea but graphics and chip technology has come a long way. Given the PS6 probably will not be out for another 3/4 years and it is probably being designed with today's chip capabilities, perhaps not. But considering Nvideo was promoting 8K gaming with the 3090, old tech now, who knows, but probably not as a 3090 costs over twice a PS5.

Now this is what I'm talking about, get this into a PSVR3 headset and it would be harder to distinguish VR from reality. Still probably ~35 lines per degree, but much better than the current 19 lines per degree.

"LG shows off VR display with 10,000 nits of brightness"​

"Beyond the astounding brightness LG is claiming, the OLEDoS VR display is said to be capable of 3840 x 3840 resolution and a 4,175 DPI pixel density. For comparison, the Sony PSVR 2 has a resolution of 2,000 x 2,040 pixels per eye."

I'll be honest, I don't think I want 10,000 nits right in front of my eyeballs. Maybe we don't need to go that far. If I want that experience I can go stare at the sun.

No idea but graphics and chip technology has come a long way. Given the PS6 probably will not be out for another 3/4 years and it is probably being designed with today's chip capabilities, perhaps not. But considering Nvideo was promoting 8K gaming with the 3090, old tech now, who knows, but probably not as a 3090 costs over twice a PS5.
The issue is not the capacities of current (or even older) hardware, but the fact that you need to shoehorn it in a small box with a "low" pricetag. I am sure that with a PS5+++ costing 2k $ we can have that kind of performances (plus a new PSVR $+++), but to obtain that under let's say 600$ is another story.

8K gaming
As a formular: Pixel density, display size and distance between eye and display dont require this at all.
Also spending the extra power not on "unreasonable resolutions" but instead of "guaranted FPS" is why more beneficial for gamers.
And with some free processing power left, add other qualities that are not just more pixels no one is going to see anyway.

I was not saying 8K gaming, but for stereoscopic 4K at a high frame rate of 120fps, you need the processing capability of 6k/120 which is equivalent to 8k/60.

I am still on the fence about PSVR2 being worth it or not if the only game I might use it with is GT7. I tried it out quite a bit with the game and was absolutely blown away by the sensation of it all, feeling like things in the car are within arms reach and feeling the elevation changes and the environments in a more realistic way.
GT7 is the only game I play. While I've tried a few other games hither and yon (VR Poker gets a play about once a week or two) I maintain the PSVR2 is the single greatest upgrade I've had in my Gran Turismo career. I started playing with Gran Turismo and never looked back.

The PSVR2 I put ahead of all the wheels I owned, pedals, Next Level Racing Wheel Stand . . . even my new GT Racer rig.

And the hits keep on coming. Last night I was in a 356 and now that I'm in my new rig . . . I can look behind me more easily. Before, I may hit the couch. Now, there's nothing there to stop me. In order to get a better look at the tiny rear seats, I reflexively tried to put my hand on the passenger seat.

Nothing but air.

These moments only come from VR.
I also felt like it made me a better racer being able to more precisely handle the car,
Boy howdy, this is me.
but two things that really made it a hard sell to me was how quickly I felt motion sickness from it and also that my eyes never seemed to properly adjust, so the game felt slightly blurry no matter what I tried.
There is an outstanding guide on GT Planet - and it's on their YouTube channel - going over how to adjust to the PSVR2. Worked wonders for me!

Last edited:
As a formular: Pixel density, display size and distance between eye and display dont require this at all.
Also spending the extra power not on "unreasonable resolutions" but instead of "guaranted FPS" is why more beneficial for gamers.
And with some free processing power left, add other qualities that are not just more pixels no one is going to see anyway.
It will be around 2027+\-, I expect at least 4k with a solid 120fps with hdr enabled. More really. Ive seen plenty of 4 and 8k footage coming out of RED’s,and Arri’s.. personally the difference is, hit you in the face obvious. And thats just for shooting speaking humans. Lets put it this way. I sit 9ft from a 72” lg g3 its nice kit. However, if the NHL were to broadcast in 8k the differences would be so dramatic i’d be buying an 8k the next day.

Fwiw. Those pixel density/distance numbers bandied around for the last decade are total 💩 Once you’ve seen it directly out of the hopper.

The issue is not the capacities of current (or even older) hardware, but the fact that you need to shoehorn it in a small box with a "low" pricetag. I am sure that with a PS5+++ costing 2k $ we can have that kind of performances (plus a new PSVR $+++), but to obtain that under let's say 600$ is another story.
One thing to keep in mind is that with foveated rendering, only a small amount of the field of view needs to be rendered at 8k, the rest can be 1K (or even less) and the user will never notice, so I really don't think it would take more than a 2x increase in GPU compute power to accomplish this. Note that compute power increase is a little over 2x from one PS generation to the next. It's even possible that from a compute perspective it might be done with a PS5 with some tradeoffs (eg reducing the foveated rendering field of view currently rendered at 4K for PSVR2). PS5 does support UHD (7620x4320), so dual 3800x3800 is not out of the range of possibility.
It will be around 2027+\-, I expect at least 4k with a solid 120fps with hdr enabled. More really. Ive seen plenty of 4 and 8k footage coming out of RED’s,and Arri’s.. personally the difference is, hit you in the face obvious. And thats just for shooting speaking humans. Lets put it this way. I sit 9ft from a 72” lg g3 its nice kit. However, if the NHL were to broadcast in 8k the differences would be so dramatic i’d be buying an 8k the next day.

Fwiw. Those pixel density/distance numbers bandied around for the last decade are total 💩 Once you’ve seen it directly out of the hopper.
I agree 2027 +\+ :D for PS6, with 2x the compute power, and scalpers already licking their chops.

This is why I just take time and drive tracks without any UI at the end of the day. It can be a '73 911 on the 'ring, a Z8 at Deep Forest or my beloved Ferrari 288 GTO at Sainte Croix C.

And now I'm breaking in a new rig (NLR GT Racer - early Father's Day gift) and it's glorious.
cool. yes no hud is amazing to see.

Back